The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Does anyone know what causes the crashes?

Deathlord92
Deathlord92
✭✭✭✭✭
Does anyone know what causes the crashes? Because i seem to crash every time I fight a boss bare in mind I’m only playing overland content?
  • Katheriah
    Katheriah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Some say it's outdated add-ons
    Some say it's outdated drivers
    Some say it's trying to put a band aid on old, broken code and a dying server
    Some say it's because you forgot to sacrifice a virgin on the last full moon

Nobody knows
  • majulook
    majulook
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone know what causes the crashes? Because i seem to crash every time I fight a boss bare in mind I’m only playing overland content?

If they do they should tell the devs
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • twev
    twev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Katheriah wrote: »
    Some say it's outdated add-ons
    Some say it's outdated drivers
    Some say it's trying to put a band aid on old, broken code and a dying server
    Some say it's because you forgot to sacrifice a virgin on the last full moon

Nobody knows

I have it on good authority that 'Trying to play the game' is the correct answer.
    The problem with society these days is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.

PC/NA, i7 with 32 gigs of ram, nVME cards and an nVidea 1060 over fiber.
    I don't play through Steam, ever.
  • Niaver
    Niaver
    ✭✭✭✭
    PC EU - Daggerfall Covenant - @Niaver
    Erazar (main) - Khajit DK tank

Proud owner of Maelstrom Sharpened Bow
  • Everstorm
    Everstorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    "Some say it's because you forgot to sacrifice a virgin on the last full moon"

Can confirm, I'm not having any crashes.
  • Flaaklypa
    Flaaklypa
    ✭✭✭✭
    I got it WHILE fishing. No addons PCEU
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everstorm wrote: »
    "Some say it's because you forgot to sacrifice a virgin on the last full moon"

Can confirm, I'm not having any crashes.

This is a classic case of "denial." Ha ha

My game have crashed 3x already in the last 5 minutes trying to load into the game. Earlier, after patch maintenance was completed, my game crashed within the first 5 minutes of logged in. Well, at least we can sit down on the chairs and benches again, and low level new toon are able to purchase recipes from chef and brewers again. Well, kudos for fixing that.

Oh smack, 4th straight game crashes now in the attempt to relog back in phase. Gotta love it. Going for crash #5, yeah.. yes, #5 crash just touched down. Going for #6.. There it is, the 6th straight consecutive game crash. Going for #7. ZOS????. Ha ha. Damn, where's my whiskey? Ummhmmm, the 7th straight crash (downing another shot of whiskey.) Alright, time to go play TERA!
    Edited by GreenhaloX on November 23, 2020 11:50PM
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What I worry, Dev has no idea too.
  • Thundertalon
    Thundertalon
    ✭✭
    Large amount of particle effects seem to cause crashes, especially in bursts. Some of these include:
    Liches (ie Wayrest II Garron)
    Wall of Frost
    Pulsar
    Bosses like Titanclaw (drops mudcrabs all over)
    Pact: DK dps & magblade; DC: magplar, PC NA
    Looking to do group quests (Craglorn, IC, dungeons, etc) - just let me know
  • Everest_Lionheart
    Everest_Lionheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Broken hamster wheel. That’s what I’m going with...
  • Spartabunny08
    Spartabunny08
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is a memory leak...
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried turning your modem off for 10 seconds?
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaraal wrote: »
    Have you tried turning your modem off for 10 seconds?
    It’s definitely not my net because so many other players are getting the exact same thing I did however try resetting my PS4 and it didn’t help.
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Large amount of particle effects seem to cause crashes, especially in bursts. Some of these include:
    Wall of Frost
    Pulsar
    It was titanclaw I kept crashing on I decided to leave him alone haven’t had a problem since but then again I’m not doing dungeons trials bgs etc either.
    Edited by Deathlord92 on November 24, 2020 1:53AM
  • cynicalbutterfly
    cynicalbutterfly
    ✭✭✭✭
    For me, I crash going through doors 50% of the time. Other 50% is in dungeons. However I've also crashed doing crafting and doing absolutely nothing but standing. I even crashed on an alt doing the Harborage quests. Seems to be pretty random when it happens. I can play for 2 straight hours with no crashes and the next day crash within 5 minutes of logging in.
  • orion_1981usub17_ESO
    orion_1981usub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surges of data overwhelming communication. Usually at fight starts, passing doors, being teleported, lots of aoes. These cause time outs, freezes, blue screens and disconnects. Some fights or areas have massive data dumps that are unnatural in nature from the beginning of last patch, making certain boss or dungeons more prone to data surge and communication failures. The Programmers will have to figure out what script is causing the data dumps clogging the systems.

Hope this clears things up.
  • scorpius2k1
    scorpius2k1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surges of data overwhelming communication. Usually at fight starts, passing doors, being teleported, lots of aoes. These cause time outs, freezes, blue screens and disconnects. Some fights or areas have massive data dumps that are unnatural in nature from the beginning of last patch, making certain boss or dungeons more prone to data surge and communication failures. The Programmers will have to figure out what script is causing the data dumps clogging the systems.

Hope this clears things up.

Agreed, in those situations that is a high possibility. How can we explain crashes though just walking through overland, doing activities like writs, traveling to another zone, fishing where no one else is around, or even crashing out when simply logging in. Those are just a few of the things being reported to cause crashing. Something is majorly effed and being this has been ongoing since Markarth dropped over two weeks ago PLUS a hotfix patch, I am not sure there is even any internal company direction on a fix and patience is growing thin, especially with the history of ESO being consistently problematic for almost 7 years now. All we can do is share our experience with ZOS employees, and in the meantime it's all speculation on our ends to what the problems actually are. I hope they find the answers because players are dropping fast until if and when things are in order again. Imho, the longer this goes on the more damage it is going to do for the longterm and possibly longevity of ESO.
    Edited by scorpius2k1 on November 24, 2020 2:18AM
    🌎 PC/NA
    🐧 Linux (Arch)
    🧑‍💻 ESO Addon Dev
    ⚔️ Stamplar | Magplar | Stamcro | Magsorc | Magcro Healer
  • orion_1981usub17_ESO
    orion_1981usub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are communication time outs in essence, like a music video that fails to load on YouTube and you get the end of what was loaded and music stops and tries to get more data, well the game just drops you. These time outs often happen when a condition is met. Aka, you cross an invisible line in the ground and the next area fails to load. Your fishing and you catch a fish but the results fail to load. You try to begin crafting but the crafting animation fails to load. You try a search on a guild trader but the results fail to load.

All of these are due to scripts failing to load and causing a communicationtime out, likely because they've been corrupted by unintentional changes in the scripts due to additional script being added to the game. Think of how new computers are fast and agile but after two three years wear and tear as well as corrupted data bits left over from constant read write functions start dragging even high end computers down.

Now imagine your a company that wants to make the most money for the least cost. They have to fix but likely won't invest all the required resources to completely fix it.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, if anyone knew what caused the stuff that you're experiencing, someone would have fixed it. So.... yeah. *sigh*

[Caveat - I'm not having crashes at all. But I'm really sorry so many of you are having that issue.]
  • halucin0g3n
    halucin0g3n
    ✭✭✭✭

Incompetence.
  • stefj68
    stefj68
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    alt-f4 fixed all my issues
  • halucin0g3n
    halucin0g3n
    ✭✭✭✭
    stefj68 wrote: »
    alt-f4 fixed all my issues

Cancelling subscription fixes additional issues.
  • Jykel
    Jykel
    ✭✭
    It is a memory leak...

Spot on, as far as PS4 Bluescreens/Crashes go. They have added or changed something in the memory model, most likely due to a change for new mechanism or an under the hood performance change. It could also be related to the server sending the client data models it can not consume, due to a mismatch in data objects between the client/server codebases.

For those who have been around long enough, same coding errors, different era:
    BdhcOXO.gif

ZOS will need time to compare code branches and narrow down the likely areas, and on such a large codebase, this can unfortunately take some time. Given the crashes are reproducible in given dungeon/trials scenarios, let's hope they can narrow down the issue pretty soon1

Edited by Jykel on November 24, 2020 3:47AM
  • Blackbird_V
    Blackbird_V
    ✭✭✭✭✭
      [*] Fixed a rare crash that could happen when lots of complex particle effects are created and destroyed at once.
      [*] Fixed a crash that could occur during Trials and other effects-heavy situations.

It could be something to do with particles. I've turned mine down and not crashed since to my knowledge. Although for whatever reason I'm inclined to think it's also how the game processes minor and major buffs. Wild theory with no evidence, but it was a major change with Markarth and since then we've had crash after crash:

All Major and Minor Buffs and Debuffs have been hard coded to go through server validation sooner and more effectively as cached values, rather than abilities that exist on your character. This new system will also properly ensure that no two same buffs or debuffs can ever stack in effectiveness, rather than needing to be individually spot checked on each application. It will also prioritize duration-based sources rather than permanent ones, so you do not need to fear losing their effects. While doing so, we have also properly reigned in the power of these effects into our Set Bonus Efficiency (SBE) standard; Minor effects are now worth 2 set bonuses (previously between .4 and 4.2) and Major effects are worth 4 (previously between 2.14 and 13.3). The new values can be found below.

Patch notes stating that information would be under "Buffs and Debuffs, linked here.
      Edited by Blackbird_V on November 24, 2020 4:05AM
      Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 25 DLCs. 41 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game.
    • twev
      twev
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Wall of Frost
      Pulsar
      It was titanclaw I kept crashing on I decided to leave him alone haven’t had a problem since.

Oh, my goodness.
      I haven't crashed since you stopped playing Titenclaw!!
      You hit it
      Jykel wrote: »
      It is a memory leak...

Spot on, as far as PS4 Bluescreens/Crashes go. They have added or changed something in the memory model, most likely due to a change for new mechanism or an under the hood performance change. It could also be related to the server sending the client data models it can not consume, due to a mismatch in data objects between the client/server codebases.

For those who have been around long enough, same coding errors, different era:
      BdhcOXO.gif

ZOS will need time to compare code branches and narrow down the likely areas, and on such a large codebase, this can unfortunately take some time. Given the crashes are reproducible in given dungeon/trials scenarios, let's hope they can narrow down the issue pretty soon1

This would require they read the bug reports, and pay more attention to the details/data than they have shown they care to do with PTS reports.

Just sayin'.
      The problem with society these days is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.

PC/NA, i7 with 32 gigs of ram, nVME cards and an nVidea 1060 over fiber.
      I don't play through Steam, ever.
    • idk
      idk
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Zos created a conflict with the recent update. It is really that simple because it rarely happened, in my experience, before this update.

As players, we like to speculate what is the cause be we are merely guessing. Some say it is add-ons, but we know for a fact it is not because players have tested it without any add-ons.

We have heard other reasons, but since players on different servers and groups have had DCs on the same fights and at the same time it is clear the issue does not lie with our machines. Heck, I have seen 3 players all freeze (and crash) at the same time while I did not while on other fights I froze while the rest of the group was fine.
    • Tigertron
      Tigertron
      ✭✭✭✭
      :)
      Edited by Tigertron on November 24, 2020 4:21AM
    • Spartabunny08
      Spartabunny08
      ✭✭✭✭
      idk wrote: »
      Zos created a conflict with the recent update. It is really that simple because it rarely happened, in my experience, before this update.

As players, we like to speculate what is the cause be we are merely guessing. Some say it is add-ons, but we know for a fact it is not because players have tested it without any add-ons.

We have heard other reasons, but since players on different servers and groups have had DCs on the same fights and at the same time it is clear the issue does not lie with our machines. Heck, I have seen 3 players all freeze (and crash) at the same time while I did not while on other fights I froze while the rest of the group was fine.

And a memory leak will look just like that. Last time Zos had the blue screen pocalypse they said it was a memory leak. Looks the same to me how about you all? Computers and networking isn't that complicated at its basis only when you build it up.

Even if it isn't a memory leak it is still acting just like one... my money on the memory leak lol.
    • ZathrasParadox
      The developers don't even know why the game is broken. I imagine if they did then they would also know how to fix it. After today's patch I've been getting nearly continuous bluescreens. I can't do anything in the game without crashing. It is far worse than it was before the "maintenance patch"
      But at least we can use chairs now.
    • Spartabunny08
      Spartabunny08
      ✭✭✭✭
      The developers don't even know why the game is broken. I imagine if they did then they would also know how to fix it. After today's patch I've been getting nearly continuous bluescreens. I can't do anything in the game without crashing. It is far worse than it was before the "maintenance patch"
      But at least we can use chairs now.

They know... at minimum have an idea. Imo they just don't care. Too many people continue to pay them for a broken game as a service. We don't want them continuously uprooting the game, they need to understand that once it is working stop fixing it. At this point they could just focus on new content. Ever since One Tamriel they've been "fixing" it. Seems they just never understood they got it but they just kept going and here we are.

Gotta love those chairs though, I even carry my own personal chair lol
    This discussion has been closed.