The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Purifying light.

Ariades_swe
Ariades_swe
✭✭✭✭✭
So I went back to my magplar and this skill stinks now.
It rarely hits for more than 2.5k.
Compare that to shalks, BB or curse etc that often does 100 percent more damag while you can stay on backbar doing whatever floats your boat.
  • ManDraKE
    ManDraKE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah, is a waste of slot. Plus with burning light having very low proc rate, is literaly a useless skill. Fot stamplar is pretty much the same, with the execption that it grants minor breach so is worth slotting it sometimes, but the damage is laugthable.
  • Husan
    Husan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both stamina and magicka morphs are still worth slotting for PvP just becuase they are delayed damage, which is invaluable in a PvP scenario and there are no alternative choices for templar. However, compared to other similar skills (blastbones, shalks) purifying light/power of the light is laughably weak. Whether that is the case of other classes respective skills overperforming or templar skills being undertuned can be debated. I don't expect anything to change in the near future as there has been a lot of feedback on this topic recently with no recognition from ZOS.
  • techyeshic
    techyeshic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Husan wrote: »
    Both stamina and magicka morphs are still worth slotting for PvP just becuase they are delayed damage, which is invaluable in a PvP scenario and there are no alternative choices for templar. However, compared to other similar skills (blastbones, shalks) purifying light/power of the light is laughably weak. Whether that is the case of other classes respective skills overperforming or templar skills being undertuned can be debated. I don't expect anything to change in the near future as there has been a lot of feedback on this topic recently with no recognition from ZOS.

Its not even worth delayed damage when you give up a global and could use that for a DOT or debuff. You get much more in 6 seconds.

It get a proc set. Will hit harder than POTL/PL. Seems to be the way of the game now.
    Edited by techyeshic on November 26, 2020 2:20PM
  • wheem_ESO
    wheem_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one of the skills that seems like it might have been over-nerfed. At one point it was OP on a Stamina Templar, at least when combined with how silly Jabs damage could get. Now though, I think the state of the skill is one reason I don't see very many offensively-focused Magicka Templar in BGs these days. The class can still have strong damage with proc sets, just like everyone else can, but when you compare it to say...Magicka Warden with Shalks and Arctic Blast, it falls noticeably behind in both burst and survivability.
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    techyeshic wrote: »

Its not even worth delayed damage when you give up a global and could use that for a DOT or debuff. You get much more in 6 seconds.

It get a proc set. Will hit harder than POTL/PL. Seems to be the way of the game now.

I replaced purifying light with vampires bane and I get more overall dmg, major prophecy, a ranged snare ability and a chance to proc burning.
    Don't see the point of the skill with how low the dmg is.
    On stamplar if you are not running pierce armor, it's still worth for the 3k pen and the ult gen but on magplar there's no point.
    Doesn't matter if it's delayed burst when the burst part is missing.
  • ManDraKE
    ManDraKE
    ✭✭✭✭✭

oh yes, the dangeours 1.5k delayed damage. Any dot ticking twice will do more dmg than purifiyng light lol
  • techyeshic
    techyeshic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Firstmep wrote: »
    techyeshic wrote: »

I replaced purifying light with vampires bane and I get more overall dmg, major prophecy, a ranged snare ability and a chance to proc burning.
    Don't see the point of the skill with how low the dmg is.
    On stamplar if you are not running pierce armor, it's still worth for the 3k pen and the ult gen but on magplar there's no point.
    Doesn't matter if it's delayed burst when the burst part is missing.

If you run ransack on stamplar, that covers both major and minor penetrations. Stamplar is kind of stuck with 1h shield and 2her so I went for the 2her cleave that bleeds, axe, and deadly. High pressure as there's no burst combo anymore
  • Wolfenzero
    It usually hits between 3 and 4k, depending on how tanky the target is and how much pressure you did.

Is it awesome? no, as already said, a dot will probably apply more pressure.

Can it be used alongside Sweep for unexpected bursts? yes, therefore, not completely useless.

Edited by Wolfenzero on November 26, 2020 6:54PM
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Wolfenzero wrote: »
    It usually hits between 3 and 4k, depending on how tanky the target is and how much pressure you did.

Is it awesome? no, as already said, a dot will probably apply more pressure.

Can it be used alongside Sweep for unexpected bursts? yes, therefore, not completely useless.

I guess it depends on your playstyle, I like having another dot for additional pressure that lines up well with sweeps.
    The burst on PL isn't really unexpected, it's one of the most telegraphed skills in the game.
    Also conviniently marks your target, and makes target switching that much more difficult.
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No powerful and a very inferior secondary effect but atleast its cheap lol
  • TheFamousMockingbird
    I am all for raising the base damage and the damaged received scaling. The skill never hits for max damage in PvP so the high end is misleading. It is a super cheap skill to cast, even though its not intended as a spammable skill from what I can tell.

Why I still slot it is because of it being a reliable way to mark a PvP target for my team. Having that burning pillar over your head makes one a real damage magnet.

The heal is negligible and a tiny AoE. Perhaps it could also give some other minor stat resource return. The stamina version is at least useful for the sticky minor fracture.

• BaiterOfZergs
    BaiterOfZergs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s not worth slotting on magplar or stamplar. Not just because of damage but because it was already very clunky.

If you play stamplar you honestly should just run caltrops.
    Zerg of House Smallscale, First of his name, wielder of Volendrung, battleground hero, Cyrodiil butcher, the swifft footed, OG of the Templars and first pvpers, defender of scrolls and baiter of zergs.
  • Wolfenzero
    The burst on PL isn't really unexpected, it's one of the most telegraphed skills in the game.
    True, but it's also one of the most underated skill in the game, which means most people won't really bother blocking/dispelling it, thus, when you put enough pressure and time a Sweep before it explodes it can catch someone off-guard (not to mention timing it with some big damage proc sets).

Other than that, yeah, cool concept, poor execution.
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    True, but it's also one of the most underated skill in the game, which means most people won't really bother blocking/dispelling it, thus, when you put enough pressure and time a Sweep before it explodes it can catch someone off-guard (not to mention timing it with some big damage proc sets).

Other than that, yeah, cool concept, poor execution.

I still have screens of this skill hitting for over 24k damage, ok that was due to the bug, but 7-9k crits on squishy targets weren't uncommon before the nerf.
    Now it's like 5k crit if you are hitting someone with 0 armor and fully charge skill, which almost never happens ofc.

2k crits are the most common.
    The skill defo needs help.

Don't ever remember nightblades spectral bow being this weak on dmg.
  • DeHei
    DeHei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This skill was a great one a time ago and looked like the one skill, which allows finish combinations... Now its a wasted slot... you can cleanse it (50% of classes can do) while it just deals average damage, if you are able to hit the target in time...

It shouldnt deal damage like % of stacked damage in time. It should hit really hard no matter what, but also increase all damage in time! Also the healing effect is an interesting idea, but nothing more. Its not practically (only for tanks and melees in trials..) For a much better effectivity in damage, this healing effect can be taken away in my opinion!
    DeHei - EP Magicka Templar Allrounder
    De Hei(Youtube)
  • HiImRex
    HiImRex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    here's two ideas:

(1) Pufirying Light (magicka morph) stored damage does AOE damage instead of single target

(2) POTL (stamina morph) heal the caster for 100% of the damage done over 4 sec-
  • Wolfenzero
    Was playing with recording on and I guess this clip reminded me of this thread:

https://streamable.com/x53rxw

8k dmg (2k initial poke, 6k delayed burst) plus 3k penetration, "not worth slotting".

Like the health regen is not "worth it" comment, sometimes, I read things in this forum that amaze me.

Of course this is meant to be funny, it won't always hit this hard and it's not an amazing skill.

Edited by Wolfenzero on December 7, 2020 5:34PM
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Was playing with recording on and I guess this clip reminded me of this thread:

https://streamable.com/x53rxw

8k dmg (2k initial poke, 6k delayed burst) plus 3k penetration, "not worth slotting".

Like the health regen is not "worth it" comment, sometimes, I read things in this forum that amaze me.

Of course this is meant to be funny, it won't always hit this hard and it's not an amazing skill.

I mean if someone gets hit with 6k Backlash it's likely they would get deleted by Blastbones/shalks.

• Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But there is an alternative choice for the templar player. Log onto a different class and not get stressed out playing a gutted class. It's what I have done and wholeheartedly recommend it

My advice for magplars, log onto a sorc. Cast curse, go afk and in 3.5 seconds BOOM!, damage that can crit. In ZOS's world, this is totally balanced, the consequence of an intentional adjustment to the Purifying Light. Templars will also notes that no matter how much ZOS nerfs breath of life, your shield protects you for more and is immune to healing nerfs and pesky defiles.

Or just be like everyone else and roll out a 40K health stamden. Just Press the Artic Blast skill once and you'll never miss breath of life.