The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

NoCP PvP Magplar - Stuhns v War Maiden

MurderMostFoul
MurderMostFoul
✭✭✭✭✭
With double XP, I just got my magplar leveled. Im running buffer of the Swift body, Stuhns front, Masters destro back, engine guardian, light armor 5-1-1. I went with Stuhns because I could craft it easily, and obviously magplar has easy access to off balance.

My question is, would it be better to run war maiden front bar on my magplar? All of my damage on my front bar is Magic, so no issue there. War maiden has the benefit of being up 100% of the time on my front bar without any reliance on off balance like Stuhns. And I already have some pen on the build from light armor passives. I'm also trying to make sure I have minor/major sorcery up, further enhancing the value of the 600 spell damage from war maiden. But obviously stuhns is a lot of pen. And being crafted, it allows me to run 5-1-1 in optimal slots.

Any thoughts?
“There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • Grimlok_S
    Grimlok_S
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess it comes down to whether or not you're in light or heavy, and using Ele drain?

I had an idea to run a Nirn War Maiden 2h front bar to really jack up the Spell Dmg, I don't have all the traits in place so I can't really speak to it's effectiveness just yet.

But if light w/ Ele drain I'd guess you're close to overpenetrating rollerblades and squishier targets.
    Light Attack Hero

Class context
    Stamplar
    StamDK
    Stamsorc
    MagDK
    StamMAGStamden
    Magplar
    Stam NB
    Bomb NB
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grimlok_S wrote: »
    I guess it comes down to whether or not you're in light or heavy, and using Ele drain?

I had an idea to run a Nirn War Maiden 2h front bar to really jack up the Spell Dmg, I don't have all the traits in place so I can't really speak to it's effectiveness just yet.

But if light w/ Ele drain I'd guess you're close to overpenetrating rollerblades and squishier targets.

Yes light (light 5-1-1), no ele drain
    Edited by MurderMostFoul on October 25, 2020 4:37PM
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For no cp you should look into the “skill enhancing sets” like overwhelming surge...
    "Stendarr's mercy be upon you, for the vigil has none to spare."
  • techyeshic
    techyeshic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably should be proc sets ATM. And if doing Cyrodiil with lag; and you insist to continue a stat build, i hate having to rely on toppling charge for off balance where you can get desync from using it.
  • Grimlok_S
    Grimlok_S
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hows the sustain so far w/o ele drain? Mine is Light armor and a pig on mag.

Mine is actually BSW SnB backbar w/ maiden front, I should probably swap one of those out for sustain. Or just use a staff lol.
    Light Attack Hero

Class context
    Stamplar
    StamDK
    Stamsorc
    MagDK
    StamMAGStamden
    Magplar
    Stam NB
    Bomb NB
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    techyeshic wrote: »
    Probably should be proc sets ATM. And if doing Cyrodiil with lag; and you insist to continue a stat build, i hate having to rely on toppling charge for off balance where you can get desync from using it.

Mostly BGs, and I'm sticking to stat sets. I just got finished making warden health tank proc monster. I'm trying to keep all the cheese in that one container.
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine is actually BSW SnB backbar w/ maiden front, I should probably swap one of those out for sustain. Or just use a staff lol.

Was running this exact setup with the wild hunt ring and every monster set... great dmg, good heals, but still gets 2 pieces by Balougr Stambros... the only two effective ways to play a light armor magplar is using lots of speed + los, or hiding in a Zerg, and if you choose to los then you’re better off rolling a sorc or nb...
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Crimson/Syvarra. And no, its not a meme.

• MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭

BSW SnB is nice, but I only have masters destro at the moment. As far as sustain goes, I've not had any issues without access to magicka steal. I run sustained glyphs on my jewelry since I am using sugar skulls food. That and potions are enough to keep me going
  • Grimlok_S
    Grimlok_S
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UppGRAYxDD wrote: »

Was running this exact setup with the wild hunt ring and every monster set... great dmg, good heals, but still gets 2 pieces by Balougr Stambros... the only two effective ways to play a light armor magplar is using lots of speed + los, or hiding in a Zerg, and if you choose to los then you’re better off rolling a sorc or nb...

Yeah I forgot I was running wild hunt too! The self-snare on Jabs kills me, both mag and stam. Way easier to keep up on people with the movespeed.

Happy with any monster set yet? I had Grothdarr because it was already on the toon, and I guess gives me a chance to pop BSW.
    Light Attack Hero

Class context
    Stamplar
    StamDK
    Stamsorc
    MagDK
    StamMAGStamden
    Magplar
    Stam NB
    Bomb NB
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So yeah,

Stuhns or war maiden?
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    So yeah,

Stuhns or war maiden?

Id say with how tanky people usually are, you will get more value out of stuhns, but really both sets are fine.

Like others, and myself have said, if you want to play magplar to its full potential in no cp youll have to rock procsets.

One thing to note: War maiden doesnt affect the maximum damage of Purifying Light, while the penetration benefits both the damage build up and the actual explosion.

One of the only ways right now to make Backlash hit for somewhat decent dmg aganist most ppl is to stack pen to the high heavens and back, since the skill is being double mitigated.
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So yeah,

Stuhns or war maiden?

Warmaiden... stuhns is great, but still can have downtime.
  • UppGRAYxDD
    UppGRAYxDD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UppGRAYxDD wrote: »

Yeah I forgot I was running wild hunt too! The self-snare on Jabs kills me, both mag and stam. Way easier to keep up on people with the movespeed.

Happy with any monster set yet? I had Grothdarr because it was already on the toon, and I guess gives me a chance to pop BSW.

Pirate skeleton/malubeth/bloodspawn...go defensive imo
  • Rebiludo
    Rebiludo
    ✭✭✭

Please memember me, fire staff light attack or fire glyph proc BSW?
    Edited by Rebiludo on October 26, 2020 4:15PM
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Firstmep wrote: »
    So yeah,

Stuhns or war maiden?

Id say with how tanky people usually are, you will get more value out of stuhns, but really both sets are fine.

Like others, and myself have said, if you want to play magplar to its full potential in no cp youll have to rock procsets.

One thing to note: War maiden doesnt affect the maximum damage of Purifying Light, while the penetration benefits both the damage build up and the actual explosion.

One of the only ways right now to make Backlash hit for somewhat decent dmg aganist most ppl is to stack pen to the high heavens and back, since the skill is being double mitigated.

It'll help the damage build up by buffing your other skills dmg.

Penetration doesn't impact the final explosions dmg, only% modifiers like protection decrease explosions dmg. Resistance doesn't impact that at all as it's already applied to the damage they took to create the stored dmg.
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EtTuBrutus wrote: »
    So yeah,

Stuhns or war maiden?

Penetration doesn't impact the final explosions dmg, only% modifiers like protection decrease explosions dmg. Resistance doesn't impact that at all as it's already applied to the damage they took to create the stored dmg.

I'm fairly certain that, unless expressly stated otherwise, all sources of damage are subjected to mitigation. I don't think ZOS ever said the explosion from purifying light bypasses mitigation. It can't be blocked as far as I know, but your resistances should reduce the damage it does.
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So yeah,

Stuhns or war maiden?

I'm fairly certain that, unless expressly stated otherwise, all sources of damage are subjected to mitigation. I don't think ZOS ever said the explosion from purifying light bypasses mitigation. It can't be blocked as far as I know, but your resistances should reduce the damage it does.

They did say it when they redid the skill. They mentioned it bc it would be the only skill in the game that was only double mitigated. It being double mitigated was a bug fix and resulted im it being good till they nerfed it.
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So yeah,

Stuhns or war maiden?

They did say it when they redid the skill. They mentioned it bc it would be the only skill in the game that was only double mitigated. It being double mitigated was a bug fix and resulted im it being good till they nerfed it.

Wasn't that in reference to battle spirit damage reduction?

Edit:
    Yeah, all I can find is from 2.7.5 -

"The final damage dealt by this ability and its morphs can no longer critically strike, and is no longer reduced from Battle Spirit (note that the initial damage and maximum damage limit are both still reduced by 50% from Battle Spirit)."

Could have changed since then, idk.

Edited by MurderMostFoul on October 27, 2020 12:11AM