The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

My staff looks like it's going to break

Biscuit_290
Biscuit_290
✭✭✭
How can I repair it? I only found the option to repair armour. I read that soul stone is needed for repairs. Does this mean the stone is completely lost after charging(not just emptied)? If so, how can I find more soul stones? They were a bit hard to find(have 2 full and an empty) and my weapon is deteriorating fast. Is there any other way?

On another note, how can I find the recipe or diagram for crafting a new staff? I was told that some guilds sell them but don't know where the NPCs are or if they refer to actual player selling their items.
I am only a level 6 sorcerer and don't know a thing about this game, or MMORPGs in general. Heck I was surprised to read that players can craft and sell items to other players.
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Steep learning curve ahead! Stick with it though, many people are willing to help out new players.

Your staff will not break, its just the enchantment running out of power. The soul gem is consumed when you fill the enchantment back up. Soul gems will become more frequent for you as you progress.

There are crafting NPCs (Danel Telleno?) who will give you a quest to begin crafting and such in major cities.

The best advice is to join a beginners type guild so an experienced player can assist you and answer questions in game.

Fear is the Mindkiller
  • Nairinhe
    Nairinhe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Weapon's don't break, armor does.
    To repair armor you need to either use repair kit or use that option on any NPC merchant.
    Weapons need to be recharged with soul gems. Honestly, I have a ton and not a slightest idea where I got them.
    And at lvl 6 you will most likely outlevel and/or find a new one instead of charging old.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good advice above. It seems your problem is refilling your enchantment. Later in game, full soul gems will drop much more often than you need them so don't worry in the longer run. If you're a new player struggling early on, here are a few ideas to tide you over:

Reenchant the weapon. You can use a glyph to enchant over an enchanted weapon. When you do so, the new enchantment comes with a full charge.

Let the enchantment run out and don't worry about it - it doesn't hurt the actual weapon damage, simply doesn't add the enchanted damage.

Use poisons when you find them. When you have a poison in your poison slot, that poison takes priority over the enchantment so you won't be using enchantment charges.

Buy full soul gems from guild traders. As easy as they come for higher players, I can't imagine they would be overly costly.
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on October 15, 2020 10:51PM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Biscuit_290
    Biscuit_290
    ✭✭✭
    that cleared it up. thanks for the answers
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There are a variety of ways to get both filled and empty soul gems: they will drop in treasure chests, in rewards of the worthy boxes, from enchanting daily writs, etc.
    There are a couple of ways to fill soul gems; the simplest is to use the skill soul trap. You can also put one or two skill points in the soul lock passive and occasionally fill a gem that way.
  • SpiritofESO
    SpiritofESO
    ✭✭✭
    Tip -- get the Soul Lock Passive (two skill points total):
    (Everybody gets Soul Magic by default)

Soul Lock
    Skill description
    Killing an enemy with a Weapon ability has a 10% chance of automatically filling an empty Soul Gem.
    ~~~
    My feeling -- and I have used this passive since I started playing -- is that "10%" is a gross underestimate, perhaps even a misprint on the tooltip since I find that my empty soul gems fill up so often that the percentage seems much more like 30% to me.

Get empty soul stones (NOT from a regular merchant, but from any Mage's Guild NPC cheaply. Let the Soul Lock Passive fill them up. There is also a skill to use:

Soul Trap -- Lay claim to an enemy soul, dealing 1740 Magic Damage or 1740 Physical Damage over 10 seconds. The damage dealt is based on your highest offensive stats. ---> Fills a soul gem if the affected enemy dies.

Use that on mudcrabs on the shoreline and you'll fill a bunch of Soul Gems FAST. :smiley:
    • ~ PS NA ~ ALDMERI DOMINION ~
    • IVY GOLDBLADE, WOOD ELF NIGHTBLADE, Former Empress
    • IVY GOLDBLAZE, HIGH ELF TEMPLAR
    • "Adapt or Die"