The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Need more variety in crafting Writs

SilverBride
SilverBride
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I seem to get the same handful of writs for every crafting station every day. It appears to be based on the crafting level of that character, at least in part, because my character who hasn't developed her crafts as far gets different ones. And when I put points into her crafts, her recipes change some.

The problem with this is that I am starting to run out of some mats, because the writs are only using the same mats every day, while other mats are building up and not being used. Why can't there be a variety of all the known recipes for these?
PCNA
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I seem to get the same handful of writs for every crafting station every day. It appears to be based on the crafting level of that character, at least in part, because my character who hasn't developed her crafts as far gets different ones. And when I put points into her crafts, her recipes change some.

The problem with this is that I am starting to run out of some mats, because the writs are only using the same mats every day, while other mats are building up and not being used. Why can't there be a variety of all the known recipes for these?

all of the writs, regardless of level, follow a 3 day cycle (with the exception of Alchemy, which is on an 8 day, though it may be shorter on lower levels).

Lists of all of them can be found at
    http://benevolentbowd.ca/games/esotu/esotu-alchemist-writs/ <--- for alchemy

Thanks to @BenevolentBowd for putting all of this together.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

all of the writs, regardless of level, follow a 3 day cycle (with the exception of Alchemy, which is on an 8 day, though it may be shorter on lower levels).

Lists of all of them can be found at
    http://benevolentbowd.ca/games/esotu/esotu-alchemist-writs/ <--- for alchemy

Thanks to @BenevolentBowd for putting all of this together.

Thx for the info.

Adding to this with respect to the OP, what we craft is always the highest tier that character can craft and the rewards are always in-line with the level of crafting involved. If you are running low on materials then harvest more or buy them from the store. Writs are very lucrative.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This may be how they do it, but it's not necessarily the best way. It would be nice if they chose from all the recipes you are able to make, not just the same top ones from here on out.
    PCNA
  • doomette
    doomette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This may be how they do it, but it's not necessarily the best way. It would be nice if they chose from all the recipes you are able to make, not just the same top ones from here on out.
    And make pre-crafting, one of ways writs are somewhat tolerable for those without access to add-ons that ease the process much more difficult (or at least take up muuuuuch more inventory space)? Nah.
    Think about it, if you know what you need because there’s a set pattern, then it is way easier to farm the ingredients you need, rather than just guessing. Look up the patterns, figure out what characters need what recipes and what mats, and farm those ingredients. Better that than upend a system that has been in place for years. Adapt.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    doomette wrote: »
    And make pre-crafting, one of ways writs are somewhat tolerable for those without access to add-ons that ease the process much more difficult (or at least take up muuuuuch more inventory space)? Nah.
    Think about it, if you know what you need because there’s a set pattern, then it is way easier to farm the ingredients you need, rather than just guessing. Look up the patterns, figure out what characters need what recipes and what mats, and farm those ingredients. Better that than upend a system that has been in place for years. Adapt.

I don’t think this is a very good reason to be against the OP’s idea, @doomette.

There’s a lot of inventory space being opened up in two (2) weeks with the new Update 28 Item Set Collection ... so that leaves room for extra pre-crafted stacks.

What you might view as “adapt” others might view as “resistance to change”.
  • doomette
    doomette
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t think this is a very good reason to be against the OP’s idea, @doomette.

There’s a lot of inventory space being opened up in two (2) weeks with the new Update 28 Item Set Collection ... so that leaves room for extra pre-crafted stacks.

What you might view as “adapt” others might view as “resistance to change”.

Inventory wasn’t the only reason I gave... Plus, while I love, looooove the idea of the new system coming out), that’s not going to solve every inventory issue ever, especially if you do writs on a character you still regularly play on.

Again, if there’s a set pattern, it’s easier to know what is needed.

Sure, I’m resistant to change that I think will be detrimental to more people than it will benefit. But just my opinion.

Edit: The inventory issue is actually worse than I realized when replying to you. That sticker system ain’t going to help the fact that in order to not waste supplies, I’d literally have to have nothing but food and drink in my main’s maxed out backpack. Or am I supposed to take up 250 slots in my bank just for food and drink? That’s not reasonable.
    Edited by doomette on October 21, 2020 3:24AM
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think about it, if you know what you need because there’s a set pattern, then it is way easier to farm the ingredients you need, rather than just guessing. Look up the patterns, figure out what characters need what recipes and what mats, and farm those ingredients.

I don't need to do this because I am ESO+, so all my mats are in my crafting bag and available to all my characters. I also don't ever just go out and farm. I just pick up all the mats I see as I am out doing other things, and I end up with a lot this way.

while I love, looooove the idea of the new system coming out), that’s not going to solve every inventory issue ever, especially if you do writs on a character you still regularly play on.

Again, if there’s a set pattern, it’s easier to know what is needed.

I am sorry that some people have a problem with inventory space. But is that a reason to make the rest of us do the same exact writs over and over and over day after day after day from here to eternity?

My characters know a lot of recipes, etc.. I don't see what it would hurt to just randomly choose some, or include more, in the rotation. It would break up the tedium and use our stored mats more uniformly.
    PCNA
  • doomette
    doomette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ll just have to disagree. Writs are tedious, adding recipe randomness isn’t going to fix that. In fact, I think it would make things more tedious because instead of being able to precraft a stack (or fewer if not doing a max level writ) of the food/drink I need and be done with provisioning in seconds, I’d have to make that individual recipe each time. And am I supposed to keep ahold of the 3 extra I make in case it randomly pops up again? Or do I delete it, and waste resources? So either I’m wasting inventory space because I know buttloads of recipes or I waste resources vendoring the extras. My main crafter knows almost all the green recipes. That’s a lot of wasted space or resources. If your idea was implemented, it would seriously screw over crafters who know loads of recipes.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

In reality, it seems the best way is to be able to mass-produce it ahead of time and have them take up less inventory space. I have not seen anything in this thread that suggests Zos using more of the recipes is better.
    Edited by idk on October 21, 2020 3:02AM
  • doomette
    doomette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just looked it up, if I were to hold on to all the food/drink extras I make (since I have the passive to make 3 extras), that’s literally more space than a maxed out inventory (including both inventory pets) can hold (assuming we’re just taking green recipes). So that would be vendoring stuff and wasting resources.
    Maybe your idea seems reasonable for newer crafters who don’t know as many recipes, but it would severely punish those who have been playing/crafting for longer and have accrued more recipes. That doesn’t seem worth it, just to break up the tedium....
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just looked it up, if I were to hold on to all the food/drink extras I make (since I have the passive to make 3 extras), that’s literally more space than a maxed out inventory (including both inventory pets) can hold (assuming we’re just taking green recipes). So that would be vendoring stuff and wasting resources.
    Maybe your idea seems reasonable for newer crafters who don’t know as many recipes, but it would severely punish those who have been playing/crafting for longer and have accrued more recipes. That doesn’t seem worth it, just to break up the tedium....

It is not more reasonable for newer crafters as all the writs use greens that can be purchased from the appropriate vendor. In other words, the current design is very good for newer players.
  • doomette
    doomette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

It is not more reasonable for newer crafters as all the writs use greens that can be purchased from the appropriate vendor. In other words, the current design is very good for newer players.

True, but there are green recipes that aren’t used in writs, so aren’t sold by vendors. Newer players might not have had the time to collect those. Either way, the thought of needing to find 250+ spaces somewhere as to not be completely wasteful of my resource mats, ugh, the horror.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know how this turned into a discussion on inventory space, but that is not what this thread is about. It's about using all the recipes we gained as we leveled our crafts, rather than just the same few over and over forever.

Many of us pay a monthly subscription for the crafting bag, and other perks. We should be able to use these perks to their fullest, and being able to use our crafting mats more uniformly would be very helpful.
    PCNA
  • doomette
    doomette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know how this turned into a discussion on inventory space, but that is not what this thread is about. It's about using all the recipes we gained as we leveled our crafts, rather than just the same few over and over forever.

Many of us pay a monthly subscription for the crafting bag, and other perks. We should be able to use these perks to their fullest, and being able to use our crafting mats more uniformly would be very helpful.

Okay, I understand that, but your suggestion would be very punishing to people who have a well-developed crafter. How do you propose to solve the inventory/resource waste issue this would cause? It might not have been your intent for this to turn into an inventory space issue, but you’ve got to think through the implications for everyone. That means people who know 250+ green recipes, and not just a handful.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, I understand that, but your suggestion would be very punishing to people who have a well-developed crafter. How do you propose to solve the inventory/resource waste issue this would cause? It might not have been your intent for this to turn into an inventory space issue, but you’ve got to think through the implications for everyone. That means people who know 250+ green recipes, and not just a handful.

I don't know how many recipes I know, but it's a lot. And I have a lot of crafting mats building up while others are dwindling, and they will continue to do so if they are the only mats I can use for writs.

Every day now I run out of quicksilver ingots and have to purchase them, while I have hundreds and thousands of the other ores. That is just one example.

I am not trying to punish anyone, but this is creating an issue for me, and others like me. They could at the very least add a few more recipes that use a few different mats. Or they could have the writ say something like "Make a Sword in either this ore, or this ore, or this ore." and give us a chance to use up some of our surplus, and conserve others.
    Edited by SilverBride on October 21, 2020 6:29AM
    PCNA
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know how many recipes I know, but it's a lot. And I have a lot of crafting mats building up while others are dwindling, and they will continue to do so if they are the only mats I can use for writs.

Every day now I run out of quicksilver ingots and have to purchase them, while I have hundreds and thousands of the other ores. That is just one example.

I am not trying to punish anyone, but this is creating an issue for me, and others like me. They could at the very least add a few more recipes that use a few different mats. Or they could have the writ say something like "Make a Sword in either this ore, or this ore, or this ore." and give us a chance to use up some of our surplus, and conserve others.

There is something you can already do, just change the number of skill points you have in that character to match what material you want to use.

You can make this change for yourself, without having to upend the entire writ system to satisfy your niche request.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is something you can already do, just change the number of skill points you have in that character to match what material you want to use.

You can make this change for yourself, without having to upend the entire writ system to satisfy your niche request.

I only craft Furnishings, except for writs, and put just enough points into my craft skills to meet the requirements for these items. So this is not an option.

I don't know why you consider this a niche request. I feel that a lot of players could benefit from it. And in reality, the whole crafting system is far from ideal, and could use some fresh ideas.
    PCNA
  • joerginger
    joerginger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is absolutely no benefit for anybody in this suggestion, but this would sure make a lot of crafters' lives a living hell. :(
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I explained in a very clear manner how it affects inventory space. I pointed out a very important negative aspect. We have yet to hear anything positive this suggestion would bring to the game. Being able to use more recipes is meaningless as we do not really pay attention to what is required anyhow as we just want to do the writ and get it over with.

I do like the last point made in what I quoted here. It basically suggests more pressure should be placed on those who do not subscribe.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    joerginger wrote: »
    There is absolutely no benefit for anybody in this suggestion, but this would sure make a lot of crafters' lives a living hell. :(

And this is what we have been saying.

One of the things Zos has said they look at when considering a change is what benefit it has for the game. This suggestion offers nothing beneficial to the game yet has a negative impact on our inventory.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I only craft Furnishings, except for writs, and put just enough points into my craft skills to meet the requirements for these items. So this is not an option.

I don't know why you consider this a niche request. I feel that a lot of players could benefit from it. And in reality, the whole crafting system is far from ideal, and could use some fresh ideas.

[snip] the whole thing be changed, require crafters to have to make a 10-fold (or more) increase in items to craft, reduce their inventory space, add more headaches finding and making the correct item (especially for those on Console)

How does anybody benefit from this, other than using "other" materials, [snip]

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on October 21, 2020 2:27PM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel that a lot of players could benefit from it.

We have yet to hear of how this change would actually benefit players or the game.
  • allhailskippy
    allhailskippy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a terrible suggestion.

Just go farm or buy more of the mats you need.
    Hireling Wanted! - An Elder Scrolls Tale https://hirelingwanted.com
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How is it beneficial to eat up all your profit from doing writs to just buy more mats to do more writs?

PCNA
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How is it beneficial to eat up all your profit from doing writs to just buy more mats to do more writs?

Because if you're doing writs at any level other than maximum, you are leaving profit on the table, regardless of the cost of the mats. The profit from writs isn't in the paltry ~640 gold you get from each one, it's in the gold improvement materials that drop, and those drop at the highest level at maximum level. (Surveys are consistent regardless of level)

Also, those lower level mats are so ridiculously cheap. I literally give them away a stack at a time when people ask for them in zone chat.
    Edited by tmbrinks on October 21, 2020 2:39PM
  • allhailskippy
    allhailskippy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    - Removed by user
    Edited by allhailskippy on October 21, 2020 5:37PM
    Hireling Wanted! - An Elder Scrolls Tale https://hirelingwanted.com
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The profit from writs isn't in the paltry ~640 gold you get from each one, it's in the gold improvement materials that drop, and those drop at the highest level at maximum level...

Also, those lower level mats are so ridiculously cheap.

That is a good point about the gold improvement mats, and the quicksilver I am always running out of is cheap. The problem is it's sometimes in short supply at the traders.

I guess I can increase my skill beyond what I need for the crafting I do, which will push me up to higher level ores, etc., and see how that works. Although eventually I'll just end up in the same boat again.
    PCNA
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

[snip] the whole thing be changed, require crafters to have to make a 10-fold (or more) increase in items to craft, reduce their inventory space, add more headaches finding and making the correct item (especially for those on Console)

[edited for baiting]

I mean, there's a certain threshold of how many stacks of pre-crafted materials you should actually be keeping, @tmbrinks, before you start worrying about ZOS changing the writ materials ... as implied by the OP's idea.

Other than that, I can't think of why you'd be opposed to the idea.

The increase in inventory slots is manageable on a few extra added writ quests ... even for players without ESO+. Players (including this player) are getting a ton of inventory slots back when the Markarth DLC drops on November 2.

Making the correct item is not an issue for experienced crafters. Mistakes are made by newbie crafters regardless of the variety of writs.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

[edited for baiting]

I mean, there's a certain threshold of how many stacks of pre-crafted materials you should actually be keeping, @tmbrinks, before you start worrying about ZOS changing the writ materials ... as implied by the OP's idea.

The increase in inventory slots is manageable on a few extra added writ quests ... even for players without ESO+. Players (including this player) are getting a ton of inventory slots back when the Markarth DLC drops on November 2.

Making the correct item is not an issue for experienced crafters. Mistakes are made by newbie crafters regardless of the variety of writs.

I read the original post as them wanting ALL possibilities of crafting level to be used in doing daily writs. So, if you were at 10/10 in Blacksmithing, you could be asked to make something in Iron, or Steel, or... or Rubedite, any of the 10 levels. This would ASTRONOMICALLY increase the amount of options people would have to make. It would make the "rotations" that much longer, more complicated, harder to keep track of.

Yes, those of us on PC would have add-ons do this automatically for us. But there is a large contingent of players (on both PC and Console especially) who pre-craft their daily writs, and they have established routines to make either 2 or 3 of those particular items at a time to do writs for 6 or 9 days. Now the cycle becomes 30 days long (assuming 3 at each level, as that's what they do for the others) and the ease of pre-crafting goes completely out the window, since you now need to remember where in the cycle each character is, because it's impossible to hold all those days at once for all of the crafts.

This would be a mild inconvenience for those that use add-ons and do their crafting daily (like I do), but it would be a HUGE change for those who pre-craft, who don't want to use add-ons, and especially for those on Console.

Forgive me for thinking about somebody other than myself. What was I thinking?
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

[edited for baiting]

I can think of one very valid reason. It does not offer anything that suggests the idea brings actual benefit to the game. Without that there is no reason for Zos to consider it.

This discussion has been closed.