The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Crafting Furniture Materials

Erissime
Erissime
✭✭✭
Since I have seen no recent thread on this point, I should like to ask all of you interested in crafting the furniture rather than buying it how do you feel about the recent booming prices of those materials? I personally do not find it fair to see prices jumping 100 times and more higher per piece while the furniture itself remains at fairly affordable prices in most guild traders. So this thread is to propose two possible solutions - either ALL furniture crafters dramatically increase the prices of their items (which will truly make housing purely end-game content, as it seems the majority of those end game players seem to be wanting it, unfair as it may be to the new players) - either ZOS changes the drop rate by increasing it so that everybody is able to afford it without such a waste of money and time. Because as it goes housing becomes a more and more redundant feature rather than the beautiful and creational one which is (still) at this time - but I truly do not see how new people could adhere to it in these rhythms. Also zos, the drop rate of materials is very unbalanced. Some items drop more than others, not always same. Last year there seemed to be a need of mundande runes ( accordingly exploited by guild traders) this year you seem to be overlooking the heartwood. The decorative wax remains as poorly spread as ever - just to name a few. The other materials, still affordable by trade, are starting to increase their price per item by the day - therefore please give a serious thought to what I wrote above - if indeed housing is a feature meant for all.

Thank you
Edited by Erissime on October 26, 2020 10:20AM
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like anything that's for sale at the guild traders, @Erissime, market price is based on supply and demand ... even if that's above your threshold for which you would be willing to pay.

On the bright side, there are a number of ways you can personally improve your materials stores:

1. Spend a little extra time farming per game session. If you're on PC, there are add-ons that can help with farming routes. After that, it's up to you to just execute.

2. Review your personal material usage. For example, are there some furnishing equivalents that use less mundane runes or less heartwood that the furnishings you're currently making? Are there furnishing equivalents that can be bought at the NPC furnisher or guild stores ... instead of crafting them outright?

3. Can any of your furnishing creations be sold for extra gold?
  • AoEnwyr
    AoEnwyr
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's unlikely that there will be any move by ZOS to interfere. Crown purchases of furniture will be a good income stream, and the more people that are driven to do that after weighing up the gold price in game, the better for them.

Prices for runes, heartwood and decorative wax have certainly increased and there is definitely price gouging happening around event periods. I would be treating these as only viable to purchase if you are attempting to turn a profit by crafting more exclusive furniture pieces or you are crafting a specific and rare piece for personal use.

This seems to be the price point they are aimed at - for Master Crafters or those with enough gold to purchase master craft blueprints. These high end items can sell for large amounts of gold and gatherers are wanting a bigger share of that pie. I don't see them being viable items to purchase to turn a profit on common furniture pieces.

There are many basic furniture pieces you can craft without or with very few mundane runes/heartwood/decorative wax if you are looking to make low cost items to sell, although there are many of these currently on the market. You also tend to see a hike in prices of the runes/wax/heartwood when a blueprints are introduced into the game (i.e. via DLC areas) or when there is a major housing event like the one we have just had.

Ultimately however, you can just go out and gather your own. It is time consuming, but outside of that it's free and you can make a profit selling the other materials you gather to offset your time expenditure.

Don't forget about scrying, luxury vendor and achievement furnishers that sell some very nice pieces

Edited by AoEnwyr on October 27, 2020 2:22AM
  • Erissime
    Erissime
    ✭✭✭
    Well thank you all for the input but this is not what I am trying to say here. While your points are in fact the only logical ones in the current flow of things - what I mean to say is that the new player has very little to no chance at all in joining this whole housing adventure - at least not without a whole lot of wasted time - which is what gathering your own materials means - and in order to decently furnish something even from own creations, of the most base kind requires too big an amount than any average player is willing to spend in said gathering. Therefore the next viable step remains the guild store - yet when for a new player every 1k gold is important, how would they even be able to approach that?

And to finish answering all of your inputs - I am not that new player. I am in fact quite capable of affording pretty much anything I want, both via crafting as well as via gold, and ultimately crowns when all else fails. I own every piece of furniture from antiquities, and I am an enthusiast of the housing/furniture system. I merely speak from my own experience of how it was when I joined ( when prices were decent enough to afford me furnish some small dwellings without too much exhaustion - as I have always relied on guild stores for that extra bit my time would not allow me to gather) - and how it is now - in which if I would still have been a beginner - would pretty much feel untouchable.

My main question remains - how will said beginner be able to join the housing system - which seems to be meant for all - when the community itself is striving so hard to turn it into "end game content" - bottom line - zos may enjoy the crowns flow, but do they really want this feature to look hopeless for the new player? Because the trick with earning in game is a good incentive to go on - and yes, use crowns also - eventually - but when that fails due to what I perceive as downright greed and selfishness from all those encouraging these enormous changes in the guilds market prices - how will that help zos? If I were a new player in this context, I would just be like - housing? sure, when and if I can afford it - insert here a player happy with 3 chairs and a table for a fortune in gold - it looks like a house already. Why bother with crown packs or items? (and I am talking about the average player, not the passionate about it who WOULD spend crowns regardless of what is happening in the game). That is another category entirely which couldn't care less about all this - because crowns. But hardly a majority.

So yes, please bring back balance in the system, and allow everyone to afford these things - within reason , for I completely agree with the idea of " work for it if you wish it" - before the players are making out of it some elitist sort of show off ( which I think was never intended by the creators).
    Edited by Erissime on October 27, 2020 12:05PM
  • Erissime
    Erissime
    ✭✭✭
    Like anything that's for sale at the guild traders, @Erissime, market price is based on supply and demand ... even if that's above your threshold for which you would be willing to pay.

On the bright side, there are a number of ways you can personally improve your materials stores:

1. Spend a little extra time farming per game session. If you're on PC, there are add-ons that can help with farming routes. After that, it's up to you to just execute.

2. Review your personal material usage. For example, are there some furnishing equivalents that use less mundane runes or less heartwood that the furnishings you're currently making? Are there furnishing equivalents that can be bought at the NPC furnisher or guild stores ... instead of crafting them outright?

3. Can any of your furnishing creations be sold for extra gold?

1 - that little extra time for farming with add ons and everything else helpful on the PC is turning into full time farming when one is not willing/able to pay the current prices in guild stores. Conclusion? - unable to play the game at all - just farm.

2. - no real housing passionate would compromise an idea for the sake of price

3. - not in the least at this time - unless I grow up prices by at least 10 times - ultimately unapproachable by the new player
    Edited by Erissime on October 27, 2020 12:52PM
  • MentalShadow
    MentalShadow
    Soul Shriven
    As a player who enjoys farming a lot, ( yes it is ultimately relaxing and soothing to do so at times ) I have to say that this is indeed a "painful" issue. It can be frustrating having to farm -at times endlessly- only to be able to craft your very own furniture for your housing needs, I don't even mention to sell them or make a profit out of it unless I would have to make farming a full-time job and this is not the reason I joined this game.

I will agree with Erissime about the matter, Heartwood, wax and mundane, ( with wax and heartwood being the leaders in slow dropping rate) are becoming a luxury as of late and it would be really good to see either of those two proposed solutions by Erissime becoming a reality. I am aware that this is not an easy thing to happen but even a slight increase in the drop rate from ZOS of those particular items would help immensely all those who enjoy their housing adventures while crafting their furniture.

As for the other solution, - increase furniture prices in general - although it is something reasonable and i would like to see that happening, i find it somewhat difficult to become a reality because it would require most crafters to cooperate and agree even silently toward such a move. If we want to talk about numbers, it feels cheaper to buy an already made furniture piece than buying the mats in order to craft it yourself.

Ultimately, I believe that the creativity and enjoyment of being able to craft and decorate your own house should be accessible for everyone, new and old players. To a degree, this is already happening, the restriction is that someone without the luxury of owning tons of gold or Crowns, will have to compromise and get cheaper, or simpler kinds of items for his or her house, and those willing to spend endless days and nights farming will be able to at least craft some of their own luxury furniture even without having to spend a fortune buying those increasingly expensive mats.

Let's hope something will be done about it.
    Edited by MentalShadow on October 27, 2020 6:57PM
    The Writers Guild

EU Megaserver Roleplay Guild
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I started playing last year and collecting furnishing plans and leveling up m crafting were major goals! :) In the mean time, I was able to get started in housing with a few cheaper pieces and then bought a furnished house and some sets from the Crown store. Now I recently achieved Unsurpassed Crafter and was thrilled to buy some of those exclusive furnishing recipes! :blush:

It is strange that furnishing pieces are sold below cost. I can only think it’s someone who has extra and is just trying to get rid of it? I don’t know, but I believe what you are saying and never craft furnishings to chance selling (plus I need all my furnishing mats for my own insatiable use!).

All that to say that I don’t see housing as exclusionary to newcomers, any more than any part of the game is. It is a long term process and will take a combination of time and gold or Crowns, in what ratio is up to you.

I rarely buy mats from traders, but it is ridiculous to complain about the prices and accuse people of gauging — that simply doesn’t apply. As others have pointed out, it is sold at what people are willing to pay. If there were some sort of price ceiling, then people wouldn’t sell these mats at all except on whatever form of “black market” could be devised. Anyway, for those not interested in housing, I imagine it’s a welcome source of revenue, just like I have decided that it’s worth more to me to sell my chromium platings than to have top tier jewelry.
  • Erissime
    Erissime
    ✭✭✭
    It is ridiculous indeed to complain about prices in a well balanced system. But when the prices jump as high as this, and their immediate outcome ( furniture itself) - doesn't follow - something is ... wrong. As for my calling this move selfish and greedy? - I may indeed be wrong on the greed side ( but we all know trade is based on that ) - how else would you call though the general outcome for the newcomers I have pointed out? And wherever you turn hearing (usually high level players already established in their ways) - "this is end game content " - as a newcomer? While all of us know and see that the intent is for all to partake. Yes last year (about the time I started myself) what you said was yet possible - as it goes - it will become less and less possible for the newcomers though. And yes I could not care less myself - for I have already stated my own self-sufficiency on the matter - but what kind of a community is this if we all just sit back and ... just let things happen - because we are well on our ways anyway? (I won't ask how is this called... yes?) .
    Edited by Erissime on October 27, 2020 11:53PM
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Erissime I certainly care about those new to the game and new to ESO housing! What I meant to express is that, so long as players are diligent in looting and gathering, that by the time they are able to craft a furnishing, they will very likely have gathered enough materials to do so. I am not seeing how housing would be more difficult to get into now than it was a year ago. In fact, many furnishing plans seem more plentiful and less expensive than when I started, but maybe it is instead that I better know where to look.

Personally, I’d be all in favor of increased drop rate of furnishing materials! And while it makes sense for some furnishings to require an expensive material or two, I don’t understand why everything must be made out of the most rare wood (and so forth) in Tamriel! :confounded:
  • rrimöykk
    rrimöykk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think everything else is fine but the drop rates. Would love if they increased them a bit, especially when 100 new plans coming in Markarth which all require mundane again.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    New players don’t have gold to buy furnishing mats or furnishings themselves, but farming is free and only takes time. Same for furnishing plans, you can farm and learn the ones you need and sell the rest to buy more.

I have done that and accumulated enough gold to buy mats and plans outright but I still farm all my own mats and farm furnishing plans every day. It doesn’t take that much time if you set aside some time for it.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Erissime
    Erissime
    ✭✭✭
    You all are correct - what I am trying to outline here is the bigger picture of the chain. And the issue is simple - higher furniture mats prices ( with which I myself personally do not have a problem - I mean sure there is a demand? sell it. You want gold? push it as far as you can - simple trade rules). But as a player goes, that little time required in the beginning increases ( leading to what I said - full time farming for the more advanced player which no longer wishes to complete their requirements by guild traaders)

But when an item directly affects the life of another ( furniture mats = furniture) - and you see all over the place high priced mats ( increasing as we speak ) vs cheap by now furniture - that is wrong. As for what an increase will mean - I already stated in the first post. However - for all those "kind" furniture traders out there - note that if you wish to be kind to the beginner, because you can afford it - gift. Posting extremely under-priced ( by comparison with the ever alive materials trade) items only ruins it for all the others (and lets face it - you all want your gains - underpriced items = faster gain - I won't tell again how that's called yes?)

Accordingly (to point yet another thing I noticed higher above in a post) - " it’s worth more to me to sell my chromium platings than to have top tier jewellery." which is a reality - leads to worse players for other content. Why? - look back at all those complaints about not so good players in dungeons and other content up to which one cannot stand but would like to - yet are forced to have priorities. This is slowly ( but surely) braking the gamers in categories - pure gamers ( pve/pvp content - mainly) and housing players ( farming and some low pve - also enough to provide for housing ) - more and more excluded from other content due to not enough numbers - all it's a chain.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Of course it is "fair." It is also fair for you to not buy things you consider too expensive.

And what is the problem with people being "selfish and greedy" when selling items in guild stores? They should seek whatever prices they can get. If you don't like it, YOU do the farming. If you find the farming painful, well, so do the people farming most of the time. But they do it for the money.

If the items are cheaper, go buy the items. When they are bought up, people will notice they are moving fast and increase prices, leading to balance. It takes time for markets to reach equilibrium. It takes time before a change in the cost of an input leads to a change in the cost of an output. And since we have a bunch of siloed guild traders in ESO and a lack of tools for most players to know market prices, equilibrium might not happen. I can also imagine an astute player buying up underpriced mats to flip, but not wanting to deal with the inventory clutter and low return per guild store slot of flipping underpriced furniture.

I will probably list a bunch of crafting mats tonight after reading this thread. I haven't been paying attention to prices, but am definitely up for making money.

The game is not designed for players to have easy access to all the furniture they want when they want it. It tries to make you work for it.
    Edited by DaveMoeDee on October 28, 2020 1:52PM
  • Erissime
    Erissime
    ✭✭✭
    You probably did not read well what I said - you want to grow the prices in furniture mats? good - do so - but this growth is happening in over half a year now - while the actual furniture market remains untouched . And when I asked in game why is this I was told down -right - "because the furniture crafters are kind people" . The way it affects on a longer run the game I already stated. How much longer is there needed for the market to reach an equilibrium and how do you explain the flood of cheap furni other than older players having done their fair share of buying and settled needs, not giving a dime about what is going on around - because they are .. "kind" - seriously? - but this is just about the game as is. All the other points you raise I've already answered above (time vs need and cover) _ and I like the idea to combine farming with buying and in general taking part in various aspects of the game.

So back to the topic - and for the last time - help towards the balance as players - meaning match your furniture to the current prices of it's materials, leave kindness for gifting only. The other outcomes (mainly new players will feel) - can only be set by zos, and that is their choice entirely. Ultimately they have the best view of things about all this than any of us. I merely speak as a player tired of this lack of balance. As for the terms I used - I will let you figure for yourself what type of behaviour they describe - not raise in prices.

Also I never once complained about the rate at which things are being acquired. On the contrary I underlined "work for it if you wish it" tendency. So for anyone inclined to stick with two words and exclude them from their context - I would like to kindly ask you to .. skip this thread. If you wish to take part in the discussion read all that is being said, then answer (and if possible - ponder before doing so).
    Edited by Erissime on October 28, 2020 4:48PM
  • Scion_of_Yggdrasil
    Scion_of_Yggdrasil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There have been several similar posts that revolve around better ways to acquire furnishing materials:

1) Add furnishing writs
    2) Add furnishing surveys
    3) Increase node drop rates

Unfortunately, selfish players, bot users, and white knights are all too desperate to keep things in their current, unfavorable state. Some people just want to watch Tamriel burn.

ESO, even on console, has a major bot problem. Does anyone honestly think players are genuinely that generous and selling psijic ambrosia at prices so low its COSTING the crafter gold, instead of making a profit? Its not just the one-off ambrosia for sale at a discount either, I'm talking stacks of 50+ selling at or below 1000G per unit. Perfect roe (required for recipe) averages 8K for just one (lowest price I've seen is 6K, highest 20K). Without even considering the other mats required (fairly cheap anyways/easily acquired) you would need to sell each potion at 2K just to break even. Bots much? I have filleted countless stacks of fish over a week, only to get ONE perfect roe.

But please, do go on about how players can remedy this issue by spending even more time farming materials (reminder, we already spend gross amounts of time doing so). Do some actual math, or any kind of research for that matter. Or maybe practice what you preach and then tell us how successful you were and if you still love this game after. Spending more time or selling more things is not a solution. Quit pretending. Nobody is asking for freebies, we are asking for reasonable drop rates, or better methods to acquire some of the most sought after materials, without having to sell a kidney or spend weeks mindlessly repeating the same boring process (fish/filet, run/harvest node).

Mind you, I quite enjoy going on my usual mat runs. The issue is the amount of time I/we players spend gathering mats is not fairly compensated when it comes to the drop chance of furnishing materials, especially when considering how many of those materials are required to craft just one furnishing.

Its not like the only concern is RNG either, many of us have asked for the simple ability to filet fish in bulk at a provisioning station, like refining materials at crafting stations. Literally anything to make crafting in this game more enjoyable/efficient, and less of a disrespectful time suck would be a welcomed QOL improvement.

There is a difference between actual replay value, and forced replay.... ESO relies way too heavily on forcing its players to spend obscene amounts of time on simple things. As it stands, the current situation allows bots to thrive, and makes it difficult for real players to compete. Bots would continue to be an issue regardless, but any change would help real players stand a chance.
  • Erissime
    Erissime
    ✭✭✭
    Quite true, and thank you for bringing forth even more of the unbalanced issues bothering the trade. But just to give an idea of the way this influences the game - farming, pleasant as it is, in this current state becomes a full time job. If one wishes to acquire everything (one wishes, not everything out there!) just this way, one simply can no longer play the game.

It is a nice combination ( considering the drop rate vs the amounts required to craft) with the trading side - and it allows both ( farming as well as trading) - to thrive. But when the discrepancy reaches the limits we are trying to underline in here- something must be done. What I wrote above are my 2 cents of solutions I can think of from my current position and based on own observation - but every experience/idea/sharing - is welcome. All I hope for with this thread is not to cause discord among players ( as some - especially the trading passionates - already feel insulted) - but to actually appeal to what is meant to be a community for a change in the better.

As for my use of strong words ... well would any of you actually pay attention and contribute if a little incentive is not provided ;) ?
    Edited by Erissime on October 29, 2020 12:11AM
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would assume furnishings are priced low because they do not sell well.

Personally investing my own mats into furnishings for sale is not something I would ever do. That is an investment up front that might not be realized until much later, and might have to be priced less than intended just to get anything back at all.

If a player needs furnishings they can always join a guild where there are usually plenty of players willing to craft furnishings for them for free if they provide mats.
    Edited by katanagirl1 on October 29, 2020 5:23AM
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Erissime
    Erissime
    ✭✭✭
    I think they could sell well enough if their prices were balanced. But when there is such a discrepancy between them, and while I admire the actual traders selling mats silently agreeing with each other and capable of changing the market on that point due to that union - the furniture crafters remain into a sort of dolce-far niente on their lot, and one can find the same item for 10k as well as for 1k - because the majority seem to have enough resources gathered/acquired of old and afraid of what you just said ( furniture is not selling so well) to run for an immediate profit - which they gain (lower price -fast profit). But this not only creates the discrepancy I speak of - it makes it impossible for the union between market/harvest for own needs ( not even sell) to co-exist.

In the meantime, I heard plenty of players interested in buying rather than crafting furniture, so why would it not sell well - if given the chance? - the reason sales are so low is because there is no union of prices, and any attempt of doing so results in lack of sales.

Now come to my point of completing one's own harvest with the offers from trade - time is solved in that manner, but when one ends up spending full fortunes on materials with no possibility to regain it back unless selling other things equally pricey - thus crippling other aspects of the game ( lower armours, less capacity to stand in other aspects of the game) - while barely able to craft for the self, with zero possibly of selling any surplus ( what surplus ? ) - how is that not disruptive of the intended flow?

So bottom line - why can the traders be silently united in their endeavours but crafters no?

(to what it will lead ? - said "end game content" becoming a reality - and this is where the selfishness applies - also for something which ultimately is perfectly useless to the game itself, being that it is meant to enhance its beauty, only - I wrote enough - and only zos can solve that also as stated above).

So I will conclude this thread with one last appeal to the furniture crafters - materials have raised since last year almost 100 times in price. Think alike for your products and raise your prices by at least 10 times to keep it alive - and be united .

Thank you.

Edited by Erissime on October 29, 2020 11:00AM
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    New players don’t have gold to buy furnishing mats or furnishings themselves, but farming is free and only takes time. Same for furnishing plans, you can farm and learn the ones you need and sell the rest to buy more.

I have done that and accumulated enough gold to buy mats and plans outright but I still farm all my own mats and farm furnishing plans every day. It doesn’t take that much time if you set aside some time for it.

Agreed: new/casual players can decorate an inn appartment with a little farming effort. Housing only approaches end-game when we're talking about the furnishing of big houses with items that need recipes/vouchers/rarer style stones, or are from the luxury vendor. As for furnishing mat prices, they went sky high with the release of the Antiquarian's gallery, because there was a lot of demand, and there is little supply, given that they require traditional farming, and do not drop from surveys. I think a good solution to this would be if ZOS had furnishing mats dropping from surveys, so that for eg., when someone went to pick up a woodworking survey, they'd also get a small amount of heartwood, etc.
  • xilfxlegion
    xilfxlegion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if new players want shiny things they need to grind for it like everyone else.

there is always a spike in pricing of something every update.

as far as prices of crafted furniture not raising with the parts that make them - welcome to crafting. at one point we all thought we were going to make a ton of money crafting armor sets -- how did that work out ?

everything in this game is a grind and new players are already spoiled compared to day one players. they dont need any more special treatment.

• JHartEllis
    JHartEllis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a misconception that just because something drops, it is thereby farmable and responsive to demand shifts. Furnishing mats are presently a BYPRODUCT of harvest node farming. This is similar to how Vile Coagulant, prior to the Lost Treasures event, was a BYPRODUCT of doing Harrowstorms--it was an awful situation. Just because they drop doesn't mean they are worth farming even if prices shoot up multiple-fold.

I've long requested that furnishing mats should have additional sourcing so that supply can directly respond to demand. Material satchels purchasable with AP, Tel Var, Writ Vouchers, Undaunted Keys, or Transmute Crystals would do this efficiently. There would be a lot of creative options as well.

This is really choking the housing community and keeping it unnecessarily inaccessible.
    Guild leader of Spicy Economics and Spicy Life on PC/NA
    ESO Stream Team Partner on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/jhartellis
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/JHartEllis
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/JHartEllis
  • rnklippel
    rnklippel
    ✭✭✭
    Erissime wrote: »
    You probably did not read well what I said - you want to grow the prices in furniture mats? good - do so - but this growth is happening in over half a year now - while the actual furniture market remains untouched (...)

I believe one of the reasons furniture are cheap in comparison with how much it costs to craft them is because, unlike other crafted items that are consumed or get bound to your account, furniture pieces can be resold infinitely. I can buy something now, use it in my house for months and then sell later. So, unless players destroy them, there's an ever increasing number of furniture available in the game.

• katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jaimeh wrote: »

Agreed: new/casual players can decorate an inn appartment with a little farming effort. Housing only approaches end-game when we're talking about the furnishing of big houses with items that need recipes/vouchers/rarer style stones, or are from the luxury vendor. As for furnishing mat prices, they went sky high with the release of the Antiquarian's gallery, because there was a lot of demand, and there is little supply, given that they require traditional farming, and do not drop from surveys. I think a good solution to this would be if ZOS had furnishing mats dropping from surveys, so that for eg., when someone went to pick up a woodworking survey, they'd also get a small amount of heartwood, etc.

Yet I have 5 notable houses that I am furnishing now and I am still not buying mats. I farmed while I bought a small house and a few furnishing plans and worked my way up. Never bought mats except those that drop from dlc dungeons that I need for master writs when I don’t get them in anniversary reward boxes.

There is no conspiracy of pricing, it is supply and demand. If people don’t want to buy mats at the current price they will farm themselves.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JHartEllis wrote: »
    There's a misconception that just because something drops, it is thereby farmable and responsive to demand shifts. Furnishing mats are presently a BYPRODUCT of harvest node farming. This is similar to how Vile Coagulant, prior to the Lost Treasures event, was a BYPRODUCT of doing Harrowstorms--it was an awful situation. Just because they drop doesn't mean they are worth farming even if prices shoot up multiple-fold.

I've long requested that furnishing mats should have additional sourcing so that supply can directly respond to demand. Material satchels purchasable with AP, Tel Var, Writ Vouchers, Undaunted Keys, or Transmute Crystals would do this efficiently. There would be a lot of creative options as well.

This is really choking the housing community and keeping it unnecessarily inaccessible.

Those are good points and I think that at least basic furnitures should be much cheaper to craft, or additional sources of furnishing materials would be a good solution, I agree.
    rnklippel wrote: »
    You probably did not read well what I said - you want to grow the prices in furniture mats? good - do so - but this growth is happening in over half a year now - while the actual furniture market remains untouched (...)

I believe one of the reasons furniture are cheap in comparison with how much it costs to craft them is because, unlike other crafted items that are consumed or get bound to your account, furniture pieces can be resold infinitely. I can buy something now, use it in my house for months and then sell later. So, unless players destroy them, there's an ever increasing number of furniture available in the game.

That’s a good point, and they can’t be deconstructed for mats and take up inventory when not in use. If I no longer want a furnishing item, I may try to recoup my costs if I recall what it was, or I may sell a bit below what the market price appears to me to be so that I gain something while getting it off my hands.
    Edited by Araneae6537 on October 13, 2021 9:37AM
  • Erissime
    Erissime
    ✭✭✭
    rnklippel wrote: »

Quite true and it never occurred to me that particular point - because I consider once an item is set - is there "for life". But in regards to that - perhaps a better option would be for the furniture to be deconstructed - just like armours - when the need of it ceases to exist - and allow a small chance for drop of its materials in return - I mean the system is there - why not apply it and to other items than just armours? ( since it is all craft).

Also - in here may come in as cross the fact that not all furniture is crafted, and allowing deconstructions on all will be unfair - but I believe the new system upcoming for armours - also non craftable - can be applied, as well as options such as " this item cannot be deconstructed" such as we have for certain jewellery pieces - can be used in order to maintain the balance. (in here I can only think store exclusive statues, luxury vendor items, achievement and simple furnishings available for gold only - as those can easily become an exploit).

Another reason this may be worthwhile of a thought - are the antiquities. Now they are new - and everybody wants them - but in time they will flood players inventories in excess with no possibility what so ever of being ridden of other than destroying them. Quite a pity I believe - and being their affordable position, should be given a category in crafts by which they could be deconstructed ( and in here I can only think the armours in dungeons and trials or simple land sets as a parallel to be followed - we can't craft those, but we earn them, and can deconstruct them all the same).
    Edited by Erissime on October 30, 2020 12:51PM
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I agree that crafted furniture deconstruction (and the chance of getting furnishing mats and improvement mats back) would be a great help for bank/storage space.

I think antiquities would be better if you could sell them and get some gold from an NPC vendor if you have too many of them already (like Snow Prince thrones).
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Andromea
    Andromea
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that crafted furniture deconstruction (and the chance of getting furnishing mats and improvement mats back) would be a great help for bank/storage space.

I think antiquities would be better if you could sell them and get some gold from an NPC vendor if you have too many of them already (like Snow Prince thrones).

Isn't the storage problem the main reason why furniture prices are relatively low ? I don't craft furniture to make profit but to decorate. Before finding the right combination for my house I may try several things and in the end…. well there are leftovers. The bank space is limited, so I sell some and frankly, I don't care that much if I make any profit out of it (bank space being valuable in itself).

Back to the mats prices - no need to look for a silent or secret plot. The demand is very high compared to the low drop rates. I don't even want to start to calculate how many mundane runes I might need to decorate a 600 slots house. Of course, I could farm them even though as pointed out, they're basically a byproduct. But it takes time. And there are other aspects of interest in this game besides harvesting. And not everybody can play 16 hours per day. That is the reason why I buy a lot of those mats. It takes less time to make the money even with the high prices and I can do something else.

So yes, I am favorable to an increase in the drop rates or in adding new ways to get at least mundane runes, heartwood and decorative wax. Writs, daily quests, deconstruction of furniture, what ever. More mats on the market, prices will automatically go down. We'll have a more accessible (and I even hope a more creative, since it wouldn't cost a kidney any more to try a new idea) housing in the end.
  • Erissime
    Erissime
    ✭✭✭
    Hm .... I don't know who brought in the idea of " secret plot" but that's definitely not the case - neither have I ever even suggested it. Things are simple and plain - no secrets about it really - some players are united, and some other players not. So please refrain to read behind words or interpret what is being written as something else - cause this is not helpful of any conversation. It is merely a situation of union - with the above mentioned discrepancies and potential outcomes - nothing more.

Also I don't believe antiquities should be sold. There is enough speculation on rarities on the market as it is, adding antiquities to it will only make things worse - and rip the beauty out of it. As is, every lead and item - even if repeated - remains a joy and retains still a feel of uniqueness about it ( even if there are 20 items of the same piece) - with an opening towards trade this will be lost - totally a no go.

As for inventory space - yes that is a problem also, but usually the housing inveterate will buy another house to test various builds and settings, which will automatically release inventory/bank space. Sure it is a problem - but one to be foreseen - and space will always be a "problem" anyway.
    Edited by Erissime on November 2, 2020 11:03AM
  • Erissime
    Erissime
    ✭✭✭
    Well, one can only be thankful for the changes felt indeed in the drop rate of furniture materials, in particular mundane rune. Unfortunately though, the more furniture items zos provides the greater the demand of these materials is - and the former drop rate simply does not cover it enough. The decorative wax and heartwood remain a painful search, and the levels of exploit guild stores constantly push on them (on their own right at that - supply/demand etc etc) makes one stop decorating altogether. As an average player I simply can't afford buying all the time, or farming all the time, and at this pace it would take me at least a year to decorate a house like stillwater retreat or any other things of any considerable size. Hence I'm having issues decorating the simple water's edge - but maybe I Just like to craft my furniture a bit too much. Fact remains - the demand for these materials has increased considerably over the years, but their drop rate rate hasn't. Since the mundane runes could be improved, why can't these other ones? Don't you worry - they are still rare (at the current needs of crafting) - but at least it is not as frustrating to acquire them and consider crafting for others too. Right now I sit on more than half of the furniture recipes existing in game , and as a crafter I can't even afford making them for myself.

It would be nice to feel more of these silent changes in these above mentioned materials - they are noticed and people are grateful - it makes things balanced again. Thank you.
    Edited by Erissime on October 12, 2021 8:52AM
  • SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The drop rate on heartwood is abysmal-- I've been doing a lot of farming in Blackwood because of the event, and for a while I was finding so few that I was seriously wondering if someone was being trolly by grabbing only the heartwood from nodes. Then it happened over and over and over. Unless someone has been in Blackwood doing this literally 24/7, the drop rate is ungodly low. I'd say that I find heartwood maybe 5% of the time when I harvest wood nodes... I've been purchasing it from guild traders, but the prices are getting ridiculous.
  • maximusrex45
    maximusrex45
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mats are too rare vs amount needed to craft an item. This is exacerbated by the fact the only way to procure many of the mats are direct harvest of normal nodes. Surveys, processing, and hirelings should also provide furnishing mats, and honestly we should be able to trade other crafting mats for furnishing mats at a vendor. I have tens of thousands of near worthless wood, yet I struggle to make a wooden table.

Some items should also have their costs looked out. Most everything that takes flour requires 20, which it is my understanding you used to be able to buy it, now it is a hard to find loot able item, and you get 1-2 at most. There is a pot with wooden handles that takes an obscene amount of heartwood compared to what even a bench or table takes.