The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

1500 for a SINGLE CHAR Outfit Slot?!

JSlayer211
JSlayer211
✭✭✭
One slot upgrade for ONE CHARACTER is $15 USD?!!! Are you seriously having a laugh? That is outrageously high.

That is too high just to have 1 additional cosmetic outfit per CHARACTER!!!!!!!!!!
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think a lot of crown store prices are inflated by the fact that an ESO Plus subscription includes 1650 crowns per month.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What, you don't want to pay $1200 or so to unlock all the slots on all your characters? :lol:

More seriously, everyone got one free outfit slot per character. But since outfits fit in the same #fashionscrolls niche as Crown Store costumes and polymorphs, ZOS is obviously going to want their money's worth to let players change up their appearance whenever they want past that one free slot.

Also, this is kind of...not news, you know? Maybe it sucks to find out the price is this high now, but its been that way since Outfits came out in 2018. Players yelled about it then and every so often afterwards, but ZOS seems happy with the price. Old thread with the math here, though I think we've added another character slot since then, IIRC: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/394951/1500-crowns-per-outfit-slot-1-slot-just-under-1200-for-every-slot/p1

Me, I just use my free outfit slot. I'm not buying more at that price.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As mentioned in the post above mine, @JSlayer211, ESO fashion is purely cosmetic ... if you want to play "vogue" then be ready to pay.

Fortunately, there are a number of ways to get around purchasing additional outfit tokens. Using the free slot with the leveling rewards is one.

Crafting gear in your style of choice is another. Crafted gear means you don't have to use the Outfit Overlay at all.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think ZOS sets some items insanely high on purpose, knowing players will think it's a ripoff. By doing this, items prices slightly lower can be seen as a bargain compared to the "overpriced outfit slots".

Since they set the prices on their currency, it's completely up to them to determine what it's worth. They need to have outliers on both ends so players get an idea of what a good deal is so we feel good about spending on certain things.

$15 for a single outfit slot is generally considered a horrible deal by most players, but it makes things like DLC and account unlocks like any race/any alliance look like amazing deals by comparison.
  • rexagamemnon
    rexagamemnon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya its ridiculas, that should be a 100crowns item
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed @JSlayer211 The 1500 price tag gives me the impression it would be an unlock for the entire account, but nope...its one character, quite expensive, insanely expensive, insultingly expensive. My advice, dont buy them. I find it better to use costumes for most of my characters, those are quick slottable and you can change them on the fly. If you sub to ESO+ (which I do recommend), then you can dye costumes as part of your subscription fee.

Edited by Raideen on October 29, 2020 3:31PM
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1500 does seem much too high when it is per character and yet more than any costume which are account wide. I must confess though that I did buy one for my main this past month to give her an outfit for Witches Festival. It probably would have been more sensible to pay gold to change her outfit and then change it back again... I really like the idea of having different outfits though and would buy more and not only for my main if they were 100-500 Crowns each instead.
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    1500 does seem much too high when it is per character and yet more than any costume which are account wide. I must confess though that I did buy one for my main this past month to give her an outfit for Witches Festival. It probably would have been more sensible to pay gold to change her outfit and then change it back again... I really like the idea of having different outfits though and would buy more and not only for my main if they were 100-500 Crowns each instead.

Agreed. I really do not understand why ZOS prices things so high as to ward off people from buying them. I would GLADLY spend 1500 for an additional slot if it was per account, heck I might buy 3 or 4 it it were per account, but as it stands I wont touch it, not even with "sale" crowns. I'd just buy an outfit and quick slot it.

My GF feels the same way, I have talked to many others who feel the same way. It would seem to me that most of the forum talk feels the same way. All I know is that when you have a digital good that costs nothing to reproduce, you should want to sell as many of them as possible.

I imagine they feel they make more by selling a few at an expensive price, than selling more at a lower price. If true, this would only work if the customer base was limited, meaning a low player count, because Walmart proved that selling items cheap to the masses will make you rich.
  • JSlayer211
    JSlayer211
    ✭✭✭
    Raideen wrote: »
    insultingly expensive

If the staff at ZOS take nothing else from this thread, take this quote. It's not even about something being slightly overpriced, or even a little pushing the envelope.

It's 7 levels of hell past absurdity in pricing.

You aren't building customer loyalty or enthusiasm to continue shopping with you. You are running people away with their pockets full of money because they refuse to take such ridiculous deals.

I've not had much interest in the fashion end game. Even my characters I have now are poorly put together. I did however put together one look that I liked in all that time. So I thought to myself, you have some crowns left over, how much could it be to add a slot?! Yikes!

I'll leave those prices to the diehards of ESO Vogue Fashion.

There are certain game developers out there that treat their gamers hard earned money with respect. Those companies are doing insanely well and get preorders and continued support out the wazoo. Then there's this ESO model... Gouge away while you have people to gouge I guess. Just know that there is no long term future in your business model.
    Edited by JSlayer211 on October 29, 2020 6:52PM
  • Kiyakotari
    Kiyakotari
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JSlayer211 wrote: »
    There are certain game developers out there that treat their gamers hard earned money with respect. Those companies are doing insanely well and get preorders and continued support out the wazoo. Then there's this ESO model... Gauge away while you have people to gauge I guess. Just know that there is no long term future in your business model.

I actually had a moment of confusion here, and thought this referred to game companies measuring players while they had players to measure. I believe the word you're looking for is "gouge." That said, as a general rule I do agree that the prices in the ESO crown store are excessive in the extreme.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That 40 page feedback thread never got a response, not to mention that at first the wording of the CS item didn't make it clear it wasn't account-wide... It's one of those things ZOS knows the customers are reasonably upset about, but they choose to ignore it.