The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Cyrodil Damage Shields

jaws343
jaws343
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
So pre-Markarth damage shields in pvp rarely were impacted by battle spirit and often a 10k shield in pve equaled a 10k shield in pvp. But I loaded up my sorc for some pvp for the first time since the patch and I am staring at an entirely useless 5k shield in pvp, a shield that is 10k outside of pvp after all of the health and mag scaling. Like, a 5k shield isn't worth the magicka to cast it. And I know this was not how shields scaled before the patch as the health cap usually covered the 50% weaker shield rule of cyrodil.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I even checked it in BGs, sub 5k shield with 30k mag and 20k health in no cp. That shield is usually over 7k in bgs.
  • DeHei
    DeHei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats for sure made, that all the kids can bring you dont with 1 combination of proccsets :D
    DeHei - EP Magicka Templar Allrounder
    De Hei(Youtube)
  • TimeDazzler
    TimeDazzler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was a change semi-recently where shields no longer scale solely on magicka like they did in the past. Now you need a combination of max magicka and spell damage. Also shields in PvP are capped, you get a flat 55% reduction to all heals and shields and depending on what shield ability you use, the maximum shield value will be 40% or 50% of your max health. Honestly shields in no-cp kind of suck, the cp passive that increases the strength of your shields is super good.
    PC NA
    Characters:
    Tımë Ðâzzlër - Stamina Warden - AD
    Tımë Ðâzzłër - Magicka Nightblade - AD
    Tımë Ðâzzłêr - Stamina Templar - AD
    Sugar Deady - Magicka Necromancer - AD
    Sprint v X - Stamina Sorcerer - EP
    Tımë Ðâzzlër Ðk - Stamina Dragonknight - EP
    Time Dazzler - Magicka Warden - DC
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cries wrote: »
    There was a change semi-recently where shields no longer scale solely on magicka like they did in the past. Now you need a combination of max magicka and spell damage. Also shields in PvP are capped, you get a flat 55% reduction to all heals and shields and depending on what shield ability you use, the maximum shield value will be 40% or 50% of your max health. Honestly shields in no-cp kind of suck, the cp passive that increases the strength of your shields is super good.

It's a bigger issue than that though. Prior to Markarth the Battle Spirit reduction calculation happened before the health cap applied, meaning your shield was often at the health cap in pvp if you had your stats right. Now, Battle Spirit is applying after the health cap. So at 20k health, your max shield is 10k with the right stats. But then Battle Spirit applies and your shield is halved. After Markarth you cannot hit the health cap any more.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And there were no listed changes to damage shields this patch, so it should follow that my damage shield in October should equal my damage shield in November. Which is not the case at all. What was once a 7-8k shield in no cp is now sub 5k.
  • Dakkx
    Dakkx
    ✭✭✭
    There haven’t been shield changes in a few patches. If you have around 45k mag and 40 points in bastion you’ll have 10-12k shields in cyrodiil. In no cp that’s a different story though. I think I have a 7-8k shield in no cp with 41k mag while in no cp.
  • Dakkx
    Dakkx
    ✭✭✭
    Cries wrote: »

Also shields still only scale on mag. The change you’re thinking of was only for pets. “ All pets from this skill line now use a hybrid of your Spell Damage and Max Magicka, rather than purely Max Magicka. This change was done to reduce the total power of these abilities when stacking a singular stat.”
    Edited by Dakkx on November 27, 2020 3:05AM
  • Rebiludo
    Rebiludo
    ✭✭✭
    Phew ! I was afraid of having missed something ! But I would like shield scale like pet <3
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The shields are capped then halved rather than halved then capped

Results in a build with 20k health maxing at 4/5k ish in BGs
    Edited by Waffennacht on December 2, 2020 11:48PM
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Ariades_swe
    Ariades_swe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did they change this in Markath?
    Cause I didn't see it in the patch notes.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They did change it in markarth, I also didnt see it in notes and someone mentioned it in the pts and I hope its a bug
    Edited by Waffennacht on December 3, 2020 3:40AM
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They did change it in markarth, I also didnt see it in notes and someone mentioned it in the pts and I hope its a bug

If it isn't a bug they intend to fix, they need to re work how shields work altogether. Because this makes them pretty worthless unless you are stacking major health and mag stats. As it is, 1 attack is enough to melt a shield in cyro. And it's even worse in bgs.

I'd be ok with this change if shields could crit. Since they can now take crit hits from attacks it would be a fair trade off.