The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Deconstructing Golden Jewelry

xillion
xillion
I've never thought about posting here, but I just couldn't restrain my emotions. I'm a kind of new player but I already know that this game have hundreds of issues. However, I like the game and try to not pay attention to most of them.

So, I had this golden amulet which I'd sell for 20-30k but decided to deconstruct it. I have 3/3 points on "Jewel Extraction" and after deconstructing it, guess what I get?! NOTHING!!! I REPEAT, NOTHING!!! THIS IS RIDICULOUS! [snip]

[Edit for Bashing.]
Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on October 6, 2020 7:39PM
  • allhailskippy
    allhailskippy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's RNGezus for ya. He's a fickle friend on the best of days.

What I don't understand though is why you'd chance it? Best case scenario, you'd get a chromium grain out of it, not a plate. So at even the best price out there, that's a <10k item.

Why not sell the amulet, and buy grains with the cash you made? Takes the RNG part out of that equation and still gets you the mats you're after.
    Hireling Wanted! - An Elder Scrolls Tale https://hirelingwanted.com
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The tooltip tells you you "have a chance" at getting materials, not guaranteed. Refine mats for gold dust. Decon is usually the last option before destroying the item.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is in line with all the other things you deconstruct. You have a chance at an upgrade mat when you decon an item. Even if you did get a mat, it would be a single Chromium Grains worth about 10k. If the item could have sold for 20 - 30k, there is no way you would have gotten more value from deconstructing it.
  • xillion
    xillion
    Please don't defend the game, dumb designing decision. Deconstructing GOLDEN item (it costs thousands to make) with 3 points on "Jewel Extraction" MUST give you something, no matter what.
  • allhailskippy
    allhailskippy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not sell the amulet, and buy grains with the cash you made? Takes the RNG part out of that equation and still gets you the mats you're after.

Also, not trying to make you feel bad about what you did. You had a gold item, and now you have nothing. That feeling sucks.

As a long time crafter, I can tell you there are some expensive mistakes I've made that make this one look cheap (looking at you mr alt with 300k worth of rare motifs meant for my main). Or at those (multiple) times I did an entire set of blacksmithing master writs upgraded all the way to purple with level 1 mats. Spoiler. You don't get all your upgrade mats back then either :P

Especially with crafting, ya gotta look past these bits, learn from them, and try to avoid repeats if at all possible.
  • xillion
    xillion
    And we're not talking about light/media golden item, this is JEWERLY, waaay more expensive to make!!!
  • allhailskippy
    allhailskippy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xillion wrote: »
    Please don't defend the game, dumb designing decision. Deconstructing GOLDEN item (it costs thousands to make) with 3 points on "Jewel Extraction" MUST give you something, no matter what.

Nope. Just a chance. No guarantees when your'e breaking stuff down. Not in ESO anyways.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If there is an issue with jewel crafting it would be the grains system in general, not necessarily the returns you get. If they did away with the grains, it would be in line with everything else. Asking for a greater return on a wonky system is at best a band aid solution to the real problem.
  • xillion
    xillion

Also, not trying to make you feel bad about what you did. You had a gold item, and now you have nothing. That feeling sucks.

As a long time crafter, I can tell you there are some expensive mistakes I've made that make this one look cheap (looking at you mr alt with 300k worth of rare motifs meant for my main). Or at those (multiple) times I did an entire set of blacksmithing master writs upgraded all the way to purple with level 1 mats. Spoiler. You don't get all your upgrade mats back then either :P

Especially with crafting, ya gotta look past these bits, learn from them, and try to avoid repeats if at all possible.

Hey, thanks for the reply, but I really don't care about the item, I have 2 more the same. I just took my chances and was expecting to get something, but nothing is just ridiculous imo.
  • xillion
    xillion
    The quality of item MUST increase the extraction chance, and with golden item that chance should be 100% and then low chance to give you better material.
    Edited by xillion on October 6, 2020 7:51PM
  • allhailskippy
    allhailskippy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And we're not talking about light/media golden item, this is JEWERLY, waaay more expensive to make!!!

If you're selling it for 20k-30k, then you didn't make it. You bought it. Most likely from the golden vendor in cyrodiil, or from a guild trader who's selling something they got from the golden vendor in cyrodiil.

The cheapest gold Item I can make is probably blacksmithing running in around 4kish per mat times 8 mats to get to gold. Means the cheapest I can break even on blacksmithing is at give or take 32k for the one with the least expensive mats. 2k more than you said you sold the ring for at the top end.

And f I decon it, there's still only a chance to get a single 4k piece out of it. Maybe.

So no that's not more expensive to make. At least not for what you're talking about.
  • allhailskippy
    allhailskippy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The quality of item MUST increase the extraction chance, and with golden item that chance should be 100% and then low chance to give you better material.

Says who? Would be great it if did. But it don't.
  • allhailskippy
    allhailskippy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey, thanks for the reply, but I really don't care about the item, I have 2 more the same. I just took my chances and was expecting to get something, but nothing is just ridiculous imo.

So you gambled and lost. Sucks but it happens.
    Edited by allhailskippy on October 6, 2020 8:06PM
  • xillion
    xillion

OK I'll repeat, I DON'T CARE about the item, it's not about that I lost the item, it's about getting ABSOLUTELY NOTHING from decon a golden jewel. That's it.

However, it looks like you guys like the system, or you just agree with everything zos makes, so it'll probably stay like this forever... And btw same with many other "features".
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deconstructing for mats, is probably the least favorable way to get mats. You would be better off even just selling to a vendor.
  • Bucky_13
    Bucky_13
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope. Just a chance. No guarantees when your'e breaking stuff down. Not in ESO anyways.

Yes. That's why I sell golden jewelry unless it's bound to me. Also, if the jewelry had a sell value of 20-30k, the best thing to do would've been to sell it then buy 2-3 chromium grains instead. Deconning jewelry that's worth more than their sale value is always a bad idea.
  • Bucky_13
    Bucky_13
    ✭✭✭✭✭

OK I'll repeat, I DON'T CARE about the item, it's not about that I lost the item, it's about getting ABSOLUTELY NOTHING from decon a golden jewel. That's it.

However, it looks like you guys like the system, or you just agree with everything zos makes, so it'll probably stay like this forever... And btw same with many other "features".

I prefer to observe what the rules of the system are, then work around the system to my advantage to increase profit. Ignoring the system and get mad when it blows up in your face is not really the best way to approach things.
    Edited by Bucky_13 on October 7, 2020 10:03AM
  • doomette
    doomette
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I mean, you said it yourself. You took a chance. It sucks it didn’t pan out. But then demanding, which is what you’re doing, that that you get something back every time, well, that’s not taking a chance, is it?
  • Zer0_CooL
    Zer0_CooL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deconstructing golden jewelery is a nobrainer. You have a chance to get 1 grain of which you'll need 40 to uppgrade jewelery to gold. Always sell them, even if its only 20k.
  • phwaap
    phwaap
    ✭✭✭
    Bucky_13 wrote: »
    Yes. That's why I sell golden jewelry unless it's bound to me.
    But the absurdity of one chromium grain for bound golden jewelry. That can't be denied.

• allhailskippy
    allhailskippy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    phwaap wrote: »
    Bucky_13 wrote: »
    Yes. That's why I sell golden jewelry unless it's bound to me.
    But the absurdity of one chromium grain for bound golden jewelry. That can't be denied.

Yes. It's terrible. That's why I don't do it :)
  • xillion
    xillion
    phwaap wrote: »

It's ridiculous, absolutely no incentive to deconstruct it, even selling it for 5k is probably better.

In one game I remember there was this special material that you can obtain ONLY from decon legendary/golden item...