Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Looking for controls advice

Tasio
Tasio
Soul Shriven
Hi,
I find the keyboard layout a bit uncomfortable, the main issue is that I can't use skills (1,2,3,4,5) without releasing some of the direction keys (A,S,D,W) so this mean that when rotations are fast paced I have to be a bit static. I understand that if I keep practicing I will get better at it but my question is not about how to get better but about having a better experience, sadly I don't really enjoy the controls and I was wondering if anyone has found a better layout or has any other advice, I already tried a controller but I don't find the experience better.
  • Recapitated
    Recapitated
    ✭✭✭✭
    I use an old Razer Naga model, it was a bit challenging to switch at first but it makes a big difference.
  • Recent
    Recent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also use a raza naga mouse with 12 buttons. I use just 6 for my skills and it works well.

Skills 123
    456 mouse buttons with right hand

Then keyboard / right hand i use ;
    R for ultimate
    T for synergy
    F for interrupt
    Tab for bar swap

I find using a 12 button mouse and then binding my keyboard keys as above has made a huge difference to my game experience.

Then i use f1 for toggle walk run
    F2 for dismiss pet
    And all other function keys for armour swap or trait buddy so basically addons
    Edited by Recent on October 27, 2020 7:47PM
  • Recapitated
    Recapitated
    ✭✭✭✭
    I use ESDF for movement and W/R for bar swaps.
  • Tasio
    Tasio
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for the answers, an mmorpg mouse could work but sadly the good ones seems expensive and this is the only game I play where controls are an issue.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also find the reach to 1-5 more than I like. So I use QWERT for my five skills.

I use spacebar and B for forwards and backwards. That frees up a couple keys and puts my thumb to work. Then I use S and D for left right and work around it, remapping other skills as needed.

My current mouse has two side buttons that help alot. I've tried and rejected mice with 7 and 12 side buttons; My thumb gets lost among them and gets sore (old joints).
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Recapitated
    Recapitated
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you're using WASD, reaching 1, 4 and especially 5 is kind of a headache. Consider Q23ER instead.