The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What is the stealth movement speed penalty?

Araneae6537
Araneae6537
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I’ve searched and can only think I must be using the wrong key words. What is the movement speed penalty while crouched? 50%? I am looking at ways to maximize speed while stealthed (without vampirism) and need to know whether a set that removes the speed penalty (such as Shadow Dancer) be more helpful than a set that provides an overall movement speed buff (such as Jailbreaker). I imagine that it would be since the bonus is to one movement only as versus all, but it would be helpful to have the numbers.

Also, is the movement speed cap the same in stealth as normal movement? Or the same only if you remove the penalty in addition the bolstering speed 100%?

Edited to fix ridiculous typo! :lol:
Edited by Araneae6537 on November 30, 2020 7:19PM

Best Answers

• Melivar
    Melivar
    ✭✭✭
    I also couldn't find the actual penalty but I think it is 50% based on how it feels to sneak on a non sneaky character, but there is a crafted set that removes the penalty so you can get it in whatever weight you want/need.

Night's Silence: (crafted)
    (5 items) Ignore Movement Speed penalty of Sneak.

Also Alcast has a decent guide that recommends being a vampire but might give you the info you need to theory craft to meet you goals.

https://alcasthq.com/eso-fast-gold-farming-build-pve/

Good luck
    Answer ✓
  • MinnesotaKid
    MinnesotaKid
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what the penalties / percentages are but if you're on PC you can get an accurate readout of your speed using an add-on called Racing Panel.
    MinnesotaKid

Answer ✓
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Melivar wrote: »
    I also couldn't find the actual penalty but I think it is 50% based on how it feels to sneak on a non sneaky character, but there is a crafted set that removes the penalty so you can get it in whatever weight you want/need.

Night's Silence: (crafted)
    (5 items) Ignore Movement Speed penalty of Sneak.

Also Alcast has a decent guide that recommends being a vampire but might give you the info you need to theory craft to meet you goals.

https://alcasthq.com/eso-fast-gold-farming-build-pve/

Good luck
    I'm not sure what the penalties / percentages are but if you're on PC you can get an accurate readout of your speed using an add-on called Racing Panel.

That’s so weird that the actual numbers/percentage of the speed penalty is not known, but that would explain why I could not find it. Thank you both for the info! :)
  • Pixiepumpkin
    Pixiepumpkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

does this still work? i went to download it but it has not been updated in over a year and comments say its broken
    "𝕰𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝕲𝖔𝖉𝖘 𝖉𝖎𝖘𝖑𝖎𝖐𝖊 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖆𝖇𝖘𝖔𝖑𝖚𝖙𝖊, 𝖋𝖔𝖗 𝖎𝖙 𝖘𝖙𝖎𝖓𝖐𝖘 𝖔𝖋 𝖘𝖔𝖒𝖊𝖙𝖍𝖎𝖓𝖌 𝖑𝖆𝖗𝖌𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖍𝖆𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊𝖒𝖘𝖊𝖑𝖛𝖊𝖘." ― Sotha Sil
    PC/NA
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You want Night's Silence, combine with with an detection distance reduction set or two as in 4 x Darloc Brae and 3 x Night Terror both are pretty cheap overland set, craft weapons.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    You want Night's Silence, combine with with an detection distance reduction set or two as in 4 x Darloc Brae and 3 x Night Terror both are pretty cheap overland set, craft weapons.

Thank you for the recommendations! Right now I’m using Shadow Dancer weapons and jewelry and medium armor (Two Moon Acolyte) on my Khajiit magicka nightblade so I do also get the additional speed bonus from Hidden Blade and can cast Cloak on demand. I could use the Steed mundus but currently have the Lover to get the spell penetration I lose by not using light armor. I think getting the Ring of the Wild Hunt would do the most to further increase my speed although I’ll then have to sacrifice an armor set bonus... I guess I’ll probably drop Balorgh in favor of keeping two five-piece sets. Am I trying to do too many different things or things which don’t mix? :sweat_smile:
    Edited by Araneae6537 on December 4, 2020 5:46PM
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the recommendations! Right now I’m using Shadow Dancer weapons and jewelry and medium armor (Two Moon Acolyte) on my Khajiit magicka nightblade so I do also get the additional speed bonus from Hidden Blade and can cast Cloak on demand. I could use the Steed mundus but currently have the Love to get the spell penetration I lose by not using light armor. I think getting the Ring of the Wild Hunt would do the most to further increase my speed although I’ll then have to sacrifice an armor set bonus... I guess I’ll probably drop Balorgh in favor of keeping two five-piece sets. Am I trying to do too many different things or things which don’t mix? :sweat_smile:
    My build was for an stealing and heist not for combat, yes you have no issues with overland npc but not much more.
    With 3x 2 m stealth reduction on an Khajiit npc will not see you until you do something like steal, they will bump you out of their way. Ring of the wild hunt negates most of the sneak speed penalty anyway and I found doing the DB missions with it and Night's Silence made you a bit too fast at least with keyboard and mouse where you only has one speed.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • SpiritofESO
    SpiritofESO
    ✭✭✭
    I’ve searched and can only think I must be using the wrong key words. What is the movement speed penalty while crouched? 50%? I am looking at ways to maximize speed while stealthed (without vampirism) and need to know whether a set that removes the speed penalty (such as Shadow Dancer) be more helpful than a set that provides an overall movement speed buff (such as Jailbreaker). I imagine that it would be since the bonus is to one movement only as versus all, but it would be helpful to have the numbers.

Also, is the movement speed cap the same in stealth as normal movement? Or the same only if you remove the penalty in addition the bolstering speed 100%?

Edited to fix ridiculous typo! :lol:

~~~

You can "walk" and move up to "run" while stealthed -- but not Sprint. You stand upright while "running" ( but sprinting will remove Sneak).

I always -- for "quality of life" for my Bosmer Nightblade -- wear a five-piece set of Night's Silence, medium armor, (Shadow Dancer for light armor) which removes the Sneak movement penalty.

This leaves you -- depending on which items you use -- to have a second five-piece set consisting of three pieces of jewelry and two 1H weapons or one 2H weapon. What remains -- if you work it out correctly is an open head and shoulder slot for the Undaunted (or other) "Monster/Dungeon" set where TWO items gives you the full two-item buffs.

Since you have seven pieces of armor, two weapon slots (DW or 2H, your choice), and three jewelry slots, that comes to 12 pieces which can be five-five-and-two for some significant buffs. Only the head-and-shoulder (no, no, not the shampoo) slots are unchangeable for the Monster sets, but the other slots can be mixed and matched.

:smiley:

• ~ PS NA ~ ALDMERI DOMINION ~
    • IVY GOLDBLADE, WOOD ELF NIGHTBLADE, Former Empress
    • IVY GOLDBLAZE, HIGH ELF TEMPLAR
    • "Adapt or Die"
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the recommendations! Right now I’m using Shadow Dancer weapons and jewelry and medium armor (Two Moon Acolyte) on my Khajiit magicka nightblade so I do also get the additional speed bonus from Hidden Blade and can cast Cloak on demand. I could use the Steed mundus but currently have the Love to get the spell penetration I lose by not using light armor. I think getting the Ring of the Wild Hunt would do the most to further increase my speed although I’ll then have to sacrifice an armor set bonus... I guess I’ll probably drop Balorgh in favor of keeping two five-piece sets. Am I trying to do too many different things or things which don’t mix? :sweat_smile:
    My build was for an stealing and heist not for combat, yes you have no issues with overland npc but not much more.
    With 3x 2 m stealth reduction on an Khajiit npc will not see you until you do something like steal, they will bump you out of their way. Ring of the wild hunt negates most of the sneak speed penalty anyway and I found doing the DB missions with it and Night's Silence made you a bit too fast at least with keyboard and mouse where you only has one speed.

That makes sense. Above a certain point, extra stealth speed does not feel helpful for thievery; perhaps the only place it would be useful is overland farming as you can zip between resources unseen by enemies.

I was hoping there might also be a use in some form of PvP... Right now I have Shadow Dancer, Hidden Blade (Nightblade), and Ring of the Wild Hunt and I can fly in stealth and cloak at will! :lol: It is very squishy, but that may be an acceptable trade-off if I can work on better utilizing my shadow, going in and out of stealth, etc. I should also slot Evasion for all the people going around surrounded by circles of red!