The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

I have 2 Mother’s Sorrow staffs, but I don’t know which is better

OmenRIP
OmenRIP
✭✭✭
Hi,

I’ve obtained 2 Mother’s Sorrow staffs of these types:

(Purple) Argonian Muck Minder lightning;
3624 shock damage; increase weapon enchantment effect by 25% and reduces enchantment cool down by 50%

(Gold) Inferno Staff; 226 magic damage and restores 354 Magicka; increase chance to apply status effects by 220%

I’m wearing 7/5 Mother’s Sorrow items and 5/5 Necropotence items.

Both staffs seem very close in what I normally kill overland (regular and bosses), delves, and dungeons (the ones I can do LOL).

I’m a solo PVE-only magsorc dps running twilight matriarch (mainly for healing and mob distraction) and volatile familiar for tank and shock damage. I have 526 Crown Tri-Restoration Potions. I’m CP 343, but a relative noob to this game :)
Edited by OmenRIP on October 17, 2020 10:03PM
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Lightning Staff synergizes with a Pet Sorc setup a lot better than Inferno, @OmenRIP.
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    7/5 Mothers Sorrow is a waste. You get no benefit beyond 5/5. Drop two pieces of Mother's Sorrow and wear something else. Most people use a monster set for those 2 pieces, but just about anything will do. 2 pieces of Armor of the Trainee, 2 pieces of Willpower, etc.
  • OmenRIP
    OmenRIP
    ✭✭✭
    The Lightning Staff synergizes with a Pet Sorc setup a lot better than Inferno, @OmenRIP.

I think I understand, but why does the inferno staff go for so much more money? Is it the magicka return? Unfortunately I bought both before learning about their uses LOL.

• OmenRIP
    OmenRIP
    ✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »
    7/5 Mothers Sorrow is a waste. You get no benefit beyond 5/5. Drop two pieces of Mother's Sorrow and wear something else. Most people use a monster set for those 2 pieces, but just about anything will do. 2 pieces of Armor of the Trainee, 2 pieces of Willpower, etc.

Thanks for the tip. I’m getting 7/5 now (I think) because I’m using both staves. Main hand, main hand backup. I’m also at 50 with heavy armor, so I can use that too.

I’ve been trying to get better Necropotence (most of my stuff is green) but to no avail.
    Edited by OmenRIP on October 18, 2020 10:22AM
  • Sephyr
    Sephyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    OmenRIP wrote: »

I think I understand, but why does the inferno staff go for so much more money? Is it the magicka return? Unfortunately I bought both before learning about their uses LOL.

Not so much the magicka return as enchantments can be swapped out with other enchantments. What matters is the type of DPS you're doing. For instance Inferno Staves improves single target DPS and Lighting improves AoE damage for a very simplified answer.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Lightning Staff synergizes with a Pet Sorc setup a lot better than Inferno, OmenRIP.

As a general rule of thumb, Lightning Staff is better at AOE damage and Inferno Staff is better at single target.

For a lot of classes and content, they want the higher single target DPS on the boss, so inferno staves are more in demand.

But for pet sorcs with their bonuses to lightning and the content you are doing (overland, delves, dungeons), lightning will do great. I prefer lightning when I solo because of the AOE - it means I spend less time killing mobs and having the highest possible DPS on the boss just isn't needed.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As others have said
    Ignore the enchants you can change them.
    Traits are important but you can transmute to change em

With passives -
    Inferno is single target damage
    Lighting AOE

Lighting works well with pet sorc setups. Get your AOEs down and heavy attack away, weaving in the pet attacks. Simples.

Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Idinuse
    Idinuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

3624 shock damage; increase weapon enchantment effect by 25% and reduces enchantment cool down by 50%

(Gold) Inferno Staff; 226 magic damage and restores 354 Magicka; increase chance to apply status effects by 220%

Both staffs seem very close in what I normally kill overland (regular and bosses), delves, and dungeons (the ones I can do LOL).

I’m a solo PVE-only magsorc dps running twilight matriarch (mainly for healing and mob distraction) and volatile familiar for tank and shock damage. I have 526 Crown Tri-Restoration Potions. I’m CP 343, but a relative noob to this game :)

Congrats, that's the combo you want (with the exception for a Restro on backbar instead of Lightning in some PvP scenarios).

With the Destruction Staff passive "Ancient Knowledge" fully ranked, the Flame Staff increases your damage done with single target abilities by 8% and the Lightning Staff increases your damage done with area of effect abilities by 8% plus the added dmg bonus to lightning dmg from class passives. So use single target skills on the Inferno Staff bar (I have it on bar 1) and AoE skills on the Lightning Staff bar. Try to fit 5/5 MS, crits are key DPS in PvE content, plus self healing with Surge is crit chance dependent.
    Edited by Idinuse on October 18, 2020 3:24PM
    Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium dolorem que laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep them both until next patch so you can reconstruct them whenever.
  • Luke_Flamesword
    Luke_Flamesword
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the tip. I’m getting 7/5 now (I think) because I’m using both staves. Main hand, main hand backup. I’m also at 50 with heavy armor, so I can use that too.
    Nope, it counts only active bar so you have 2p bonus from stave and you have 5 elements of armor and jewelry, which is too many and you can change two pieces with something else.
    PC | EU | DC |Stam Dk Breton
  • OmenRIP
    OmenRIP
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, it counts only active bar so you have 2p bonus from stave and you have 5 elements of armor and jewelry, which is too many and you can change two pieces with something else.

Thanks for setting me straight. I said I was a noob to all this optimization 😂
    Edited by OmenRIP on October 18, 2020 3:33PM
  • OmenRIP
    OmenRIP
    ✭✭✭
    Idinuse wrote: »

Congrats, that's the combo you want (with the exception for a Restro on backbar instead of Lightning in some PvP scenarios).

With the Destruction Staff passive "Ancient Knowledge" fully ranked, the Flame Staff increases your damage done with single target abilities by 8% and the Lightning Staff increases your damage done with area of effect abilities by 8% plus the added dmg bonus to lightning dmg from class passives. So use single target skills on the Inferno Staff bara (I have it on bar 1) and AoE skills on the Lightning Staff bar. Try to fit 5/5 MS, crits are key DPS in PvE content, plus self healing with Surge is crit chance dependent.

Thanks for the detailed post! On my main bar I have the inferno staff and Daedric Prey. On my backup bar I have the Muck Minder shock and Blockade of Storms. On both bars I have Crystal Frags and Force Pulse. 2 slots on each bar taken for pets :(

I’m not familiar with Surge.
  • Luke_Flamesword
    Luke_Flamesword
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have 5 pieces of Mother’s Sorrow armor and 2 staffs. It definitely says 7/5.
    Beacuse this is 7/5 and you don't need that much :) If you stay with staves, you can replace two armor pieces - in other case you wasting slots.
    PC | EU | DC |Stam Dk Breton
  • OmenRIP
    OmenRIP
    ✭✭✭
    zvavi wrote: »

I’ll have to look into reconstruction; I know absolutely nothing about that 🙂
  • OmenRIP
    OmenRIP
    ✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »
    As others have said
    Ignore the enchants you can change them.
    Traits are important but you can transmute to change em

With passives -
    Inferno is single target damage
    Lighting AOE

Lighting works well with pet sorc setups. Get your AOEs down and heavy attack away, weaving in the pet attacks. Simples.

That sound like what I (try) to do. Lay down Blockade first than switch to heavy attacks. Maybe for me not so ‘simples’, still learning to be fluid on the bar switches since I’m on a ps4.
    Edited by OmenRIP on October 18, 2020 8:13PM
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    zvavi wrote: »

Based on the stated playstyle, I doubt OP has enough transmute crystals for that to be appropriate advice.
    Edited by FrancisCrawford on October 18, 2020 3:46PM
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

While part of the higher price is because inferno staves are more popular for many builds, I suspect much of the value difference you are seeing is because your inferno staff is gold whereas your lightning staff is purple.

PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Idinuse
    Idinuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭

With the Destruction Staff passive "Ancient Knowledge" fully ranked, the Flame Staff increases your damage done with single target abilities by 8% and the Lightning Staff increases your damage done with area of effect abilities by 8% plus the added dmg bonus to lightning dmg from class passives. So use single target skills on the Inferno Staff bara (I have it on bar 1) and AoE skills on the Lightning Staff bar. Try to fit 5/5 MS, crits are key DPS in PvE content, plus self healing with Surge is crit chance dependent.

Thanks for the detailed post! On my main bar I have the inferno staff and Daedric Prey. On my backup bar I have the Muck Minder shock and Blockade of Storms. On both bars I have Crystal Frags and Force Pulse. 2 slots on each bar taken for pets :(

I’m not familiar with Surge.

You want to use Surge, both for getting Major Sorcery (+20% Spell Damage for 33 seconds) and use the Critical Surge morph since it heals you for 3030 health with each critical hit you do once every second. https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Critical+Surge

If you are on NA hit me up and we can do some dungeons together and talk more about Sorcerer play.
    Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium dolorem que laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?
  • OmenRIP
    OmenRIP
    ✭✭✭

You want to use Surge, both for getting Major Sorcery (+20% Spell Damage for 33 seconds) and use the Critical Surge morph since it heals you for 3030 health with each critical hit you do once every second. https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Critical+Surge

If you are on NA hit me up and we can do some dungeons together and talk more about Sorcerer play.

Ah, now I understand about Surge. I used it after I got my destruction staff skill to 50 and decided to use a 2-handed sword to also raise my 2-handed skill to 50 😂. Since I had it on my backup bar with my sword, I needed to swap bars to use it with my staff. In all honestly, I didn’t notice any difference with or without it. Most probably because I use my winged twilight for all my healing (which has saved my butt dozens of times and keeps my volatile familiar alive too so I can constantly use his special).

It’s really a pain to switch bars with a PS4 controller. Half the time it doesn’t even register. I’m using the standard controller, so maybe that’s part of the problem. So I tend to keep most of the same setup on both bars so I hardly have to swap bars during a fight.

It’s very nice of you to offer to group with me and ‘show me the ropes’ (I’m also on NA). I’ve never grouped on eso so I’m sure I’d be very bad trying to complement your strengths. In addition, I can’t even imagine conversing with you when I have to use that stupid virtual keyboard (at least I assume I have to use it 😄).
    Edited by OmenRIP on October 18, 2020 10:45PM
  • OmenRIP
    OmenRIP
    ✭✭✭

Based on the stated playstyle, I doubt OP has enough transmute crystals for that to be appropriate advice.

After looking up transmute crystals, you’re right, I’ll never get any ☹️
  • Everest_Lionheart
    Everest_Lionheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭

While part of the higher price is because inferno staves are more popular for many builds, I suspect much of the value difference you are seeing is because your inferno staff is gold whereas your lightning staff is purple.

The lightIng staff he has you can get from a quest in Deshaan fairly easily. If you’ve got multiple toons you can get multiple staves. Farming for the inferno staff is quite hard. I’ve spent hours in the public dungeon there and got several extra lighting staves, plenty of resto staves and ice staves but not one inferno staff.

The rarity Is what really makes it expensive. All of the inferno staves have a low drop rate. It took me around 30 runs of maelstrom to get my inferno there, close to 60 in Arx for medusa, I’m closing in on 100 of CoA and no inferno staff. I did get FG and Siroria inferno staves on my first runs though so the crazy RNG balances out. I’ve got friends going on 2+ years in nCR and no staff yet, and friends with dozens on runs in nSS still trying to get that FG inferno as well. For what it’s worth also none of the inferno staves dropped in good traits and they all needed to be transmuted.

As for lightning vs inferno in game play. I run only inferno on my DK solo and groups. My magplar I run lightning solo and for some dungeons but inferno for others, depends on the amount of adds and quality of the group. I will often put my inferno for bosses though again depending on adds or need for extra sustain. My magplar always has the maelstrom lightning on backbar though. I like the off balance proc you can get with it.
  • Idinuse
    Idinuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah, now I understand about Surge. I used it after I got my destruction staff skill to 50 and decided to use a 2-handed sword to also raise my 2-handed skill to 50 😂. Since I had it on my backup bar with my sword, I needed to swap bars to use it with my staff. In all honestly, I didn’t notice any difference with or without it. Most probably because I use my winged twilight for all my healing (which has saved my butt dozens of times and keeps my volatile familiar alive too so I can constantly use his special).

It’s really a pain to switch bars with a PS4 controller. Half the time it doesn’t even register. I’m using the standard controller, so maybe that’s part of the problem. So I tend to keep most of the same setup on both bars so I hardly have to swap bars during a fight.

It’s very nice of you to offer to group with me and ‘show me the ropes’ (I’m also on NA). I’ve never grouped on eso so I’m sure I’d be very bad trying to complement your strengths. In addition, I can’t even imagine conversing with you when I have to use that stupid virtual keyboard (at least I assume I have to use it 😄).

Oh that virtual keyboard... I'm on PC D=.
    But! Surge is a fire and forget buff skill. It's buff lasts for 33 seconds. Also, leveling weapon lines I get it, but since all your sets and weapons mentioned here suggest you're aiming for a magicka build, you'll want that Surge Major Sorcery anyway. GL! ^^/
  • OmenRIP
    OmenRIP
    ✭✭✭

But! Surge is a fire and forget buff skill. It's buff lasts for 33 seconds. Also, leveling weapon lines I get it, but since all your sets and weapons mentioned here suggest you're aiming for a magicka build, you'll want that Surge Major Sorcery anyway. GL! ^^/

😂 This is the first MMORPG that I’ve ever played on a console. Sitting on the couch in front of a 60”screen is very nice, but it also leaves much to be desired in a player interactive game like this.

Yes I am a magsorc, but when I saw this player slicing and dicing with 2 blades, it made me a little envious 🙂

I’m going to work Surge into my rotation. Maybe since I’m a little higher than level 50 it’ll make quite a bit more difference.

Thanks again for the advice!
    Edited by OmenRIP on October 19, 2020 9:30AM
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Everest_Lionheart your comment about the ease of getting MS lightning staff from a quest drop is most insightful. I hadn't even thought about that so am glad you mentioned it. Valuable and relevant info for sure! :)
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • kathandira
    kathandira
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

Use both!

Inferno Staff on front bar, with a skill loadout which is focused on single target damage. Change the Glyph to Shock Damage
    Lightning Staff on back bar with a skill loadout which is focused on AoE damage. Change Glyph to Weapon Damage
    Edited by kathandira on October 19, 2020 1:58PM
    PS4-NA. Breton Templar Healer, Bosmer Stamplar, Breton Magplar, Orsimer StamDK, Dunmer MagDK, Khajiit StamNB, Dunmer MagNB, Argonian Warden Tank, Altmer Magsorc
  • FireBreathingNord
    FireBreathingNord
    ✭✭✭
    Lightning for AO or HA Rotos, Inferno for ST.
  • OmenRIP
    OmenRIP
    ✭✭✭

Just a slight update, I now have Surge in my rotation. Seems to add a little bit of damage, so that’s great! I can easily run the Sunhold dungeon by casting Surge, then blockade, set my pets loose and it’s done. Even with 10 adds. I can even solo the boss with this tactic too, switching to inferno and casting Daedric Prey. I’m not bragging at all, but it feels good to run this dungeon when I got killed dozens and dozens of times when at a lower level 🙂

• OmenRIP
    OmenRIP
    ✭✭✭
    Lightning for AO or HA Rotos, Inferno for ST.

Thank you! I’ll try to keep that in mind as I progress further into higher CP territory.
  • OmenRIP
    OmenRIP
    ✭✭✭
    kathandira wrote: »
    Use both!

Inferno Staff on front bar, with a skill loadout which is focused on single target damage. Change the Glyph to Shock Damage
    Lightning Staff on back bar with a skill loadout which is focused on AoE damage. Change Glyph to Weapon Damage

Great idea! Although being that I paid so much for the inferno staff that I was afraid to add a glyph to it. In addition, after looting at least 25 glyphs, I’ve never seen a Weapon Damage one. I’ll have to check the guild vendors to see if they sell them on a high quality. I’m guessing that I only want to use gold glyphs on both staffs if I can obtain them.
  • kathandira
    kathandira
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kathandira wrote: »
    Use both!

Great idea! Although being that I paid so much for the inferno staff that I was afraid to add a glyph to it. In addition, after looting at least 25 glyphs, I’ve never seen a Weapon Damage one. I’ll have to check the guild vendors to see if they sell them on a high quality. I’m guessing that I only want to use gold glyphs on both staffs if I can obtain them.

You can use blue, purple, or gold gylphs on any quality item. But I would always shoot for Gold since the Kuta required to make it is relatively cheap.

Weapon Damage will require the "Power" rune stone. It generally doesn't drop often, but anyone who has leveled up Enchanting can easily make it for you.
    PS4-NA. Breton Templar Healer, Bosmer Stamplar, Breton Magplar, Orsimer StamDK, Dunmer MagDK, Khajiit StamNB, Dunmer MagNB, Argonian Warden Tank, Altmer Magsorc