Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Flying Mounts?

Zama666
Zama666
✭✭✭✭
What are the chances of Flying Mounts like WoW has?

Would it be a huge undertaking?

Be slick if it were a new skill line!

Thoughts?

Z
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No thankyou as I remember flying "mounts" in Skyrim and it was the most horrible put together thing imaginable.

To give you an idea how bad such an implementation of flying mounts would be in ESO look at all the "flying" enemies. They're either on the ground and path accordingly or they're on rails like the Dragon and Vampire Lord fights.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • rabidmyers
    rabidmyers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
    at a place nobody knows
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From all I’ve heard, and with the acknowledgment that opinions differ, WoW’s flying mounts were not a good idea and detracted from maps. IMHO, the game which has the best implemented mounts is GW2 as the mounts have different abilities and movement styles and they are DYEABLE in addition being able to get different skins for them. Their flying mounts have limited altitude gaining ability and more gliding. Alas, I don’t think it would be possible to implement something like that in ESO at this point and mounts acting as anything more complex than a speed boost in ESO might hit performance more than any gains are worth I’d guess.
  • vestahls
    vestahls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As I recall, the engine can't handle it. Just like diving under water is outside its capabilities too. So we'll probably never have either, which is a shame but probably for the best.
    “He is even worse than a n'wah. He is - may Vivec forgive me for uttering this word - a Hlaalu.”
    luv Abnur
    luv Rigurt
    luv Stibbons

'ate Ayrenn
    'ate Razum-dar
    'ate Khamira

simple as
  • Grimlok_S
    Grimlok_S
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, thank you.
    Light Attack Hero

Class context
    Stamplar
    StamDK
    Stamsorc
    MagDK
    StamMAGStamden
    Magplar
    Stam NB
    Bomb NB
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Does this count?

Screenshot_20201126_195812.png
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • Langdon64
    Langdon64
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wish we could. The treasure maps and surveys would go a lot faster if you could just swoop down on them. It was always nice in WOW to just hover over Stormwind and watch the sunset over the ocean. Too bad BFA was such garbage. I do miss my flying mounts.
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    Langdon64 wrote: »
    I wish we could. The treasure maps and surveys would go a lot faster if you could just swoop down on them. It was always nice in WOW to just hover over Stormwind and watch the sunset over the ocean. Too bad BFA was such garbage. I do miss my flying mounts.

BA HAW HAW HAW HAW!!!!

Thank you! Loved that!
  • Norith_Gilheart_Flail
    Norith_Gilheart_Flail
    ✭✭✭✭
    It absolutely suits WoW, FFXIV, GW2, EQ2 and realistically... it shouldn't be a problem for this game either. There is zero world pvp, so the people crying 'muh mershunz' when they were really just rogues in stealth waiting for nubs to kill, isn't relative to this game.

That said, I do think that how this game regards itself towards lore, and what it finds fitting to be a lot drier in humour than the rest of the MMO titles. I don't see them doing this. I have even less faith though could code it.

I would Absolutely love it though if they could do underwater. We know the Sload exist, so clearly there's a verdant environment underwater.

For now, I'd settle for less stupid falling distance death. Half the time I am yelling at my machine 'How? How TF was that far enough to kill me'
  • White wabbit
    White wabbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Oh god no
  • Sephyr
    Sephyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A big no from me.
  • Higuchi
    Higuchi
    ✭✭
    Flying... Mounts? No, thank you!
    I love the idea of different mount abilities (tigers are more agile, bears are more enduring etc... ). That'll fit into Lore and the world as a whole perfectly!
    I do support the idea of the underwater world (not swimming, per se, just getting into the underwater world would be enough). As said above, there's a Sload empire underwater out there. Therefore, that'd be so fantastic to see! ^_^
    NA Server 📚 MacOS 🐾
    Naofumí The Arcanist / Goellean (gameID: @Alien.101)
  • Jolsyf
    Jolsyf
    ✭✭✭
    Hell no, for a couple of resons:
    I don't think it fits the elder scrolls lore, as there's nowhere as many giant flying creatures (no you are not mounting a dragon)
    It was implemented in WoW during The Burning Crusade expansion because of the very slow riding speed, we have dozens of wayshrines in each map in eso so you can teleport anywhere instead of walking.
    This game has enough code/server problems as it is, gotta fix that before even thinking about implementing new flying pathways.
  • washbern
    washbern
    ✭✭✭✭
    Flying? Hell no.
    Gliding? Maybe....
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    Higuchi wrote: »
    Flying... Mounts? No, thank you!
    I love the idea of different mount abilities (tigers are more agile, bears are more enduring etc... ). That'll fit into Lore and the world as a whole perfectly!
    I do support the idea of the underwater world (not swimming, per se, just getting into the underwater world would be enough). As said above, there's a Sload empire underwater out there. Therefore, that'd be so fantastic to see! ^_^

I would love to see different the riding skill line get developed more. Speed, weight, gather while mounted, auto ride (mount will take you to specific areas following the path, but you can get waylaid. Or you might want to stop because you see a something interesting)
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't see how it would be lorebreaking. We have gryphons. We have netches (that's my dream mount right there, a netch). We have large insects, some of which might reasonably be flying ones; kwama are ant-like, and there are flying ants, or we could tame huge wasps. We have Dwemer technology and if we can zoom around in a car...or "spider", whatever, it's still a car...it's not a stretch for someone to discover a new flying machine. I have a freaking hobby horse with a perpetually flaming mane, which means someone bothered to put an enchantment on a *toy*, so why not flying brooms since Tamriel has stereotyped "witches"? There are plenty of things to do that fit the setting.

It would be so beautiful to look over a zone from above. It would be so peaceful to just glide around. If all the horrified screaming is about PvP, then just make them not work in Cyrodiil, there are plenty of other things that can be turned off for certain areas.

Underwater would also be awesome. That's the only thing I miss about DDO, the underwater swimming.
  • erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Id rather have some sort of mounted ground combat if anything. Infact lets start with zos adding mounts into the actual game and not the shop
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The game engine doesn't allow it.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Narvuntien wrote: »
    The game engine doesn't allow it.

Yeah, the game isn't built for flying mounts. I'm pretty sure they had to rework large sections in World of Warcraft for this specific feature. I'd love to have it. But i can't imagine how much worse the performance would be.
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • orion_1981usub17_ESO
    orion_1981usub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flying mounts would completely up end PVP. Imagine groups flying right over Castle walls, why even have walls when you have flying armies? However, there is no real lore reason they couldn't exist, beyond the game engine. No previous game had flying mounts because the engines were built for them, but lore has folks riding dragons and hopping around on stilt striders. I don't see them ever adding such things in, it would be unfair to the hordes of mobs that are hoping you'll have to stop and kill them
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The technology for air transport is lore acceptable, & used in Tamriel during this era.

https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Air_Transportation
    Edited by Wolfpaw on November 28, 2020 8:16PM
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The zones are small and there are wayshrines everywhere. There would be little functional point to it and if it bypasses any terrain at all, it would instantly obsolete all mounts that came before it. It would be the only mount you ever saw anyone use. ZOS would have to go through every zone and add a pile of invisible walls to keep us from going places we aren't meant to go.

It just doesn't work in ESO.
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The zones are small and there are wayshrines everywhere. There would be little functional point to it and if it bypasses any terrain at all, it would instantly obsolete all mounts that came before it. It would be the only mount you ever saw anyone use. ZOS would have to go through every zone and add a pile of invisible walls to keep us from going places we aren't meant to go.

I have read the same thing, usually with some beat a dead horse gif, across multiple mmorpgs, & X was later added.

• redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wolfpaw wrote: »

I have read the same thing, usually with some beat a dead horse gif, across multiple mmorpgs, & X was later added.

Just because you've read it before, it doesn't mean it carries less relevance and logical weight as a counter argument. If you could shoot down any counter argument simply by saying you've heard it multiple times before, it wouldn't amount to much of a conversation now would it?
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Just because you've read it before, it doesn't mean it carries less relevance and logical weight as a counter argument. If you could shoot down any counter argument simply by saying you've heard it multiple times before, it wouldn't amount to much of a conversation now would it?

Calm down. In my experience your points have been brought up before many times, & always seemed irrelevant to the outcome. Doesn't mean adding your opinion is irrelevant.

Do players want flying mounts? Yes, some do.

Can flying mounts fit into the lore? Yes they can.

Is the financial return worth the cost of adding flying mounts? Based off of other mmorpgs it's.
    Edited by Wolfpaw on November 28, 2020 10:31PM
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Calm down. In my experience your points have been brought up before many times, & always seemed irrelevant to the outcome. Doesn't mean adding your opinion is irrelevant.

Is the financial return worth the cost of adding flying mounts? Based off of other mmorpgs it's.

Yes, people want flying mounts. Yes, they can fit in the lore of the game.

The question you left unanswered that you try to brush away with the "dead horse" argument was whether or not they can be mechanically added without breaking the game. The stance I'm taking is that if flying mounts are added they will either break many elements of the game that need to be fixed to accommodate them or be so nerfed to fit mechanically, they might as well not be flying to begin with.
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

The question you left unanswered that you try to brush away with the "dead horse" argument was whether or not they can be mechanically added without breaking the game. The stance I'm taking is that if flying mounts are added they will either break many elements of the game that need to be fixed to accommodate them or be so nerfed to fit mechanically, they might as well not be flying to begin with.

I think you misunderstood the dead horse gif, at my fault.
    • a revamp of old zones
    • no fly areas defended by siege, magic, npc's, players, etc...
    • flying content in dungeons, new zones, pvp maps, etc..
    Plenty of ways to add flying, or flying content.
    Edited by Wolfpaw on November 29, 2020 12:18AM
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Zama666 wrote: »
    What are the chances of Flying Mounts like WoW has?

Would it be a huge undertaking?

Be slick if it were a new skill line!

Thoughts?

Z

What about levitation spell/pots?
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Flying mounts would completely up end PVP. Imagine groups flying right over Castle walls, why even have walls when you have flying armies? However, there is no real lore reason they couldn't exist, beyond the game engine. No previous game had flying mounts because the engines were built for them, but lore has folks riding dragons and hopping around on stilt striders. I don't see them ever adding such things in, it would be unfair to the hordes of mobs that are hoping you'll have to stop and kill them

How many dragons do appear in lore as mounts in the second era? As, far as I remember none.

BUT, the levitation spell (as well as Jump spells) fits the lore. Give me a scroll of Icarian Flight and I'm OK

In the wrong house
    I took the wrong road
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I think you misunderstood the dead horse gif, at my fault.
    • a revamp of old zones
    • no fly areas defended by siege, magic, npc's, players, etc...
    • flying content in dungeons, new zones, pvp maps, etc..
    Plenty of ways to add flying, or flying content.

Saddly, the place where it could have take place was Vvanderfell and it wasn't done for the same reason cliff racers became ornamental...
    Edited by Xvorg on November 29, 2020 1:46AM

In the wrong house
    I took the wrong road