The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

In Game Gold Supply Question

Ecileh71
Ecileh71
✭✭✭
Does the in-game available gold work like it does in the real world in that there is a limited supply of money available to all players, or will the supply expand automatically with demand?

I ask because I hear of "gold sinks" like housing, etc and I am sitting on quite a large pile of gold in my bank--wondering if I should be spending more and saving less in order to stimulate the Tamriellian economy, or continue in my quest to be a virtual billionaire. ;)
  • Starlight_Whisper
    Starlight_Whisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No limited supply but gold sinks control the supply. Like I spent probably 4 million just buying houses in eso. There's another 2 million at least spent on decorationing my favorite haunted house. Which a lot of came from luxury vendor...so into the void it went.
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Also trader bingo is a big gold sink in this game. Likely THE big gold sink.
  • Ecileh71
    Ecileh71
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, guys. I was saving up to buy a second house, but I really can't find the right one. Most are WAY too big for my tastes and the ones that are not are not located in convenient places.

I will continue to hoard my gold and hope something perfect comes along.
  • Runefang
    Runefang
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    rpa wrote: »

Probably second biggest to repairs. Every single player has to repair compared to the small number of players who contribute to trade guild location purchases.
  • Starlight_Whisper
    Starlight_Whisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ecileh71 wrote: »
    Thanks, guys. I was saving up to buy a second house, but I really can't find the right one. Most are WAY too big for my tastes and the ones that are not are not located in convenient places.

Medium ones are best value since you can actually decorate them without running out of slots.
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Runefang wrote: »

Probably second biggest to repairs. Every single player has to repair compared to the small number of players who contribute to trade guild location purchases.

Most everyone I know gets an unlimited supply of grand repair kits from doing daily crafting writs, I haven't paid a dime to repair gear in over 8 months. All those guild traders sucking 2-20 million/week each from the game, now that is huge.
  • NettleCarrier
    NettleCarrier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kwoung wrote: »

Most everyone I know gets an unlimited supply of grand repair kits from doing daily crafting writs, I haven't paid a dime to repair gear in over 8 months. All those guild traders sucking 2-20 million/week each from the game, now that is huge.

20 Million? Them's rookie numbers, lol.
    GM of Gold Coast Corsairs - PCNA
  • ssewallb14_ESO
    ssewallb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does mirror IRL economies a bit in that ZOS seems to aim for mild and steady inflation over time, so you will be losing wealth if your gold just sits in the bank over long periods of time.
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The gold supply expands. The game is constantly creating gold out of thin air. The 29 gold you got from killing that mob? New money added to supply. The 664 gold for handing in that quest? New money. The 212 gold for selling that ornate piece of gear to an NPC vendor? New money. That 15,000 in Undaunted Plunder from running a Vet Trial? New money.

I would not spend money just for the sake of spending money. But if you have any urge to buy something, go ahead. Money in the bank earns no interest. There are no Hlaalu hedge funds to invest in. While inflation is pretty mild, your gold is worth ever so slightly less every day. Keep some around for unexpected expenses, like if an item shows up at the golden vendor that you really want, or a piece of furniture at the luxury vendor, or you want to gold out a weapon and want to just buy the upgrade mats instead of harvesting/farming them. But other than that, gold is not really good for anything in the game other than spending it.
  • Kurat
    Kurat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Gold is piling up for me and there's nowhere to sink it unless you're running trade guild and bidding. All the houses you can buy with gold are meh and dont cost that much anyways. And the nice houses can only be bought with crowns. I have bought occasional motif or recipe but even their prices have gone down because so many people playing and farming.
    More gold is coming in than going out for me. And just by playing the game. I get motifs from vet dlc dungeons and know them all so I sell them, and plunder from trials. Also mats from deconning gear. Doing vet content gives you tons of purple and gold jewelry and plantings sell well and prices only going up.
    I wish there was something to spend gold in this game.
  • NoSoup
    NoSoup
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think with how spastic pricing has gone on many mats the in game economy doesn't need any stimulating, soon we'll all be walking around with wheelbarrows of cash due to the hyperinflation.....
    Formally SirDopey, lost forum account during the great reset.....
  • EllieBlue
    EllieBlue
    ✭✭✭✭

Have you seen the Enchanted Snow Globe Home? It should be back in the Crown Store around now as it comes with Xmas theme. My favourite house, ever! When you port out of it, the wayshrine is just next to it.
    Nirn Traders GM (est 2015)
    PC EU
    Semi-retired. Playing games for fun. Super casual.
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EllieBlue wrote: »

Have you seen the Enchanted Snow Globe Home? It should be back in the Crown Store around now as it comes with Xmas theme. My favourite house, ever! When you port out of it, the wayshrine is just next to it.

its crown only so it will require gifting, which means finding someone trustworthy and within trustworthy sources, crown to gold prices have been going way up lately. way WAY up.
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • Kwoung
    Kwoung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Linaleah wrote: »
    its crown only so it will require gifting, which means finding someone trustworthy and within trustworthy sources, crown to gold prices have been going way up lately. way WAY up.

It's only going crazy on TCE because they seem to have a shortage of sellers. Most all guilds I am in or aware of with Crown Exchanges keep it pretty reasonable for members. Apparently many sellers would rather "keep it at home" and support their guilds/guildies than sell their crowns through a 3rd party service.

• Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's only going crazy on TCE because they seem to have a shortage of sellers. Most all guilds I am in or aware of with Crown Exchanges keep it pretty reasonable for members. Apparently many sellers would rather "keep it at home" and support their guilds/guildies than sell their crowns through a 3rd party service.

I don't use TCE. I have seen prices go up consistently on other exchanges as well, and even a very personal guildy/friend only by invitation exchange had prices go up. if there are a few people who are still keeping it low for their guildies - lucky guildies. overall though I'm seeing a trend of crown exchange prices going up. even within guildies selling to guildies, prices are going up. /shrug not going to blame them. I would imagine being so far away from crown sale, coupled with performance issues so people are less willing to buy crowns even when there is a sale, might something to do with it.
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
  • Ecileh71
    Ecileh71
    ✭✭✭

I do like that one!

I was really hoping for a medium-sized house in either Western Skyrim or the Reach...out in the wilderness like the free one is, but smaller. Two or three rooms is plenty for me. I can't seem to find anything that isn't either one room or a mansion.
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I do like that one!

I was really hoping for a medium-sized house in either Western Skyrim or the Reach...out in the wilderness like the free one is, but smaller. Two or three rooms is plenty for me. I can't seem to find anything that isn't either one room or a mansion.

what about a house in eastmarch? specifically windhelm? it doesn't have outdoors, but it has 2 floors with separate rooms, its a very lovely log cabin IMO. there is also a larger version of it WITH outside, in Rift, but its well... large.
    dirty worthless casual.
  • Ecileh71
    Ecileh71
    ✭✭✭

what about a house in eastmarch? specifically windhelm? it doesn't have outdoors, but it has 2 floors with separate rooms, its a very lovely log cabin IMO. there is also a larger version of it WITH outside, in Rift, but its well... large.

Hmm. I don't recall that one--will have to go look. Thank you!
  • nukk3r
    nukk3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭

20 mil is the difference between front row and back row traders in some cities.
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I am really enjoying Still Water's Retreat. Most people who purchase the property focus on the lake area, or what I call the back yard. I put my focus on the building instead. I made a second floor, there is a comfortable amount of ceiling height on the ground floor and the floor I made. I think I furnished it with around 500 slots. I did use some of the backyard, which takes up the remaining slots.

It does not offer a lot for convenience though. There is a wayshrine out front,
    Kurat wrote: »
    Gold is piling up for me and there's nowhere to sink it unless you're running trade guild and bidding. All the houses you can buy with gold are meh and dont cost that much anyways. And the nice houses can only be bought with crowns. I have bought occasional motif or recipe but even their prices have gone down because so many people playing and farming.
    More gold is coming in than going out for me. And just by playing the game. I get motifs from vet dlc dungeons and know them all so I sell them, and plunder from trials. Also mats from deconning gear. Doing vet content gives you tons of purple and gold jewelry and plantings sell well and prices only going up.
    I wish there was something to spend gold in this game.

I know REAL fast way to lose some of that gold.
    Clockwork Blacksmith Crafting Station
    Clockwork Woodworking Crafting Station
    Clockwork Clothier Station
    Clockwork Alchemy Station
    Clockwork Enchanting Station
    Clockwork Provisioning Station
    The little cat banker.
    I am on PC/NA.
    :smile:
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

sure thing. and becasue I was kinda vague - this is the log cabin without outside https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Grymharth's+Woe

this is the sameish log cabin but with the yard and larger https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Old+Mistveil+Manor

and its not Skyrim, but I'm honestly genuinely fond of this house and I think the size is just right as well https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Ravenhurst

all 3 are pretty close to wayshrines, and Grymharth especially is in pretty good location IMO.
    dirty worthless casual.
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

sure thing. and becasue I was kinda vague - this is the log cabin without outside https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Grymharth's+Woe

this is the sameish log cabin but with the yard and larger https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Old+Mistveil+Manor

and its not Skyrim, but I'm honestly genuinely fond of this house and I think the size is just right as well https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Ravenhurst

all 3 are pretty close to wayshrines, and Grymharth especially is in pretty good location IMO.

I love that house in Ravenhurst, I just wish the area felt more alive. It feels dreary and sad to me.
  • robwolf666
    robwolf666
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been hoarding my gold since I started playing, I only spent some of it on one player home (fairly recently) and it's furnishings. I don't touch Guild Traders, ridiculously over priced.
  • EvilAutoTech
    EvilAutoTech
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you like the Nord house style but Old Mistveil Manor is too large, the smaller house in the Rift is also nice. I think it's a great value also. It has a small yard and the house is about half the size of the big one. It's also kinda out in the wilderness but also not too far from towns. The biggest problem with Autumn's Gate is that the nearby towns don't have services. Though there is a set crafting area nearby.
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you like the Nord house style but Old Mistveil Manor is too large, the smaller house in the Rift is also nice. I think it's a great value also. It has a small yard and the house is about half the size of the big one. It's also kinda out in the wilderness but also not too far from towns. The biggest problem with Autumn's Gate is that the nearby towns don't have services. Though there is a set crafting area nearby.

Autumn gate is one of my faves as well. only reason i didn't bring it up was cause its technically just one room (you can partition it, but it doesn't come pre-partitioned if you will
    dirty worthless casual.
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »
    The gold supply expands. The game is constantly creating gold out of thin air. The 29 gold you got from killing that mob? New money added to supply. The 664 gold for handing in that quest? New money. The 212 gold for selling that ornate piece of gear to an NPC vendor? New money. That 15,000 in Undaunted Plunder from running a Vet Trial? New money.

I would not spend money just for the sake of spending money. But if you have any urge to buy something, go ahead. Money in the bank earns no interest. There are no Hlaalu hedge funds to invest in. While inflation is pretty mild, your gold is worth ever so slightly less every day. Keep some around for unexpected expenses, like if an item shows up at the golden vendor that you really want, or a piece of furniture at the luxury vendor, or you want to gold out a weapon and want to just buy the upgrade mats instead of harvesting/farming them. But other than that, gold is not really good for anything in the game other than spending it.

I wouldn't call it "new money" as such. More like replacement money.
    You must look at the nearly half billion in gold sink for traders EACH week. (Yes, that is a realistic number), and the millions in housing, etc. So the 149 gold you get on a mob is just recycled gold.
    My 2 drakes..... Huzzah!
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Technically there is not a limited supply of money in the real world. I have a dollar and lend you that dollar. It’s now the equivalent of two dollars.

That’s a basic look at the economics. There is several measurements of money in the economy that look at it from different angles. Lending, investments, and more can all affect to total.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't call it "new money" as such. More like replacement money.
    You must look at the nearly half billion in gold sink for traders EACH week. (Yes, that is a realistic number), and the millions in housing, etc. So the 149 gold you get on a mob is just recycled gold.

It is "new money". It's gold that's created out of thin air, by the game, being added to the system. Unlike gold shifted back & forth between players.

Repairs, guild trader bids, housing & furniture vendor purchases - those are gold sinks, destroying money & removing it from the system.

There's no recycled supply of gold, with the amount you can gain from quests/vendors/etc being limited to the amount removed from the game.

(for instance - if people stopped fighting mobs out in the world, and bidding on guild traders, and all just ran Crafting Writ dailies every day... even though no money was being removed from the system, it'd still be produced infinitely by quest rewards & vendoring Ornates. Gold produced & Gold destroyed are not linked.)
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    Technically there is not a limited supply of money in the real world. I have a dollar and lend you that dollar. It’s now the equivalent of two dollars.

That’s a basic look at the economics. There is several measurements of money in the economy that look at it from different angles. Lending, investments, and more can all affect to total.

Only because of central banking and the fiat currency created out of thin air, if we went back to a gold standard there would be a limited supply.

• kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Why choose when you can purchase all of them?

One of my favorites is Sleek Creek. Right near a thieves den and not far from town. Also made for a fine party place for my Khajiit.

HM6yD1e.jpg

SLzOYo9.jpg

ksyYRgS.jpg

A64SP6u.jpg
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."