The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

What DPS should I aim for before attempting Vet DLC trials?

Eedat
Eedat
✭✭✭✭✭
I play Magsorc dd and Templar healer mainly and my DPS is currently 60k on the Iron Atro. I see 80k dps getting tossed around a lot and some people up to 100k. I was wondering what DPS I should aim for or if 60k is enough to get my foot in the door for perfected sets.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    60k is enough
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    60K is enough for most of them. vHOF is the one where there might be a degree of difficulty if everyone is 60K. Some guilds prefer 80K+ for things like vMOL and vHOF, but that's more of a speed/score issue than an ability-to-clear thing.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There arent a "lot" of people hitting 100k (stamplar jabs spamming doesnt count), especially on magic DPS. Sure people are doing it, but common, it is not. Assuming you have reasonable gear, 60-70k will be fine for most trials. No reason you cant break 80 with a little practice on any class, but its not necessary, and you certainly don't need BIS gear to do it. Dive in, the water is warm.

Good support players (especially tanks) are the key to clearing most trials, not overwhelming DPS. Dont get me wrong, Overwhelming DPS is my favorite (the easiest) way to do it, but its not necessary. haha
  • Thoragaal
    Thoragaal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eedat wrote: »
    I play Magsorc dd and Templar healer mainly and my DPS is currently 60k on the Iron Atro. I see 80k dps getting tossed around a lot and some people up to 100k. I was wondering what DPS I should aim for or if 60k is enough to get my foot in the door for perfected sets.

I'd say on a normal dummy (without all those fancy trial buffs) you're more than good enough if you have 30k dps.
    That's assuming you know the mechanics and don't wanna skip certain bits due to extremely high dps.
    Edited by Thoragaal on December 3, 2020 9:25PM
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
    "I've always wanted to kick a duck up the arse" -Karl Pilkington, on the question what he'd do if it was the last day on earth.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep in mind that the Iron Atro just received more buffs and debuffs, resulting in dummy DPS increasing by about 10k, while DPS in trials wasn’t increased. Some groups have adjusted for this change, others haven’t. I probably would’ve said 70k for comfortable vet DLC trials a few weeks ago, but now that means 80k on the Iron Atro. A group with 70k average DPS on the new Iron Atro should be able to clear, but it will be significantly harder. I’m not sure about 60k average for vet DLC’s (meaning a full group where everyone was hitting around 50k on the dummy before it was upgraded), might need a few 80k’s in the group then to bring the average up.
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on December 3, 2020 10:21PM
  • Everest_Lionheart
    Everest_Lionheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quality of team over Quantity of DPS. Our guild asks for 45K for Craglorns and 65K for DLC. We take people on the bubble that are putting in work 40K is acceptable for crags if someone is working at it, we have a few 80+ to offset the losses. Better for a player to get some experience than to be locked out. 65 is a pretty hard number for us for DLC though. We will fill with 62-63K in case one of the regular players are out but it’s generally someone that is good at dungeon mechs and will pick up the trial mechs fast. The reason being DLC has more hard DPS checks throughout the trial and you prefer to have as many people of the cap as possible.
  • Kurat
    Kurat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Low dps puts more pressure on support roles. If support can handle it and ok with it then even 40k on iron atro will do lol.
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on the trial. The dps checkpoints at vhof are more about a controlled burn. Vmol was meant for a different time, when dps was much lower. VAS is more mechanics based. VKA's dps checkpoints are their tough trash mobs. None of those trials really calls for anything greater than 60k dps. VSS might require more burn for fire dragon. VCR might require more burn at execute.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It comes down to the trial and the guild you run with for starters. There are "training" guilds that work with players that are learning. Those guilds tend to have lower requirements than the more competitive raid guilds. The better guilds of these types have experienced competitive raiders running with them to help other learn the strats.

I see 60k being tossed around but I am pretty sure most vet trials can be cleared with much less average DPS. Granted, all fights do become more challenging with lower dps because the fights tend to last longer which means dealing with more mechanics. vHoF has a firm time limit for the burn phase in the last boss as their is a stacking debuff increasing the damage the group takes but it is not to bad unless HM is activated.

The best trials to start with are the Craglorn trials, especially vAA. They are the oldest and easiest trials in the game. Trials start getting more involved with mechanics after Craglorn with some being more intense than others as Drdeath noted vAS being one of the more involved mechanic-wise.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    60k is unequivocally easily enough for vet dlc dungeons and trials.

Vet dlc content can be comfortably done with dps around the 30k mark, below that it just may take a bit longer.
    Edited by Grianasteri on December 4, 2020 3:45PM
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Drdeath20 wrote: »
    Depends on the trial. The dps checkpoints at vhof are more about a controlled burn. Vmol was meant for a different time, when dps was much lower. VAS is more mechanics based. VKA's dps checkpoints are their tough trash mobs. None of those trials really calls for anything greater than 60k dps. VSS might require more burn for fire dragon. VCR might require more burn at execute.

Definitely. I'm still trying to figure out the point of VKA. Its not the gear. More of a "I do it because it is there" thing.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Definitely. I'm still trying to figure out the point of VKA. Its not the gear. More of a "I do it because it is there" thing.

Some people just run trials for fun instead of to grind sets. Also, Roaring Opportunist is a strong set for healers.

I will admit vKA does lack interesting mechanics though.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Danksta wrote: »

Some people just run trials for fun instead of to grind sets. Also, Roaring Opportunist is a strong set for healers.

I will admit vKA does lack interesting mechanics though.

Agree, gear isn't the only reason I run trials, but it is a primary motivator. I'm not saying I haven't run VKA, several times in fact. Trials and vet dungeons are my favorite content. But VKA is my least favorite trial, mostly because of the adds, especially that last mob.

Now, with the advent of the sticker book, I'd rather run the others where I use the gear. Something needs to be done with VKA. Still think that a major change is coming to penetration, and the sets in VKA are part of that speculation.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you think that when the first DLC trial came out dps was much lower than what it is now (not counting the 'inflation' of the new atro dummy), then you shouldn't really be worried about it. People who 'pad 3 burn' Rakhat nowadays would be lost if they had to do lunar phase, because damage is so much higher now, that some mechanics become obsolete. Even if you have low numbers on the normal dummy, but you execute mechanics accurately, and have good environmental awareness, you can start raiding in vet DLC trials. The most important thing is to maintain that damage while doing mechanics. You can see a great dummy parse, and then very low trial parses (some of it has to do with the nature of the fight, for eg., if it's a very mobile fight etc.), but a lot of it has to do with not being able to keep up the damage while obeying the mechanics of the fight. I'd say keep improving your rotation and parse damage, but start learning the trials with a training guild as soon as you are able too, and training guild by virtue of being new player friendly, will not ask for very high parses anyway.
  • Snow_White
    Snow_White
    ✭✭✭
    Edit....
    Edited by Snow_White on December 5, 2020 5:24AM