The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Healing as a DPS mage

Biscuit_290
Biscuit_290
✭✭✭
How can I heal myself without foods/potions while holding destruction staff? Is there any skill? Or do I have to have a restoration staff(and related skills) to heal myself?

I have a breton at level 12
Edited by Biscuit_290 on November 5, 2020 3:54AM
  • Recapitated
    Recapitated
    ✭✭✭✭
    Harness/Dampen Magicka from the light armor skill line. Whether you have access to other heals that you can slot on a destro staff depends on your class.

You should probably be using food and potions regardless.
    Edited by Recapitated on November 5, 2020 3:56AM
  • Biscuit_290
    Biscuit_290
    ✭✭✭
    :o
  • Recapitated
    Recapitated
    ✭✭✭✭
    At least use those free Crown Fortifying Meals you get from daily rewards and the Gold Coast Spellcaster potions. Or Alliance Draughts.
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whether you have access to other heals that you can slot on a destro staff depends on your class.

Every class has something.

Warden, Templar and Necromancer are easy because they have whole skill lines devoted to healing (including a burst heal as the fist skill in the line).

Dragonknights have Obsidian Shard (morph of Stonefist), Obsidian Shield, and Dragon Blood.

Sorcerers have the Blood Magic passive, which does a lot of healing if you spam Crystal Shard, and Surge adds even more (nearly) passive healing. They also have Dark Exchange and Winged Twilight (although there's a good chance you'll eventually take the non-healing morph) for burst healing.

Nightblades are more limited in terms of on-demand burst healing, but they have a bunch of heal over time skills that should prevent you from missing it too much, including: Strife, Siphoning Strikes, and Dark Cloak (morph of Shadow Cloak). They also have Shadow Cloak (and the Shadowy Disguise morph), which can help reduce the need for a burst heal by letting you turn invisible and disengage from a fight that's not going well.

That's not an exhaustive list of heals available to magicka classes without a restoration staff, but most of the ones I left out are either unreliable (Mark Target) or pretty much designed for dedicated healers because you have to give up good damage morphs to get them.

Edit: You may notice that I didn't list any really low level, active, options for Sorcerer. That's partly because they don't really have much, but it's also because I forgot about Unstable Clannfear (morph of Unstable Familiar). It isn't really ideal for a magicka sorcerer because of its scaling, but at low levels its healing might be your best option.
    Edited by the1andonlyskwex on November 5, 2020 4:56AM
  • Recapitated
    Recapitated
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whether you have access to other heals that you can slot on a destro staff depends on your class.

Warden,Templar and Necromancer are easy because they have whole skill lines devoted to healing (including a burst heal as the fist skill in the line).

Dragonknights have Obsidian Shard (morph of Stonefist), Obsidian Shield, and Dragon Blood.

Sorcerers have the Blood Magic passive,which does a lot of healing if you spam Crystal Shard, and Surge adds even more (nearly) passive healing. They also have Dark Exchange and Winged Twilight (although there's a good chance you'll eventually take the non-healing morph) for burst healing.

Nightblades are more limited in terms of on-demand burst healing, but they have a bunch of heal over time skills that should prevent you from missing it too much, including: Strife, Siphoning Strikes, and Dark Cloak (morph of Shadow Cloak). They also have Shadow Cloak (and the Shadowy Disguise morph), which can help reduce the need for a burst heal by letting you turn invisible and disengage from a fight that's not going well.

That's not an exhaustive list of heals available to magicka classes without a restoration staff, but most of the ones I left out are either unreliable (Mark Target) or pretty much designed for dedicated healers because you have to give up good damage morphs to get them.

Edit: You may notice that I didn't list any really low level, active, options for Sorcerer. That's partly because they don't really have much, but it's also because I forgot about Unstable Clannfear (morph of Unstable Familiar). It isn't really ideal for a magicka sorcerer because of its scaling, but at low levels its healing might be worth having.

Yeah you’re right, I just wasn’t categorising crit surge as a heal mentally
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Warden,Templar and Necromancer are easy because they have whole skill lines devoted to healing (including a burst heal as the fist skill in the line).

Sorcerers have the Blood Magic passive,which does a lot of healing if you spam Crystal Shard, and Surge adds even more (nearly) passive healing. They also have Dark Exchange and Winged Twilight (although there's a good chance you'll eventually take the non-healing morph) for burst healing.

Edit: You may notice that I didn't list any really low level, active, options for Sorcerer. That's partly because they don't really have much, but it's also because I forgot about Unstable Clannfear (morph of Unstable Familiar). It isn't really ideal for a magicka sorcerer because of its scaling, but at low levels its healing might be worth having.

Yeah you’re right, I just wasn’t categorising crit surge as a heal mentally
    Its an very nice heal. Dark Exchange is also very nice its also restore magic from stamina, it has an cast time however.
    Matriarch is also very nice but then you start becoming an healer, its an very good emergency heal in an group.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How can I heal myself without foods/potions while holding destruction staff? Is there any skill? Or do I have to have a restoration staff(and related skills) to heal myself?

I have a breton at level 12

The important bit is what class ?

If you have a destruction staff then you could also try and get yourself to 5 pieces of winter's respite - that will give you a healing circle whenever you use elemental blockade on your staff (which I would think by 12 you probably have ?).

Also do not forget that you also have both blocking and running away a bit so the enemy has to run after you, especially as you have better range than most targets and providing you run them in circles they'll not get out of range and leave/reset.
    Too many toons not enough time
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Slot the Twilight Matriarch pet. While it has been reduced, its heal is still very good.