The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
The connection issues for the North American megaservers have been resolved at this time. If you continue to experience difficulties at login, please restart your client. Thank you for your patience!

Shield clipping, and a possible simple fix

ArchMikem
ArchMikem
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Clipping has always been a major issue and will likely never be permanently worked on. Shields though are always clipping no matter what style it is unless the model size is rather small, or you're playing a Humanoid Race with the posterior slider at minimum.

PYqOT2q.png

I main Khajiit and Argonian characters, and I prefer rather maxed posteriors, so obviously my Stamknight, the one character that actually would use a 1H&S setup has awful clipping. I even spent 1k crowns for the Appearance change token just to see if I could alter the body proportions to minimize or even cancel the clipping. Unfortunately, even with the butt as small as possible, the Tail still pokes through the shield at that point. Even though if she were say, an Imperial the shield would then look just fine on her, but as a Beast Race there's no escaping the clipping.

Unless. I had been staring at the idle animations for several minutes, watching what the Shield does, and I had an idea. Depending on the shape of the shield's model. Is it flat? Or does it curve outward toward the center? My possible fix is very simple.

MzU3LSM.png

Rotate. Take the item's position on the character model and rotate it so it's straight vertical. This gives styles with convex shapes a large chance to stay separated from the player model as well as possible avoiding beast Race tails as well. It may not be a fix across the board, but it may help multiple styles.

On a side note though, I noticed an oddity when mounted.

pODS5oA.png

No clipping at all while on a mount. Interesting how it doesn't conflict here, but it does while standing.
CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Xuhora
    Xuhora
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sorry for the slightly off-topic, what style is your shield?
    Options
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shield of Senchal, it's so great!
    Options
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My necro tank's hair clips through literally half of the shield when it's on her back. It's the welkynar style, which is fairly small, and she's as short as a nord will allow. It's really irritating.
    Edited by UntilValhalla13 on October 30, 2020 8:54AM
    Options
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My necro tank's hair clips through literally half of the shield when it's on her back. It's the welkynar style, which is fairly small, and she's as short as a nord will allow. It's really irritating.

Sometimes I'd really like to take a course in code or programming, so I could actually understand the technical knowhow behind why these things happen and how hard it is to correct them. The extent of my knowledge is about giving specific things collision physics.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
    Options
  • Ellimist_Entreri
    Ellimist_Entreri
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with doing it all using physics would be the added calculation and computation cost that goes on for that. What would be a more performant solution would be swapping specific portions of the character (Hair, Tail, anything else impacted) for shield adjusted variants when shields are equipped and not held. This will still have the overhead of additional variants for each portion of the character model swapped, as well as the code needed to actually swap them - but it is a much more efficient solution to the issue.
    Edited by Ellimist_Entreri on October 30, 2020 10:01PM
    Options