The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Brand new to PvP, can't wait to get my teeth kicked out

Auberon1983
Auberon1983
✭✭✭
Been playing almost solely PvE for about 4 months, other than the occasional duel where I get stomped. I've decided I'd like to give PvP a go, even though I'm not a very competitive person.

Due to the new Healing changes, that kinda excludes my main from joining in (MagWarden). So, I made a Bosmer StamSorc and an Altmer MagBlade. Just got them to level 10, so I'm a bit excited. I don't mind losing, which is good, as I do it often, just hoping I don't drag everyone down with me, so...

Any tips to at least help out the better players? Again, I'm not expecting to be even passably good at this, but at least I can contribute to those that are. The Kamikaze (Nightblade Bomb) build looks pretty cool for that purpose.
  • ethenya
    ethenya
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, no idea what server you are on but just wanted to welcome you to the wonders of PVP. I love PVP so it's always exciting to see newcomers taking an interest.

I don't have any useful advice regarding stamsorc or NB but have seen NB bombs taking out quite a few unsuspecting players who are stacked at flags or repairing doors during my time in Cyro. They definitely can be very effective.

One suggestion I would like to make is if you haven't already join a PVP guild and don't be scared to ask questions. On the whole the PVP folks are very friendly & helpful & I have been given loads of great advice during my time.

Also play the character that you enjoy the most because that's when you'll play at your best. I play my magden all the time in Cyro and even after the healing changes I find that it does not too badly. Most of the poor performance from it is due to me either button fumbling, trying to take on too many opponents or game glitches. I have tried pvp with other characters but my magden is my baby. If it is healing you enjoy joining a pvp guild will help you find groups if entering Cyro.

Sorry for the ramble!
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My advice is: "Dont give up after the first few deaths!".
    Because I can!
  • biminirwb17_ESO
    biminirwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone dies a lot in Cyrodiil, just have fun.
  • Auberon1983
    Auberon1983
    ✭✭✭
    ethenya wrote: »
    Hi, no idea what server you are on but just wanted to welcome you to the wonders of PVP. I love PVP so it's always exciting to see newcomers taking an interest.

I don't have any useful advice regarding stamsorc or NB but have seen NB bombs taking out quite a few unsuspecting players who are stacked at flags or repairing doors during my time in Cyro. They definitely can be very effective.

One suggestion I would like to make is if you haven't already join a PVP guild and don't be scared to ask questions. On the whole the PVP folks are very friendly & helpful & I have been given loads of great advice during my time.

Also play the character that you enjoy the most because that's when you'll play at your best. I play my magden all the time in Cyro and even after the healing changes I find that it does not too badly. Most of the poor performance from it is due to me either button fumbling, trying to take on too many opponents or game glitches. I have tried pvp with other characters but my magden is my baby. If it is healing you enjoy joining a pvp guild will help you find groups if entering Cyro.

Sorry for the ramble!

Thank you! I'm going to look for some PvP Guilds tomorrow, great idea. The ones I'm involved with are all almost exclusively PvE. I'm also looking up different PvP Builds for later reference, most of these skills I've never heard of lol. Whole new world. I play on PS4/NA
  • ethenya
    ethenya
    ✭✭✭
    PC/EU here. Yeah it really is exciting. I've been doing PVP almost exclusively for over year and still love it. I still have so much to learn and enjoy watching players with more experience than me. Saw some awesome duels at times. I started with battlegrounds, moved to IC but now practically live in Cyro. There are lots of very helpful build guides and videos and as you gain confidence you'll tweak your build so that it suits you better. I really am excited for you and I hope you have a wonderful time.
  • Noctus
    Noctus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been playing almost solely PvE for about 4 months, other than the occasional duel where I get stomped. I've decided I'd like to give PvP a go, even though I'm not a very competitive person.

Due to the new Healing changes, that kinda excludes my main from joining in (MagWarden). So, I made a Bosmer StamSorc and an Altmer MagBlade. Just got them to level 10, so I'm a bit excited. I don't mind losing, which is good, as I do it often, just hoping I don't drag everyone down with me, so...

Any tips to at least help out the better players? Again, I'm not expecting to be even passably good at this, but at least I can contribute to those that are. The Kamikaze (Nightblade Bomb) build looks pretty cool for that purpose.

due to the healing changes u give up on high tier class to play a mid tier class and low tier class wtf ?
  • Auberon1983
    Auberon1983
    ✭✭✭
    Noctus wrote: »

due to the healing changes u give up on high tier class to play a mid tier class and low tier class wtf ?

What? I didn't get rid of him or anything. I'm not concerned about being the best or having a "meta" character. I also have anywhere from 1-3 hours per day to play. Not too many organized groups want someone who's only on here and there.
  • method__01
    method__01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    try to be present when major battles/sieges take place and always have slotted siege engines/oils/wall repair kits
    killing a single player will give you 1k ap but you can earn 30-40k in a keep siege
    PC EU/NA /// PS4 EU/NA

• GhostEngine
    GhostEngine
    Soul Shriven
    Good to read your post since I'm in the same boat as a player who is trying out PVP for the first time.

When my teeth get kicked in it's almost like a classic Loony Tunes cartoon as my brains sail over the horizon and I explode in a burst of flailing arms and legs. Decent PvPers can deliver incredible burst damage within 1-2 seconds when they catch you in a duel.

I've been starting out with relatively tanky builds so I can at least stay on the fringes of fights and contribute some damage and I really enjoy helping out with siege engines when taking or defending keeps.

Good luck. Those who are about to die salute you.

• swarzenegger
    swarzenegger
    ✭✭
    I think everyone had a "bad" time in his first PVP weeks. But if you are like a lot of us, you will feel some kind of joy in dying a bit slower everytime and coming closer and closer to killing someone. Wanting to improve is the biggest factor for playing pvp imo.

One tip I would love to have had when I started is to play is to first focus on surviving, then about damage. In duels and in sieging, knowing how to survive burst damage will make you a lot stronger. (playing solo is a good practice, testing if you have the resources and healing to survive a 1vX)
    Going full glascannon seems fun, but it isn't really in the open world of cyro when the only one who gets oneshotted is you.

It's definitly hard to learn, but as long as you have fun you'll get there.
    EU - PC greyhost
    kuutje - magsorc
    dombolul - stamdk
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    at low levels, build to survive...just about everyone naturally targets lower level toons, so, you'll get focused on a lot...combat scaling (game assistance for lower level characters) should help some in staying alive...make sure to practice blocking and roll dodging...

go heavy armor, don't forget to use a drink or food...buy some of the siege merchant potions and quick slot them...

the health draught will be your best friend...

think about setting up your bars (when you hit level 15) to fight at both range and close up...a bow will be your best friend for any stam toons...

make sure you have a shield and heal on both bars...

you won't be able to really kill anyone yourself, so, make sure you slot aoe damage skills to get credit for kills (or, try to group up)...

when you're solo, try to hang around keeps and outposts, try to use your alliance guards to help you fight...

buy some flaming oils, meatbag catapults and regular and fire ballistas...get used to using them...

learn to read the map so you know where the "action" will be...

zone chat can get a little weird, but, don't be afraid to ask for help or ask questions...

which alliance are you fighting for on PS4/NA?

oh yeah, feed you mount...speed and stamina...

playing a magblade is gonna be tough, stam sorc a little more forgiving...

you might wanna think of building a stam dk or stam warden...
    Edited by geonsocal on November 23, 2020 5:52PM
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stay calm.

Number 1 issue for players is hitting the same ability too many times because of nerves.

I personally, at the beginning, would spaz out and drain all my resources and then die.

Probably dying a lot will help more than you think
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Auberon1983
    Auberon1983
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for all the great advice folks. I'm going to be scrapping my two PvP toons already lol. MagBlade is very beginner friendly...in PvE, turns out PvP it's considerably more advanced, and I've discovered I flat out do not like StamSorc. I'm going to shop around some PvP Guilds and see which Alliance they're running, and go from there. StamWarden actually sounds fun. I already have a Warden Healer and Warden Tank, might as well have a StamWarden too.
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    can't go wrong with a 2H or dual wield and bow stam warden...

the only reason I asked about your alliance was because I know on DC allmadden is constantly looking for group members (he's an AP farmer) - grey host campaign...

I've played all three alliances on PS4/NA and they're a lot of good people on each...DC is loaded with the most random/solo players, AD has probably the nicest bunch of players and EP is usually all about business...

if you can, try to play "off-hours" in cyrodiil, performance is a serious turnoff during peak playing hours...lots of players, so it's exciting, but, also a lot of performance issues...

I'm not a big fan of the sub-50 campaign...I'd recommend going with grey host...you'll get beat up for the next year or so, but, I don't know, I'm just not a big fan of sub 50 maps :)
    Edited by geonsocal on November 23, 2020 7:05PM
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do BGs - all you need is 160 CP and 160 CP level gear. Then you can jump in and have constant action.

Cyrodiil can have a lot of downtime, or time where you are so outnumbered that there's not really an opportunity to learn. In battlegrounds, there is at least a semblance of parity between you and your opponents. It's a great place to get a lot of actual combat experience quickly, and learn how to PVP effectively.
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    doing random battleground dailies is by far the best way to level fast through pvp...

between battlegrounds and cyrodiil should receive enough gear to wear...
    Edited by geonsocal on November 23, 2020 9:14PM