The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Trying to justify switch to PC from PS4

Duece09
Duece09
I am an off and on ESO player. However all of my time thus far has been spent on the PS4. All in all I think Im around 500 champion points give or take. I have played console my entire life and I’m 38 years old so it’s been a while LOL. I have always wanted to play ESO on PC and I finally have a Computer powerful enough to do so at high settings.

I’ve tried messing around with ESO a little bit here and there the last few days and I cannot get used to the controls for the life of me. Mouse and keyboard seems very unintuitive, awkward and clunky to me. I know you PC players out there are saying the same thing about controller, but I guess it’s all what we are used to. On top of that I have all of the DLC‘s and my time and money spent on the console version but I really want to like it on PC. Anyone out there like me? Did you make the switch? How did you get used to the controls? Is it smart to just start clean and fresh but have to buy everything all over again and invest all that time? Is it really that much better on PC?
  • Elrond87
    Elrond87
    ✭✭✭
    Just plug in the controller on pc if you cant or don't want to get used to keyboard and mouse, i cant get used to controllers mouse keyboard feels a lot easier more precise but as you say just used to it, is it possible to transfer your account? they did it from pc to playstation when i tried it on playstation from what i remember
    PC|EU
    Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive. Elbert Hubbard

"If you are depressed you are living in the past if you are anxious you are living in the future, if you are at peace, you are living in the present." Lao Tzu

To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. Oscar Wilde
  • method__01
    method__01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    install DS4Windows,plug your ps4 controller-also works if you have a bluetooth adaptor so no need for a cable- and ready
    PC EU/NA /// PS4 EU/NA

• Duece09
    Duece09
    Elrond87 wrote: »
    Just plug in the controller on pc if you cant or don't want to get used to keyboard and mouse, i cant get used to controllers mouse keyboard feels a lot easier more precise but as you say just used to it, is it possible to transfer your account? they did it from pc to playstation when i tried it on playstation from what i remember

Unfortunately there is no transfer of accounts from ps4 to pc.
  • Calm_Fury
    Calm_Fury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have spent 3 years on Xbox. 1000 CP, around 2.5k hours since 2015 until around 2018. 18 Characters, all max level, full Writ Crafters. All Chapters, several mounts, houses, Mundus Stones. About 35 million gold last time I logged in.

Then I bought the PC game just to have Combat Metrics. I play on a 2014 MacBook Pro.

Not only does my 2014 MacBook Pro runs ESO better than my Xbox One (VCR), addons are a whole other matter.

I completely switched to PC, even with 1/3 of the characters, 1/6 of the gold and 1/3 of the hours played.

Unfortunately ESO still lacks in several areas that only addons can compensate. Go to PC, regrind everythhing. It will be worth it.

EDIT: Also, forgot to say, I could NEVER get used to keyboard and mouse. Tried for MONTHS. Literally. Then I just plugged my Xbox Elite Controller and played exactly as I would if it was on console.
    Edited by Calm_Fury on November 27, 2020 4:21AM
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You do have several controller options yeah. Xbox controller should work out of the box basically.

If you take the time to set up Steam controller it can be very rewarding.

Lots of people who come to PC do it for the quality-of-life addons. I'm also told it's a very different sort of community which some prefer.

Unfortunately setting up addons isn't on/off switch (it's not hard either, but takes a few minutes). But once you *do* get a couple addons, it's night and day.
    PC NA
  • Calm_Fury
    Calm_Fury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fennwitty wrote: »
    You do have several controller options yeah. Xbox controller should work out of the box basically.

If you take the time to set up Steam controller it can be very rewarding.

Lots of people who come to PC do it for the quality-of-life addons. I'm also told it's a very different sort of community which some prefer.

Unfortunately setting up addons isn't on/off switch (it's not hard either, but takes a few minutes). But once you *do* get a couple addons, it's night and day.

The Elite Controller is so awesome that is even, somehow, remembered that I had my bar swap mapped to one of the back pads.
  • Kurat
    Kurat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Addons and higher fps are worth it.
  • Carthelion
    Carthelion
    ✭✭✭
    I've gone from PC to console 4 years ago when I moved house.
    Honestly, stick with it. I can't think of a single upside a console has over PC. I miss navigating menus, searching auctions, typing in chat is a clunky mess on console. Not to mention add-ons for PC, even just some quality of life ones like showing skyshards and books on the map.
    I recommend a razor or gaming mouse. Changed my MMO life that did.
    God I miss PC 😭
  • Calm_Fury
    Calm_Fury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carthelion wrote: »
    I've gone from PC to console 4 years ago when I moved house.
    Honestly, stick with it. I can't think of a single upside a console has over PC. I miss navigating menus, searching auctions, typing in chat is a clunky mess on console. Not to mention add-ons for PC, even just some quality of life ones like showing skyshards and books on the map.
    I recommend a razor or gaming mouse. Changed my MMO life that did.
    God I miss PC 😭

The built in voice chat.

That is the only thing I sorely miss from consoles.

Discord is not a replacement.

On console, a lot of people would do random dungeons and Crag PUG trials with voice on. I made a lot of friends and met a lot of people through the voice chat feature on consoles.

On PC, nobody bothers with voice until you are already in a guild or doing really hard content.
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends if you don't mind making all new characters and levelling them up and starting fresh. Can be a good thing but if you have a lot invested already maybe PS5 might be the way. Personally I'm not a console person and find pc much more immersive. The benefit of addons is great too, I don't think I could live without several of them.
  • SpiritofESO
    SpiritofESO
    ✭✭✭
    Calm_Fury wrote: »
    I have spent 3 years on Xbox. 1000 CP, around 2.5k hours since 2015 until around 2018. 18 Characters, all max level, full Writ Crafters. All Chapters, several mounts, houses, Mundus Stones. About 35 million gold last time I logged in.

Just a gentle reminder -- go outside sometimes. :smiley:

:wink:
    • ~ PS NA ~ ALDMERI DOMINION ~
    • IVY GOLDBLADE, WOOD ELF NIGHTBLADE, Former Empress
    • IVY GOLDBLAZE, HIGH ELF TEMPLAR
    • "Adapt or Die"
  • Calm_Fury
    Calm_Fury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calm_Fury wrote: »

Just a gentle reminder -- go outside sometimes. :smiley:

:wink:

Don't worry, haha. I go out plenty. That is from playing just a few hours (8-10) a week (but for several years). It really adds up.

You should be saying that to those people with 100% Achievement Points, 9 Grand Overlords and 14 Master Anglers, hehe.
  • KingJArthur
    They are certainly different experiences and both can be enjoyed for what they are:

PC: Way more precision in your play--point and click, execute complexities with maximum efficiency. Of course, if you are really picky about differences in graphics quality, PC can always outperform. You can install add-ons, and play with the graphics configurations. Again, it's perfect for those who are *** about the details.

Console: Best if your priority is to kick back on your couch, with a big screen TV and surround sound, and enjoy a more relaxed experience (granted you can use a PC to create a similar setup, but it's going to be quite expensive). Also, consoles are nice if you prefer not to worry about whether you should upgrade your graphics card, or upgrade your PC in general, or get hung up with adjusting the GPU settings to get the effects just right.

Also, it depends on your preference for game control. Again, keyboard = precision for countless options. But for fast dodge-and-roll combat, a console controller (where the game is optimized for that controller) is ideal for many.

When I played through The Witcher III, I would actually play the towns and minutia on the PC and then switch to the console whenever I had a hard battle (cloud saving across platforms allowed that).
  • DigiAngel
    DigiAngel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Duece09 wrote: »
    I am an off and on ESO player. However all of my time thus far has been spent on the PS4. All in all I think Im around 500 champion points give or take. I have played console my entire life and I’m 38 years old so it’s been a while LOL. I have always wanted to play ESO on PC and I finally have a Computer powerful enough to do so at high settings.

I’ve tried messing around with ESO a little bit here and there the last few days and I cannot get used to the controls for the life of me. Mouse and keyboard seems very unintuitive, awkward and clunky to me. I know you PC players out there are saying the same thing about controller, but I guess it’s all what we are used to. On top of that I have all of the DLC‘s and my time and money spent on the console version but I really want to like it on PC. Anyone out there like me? Did you make the switch? How did you get used to the controls? Is it smart to just start clean and fresh but have to buy everything all over again and invest all that time? Is it really that much better on PC?

Three words: Five button mouse.
  • Norith_Gilheart_Flail
    Norith_Gilheart_Flail
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think there is justification with switching to PC as you can still play the game with a controller. I do.

But I also have access to the myriad of addons that are huge quality of life improvements.

I also don't need to factor in or think about "will the next generation console after this, or the next, be supported"

Yes, you would have invested a lot of time to date. However, think of this as a clean and legitimate restart. You know your preferences and which character you would like to deal with first.
  • ElCapitanAmericano
    ElCapitanAmericano
    ✭✭✭
    Even starting from scratch you can grind to max CP and fully gear out multiple characters in less than 5 months only playing a few hours a day. Compared to some other MMO's that's a drop in the bucket. I'd make the switch.