The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Antiquity Furnishings are often too big, request multiple sizes

SilverBride
SilverBride
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
The subject says it all. I've gotten some nice items, most recently a Vampire Stained Glass, but it's so big it doesn't fit in most of my houses. Is it possible to offer these in different sizes, so we could choose the large or small model? Then those of us with average sized rooms can place and enjoy them, too.
Edited by SilverBride on November 15, 2020 7:57PM
PCNA
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I want to say there may be an addon on PC to address this, but I'm not sure of details.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No you cannot change sizes on items, even on PC.

While the Vampiric window may be too big for some, for me it is not big enough. Lets just be happy we have more windows to choose from than just the Dark Brotherhood.
    Edited by CaffeinatedMayhem on November 15, 2020 7:39PM
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While the Vampiric window may be too big for some, for me it is not big enough.

This is exactly why having multiple sizes would be great. Then everyone could enjoy these items.

I ended up putting my Vampiric Stained Glass on the staircase landing in Proudspire Manor, which is where my Vampire lives, because it was one of few places where the wall was tall enough. But since there is no outside light source there I'm not getting the stained glass effect on the floor. And it would have been nice to be able to feature it in a more prominent place.

Perhaps when you choose the item from the housing editor there could be a drop down where you could choose small, medium, large and even extra large versions of the item to place.
    PCNA
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    From what I have seen, the vampiric stained glass seems specifically designed to be slotted in Bastion Sanguinaris.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    whitecrow wrote: »
    From what I have seen, the vampiric stained glass seems specifically designed to be slotted in Bastion Sanguinaris.

It's fine that they give us Furnishings that fit specific houses, but they shouldn't be restricted to just one home. But the Vampire Stained Glass isn't the only Antiquity that is large. There is the other stained glass too, for example.
    PCNA
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    whitecrow wrote: »

It's fine that they give us Furnishings that fit specific houses, but they shouldn't be restricted to just one home. But the Vampire Stained Glass isn't the only Antiquity that is large. There is the other stained glass too, for example.

I agree as I have no intention of acquiring that home. But what I mean is there are spaces shaped exactly like the stained glass there. I saw them in a guildmate's house and it was just perfect. I wish they'd put something for the moon glass in the House of the Lunar Champion but maybe they didn't come up with that till later.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No you cannot change sizes on items, even on PC.

While the Vampiric window may be too big for some, for me it is not big enough. Lets just be happy we have more windows to choose from than just the Dark Brotherhood.

I believe @newtinmpls was referring to using the EHT add-on to resize furnishings on PC.

It would certainly be a cool feature in ESO housing to be able to scale furnishings. I have no idea how difficult this would be to implement though.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe @newtinmpls was referring to using the EHT add-on to resize furnishings on PC.

It would certainly be a cool feature in ESO housing to be able to scale furnishings. I have no idea how difficult this would be to implement though.

I know you can customize a lot with addons, but those effects would only be visible to others with the addon. I want my homes to look good to everyone.

I don't know how difficult it would be, but Rift had that feature. I honestly don't remember if every item was scalable, but all the building components were.
    Edited by SilverBride on November 18, 2020 6:46PM
    PCNA
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I know you can customize a lot with addons, but those effects would only be visible to others with the addon. I want my homes to look good to everyone.

I don't know how difficult it would be, but Rift had that feature. I honestly don't remember if every item was scalable, but all the building components were.

I agree completely! I wouldn’t want a major component of my build to depend on an add-on and I don’t know whether scaled elements are just invisible to visitors without EHT. I just wanted to clarify in case the information could be of help to anyone. :)
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you. :)
    PCNA
  • cynicalbutterfly
    cynicalbutterfly
    ✭✭✭✭
    A scaling feature might be better than having an item in different sizes. An item too big? No problem! Just hit that minimize button until it's perfect. Typically, I just find a spot for bigger stuff outside though. Like that giant murkmire sundial thingy (forgot the name tbh). I got that thing leaning outside againist a rock so it legit looks like my guy rolled it home and plopped it there.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    I want to say there may be an addon on PC to address this, but I'm not sure of details.

If it is possible I would expect the Essential Housing Tools would be able to do it. I am not saying it does, but I think that is the most comprehensive addon for dealing with furnishings. I think.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A scaling feature might be better than having an item in different sizes
    . An item too big? No problem! Just hit that minimize button until it's perfect. Typically, I just find a spot for bigger stuff outside though. Like that giant murkmire sundial thingy (forgot the name tbh). I got that thing leaning outside againist a rock so it legit looks like my guy rolled it home and plopped it there.

I agree and expect those who would want different sizes would agree. It allows customization.

This has been asked for before since drapes and other items do not always fit well.

I do not do a lot of decorating as I pretty much just using housing for DPS dummies, central crafting, and storage. However, I have been placing the antiquities furnishings as I think many are the best decos we have in the game.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A scaling feature might be better than having an item in different sizes.

I love this idea. It would be especially great for curtains and rugs. I know those aren't antiquities, but this would be great for a lot of Furnishings.
    PCNA
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A thought that crossed my mind is both ways Zos could do this could be problematic.

1. Scaling of furnishings is something that would have to be stored server-side. This would be necessary for other players to see the furnishings at their adjusted size. That adds a level of server load which is something Zos is attempting to reduce, not increase. This idea has the greatest benefit for players as they can adjust the size to what they desire.

2. Having large items in different sizes poses the least load on the server as they are just a normal furnishing, but does increase the inventory requirements for players while reducing. This path would probably require the least work for Zos to implement. This idea has less benefit for the player as the sizes would still be specific and only certain items would come in multiple sizes.

Just noting some of the issues, and benefits, of both ideas.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    A thought that crossed my mind is both ways Zos could do this could be problematic.

1. Scaling of furnishings is something that would have to be stored server-side. This would be necessary for other players to see the furnishings at their adjusted size. That adds a level of server load which is something Zos is attempting to reduce, not increase. This idea has the greatest benefit for players as they can adjust the size to what they desire.

2. Having large items in different sizes poses the least load on the server as they are just a normal furnishing, but does increase the inventory requirements for players while reducing. This path would probably require the least work for Zos to implement. This idea has less benefit for the player as the sizes would still be specific and only certain items would come in multiple sizes.

If you chose the size as you placed the item (I think that is what @SilverBride was originally suggesting?) it would not take up extra room in your inventory. However, if it was discrete sizes instead of scaling, would that not be comparatively minimal extra load on the server? I could be completely wrong, but that seems like it could be a good compromise. On the other hand, that would take extra work for someone to set the selectable sizes for every single item for which this were an option...
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure how Rift did it but you could resize by pulling the item in or out, so it wasn't restricted to set sizes. Not sure this would be possible with ESO, though.
    PCNA
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you chose the size as you placed the item (I think that is what @SilverBride was originally suggesting?) it would not take up extra room in your inventory. However, if it was discrete sizes instead of scaling, would that not be comparatively minimal extra load on the server? I could be completely wrong, but that seems like it could be a good compromise. On the other hand, that would take extra work for someone to set the selectable sizes for every single item for which this were an option...

I assume you are speaking to Cynical's idea that Silver, and myself, agreed would serve players best. My first point is what you quoted spoke to that. Yes, that would not impact inventory but it would impact server load since that is additional information the serer would need to store and then access every time a player accessed the house. Zos is trying to reduce server load and in the process avoid adding to it.

Inventory would be impacted only if Zos needed to supply various sizes of large items which would be the easiest for them to build out and have less impact on the servers. However, it would be less beneficial to the players.

The antiquities home is the first one I have been decorating outside of functional stuff because the antiquities decos are the best I have seen in the game. I have been doing more antiquities to get more of the decos as a result. The other home that I have my DPS dummies and basic crafting stations have less than 50 other decos such as my large glowing gargoyle. I have seen how large some of the items are. While the size and detail of them are why I like them I can understand some people may find placing them a little challenging.

Hopefully, Zos finds a solution.
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    We could infinitely scale furniture in Landmark to a degree. The devs set a min and max size, but everything in between was infinitely scalable (not set to predefined sizes).

I am not sure how the ZOS engine handles this stuff, but a 3D object is a vector object and its size is dictated by values so for all intents and purposes a no cost load differential. Art is rasterized and would only present a greater impact if its resolution was increased which is not something ZOS would go about doing (reworking all the art or scaling it up for every item...that would take ages).

The issue I see with scaling is that the older assets which have a lesser resolution could not scale up much beyond what they are without looking terrible. the newer stuff could be scaled to a degree.

Scaling up is always an issue as the art itself will not scale in resolution, and therefore would look crummy.

I'd love to see scaling, but I think the range would be quite limited in order to maintain the look of the game.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find the large objects impossible to use in almost all my homes, even in the courtyards. Some are even too big to place nicely in the new Antiquity home, even outside, as big as that yard is. Bigger isn't always better.

I do think that some things shouldn't be resized though, such as chairs, beds, tables, fireplaces etc., because they would look too unrealistic and chairs would lose their functionality.
    Edited by SilverBride on November 20, 2020 7:41AM
    PCNA
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I assume you are speaking to Cynical's idea that Silver, and myself, agreed would serve players best. My first point is what you quoted spoke to that. Yes, that would not impact inventory but it would impact server load since that is additional information the serer would need to store and then access every time a player accessed the house. Zos is trying to reduce server load and in the process avoid adding to it.

Inventory would be impacted only if Zos needed to supply various sizes of large items which would be the easiest for them to build out and have less impact on the servers. However, it would be less beneficial to the players.

The antiquities home is the first one I have been decorating outside of functional stuff because the antiquities decos are the best I have seen in the game. I have been doing more antiquities to get more of the decos as a result. The other home that I have my DPS dummies and basic crafting stations have less than 50 other decos such as my large glowing gargoyle. I have seen how large some of the items are. While the size and detail of them are why I like them I can understand some people may find placing them a little challenging.

Hopefully, Zos finds a solution.

Sorry I was unclear. I was thinking that choosing between discrete sizes rather than scaling (which of course would be ideal from the furnishing perspective) but I may be completely wrong about that.

I agree that many of these are most excellent furnishings and am thrilled at so many Elven themed! :smiley: