The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How do you feel about using someone else's build?

Waffennacht
Waffennacht
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
What makes me wonder how people feel about using someone else's idea (and I mean straight up copy) is I saw a sexy templar (mag) using a rather unique set up.

While I wanted to try it out I didnt like the idea of copy and pasting (and it seemed for his setup you couldn't deviate)

So I haven't.

How do you feel about it? Ill take ideas, and if I happen to run the same as someone else thats cool too; but knowingly going full out like that? I dunno personally
Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
1300+ CP
Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • x48rph
    x48rph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it looks good and works for you why not? I often glance at builds people put out cause sometimes it gives me new ideas even if I don't just straight up copy it. And if I do so be it, it just means they came up with something that really fits my playstyle. I certainly don't always have endless hours to go test stuff so if they've done the heavy lifting already that just saves me the headache.
  • Doczy
    Doczy
    ✭✭✭
    yesterday i realized one guy in youtube using my same build&skills :D
  • x48rph
    x48rph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doczy wrote: »

lol, though it's not that surprising. When I look at StamNB builds I find 9 out of 10 use almost all the same skills. Mostly cause it's just logically the ones you'd want to use. You'd be gimping yourself not to use most of them.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doczy wrote: »

Nice lol.

Gotta mean you're doing something right!
    x48rph wrote: »
    If it looks good and works for you why not? I often glance at builds people put out cause sometimes it gives me new ideas even if I don't just straight up copy it. And if I do so be it, it just means they came up with something that really fits my playstyle. I certainly don't always have endless hours to go test stuff so if they've done the heavy lifting already that just saves me the headache.

I gotta ya. I like your take on it. How often do you feel this happens?
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • BaiterOfZergs
    BaiterOfZergs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don’t see an issue with using someone else’s build , I just hope people are aware that just because a build works for one person doesn’t mean it’ll work for them.

I only used someone else’s build once back when wardens first came out but still don’t see the issue. My issue would more so be EVERYONE running the same build.
    Zerg of House Smallscale, First of his name, wielder of Volendrung, battleground hero, Cyrodiil butcher, the swifft footed, OG of the Templars and first pvpers, defender of scrolls and baiter of zergs.
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think there is anything wrong with copying a build, but making/playing your own can be more fun/satisfying/rewarding.
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't think I've ever successfully copied someone else's build without tweaking a couple of things to better fit my playstyle and preferences. But if wouldn't have a problem just using someone's setup if it works for me.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    successful players take influence and make a build that works for them.

[Edit to remove bait]
    Edited by [Deleted User] on November 29, 2020 11:47PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    When I first play class I will copy a build from someone who plays it well and then do my own thing once I get used to it.
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    To be honest, most organised groups doing endgame PVE content are probably running builds that are so standardised you could predict 90+ percent of what’s in them anyway. One of the reasons I gave up doing content that required meta builds in the first place.

I don’t see it as much of a problem really. While I don’t think I’ve ever just copy and pasted the entire build but I’ve certainly taken large parts of them. There is a content creator on YouTube called Hack the Minotaur and I’ve adapted one of his night blade solo builds, beefed it up to about 30 Thousand health, switch the monster set and at the moment it’s chewing its way through World Bosses at a terrifying rate.

Edited by Integral1900 on November 29, 2020 3:34PM
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    If there's a build that sounds FUN to me I will play it because, oddly, i play the game for fun.

Ive gotten pretty good at making my own builds and will always favor those, as theory-crafting is half the intrigue of this game for me.
    Edited by Metemsycosis on November 29, 2020 9:37PM
    Terethea Magdalena, Breton Nightblade
    A Dark-Adapted Eye, Imperial Necromancer

sanguinare vampiris

https://m.twitch.tv/amcrenshaw/profile
  • NoSoup
    NoSoup
    ✭✭✭✭
    What makes me wonder how people feel about using someone else's idea (and I mean straight up copy) is I saw a sexy templar (mag) using a rather unique set up.

While I wanted to try it out I didnt like the idea of copy and pasting (and it seemed for his setup you couldn't deviate)

So I haven't.

How do you feel about it? Ill take ideas, and if I happen to run the same as someone else thats cool too; but knowingly going full out like that? I dunno personally

There's simply not enough variety in the game to worry about this, copy and paste away!
    Formally SirDopey, lost forum account during the great reset.....
  • Theignson
    Theignson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've tried a lot of builds and some of them just don't work for me. There are a finite number of useful builds. I don't see anything wrong with trying someone else's build. The bad part is when you go to all the trouble to put together a build and then find out within 5 minutes that it won't work for you!
    Quakrson, Stam DK, Grand Overlord
    Trackrsen, Stam Warden, Grand Overlord
    Quakrsen, Mag DK, Overlord
    Tolliverson, Stam NB, General
    Farfarel, Stam Necro, Praetorian
    Spencerson, Templar, Prefect
    Phosphorsen, Stam Sorc, Colonel
    Phosphorson, Mag Sorc, Centurion
    Glimson, Arcanist, Major
    All EP/ PC NA
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The way I feel about using someone else's build is the way I felt as a new cook and baker using other people's recipes. When I knew nothing about cooking, I needed those recipes and I needed to follow them *precisely* to get good results. If I didn't, knowing nothing about what experimenting would do, I would fail. After I'd had a lot of practice using recipes, I grew familiar enough with the process and with ingredients and method to understand exactly what I was doing and *why* I was doing it, so I could afford to start experimenting. As an experienced cook I can now make my own recipes successfully about 95% of the time, but it took working with other people's experience to get me there.
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After half a decade, you understand what’s good.

Though, I’ll never submit to skill numbing gameplay of procs doing you’re damage. They had a game that was fun and skillful that was ruined by lag. Instead of fixing the lag, they focused on demolishing gameplay.
  • Muzza45
    Muzza45
    ✭✭✭
    It's the basis of education...!
    Even better - use the build and try to improve it by adapting things to suit your specific playstyle. Publish it so others have the chance to see how it's done.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For me it's a moot point, because it never works. I therefore play my own builds.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Cirantille
    Cirantille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you don't have much knowledge about classes or sets, you need to start from somewhere
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always thought it was kind of silly how some people would treat "their" builds as though they were so super secret that they must be taken to the grave. There are vastly more players than there are functional builds, so obviously a lot of people are going to end up running the same (or very similar) setups, even without directly copying one another. You really shouldn't be bothered by who does or does not run the same build, or where you got the idea(s) from; it's not like a PvP build in ESO is some grand work of art, or the culmination of many years worth of difficult research.
    Edited by wheem_ESO on November 30, 2020 9:54AM
  • danthemann5
    danthemann5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't invent the wheel, but I still drive a car. I'm not Mozart, but I play his music. Builds are no different.

I run many different builds; some are my own creation, some the work of others. When I find one that I think works well, I will share it with anyone that asks. If a build I'm using is the work of someone else, I make sure to give credit where credit is due.

Is not the whole point of an online community to have a shared experience?
    ZeniMax has no obligation to correct any errors or defects in the Services.

Greetings! We've closed this thread due to its non-constructive nature.

"You know you don't have to be here right?" - ZOS_RichLambert
  • The Uninvited
    The Uninvited
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually come to the same builds by figuring it out myself. Logical, because there are only so many set combo's that are BIS for a particular patch. So I sometimes check what their CP allocation is, because that is where the most difference is.
    Pandora's Promise (rip) | LND | Pactriotic | IKnowWhatUDidLastWinter's | The Uninvited |

Ride the paranoia | All life is pain | Only the grave is real
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have used some of Alcasts build ideas to get a character up and running and then tweaked them to fit my playstyle.

If the build info is out there, i don't see any reason to not use it.
    idea.gif

• vestahls
    vestahls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's posted with the intention of people copying it, why not? It probably flatters the build creator.

I don't have to feel too guilty anyway though, because I only last so long until I start changing skills or sets. I think it's hard to make a build which is 100% impermeable in this game, you won't find a complete fit for all situations, all of them need to be adapted to your playstyle.
    “He is even worse than a n'wah. He is - may Vivec forgive me for uttering this word - a Hlaalu.”
    luv Abnur
    luv Rigurt
    luv Stibbons

'ate Ayrenn
    'ate Razum-dar
    'ate Khamira

simple as
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I definitely do it on occasion. But usually its more of a starting point. I have some preferences with different classes that most build guides don't account for. But I use copied builds far more for PVE content than PVP content.
  • erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So many weirdos think theyre super special with their fancy build. Why does each player have to reinvent the wheel?
  • UGotBenched91
    UGotBenched91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn’t bother me a bit. I often use other people’s builds as I don’t have time to delve into understanding builds and different sets. This game is just a hobby for me so it saves time to just lookup a build and copy.
  • Sheuib
    Sheuib
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am constantly trying new builds. I don't copy other people's build. But, I will look at what I am fighting and get ideas from what I am fighting against. So, if I see someone doing something that is really working good I will give it a try. Most of them I end up not liking because it doesn't really match how I play but it does show me how to counter those builds.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suppose its more than just someone else's build. But very common things too. Like WB (DS) ever since the juggling back in the day ive been rather distant from any build that uses the ability lol
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Pauwer
    Pauwer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 3rd char, a magsorc, i first made using a build from the internets. It was the worst character i have ever played. I had to fix it myself. I just can't play other peoples builds. They blow.
  • TheBonesXXX
    TheBonesXXX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I typically run hybrids, since hybrids are more feasible they're of my own design.

My current project is a 2h/Destro build where I'll run new moon on the body / buffer on the jewelry weapons. Arterial strike procs crystal frags.