The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Do I need to buy another computer?

Red_Feather
Red_Feather
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I bought this computer just after eso came out and it met the system requirements. [fx8350, 8gb, r9 270x 2gb] But nowadays it feels so lacking for the game.

Last week I just got a new gpu, an rt5500xt, but when I am in solitude my fps is so low it is bumming me out. I read that is is my cpu [fx8350]. But when I look at new cpus it requires buying a whole new type of motherboard, and that means a whole new computer right after I bought a new gpu.

I don't know what to do. Do I save up for a new computer now?
Edited by ZOS_Adrikoth on October 27, 2020 2:15PM
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone has always said that ESO is CPU bottlenecked more than GPU.
    Allthough that 2 GB vid card is probably too old.

My gaming laptop can no longer run the game with its 2 GB vid card.

So yes I would start saving for a new computer if I were you.
    Especially if the one you have met the minimum when the game came out.
    Edited by Katahdin on October 26, 2020 1:40AM
    Beta tester November 2013
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Katahdin wrote: »
    It died and that is why I got the 5500xt.
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Red_Feather You might need to build a new PC. Its tough to say. I generally upgrade PC's every couple years. I understand that I am fortunate in this regard, but I don't have many lag/performance issues in game with things maxed out. I do have issues with the game just crashing to desktop, or weird buggy things that seem to plague this game, but overall performance is not one of them.

That being said. I don't do trials or pvp (in my opinion ESO pvp is the worst I have ever come across, its not worth the effort), but I have run dolmens when there were 4 full groups running and I never had any issues.

I run an i9 9900k at 4.7 GHZ on all cores, with 32 ram at 2560x1440 and an RTX 2080. I also run a 1200 watt Seasonic power supply, do not go cheap on power supplies, its actually the most important component of any electronic device, especially computers. I know the gear I have is outside of the price range of most folks (like I said I know I am fortunate), but you want to get as fast as a processor as you can, and as much memory as you can. I would not run any less than 16g memory.
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I was playing ESO on a 10 yr old computer for a couple of years, but it was an original i7. It ran just fine except PVP (but that is a problem for everyone) and in the crowded cities, I played all the way through Aurion got to Elden Root and then my game crashed and had to turn down the graphics.

It will look a lot better on a new computer.
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I replace my potato about every 5 years. Current one is getting close, but still runs ESO just fine. Added ssd and had to replace gpu card which fried.

I'm lucky to have a good computer shop in town, I just walk in and tell them my budget (1K€) and requirements (can do my work, some casual video editing and run modern games few years in future, reliability more important than performance) and they deliver.

Edited by rpa on October 26, 2020 5:08AM
  • Sigma957
    Sigma957
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play all my games including eso on a 9 year old pc at near max settings just fine, very rare for eso to crash. The only things that are relative new ( about a year old) is a 750w power supply and a 1060 gtx 6gb video card and a 2tb hard drive. Sits on around 70fps but when there are a lot of players with effects going off it can drop to 25-30 fps ( pvp )) :smile:
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Narvuntien wrote: »
    I was playing ESO on a 10 yr old computer for a couple of years, but it was an original i7. It ran just fine except PVP (but that is a problem for everyone) and in the crowded cities, I played all the way through Aurion got to Elden Root and then my game crashed and had to turn down the graphics.

I too played ESO on one of the old i7, the one with the server motherboard.
    I say today quality is more important the replacing parts often, 15 years ago an 3 year old computer was hopelessly outdated today performance increase is much lower, so buy good stuff but not the very best as you pay premium for that.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Aznarb
    Aznarb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »

I too played ESO on one of the old i7, the one with the server motherboard.
    I say today quality is more important the replacing parts often, 15 years ago an 3 year old computer was hopelessly outdated today performance increase is much lower, so buy good stuff but not the very best as you pay premium for that.

Also most old mmorpg like ESO have trouble to run into recent technologie.
    I had having trouble too the 3-4 first month of playing with random 1FPS + 999ping for no reason.
    One day they release a patch that improve compatibility with new ryzen, never had any problem since and run in full everywhere, even pvp.

So, yeah, 0 reason to buy the every last component on the market for video game, half of the new thing are overkill and overpriced anyway.

If you change GC, be sur to have 4-6go and a mini of 16go ram. That will be enough for anything.
    GTX1060 are cheap these day and enough (that what I use) and when it's gonna be a bit limited later, I'll just buy another and made a SLI, cheaper than last GC and 100% efficient.
    [ PC EU ]

[ Khuram-dar ]
    [ Khajiit ]
    [ Templar - Healer ]
    [Crazy Gatherer & Compulsive Thief]

• davidtk
    davidtk
    ✭✭✭✭
    I play on fx6300 (yes my mobo support fx8350/70 but if you try it, you got cpu throttling :D ), 8gb ddr3 and gtx760 :D ...
    It's several years old and it will stay as it for many more years :D
    I don't never get ESO crash. Average fps is about 55fps... Only Solitude and Rimmen i have fps drops but i don't care, i playing ESO for fun :) My wife has same pc but has gtx1060 3gb.
    More than fps i lack of ping sometimes...
    Really sorry for my english
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i play on all settings to low, most options set to off, and sub-sampling quality to medium. Still, in task manager i see memory 60%, CPU 19%, GPU 52%. And this is only during character selection, GPU goes to 70% usage during fights. Nothing else opened in the background. i5 4670, 3.40 GHz, 4 CPUs, 8 GB RAM, GTX 750 Ti. And with this setup and settings i get around 50 fps in quiet places and 40 fps in heavy fights.

is eso really bad at performance and resource consuming? or do i have another problem? if i would have to do an upgrade, what should it be?
    -PC EU- / battlegrounds on my youtube
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The early i7s were amazing workhorses. I'm still running the game on an i7 920.
  • Mancombe_Nosehair
    Mancombe_Nosehair
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's considerably better than my performance. I usually get 17 to 22 fps whilst in the cities or in the wild, and anything down to about 4fps in heavy fights.

It rules out Cyrodil, and trials, but I am not a fan of them anyway.
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought this computer just after eso came out and it met the system requirements. [fx8350, 8gb, r9 270x 2gb] But nowadays it feels so lacking for the game.

Last week I just got a new gpu, an rt5500xt, but when I am in solitude my fps is so low it is bumming me out. I read that is is my cpu [fx8350]. But when I look at new cpus it requires buying a whole new type of motherboard, and that means a whole new computer right after I bought a new gpu.

I don't know what to do. Do I save up for a new computer now?

I just upgraded my cpu to a ryzon 5 and I saw major improvements over my old cpu (it was an older amd) I'm sitting at 90fps average 50 in pvp. On a mix of high and ultra settings.
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    check your FPS. (just type /fps in chat)

that should tell you a lot

:#
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I might be totally off here but maybe your computer has a onboard graphics card which the game may be using by default?

I would definitely check your computer/game settings.

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The FX8350 is old - it's also 8 cores and unless you fiddle with magic config files the game only uses half of them. I don't know if playing with the config file in question would help - I assume it's set to a 4 CPU limit by the game authors for a reason.

Two things I'd try

1. Look on the Windows CPU meter and see if the 4 CPUs are all fully loaded (100%)
    2. Turn down the graphics detail a lot and then add things back

The first will give you a clue if the CPU is the bottleneck, the second may help you find a balance between playability and visuals that keeps you going whilst you save up. Some things like the water effects and shadows can be quite expensive. Unfortunately to get sane repeatable frame rates in testing you'll need to quit/restart the game when you do a bunch of changes to the video settings. In theory you can just change them in game but the results are not consistent with what happens next restart.

Unless you want latest or greatest I'd also look for a decent second hand machine. Gaming PCs are like cars - they halve in value the moment they leave the store. Last years 'elite' gaming PC is this years 'good', last years 'good' is this years 'hohum' to the hardcore gamers who will spend lots and keep upgrading and selling on.

You should be able to use your new GPU in the machine you upgrade to - so you could look for a cheap second hand Ryzen or modernish second hand Intel i5 system or board and stick your GPU in it.

To put it into perspective - on general benchmarks the cheapest low end, original release Ryzen 5 CPU systems are about *twice* the CPU performance of your FX8350.
    Too many toons not enough time
  • KappaKid83
    KappaKid83
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CPU over GPU for ESO. The issue was always that ESO was unable to run on multiple cores in the CPU. They are changing(have changed?) that now and it should be better as far as being able to run on 4 cores. There is still a lot of work to do on multi core compatibility but it is getting better.

The new technology out, new GPUs and CPUs that just came out, are both less expensive than previous high end stuff and A LOT better on the performance end. I would start over if you can afford to build new but if you can't start CPU/SSD and move from there when you can.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Much depends on how you buy new computers. If you buy off the shelf from one of the main manufacturers it's different, your hands are much more tied, but if you get a local computer repair shop to build one for you then (a) they can tailor it to gaming including a decent case with extra fans, and (b) you can get them to use your recently bought graphics card if it's considered good enough. With that option you could also try extra memory in your existing machine as that might improve things while again being able to utilise it in a new machine if you end up getting one built.
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could get the other parts and self assemble, it's not too bad to do or you could get a barebones bundle computer that just has the basics and add your new GPU to it.
  • DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Katahdin wrote: »
    Everyone has always said that ESO is CPU bottlenecked more than GPU.

My gaming laptop can no longer run the game with its 2 GB vid card.

So yes I would start saving for a new computer if I were you.
    Especially if the one you have met the minimum when the game came out.

Oh it definitely is bottlenecked by the CPU...

Though even that does matter. I"m running an i9 10900 with a 2080 Super and 32 GB RAM and I can't maintain over 60 fps half the time at 1440. I should be able to run this at 4k 60 fps steady.