The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

GRAVE MARKERS FOR THE ONES WE LOST.

Lord_Etrigan
Lord_Etrigan
✭✭✭✭
Good Day @Chryseia, @ZOS_CullenLee, @ZOS_Adrikoth

Recently we have experienced a loss of a fellow gamer, comrade and friend to cancer. our friend was a huge supporter of ESO with multiple furnished homes and the go to for her extensive knowledge of ESO lore.

It is indeed a sad and and tragic loss of one so dedicated to life and the gaming community.

We as a guild have erected a shrine at the guild home and after some lengthy discussion come to the conclusion that to truly honor a fallen hero would be to place a custom tombstone marker or shrine with the loved ones details inscribed upon it.

This would serve not only as a reminder of the huge loss to family, friends and gaming community but also serve as a future reminder to all the new and next generation of gamers joining guilds of the comradeship and love that has brought us together by such an amazing game as ESO.

I cannot speak for others but if I could, I am sure you would find many voices within the community who would feel the same. After all isn't that what ESO is all about?

Kind Regards,
Lord Etrigan
Guild Master to the Order of Stolas

PS4 EU
Lord Etrigan (Former Emperor): PVE High Elf Sorcerer
Nyssa al Ghul: PVP Nightblade Wood Elf (Ganker)
Lady-Death : PVP High Elf Sorcerer (8 x Campaigns Former Empress and Grand Warlord) Retired:(
Achmed-Silence I keel you: PVP Dark Elf Nightblade (Suicide Bomber)
I'm with stupid: PVP Argonian Magic Temp (Group support and healer).

Guild:
The Order of Stolas (Founder and Guild Master)

Faction: Aldmeri Dominion

Her Royal Highness Queen Ayrenn Arana wants You for Dominion.
LONG LIVE THE QUEEN!!
  • Sephyr
    Sephyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'd definitely like the option to also write custom messages and names on tombstones and memorial markers! This would be a wonderful feature that could be used in a lot of situations, but notably the one the OP says! Being allowed to customize these things with text would open a lot of options that I'm sure many would like.
  • rrimöykk
    rrimöykk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find it creepy af.

Games for most persons are to escape real world and having fun together. I'd find it horrifying to see player's real in game nicks on gravestones.

Also it would get trolled a lot.

Also what about religions that don't use gravestones?

I vote as no.
  • Sephyr
    Sephyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    rrimöykk wrote: »
    I find it creepy af.

Games for most persons are to escape real world and having fun together. I'd find it horrifying to see player's real in game nicks on gravestones.

I vote as no.

A few things;
    • Victorian/Edwardian 'Mourning' jewelry used everything from hair from the departed, to even their baby teeth. Yet a gravestone in a housing instance that you probably won't have access to creeps you out?
    • Religions celebrate their dead differently and this would in no way impact you.
    • Housing has control over who can change what or who can enter. Trolling is pretty limited. The worst you can do is 'turn off' someone's lights.

Besides the fact that you're new here, I'll go easy on you. There's some notable memorials that developers have placed IN various places throughout Tamriel, including Cyrodiil. The most notable one is this one here; https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/532551/zos-hommage-to-james-dylan

Other games are noteworthy of having similar functions as well, ESO isn't all that different. WoW even made a memorial for Robin Williams. In SWTOR, people flocked to Alderaan to mourn the passing of Carrie Fisher. People mourn differently and it again in no way impacts you.
  • Lord_Etrigan
    Lord_Etrigan
    ✭✭✭✭
    I find it creepy af.

I vote as no.

Thank you and I value your opinion. I asked that these be available in furniture store to be used in Guild home and not randomly placed in Cyro or open world. It will be valuable for the guild members and friends visiting and having known the person would not be "creepy" as u put it.

As a point of interest, I am an atheist but does not mean I cannot look at a tombstone or shrine and not feel a sense of sadness or even happiness of fond memories when remembering the person.
    PS4 EU
    Lady-Death : PVP High Elf Sorcerer (8 x Campaigns Former Empress and Grand Warlord) Retired:(

Guild:

LONG LIVE THE QUEEN!!
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As a point of interest, I am an atheist but does not mean I cannot look at a tombstone or shrine and not feel a sense of sadness or even happiness of fond memories when remembering the person.

I get sad every time I visit Aswala's Remembrance.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some players feel creepy about this, and for others cultural and religious beliefs come into play. But more importantly, we don't know how the person being memorialized would feel about it. That is why I say no.
    Edited by SilverBride on October 22, 2020 6:46PM
    PCNA
  • rrimöykk
    rrimöykk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sephyr wrote: »
    I find it creepy af.

I vote as no.

A few things;
    • Victorian/Edwardian 'Mourning' jewelry used everything from hair from the departed, to even their baby teeth. Yet a gravestone in a housing instance that you probably won't have access to creeps you out?
    • Religions celebrate their dead differently and this would in no way impact you.
    • Housing has control over who can change what or who can enter. Trolling is pretty limited. The worst you can do is 'turn off' someone's lights.

Besides the fact that you're new here, I'll go easy on you. There's some notable memorials that developers have placed IN various places throughout Tamriel, including Cyrodiil. The most notable one is this one here; https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/532551/zos-hommage-to-james-dylan

Other games are noteworthy of having similar functions as well, ESO isn't all that different. WoW even made a memorial for Robin Williams. In SWTOR, people flocked to Alderaan to mourn the passing of Carrie Fisher. People mourn differently and it again in no way impacts you.

I'm well aware of the things companies have done to major characters in their games, however, they were made by the developers, not players themselves. I'm fine if devs want to pay their respects and add a special item for the lost ones. I'm not okay if a random person can buy an item with crowns for a lost one. That is wrong in my opinion.

And yes, you are correct it doesn't impact me, it impacts all of us. If they were to launch item like op mentions, it would be available to all, correct? Believe me people would troll eith those texts in their own house in behalf of friends or other guildies.

I'm sorry for op's loss and all but if it is made available to everyone, doesn't it lose its purpose? If it's made for significant players in the community, who gets to choose who is worthy? There are many who sadly have passed away and making a memorial to each of them? That'd be a full time job.

• rrimöykk
    rrimöykk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find it creepy af.

I vote as no.

Thank you and I value your opinion. I asked that these be available in furniture store to be used in Guild home and not randomly placed in Cyro or open world. It will be valuable for the guild members and friends visiting and having known the person would not be "creepy" as u put it.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Still making an item available in the crowns store feels wrong. You have to pay for an item to pay your respects? Just doesn't feel right.

Would be a better idea to have a certain place in Tamriel for the fallen ones where you could have a list of impactful players in a carved stone or something.

Hard subject.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I find it creepy af.

I vote as no.

I have been to some in-game memorials and Cyrodiil rides for PvP players who passed and were well respected in the gaming community.

No one mentioned their real names. Wouldn’t the tombstone show the gamertag name instead? Wouldn’t that be acceptable?
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Sephyr
    Sephyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nevermind, I'm not going to bother with that. Housing isn't a public instance at all, so it still stands that it affects no one but those allowed into the housing instance and the request is based on already in-game gravemarkers.
    Edited by Sephyr on October 23, 2020 5:52AM
  • Lord_Etrigan
    Lord_Etrigan
    ✭✭✭✭
    I find it creepy af.

I vote as no.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Still making an item available in the crowns store feels wrong. You have to pay for an item to pay your respects? Just doesn't feel right.

Would be a better idea to have a certain place in Tamriel for the fallen ones where you could have a list of impactful players in a carved stone or something.

Hard subject.

Thank you.

I was more suggesting the item to be available in house furniture and not on crown store. It can even be available to gift from the furniture store as some items are.

We had some members gift items they bought specifically in the furniture store to place at the shrine just as you would place something in real life at a memorial or grave site. for example a music box or a teddy bear.

My aim with the request was to allow the custom marker to be available in home for friends to be able to visit and pay respect. Placing it somewhere in Tamriel is not a bad idea but bear in mind that members visit guild homes allot due to avail craft station, weddings, initiation, memorials or guild meetings therefore having the custom marker there would allow for a more personal experience.

A place where one could sit and reflect away from people dropping AOE, dueling, or random spawning attacking npc.
    PS4 EU

Guild:

LONG LIVE THE QUEEN!!
  • giinoz2011rwb17_ESO
    Hi I put a post similar not realising this was up.

I had chat's with a GM that was a great insight back in 2014 sadly he like others in game have passed away.

This year one who loved fishing in game passed away for those that had come contact via chat pm's in game mail those win never be heard from again.

The same is true of family or friends in RL.

Some in guilds may even know the gamers next of kin.

The guild of the GM his partner took over the account and knowing a very missed person was no longer around the fact that honouring him and keeping his account alive keeps his memory alive I feel honours him a lot.

To pass on their knowledge and to help others benefits everyone is surely worth a memorial tribute in some way.

To loose that is bad enough but a memorial be it on a wall, a tower or even a page dedicated to them with their player Id's no identifying info as a mark of respect to memorialise them in this community..

Those that may have known their real names or the privilege to have known them even in passing it is a show of respect to us and those that follow.

Or should ZOS do a Sovngarde DLC have a wall for players there as well as Game lore hero's.

Sure there may be disrespectful trolls but they show no respectfulness and eventually that will catch up with them in game and in RL.

Attitude follows you and Karma is a [snip] that is unrelenting to dish out what has been served and will catch up sooner or later.

[Edited to remove Profanity]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on November 10, 2020 1:53PM
  • giinoz2011rwb17_ESO
    Sephyr wrote: »
    I find it creepy af.

I vote as no.

A few things;

I'm well aware of the things companies have done to major characters in their games, however, they were made by the developers, not players themselves. I'm fine if devs want to pay their respects and add a special item for the lost ones. I'm not okay if a random person can buy an item with crowns for a lost one. That is wrong in my opinion.

And yes, you are correct it doesn't impact me, it impacts all of us. If they were to launch item like op mentions, it would be available to all, correct? Believe me people would troll eith those texts in their own house in behalf of friends or other guildies.

I'm sorry for op's loss and all but if it is made available to everyone, doesn't it lose its purpose? If it's made for significant players in the community, who gets to choose who is worthy? There are many who sadly have passed away and making a memorial to each of them? That'd be a full time job.

Memorial markers could have the members id to be memorialised by the player that has either been awarded it as a reward, then it becomes personal and not as you have indicated for everyone. A memorial wall somewhere that one can go read the names and pay their respects when they desire to do so like in a memorial garden not all over the place.

Even have a set of tasks or challenges to pass through before you get to the place of remembrance should a dedicated place be made.

Placing a personal item or object of remembrance should be tasteful and be respectful of the one whom it is dedicated to.

And agreed not for everyone to have the same thing.

If you don't know the person or their history the memorial may have little or no meaning to you.

However as a sign of respect regardless of social, religious, or other background or upbringing you can reflect at the loss of a person and for those that knew them and that they are there to be remembered.

And in saying that I will endeavour to remember your thoughts and those of the other posts as well.

And for that I do thank all participants for allowing me to share your insights that I have read.
    Edited by giinoz2011rwb17_ESO on November 9, 2020 10:31AM
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    (...) a custom tombstone marker or shrine with the loved ones details inscribed upon it. (...)
    I'd rather have a single memorial/statue at every Alliance's capitals with an inscription to celebrate fallen comrades, but without details or any tags/names mentioned (meaning we're all equals).
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    (...) a custom tombstone marker or shrine with the loved ones details inscribed upon it. (...)
    I'd rather have a single memorial/statue at every Alliance's capitals with an inscription to celebrate fallen comrades, but without details or any tags/names mentioned (meaning we're all equals).

This is a very good idea. I also don't think they should put names because our game names are who we are and who others know us as when playing. Putting this information without knowing how the lost player would feel about it is an invasion of their privacy.
    PCNA
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have made memorial settings for fallen guild mates before, but they were eloquent and tactful, with the person's name cobbled in a respectful manner. But the idea of a generic, mass available tombstone with somebody's name on it seems tacky, in my opinion. Take the time to create a beautiful custom tribute, rather than some sort of "Here lies Bob08" item.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.