The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Dear ESO....Horse's ears don't work like that....

• umagon
    umagon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The scorpions are missing legs, they have six in game but should have eight.
  • Vayln_Ninetails
    Vayln_Ninetails
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the way the horse ear animations look, so they don't need changing.

(Sorry couldn't resist. All the power to you, Im just memeing. I just felt compelled to make this statement from how many times I've been told something similar on my threads about the vamp rework/feeding/group synergy. Figured I'd take up the mantle of the "im liking it so Im gonna invalidate all of those facts you've posted and your opinions. Even if it won't effect me." person that typically shows up. Satire, if you will. Best of luck in getting your horses in eso right.)

Edited by Vayln_Ninetails on November 23, 2020 5:28AM
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've got to be honest. I've played this game every day for like 5 years now, and can say that I've never even looked at a horse's ears
    in game once. XD
    Edited by UntilValhalla13 on November 23, 2020 7:53AM
  • JonnytheKing
    JonnytheKing
    ✭✭✭✭
    twev wrote: »
    Muttsmutt wrote: »
    well well, now this is refreshing! complaining about horse ears! i love it!

Attention to detail is attention to detail.

They have a multimillion dollar art department.
    Details matter to players.

Nothing wrong about caring about details when they could have done something correctly but didn't bother to.

maybe if the big problems was fixed first people would care more about it
    TWITCH jtk__gaming
    GM of Elder-Skills DC PVP Guild NA
    Main Toons
    MagSorc
    MagTemp
  • Streega
    Streega
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always said, ESO's horses look like they were designed by someone who'd never actually seen a horse and was working off a description someone else gave them...

This is why I always ride cats instead.

The thing that bugs me most about horse riding in video games is that the reins are always slack and never gathered up. I know, First World Gaming Problems xD

I would say whoever designed cat mounts in ESO has never owned one. There's no way any cat would accept anything on his nose/forehead, where all the whiskers are - the reins, the cap or whatever apparel they decided to place there. Not to mention it looks ugly as hell. The wolves and senche-rahts have more reasonable solution, with the thing attached to a saddle. Also, there's something wrong with the front paws, they are crooked from the front and too straight from the side. And those atrocious "speed" accessories, that would only slow the mount down XD
    ⊂( ̄(工) ̄)⊃ Don't-Care-Bear ⊂( ̄(工) ̄)⊃
    PC EU "House Tertia" - Friendly Guild for Mature Folks (housetertia.com)
    PC EU "Priests of Hircine" - Awesome Guild for Friendly Werewolves (free bites!)
    Member of "Guild Masters United"
    Master Angler
  • stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Streega wrote: »
    I would say whoever designed cat mounts in ESO has never owned one.
    Exactly! I am so glad to meet a fellow rider of ferocious large cats. Riding my tiger requires a very light hand indeed. Any reins, let alone any attempt from me to pull them, would annoy it to the point of me being thrown off, mauled and eaten. My lion is slightly less fiercely independent when I ride him, but that's probably only because he is getting old, not that I actually tamed him.
  • Irfind
    Irfind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fun fact there ar 2 horse types (skeletons)

Bulky horse - 1
    Skinny horse - 2 its the same as elks and indriks no new one, front legs bent round and left hint leg kinks inwards while walking slow
    PC EU no CP PVP
    EP Irfind - Stam NB Dunmer
    EP Iswind - Mag Warden Dunmer
    EP Ko'runa Silberklaue - Mag Temp Khajiit
    EP Eldrid Hagal - Mag DK Dunmer
    EP Feyne R'is - Stam Sorc Dunmer ...with Bow
    EP Wynn Loraethaine - Mag NB Dunmer
    AD Runare Loraethaine - Stam Sorc Altmer
    AD Skadi Hagal - Stam DK Khajiit
  • twev
    twev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many issues with the horses can be attributed to a bad skeleton rig, I suspect. A bad skeleton can do more than poor animations; it can also stretch and squash the model. I think it explains:

1. Disproportionate hind legs
    2. Short swan necks
    3. Laterally squished body (on new "bulky" models)
    4. Slack mouth syndrome
    5. And yes, the ears

I think a LOT of issues would be resolved if they gave the skeleton another pass. Animations need a dire rework too, but one thing at a time.

Sidebar: Someone mentioned the canines' run cycle. I agree. It's wrong.

And the gallop motion is just all wrong.
    It is on most/all mounts.
    Instead of doubling the stride *rate*, the stride length should have been increased. This is true of all the mounts, but particularly noticeable on horse.
    I really hate horses especially of all the mounts because of the gait is so screwed up.
    The problem with society these days is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.

PC/NA, i7 with 32 gigs of ram, nVME cards and an nVidea 1060 over fiber.
    I don't play through Steam, ever.
  • twev
    twev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    twev wrote: »
    Muttsmutt wrote: »
    well well, now this is refreshing! complaining about horse ears! i love it!

Attention to detail is attention to detail.

They have a multimillion dollar art department.
    Details matter to players.

Nothing wrong about caring about details when they could have done something correctly but didn't bother to.

maybe if the big problems was fixed first people would care more about it

Probably.
    How are the fixes for the big problems working out so far?
    But I'm not counting on either one, regardless of how easy the ears would be by comparison.
    The problem with society these days is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.

PC/NA, i7 with 32 gigs of ram, nVME cards and an nVidea 1060 over fiber.
    I don't play through Steam, ever.
  • Shokner
    Shokner
    ✭✭✭
    Well op you ain't gonna get it fixed, you should have started with "how offended" you were by this issuse, being offended gets things done these days!
  • Streega
    Streega
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say whoever designed cat mounts in ESO has never owned one.
    Exactly! I am so glad to meet a fellow rider of ferocious large cats. Riding my tiger requires a very light hand indeed. Any reins, let alone any attempt from me to pull them, would annoy it to the point of me being thrown off, mauled and eaten. My lion is slightly less fiercely independent when I ride him, but that's probably only because he is getting old, not that I actually tamed him.

Hehe, you got me there, friend XD However I suppose if any of our sweet murderous big felines ever allow anybody to ride them IRL, they graciousness would indeed end immediately as soon as we would try to put any kind or reins on/in their snout. If I want to show my kitty I'm not in a mood to play, I just gently put my hand on his head, like a facehugger, just for 1-2 seconds, then he leaves me alone. He is very kind and gentle though, I suppose most of the cars would bite and claw you if you tried this ;)
    ⊂( ̄(工) ̄)⊃ Don't-Care-Bear ⊂( ̄(工) ̄)⊃
    PC EU "House Tertia" - Friendly Guild for Mature Folks (housetertia.com)
    PC EU "Priests of Hircine" - Awesome Guild for Friendly Werewolves (free bites!)
    Member of "Guild Masters United"
    Master Angler
  • Youmee
    Youmee
    ✭✭✭
    MissAethe wrote: »
    It's so jarring as someone who owns horses IRL to see this weird deformity being the standard horse ear movement in the game.
    Not only ears, but legs, too! Most of the horsies have grown their hind legs too long, which looks unhealthy and unnatural.
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    XxCaLxX wrote: »
    You ever consider that horses of Nirn have different ears than the Earth horses that we're use to?

What?

This isn't real life ????

:#
  • Starlight_Whisper
    Starlight_Whisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You ever consider that horses of Nirn have different ears than the Earth horses that we're use to?

Excuses
  • Starlight_Whisper
    Starlight_Whisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    umagon wrote: »
    The scorpions are missing legs, they have six in game but should have eight.

🤦‍♀️ Seriously so not even basic research
  • Ecileh71
    Ecileh71
    ✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    ESO has the worst horses of any game I've ever seen. I've seen kid's games that had better-looking, more natural horses than ESO does.

IDK man. I watch my husband playing Red Dead 2 and those horses just don't move right AT ALL. And the sound is off as well. At least ESO horses sound correct at all gaits.

I confess (as a horse person) that I had not noticed the ear thing--but I will NOW so thanks for that. :)
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Irfind wrote: »

Bulky horse - 1
    Skinny horse - 2 its the same as elks and indriks no new one, front legs bent round and left hint leg kinks inwards while walking slow

It's actually 3 and they all use the same rig/skeleton, which is why they all run wrong.
    • The first bulky one.
    • The skinny one with horrible textures. The skinniness also helps showing the bad animation and proportions.
    • The newest one the Greymoor pre-order horse has, along with the Zero Legion Destrier and Sovngarde horse. Which looks the best, but it's still wrong in so many ways
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Bulky horse - 1

It's actually 3 and they all use the same rig/skeleton, which is why they all run wrong.
    • The first bulky one.
    • The skinny one with horrible textures. The skinniness also helps showing the bad animation and proportions.
    • The newest one the Greymoor pre-order horse has, along with the Zero Legion Destrier and Sovngarde horse. Which looks the best, but it's still wrong in so many ways

Correct. The third model still has the bad hind legs and neck, but they seem less egregious. This one has the unique problem of being too narrow. I really can't get over it. Sidenote, I suspect the Frostbane horse is this model's early ancestor.
    Edited by SickleCider on November 24, 2020 10:13AM
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Those are Nirnian horse, they arent the same as ours
    Edited by Dark_Lord_Kuro on November 24, 2020 1:41PM
  • EvilAutoTech
    EvilAutoTech
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should've seen what passed for horses in my day. Heck, it was almost impossible to tell them from a tank, or a cactus if I'm being honest. 2600 ftw!
  • Arunei
    Arunei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    To people mentioning the perma-open mouths of horses, they're that way because of issues that happened a few years ago. I don't remember the exact problem, it was something to do with horse mouths moving with NPC dialogue, or something to do with horse noises being made by NPCs, or...it was some sort of audio mixup with horses and NPCs. ZOS' solution was to gives horses permanently open mouths.
    Character List [RP and PvE]:
    Stands-Against-Death: Argonian Magplar Healer - Crafter
    Krisiel: Redguard Stamsorc DPS - Literally crazy Werewolf, no like legit insane. She nuts
    Kiju Veran: Khajiit Stamblade DPS - Ex-Fighters Guild Suthay who likes to punch things, nicknamed Tinykat
    Niralae Elsinal: Altmer Stamsorc DPS - Young Altmer with way too much Magicka
    Sarah Lacroix: Breton Magsorc DPS - Fledgling Vampire who drinks too much water
    Slondor: Nord Tankblade - TESified verson of Slenderman
    Marius Vastino: Imperial <insert role here> - Sarah's apathetic sire who likes to monologue
    Delthor Rellenar: Dunmer Magknight DPS - Sarah's ex who's a certified psychopath
    Lirawyn Calatare: Altmer Magplar Healer - Traveling performer and bard who's 101% vanilla bean
    Gondryn Beldeau: Breton Tankplar - Sarah's Mages Guild mentor and certified badass old person
    Gwendolyn Jenelle: Breton Magplar Healer - Friendly healer with a coffee addiction
    Soliril Larethian- Altmer Magblade DPS - Blind alchemist who uses animals to see and brews plagues in his spare time
    Tevril Rallenar: Dunmer Stamcro DPS - Delthor's "special" younger brother who raises small animals as friends
    Celeroth Calatare: Bosmer <insert role here> - Shapeshifting Bosmer with enough sass to fill Valenwood

PC - NA - EP - CP1000+
    Avid RPer. Hit me up in-game @Ras_Lei if you're interested in getting together for some arr-pee shenanigans!
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I'm on my horse I'm watching where I'm going. I don't think I've ever even looked at my horse beyond an occasional glance.
    PCNA
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These aren't earth horses, they are Nirn horses andthey have different ears.
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I just added that, didn't see your post, exactly!
  • LadyLethalla
    LadyLethalla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I always said, ESO's horses look like they were designed by someone who'd never actually seen a horse and was working off a description someone else gave them...

This is why I always ride cats instead.

The thing that bugs me most about horse riding in video games is that the reins are always slack and never gathered up. I know, First World Gaming Problems xD

I would say whoever designed cat mounts in ESO has never owned one. There's no way any cat would accept anything on his nose/forehead, where all the whiskers are - the reins, the cap or whatever apparel they decided to place there. Not to mention it looks ugly as hell. The wolves and senche-rahts have more reasonable solution, with the thing attached to a saddle. Also, there's something wrong with the front paws, they are crooked from the front and too straight from the side. And those atrocious "speed" accessories, that would only slow the mount down XD

All my mounts have the "accessories" turned off. And I like to think my Psijic Senche - being a conjured cat - can't harm me.
    x-TallyCat-x // PC EU DC - For the Covenant! // ESO Platinum trophy - 16th May 2017.
    Melbourne Australia - the land of Potato Internet.WTB ESO OCEANIC SERVER
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Arunei wrote: »
    To people mentioning the perma-open mouths of horses, they're that way because of issues that happened a few years ago. I don't remember the exact problem, it was something to do with horse mouths moving with NPC dialogue, or something to do with horse noises being made by NPCs, or...it was some sort of audio mixup with horses and NPCs. ZOS' solution was to gives horses permanently open mouths.

Omg, for real? Do you have any idea how I can find out more? 🤣 This kind of nonsense fascinates me.
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Bulky horse - 1

• The first bulky one.

Correct. The third model still has the bad hind legs and neck, but they seem less egregious. This one has the unique problem of being too narrow. I really can't get over it. Sidenote, I suspect the Frostbane horse is this model's early ancestor.

Yeah the narrowness is really bugging me. When I first saw the third model I was like, hey this one isn't that bad. Not good, but not terrible! Aaand then I saw it from the front :| It's body is almost as thick as its neck. Go look at real horses, ZoS!
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • Spell-Slinger
    Spell-Slinger
    ✭✭✭✭
    While on the topic of gaits, I think the most egregious one has got to be the camel. The camel seemingly uses the same animations as the horses and indriks. Camels. What are camels known for? The camel's gait is a pace, with both legs on a side moving together. Camels do not trot. They couldn't even get that right!
  • AlienSlof
    AlienSlof
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    As a matter of fact, my long-time large animal vet (who is a personal friend and shirttail relative as well) decided to try ESO a while back. He couldn't do it because the animals were so wrong.

I referred him to Skyrim with AlienSlof's mods.... He's much happier.

This comment made my day! Thank you. o:)

I hope he's enjoying them. :)
    Bionic Crazy Cat Lady
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AlienSlof wrote: »
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    As a matter of fact, my long-time large animal vet (who is a personal friend and shirttail relative as well) decided to try ESO a while back. He couldn't do it because the animals were so wrong.

I referred him to Skyrim with AlienSlof's mods.... He's much happier.

This comment made my day! Thank you. o:)

I hope he's enjoying them. :)

He is! He said it's refreshing to see a modder who gets it and wanted to know if you would take donations.... He's a REALLY great guy, and in fact, even though our horses are long gone to horse heaven, he brings back his knowledge of dogs and cats just for us....
    Edited by Sylvermynx on November 26, 2020 10:21PM