The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Necromancer Dunmer instead of Altmer/Breton (did I made a mistake) ?

fced
fced
✭✭
Hello,
Today i created a Dunmer necromancer (DD), but because of the lore, and because i didn't wanted to play another time Aldmeri domain (my sorcerer is Altmer) i decided to create a Dunmer.
My friends told me i made a mistake, they told me i should have got the Altmer, but the dunmer have more dps (weapon+spells) and the altmer more regen.
What are your thought ?
Thanks
Ced
Edited by fced on October 14, 2020 10:37AM
  • Joxer61
    Joxer61
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    play what you like....
  • Surazel
    Surazel
    ✭✭✭
    The Difference between Altmer and Dunmer are 125 max Magicka. ( dps wise) doesnt really matter that much so stay dunmer pls!

Here is a link to look for the passives
    https://alcasthq.com/eso-race-guide-elder-scrolls-online/

Altmer:
    Highborn – Increases your experience gained by 1%. Increases experience gain with the Destruction Staff Skill line by 15%.
    Spell Recharge: Restore 645 Magicka or Stamina, based on whichever is lower, after activating a Class Ability. This effect can occur once every 6 seconds. Reduces damage taken by 5% while you are using an ability with a cast or channel time.
    Syrabane’s Boon: Increases your Max Magicka by 2000.
    Elemental Talent: Increases your Spell Damage by 258.

Dunmer:
    Ashlander – Increases the experience gain with the Dual Wield Skill line by 15%. Reduces your damage taken by environmental lava by 50%.
    Dynamic: Increases your Max Stamina and Magicka by 1875.
    Resist Flame: Increases your Flame Resistance by 2310. You are immune to the burning status effect.
    Ruination: Increases your Weapon and Spell Damage by 258.

Have fun
    Sura
    Edited by Surazel on October 14, 2020 10:44AM
  • MrBrownstone
    MrBrownstone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Altmer had 10% magicka recovery before but all the passives were changed so your friends' Info is outdated. For the passives that matter; Altmer has 2000 Max Magicka and 258 Spell damage, Dunmer has 1875 Max Magicka and 258 Spell Damage and Breton has 2000 Max Magicka, 100 recovery and 7% cost reduction. So Breton is the inferior choice here since it only provides sustain (which becomes obsolete in a good group) and that 258 Spell damage matters.

Altmer and Dunmer are basically the same dpswise since the extra 125 Max Magicka has almost zero effect. You picked the second best race which has no noticable difference compared to the first, don't worry
  • Sanguinor2
    Sanguinor2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    PvE DD I assume?`
    While Altmer has a tiny bit more damage because of the 125 max mag (really so little that it doesnt matter it equates to roughly 12,5 spell damage) on a dunmer you have the advantage of being able to swap to stam if you want to, you just have to level other morphs and weapon skills but dont have to make a new char from scratch, level undaunted, mounts etc.
    Politeness is respecting others.
    Courage is doing what is fair.
    Modesty is speaking of oneself without vanity.
    Self control is keeping calm even when anger rises.
    Sincerity is expressing oneself without concealing ones thoughts.
    Honor is keeping ones word.
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Immune to burning and almost 2k stam is worth more than 125 max magicka and stam regen passive in my book. You getting the altmer same as dunmer only for the last passive anyway so no mistake made for sure, ability to respec into stamina is also a tremendous advantage for sure over mag/stam race mains.
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I created 2 necro alts today as I am looking to power level 4 toons on witches festival, one redguard and one argoinian. Play and build what you like.
    I chose these 2 as I want 1 toon from every race, so stam redguard necro, mag argonian necro, just have an imperial left for my 11th toon (have 2 dumners atm) then I will look to build meta builds or whatever.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer Dunmer simply because it gives me greater flexibility if I decide to swap from the Magicka to Stamina version of the class.
  • Mike0987
    Mike0987
    ✭✭✭
    The only real mistake was making it AD lol. But a Dunmer can simply step out of a fire AOE and not need a purge. This is very useful especially in pvp. Also depending on if your role will be DPS(dunmer) or a tank(altmer).
  • fced
    fced
    ✭✭
    Altmer had 10% magicka recovery before but all the passives were changed so your friends' Info is outdated. For the passives that matter; Altmer has 2000 Max Magicka and 258 Spell damage, Dunmer has 1875 Max Magicka and 258 Spell Damage and Breton has 2000 Max Magicka, 100 recovery and 7% cost reduction. So Breton is the inferior choice here since it only provides sustain (which becomes obsolete in a good group) and that 258 Spell damage matters.

Altmer and Dunmer are basically the same dpswise since the extra 125 Max Magicka has almost zero effect. You picked the second best race which has no noticable difference compared to the first, don't worry
    I checked on wiki before choosing : https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Racial+Skills
    it was my thought, Altmer regen its magicka a bit when launching classe spells, but Dunmer get more damages with light/heavy staves attack...
    For me Dunmer magicka dd have more dps than than an Altmer (spell, light attack, spell, light attack)...
    But in the end i am sure they are the same, because the Altmer regen permit to launch a bit more spells before falling out of magicka...

And yes my Dunmer Necro is mainly for PVE, but who know, there is some fun in Cyrodill...
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    fced wrote: »

I checked on wiki before choosing : https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Racial+Skills
    it was my thought, Altmer regen its magicka a bit when launching classe spells, but Dunmer get more damages with light/heavy staves attack...
    For me Dunmer magicka dd have more dps than than an Altmer (spell, light attack, spell, light attack)...
    But in the end i am sure they are the same, because the Altmer regen permit to launch a bit more spells before falling out of magicka...

And yes my Dunmer Necro is mainly for PVE, but who know, there is some fun in Cyrodill...

Only stamina altmer will get magicka back on class skills, magicka gets stamina back being lower resource pool.

Dunmer gets exactly same damage, around like 10-20spd less than an Altmer due to tiny bit lesser mag pool but it doesn't matter.
  • fced
    fced
    ✭✭
    Mike0987 wrote: »
    The only real mistake was making it AD lol. But a Dunmer can simply step out of a fire AOE and not need a purge. This is very useful especially in pvp. Also depending on if your role will be DPS(dunmer) or a tank(altmer).

AD ? What is this Aldmeri Dominion ? Yeah they are a bunch of snobs :)
  • BXR_Lonestar
    BXR_Lonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My magcro is a Dark Elf and he's awesome. He's my best DPS TBH, hitting about 50k DPS without really practicing/honing/perfecting my rotation. That was pre-patch and the nerf to false gods thoughs, so its probably a bit lower. But nonetheless, Dunmer is a pretty good choice for necro mag dps spec, and IMO, if you decide to switch to stam, you'll be in better position to have a higher quality DPS character than you would if you took the high elf or breton.
  • MrBrownstone
    MrBrownstone
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Altmer restores the lower Max resource so if you're a magicka character you restore stamina. It's useful for PvP. Dunmer doesn't have any bonus about light attacks so i don't know where did you see it
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Altmer restores the lower Max resource so if you're a magicka character you restore stamina. It's useful for PvP. Dunmer doesn't have any bonus about light attacks so i don't know where did you see it

I think the OP may be misinterpreting the Dunmer weapon damage buff as increased light attack damage.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Joxer61 wrote: »
    play what you like....

My Magicka Necro is Khajiit ...

mSbjIPT.png
  • VoidCommander
    VoidCommander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you make a stamina necro dps, dunmer will be highly preferered since you will use your boneyard ability regardless.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Immune to burning and almost 2k stam is worth more than 125 max magicka and stam regen passive in my book. You getting the altmer same as dunmer only for the last passive anyway so no mistake made for sure, ability to respec into stamina is also a tremendous advantage for sure over mag/stam race mains.

Completely agree. Especially when you factor in blocking (i.e. Hel Ra final boss) and roll dodging (i.e. all the time). The burning immunity is also very nice, as is the ability to flip magicka to stamina for things like PVP
  • llBlack_Heartll
    llBlack_Heartll
    ✭✭✭✭
    I prefer Dunmer simply because it gives me greater flexibility if I decide to swap from the Magicka to Stamina version of the class.

This ^^^^

• LightYagami
    LightYagami
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dunmers are very good in PvP. The extra both magicka and stamina enhance your survivability.

The immunity to burning is basically game breakingly good as quite many NPCs and players are using fire.

As a Dunmer, you can change to magicka or stamina builds anytime you want without worrying race changing tokens.
    No improvement on Cyrodill servers -> no ESO plus renewal.
  • Jman100582
    Jman100582
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dude as long as you're in the ballpark for whatever build you want to play

For example a magicka build should choose a race that is buffed by magicka. dark elf, high elf, breton all do these things

Same goes for a stam build. Orc, woodelf, and dark elf all buff stamina dps.

It's not like you made a magicka necro orc and got nothing out of your class passives. Dark elf is a good choice if you just simply don't know what type of dps build you are going to end up playing, and the dps difference isn't even significant. Probably less than 1k dps loss. you'll be fine

edit: spelling
    Edited by Jman100582 on October 15, 2020 6:41AM
  • fced
    fced
    ✭✭

Dunmer have two dd racial bonus : Weapon damage + Spell damage, and because in our rotation we do light attack -> spell -> light attack->... it increase greatly the damages, much more than any Altmer (but i could have misread/misunderstood)...
    Source : https://alcasthq.com/eso-race-guide-elder-scrolls-online/
    Dunmer (Dark Elf)

ESO Race GuideDunmer racial passives let you play both Stamina or Magicka based setups. They are not really best at playing stamina or magicka, but again you can easily swap between each of those without having to race change. If you want to play a hybrid setup, then Dark Elves are a very good choice because of the double stats they get. They also get flame resistance, which can be helpful if you are a Vampire.
    Ashlander – Increases the experience gain with the Dual Wield Skill line by 15%. Reduces your damage taken by environmental lava by 50%
    Dynamic: Increases your Max Stamina and Magicka by 1875.
    Resist Flame: Increases your Flame Resistance by 2310. You are immune to the burning status effect.
    Ruination: Increases your Weapon and Spell Damage by 258

Edit : Arf another thing which is badly explained, weapon damage = physical damage not weapon damage, a staff is a weapon also, they should have said physical weapon damage
    I Hate this game for those type of reason, nothing is accurate in ESO (PS4), two days ago i discussed during one hour with a friend who didn't wanted to trust me when i said light/medium armor increase critical chances and not critical damage, i had to remove completely my gear and remove then re-add thief stone to prove him i was not wrong
    In Skills, Meters are not meter but feets (even if I set the game in english), instead of speaking of + 10% critical chances or 10% critical damage, they say "+150 Physical critical score per piece of medium armor equipped" which mean nothing for us... 2345 fire resistance instead of 10% resistance fire...
    PC user are really lucky, they have mods to help seeing all the character specs, but this another debate.
    Edited by fced on October 16, 2020 3:58AM
  • StarOfElyon
    StarOfElyon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been low key mad about the fact that Dunmer are so superior to Altmer. I kind of wish I didn't prefer Altmer for RP reasons.
  • fced
    fced
    ✭✭
    I've been low key mad about the fact that Dunmer are so superior to Altmer. I kind of wish I didn't prefer Altmer for RP reasons.

would have been cool isn't it ? ^
  • Berchelous
    Berchelous
    ✭✭✭✭
    Altmer and Dunmer two master races.
    Edited by Berchelous on November 25, 2020 11:51AM
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    125 max mag that altmer has more is around 0.25% dps in an optimized build, if not less. So if u are hitting 80k, you would mostly lose 200 dps getting 79.8k instead. As some said, the extra stamina and burning immunity might be more comfortable for dodging if you need.

Also weapon damage doesn't increase your light attack damage but damage from stamina sources (stamina abilities, and light attacks only when your weapon damage+max stamina is bigger than your spell damage+max magicka)
    Edited by zvavi on October 16, 2020 10:51AM
  • fced
    fced
    ✭✭
    zvavi wrote: »
    125 max mag that altmer has more is around 0.25% dps in an optimized build, if not less. So if u are hitting 80k, you would mostly lose 200 dps getting 79.8k instead. As some said, the extra stamina and burning immunity might be more comfortable for dodging if you need.

Also weapon damage doesn't increase your light attack damage but damage from stamina sources (stamina abilities, and light attacks only when your weapon damage+max stamina is bigger than your spell damage+max magicka)

I have understood this, this is why i put it in bold typography in my last commentary. +spell dmg + real Weapon dmg on Dunmer would have been too great...
    After 8 years Eso could review their descriptions, text, etc and make it more accurate...
    In any case, i don't regret my dunmer... as everybody said, its flexibility is perfect for me, it will permit me to try different things..
    Edited by fced on October 16, 2020 10:00PM
  • MrBrownstone
    MrBrownstone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should change the name of those stats to make them easier to understand. Even if you know that weapon damage doesn't affect the damage of your staff, many people still misunderstand them. For example there are lots of people who think that +258 Spell damage actually increases the damage done by spells by 258. Also many people think major sorcery (+20% Spell damage) increases the damage of spells by 20%. Not the players fault.

Spell Damage > Magical Power
    Weapon Damage > Physical Power

Also get rid of nonsense numbers. If Precise can say "7.2% critical" why can't sets say "3.8% critical" instead of the "833 critical"?
    Edited by MrBrownstone on October 16, 2020 10:47PM
  • fced
    fced
    ✭✭
    They should change the name of those stats to make them easier to understand. Even if you know that weapon damage doesn't affect the damage of your staff, many people still misunderstand them. For example there are lots of people who think that +258 Spell damage actually increases the damage done by spells by 258. Also many people think major sorcery (+20% Spell damage) increases the damage of spells by 20%. Not the players fault.

Spell Damage > Magical Power
    Weapon Damage > Physical Power

Also get rid of nonsense numbers. If Precise can say "7.2% critical" why can't sets say "3.8% critical" instead of the "833 critical"?

Wait, do you mean Major sorcery (potions or gear) don't increase damage of spells ?
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, no mistake. Dunmer rule.

Orc (stam) and Altmer (mag) are only a few %, if that, ahead on dps but this is really only at the elite end of the spectrum. Other than that its down to the passives you prefer. I generally favour dark elf.

For general gameplay, there is very little difference.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dunmer is the second best DPS race for magicka OR stamina. Mag necro is so bad in pvp, that you will be swapping to stamina if you pvp. Because of the stat density, it is not a bad tank race either.

For pve, the burning immunity dwarfs the High Elf stamina regen passive. For pvp the 1.8K stam is almost as good as the Altmer stamina regen. Necro doesn't have a single channeled or cast time ability so the Altmer damage mitigation passive is wasted.

Personally, I think 258 damage is the best passive in the game.