The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

make tab targeting do its job

Sergykid
Sergykid
✭✭✭✭✭
if i highlight a player with tab then make my attacks hit him. Not the pet in front of him, not his teammates that stay at one meter away to the left or right of him.
What's the purpose of this function, only visual to see him behind walls? i thought it's supposed to function as the first target you want to hit in a crowd.
-PC EU- / battlegrounds on my youtube
  • MyKillv2.0
    MyKillv2.0
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what you are saying is that we need to add a new cosmetic to the crown store? Got it. Good news! I am sure something will be added shortly.
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    wouldn't mind paying gold for gifting crowns to get proper targeting mechanics.
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Why would anyone want to introduce tab targeting into ESO, there are plenty of games that do it well! Targeting in this game is to track your opponent only!
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would anyone want to introduce tab targeting into ESO, there are plenty of games that do it well! Targeting in this game is to track your opponent only!

so it's indeed true that highlighting a player with tab is only visual? has no function to prioritize the target in a crowd?
    if it does have a function to prioritize that target in besides whatever is around your reticle, then this is what i am talking about, it must be made to work properly
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Sergykid wrote: »
    if i highlight a player with tab then make my attacks hit him. Not the pet in front of him, not his teammates that stay at one meter away to the left or right of him.
    What's the purpose of this function, only visual to see him behind walls? i thought it's supposed to function as the first target you want to hit in a crowd.

I alway tought it was to not loose track of a particular ennemy in a crowd
  • dazee
    dazee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tab target does its job in the context of ESO, a non tab target game. we have soft tab target. which means you need a straight LOS. its Working as Intended and does not need that kind of change.

Tab target actually increases the amount of error in you aiming and actually hitting the target, its a sort of soft lock on, but something getting in the way still blocks it, and should. TBH pets should probably be intangible in pve and pvp. No one really goes after a pet in pvp to kill it, and they become OP in large numbers since they block damage from the owner.
    Edited by dazee on September 30, 2020 9:58PM
    Playing your character the way your character should play is all that matters. Play as well as you can but never betray the character. Doing so would make playing an mmoRPG pointless.
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It need to get option to change color of highlight because defsult white color literally helps target to blend in a massive fights.
    Scion has red highlight which is far easier to see.
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I just would like to be able to highlight something without going into sneak half of the time...
  • Mindcr0w
    Mindcr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah, the tab target is meant only to be a visual effect to help you keep track of the enemy, not an actual locked on auto aim like in Dark Souls or WoW.

That said, a change I would like to see is to have the effect not end when a PvE enemy uses any sort of teleport. I don't know if it does that in PvP also.
    Edited by Mindcr0w on September 30, 2020 10:26PM
  • dazee
    dazee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dark souls lock on is not auto aim. you can still miss.
    Playing your character the way your character should play is all that matters. Play as well as you can but never betray the character. Doing so would make playing an mmoRPG pointless.
  • Sahidom
    Sahidom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Its would be nice to have tab targeting establish an attack path to the target, so any ranged attack paths from source to direct line to the target; of course, you'd have to have collision detection on interposing objects e.g. player or object. It wouldn't be end all, be all perfect but something... What we have not is a horrible budget cut incomplete feature, renamed to be oh thats dynamic combat... er no, and I could write an essay explaining this out..
    Edited by Sahidom on October 1, 2020 3:50AM
  • esotoon
    esotoon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That would be great, but unfortunately the game doesn't know this. A lot of times, even with cross hairs on the target, your skill/attacks hits the player to the left or right of the screen.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the only purpose for that tab is to make it easier to command pets or something. I honestly don't know since I don't play a pet class.

As for what you want OP if that became a reality I'd quit the game instantly and go play something else. What I love the most about ESO is the fact you can hide behind allies and you can use positioning to your advantage. If this became another game where I click my target once and never stare at them again as I press buttons for several minutes the game's combat system would completely lose its charm overnight.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • BRogueNZ
    BRogueNZ
    ✭✭✭✭✭

which is actually a rubbish mechanism (why, if you have los or hide, do we have some bs broken 'feature' to reveal you, speaking of los zos, another fail), and yeah hugely successful mmo's use tab targeting funny that..

Edited by BRogueNZ on October 1, 2020 4:52AM
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hm...
    Is it possible to program tab target so it ignores pets but not players? That would solve many problems...
  • Irfind
    Irfind
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You forgot our best friends .... rats and bugs they love to get ultimates even 2m behind us ;)
    PC EU no CP PVP
    EP Irfind - Stam NB Dunmer
    EP Iswind - Mag Warden Dunmer
    EP Ko'runa Silberklaue - Mag Temp Khajiit
    EP Eldrid Hagal - Mag DK Dunmer
    EP Feyne R'is - Stam Sorc Dunmer ...with Bow
    EP Wynn Loraethaine - Mag NB Dunmer
    AD Runare Loraethaine - Stam Sorc Altmer
    AD Skadi Hagal - Stam DK Khajiit
  • Elwendryll
    Elwendryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What am I reading? Tab target does prioritize the highlighted target (and highlights it, yes), if you turn your back to a tab targeted enemy to hit something, your cast will sometimes go 180° to your target.

It happens to me quite frequently, I forget to untab the boss and my leash or taunt fires in my back.

You still need a line of sight, but yes, tab targeting is useful and will help most of your attacks go on the intended target, it is, however, not absolute, and you can still cast things on other targets if they're in the way or far enough on the side.
    Edited by Elwendryll on October 1, 2020 6:14AM
    PC - EU - France - AD
    Main character: Qojikrin - Khajiit Sorcerer Tank/Stamina DD - since March 25, 2015.
    Guildmaster of Oriflamme: Focus on 4 player endgame content.
    Member of Brave Cat Trade, Panda Division and Toadhuggers.

All 4-man trifectas - TTT, IR, GH
  • Ysbriel
    Ysbriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve had moments where i attack a person in front of me and the lightning bolt hits an enemy behind me 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You cant expect the tab mark to magically make your attacks avoid obstacles (players/pets/scenery etc). That is not what its for. Your attacks still need line of sight.
  • dazee
    dazee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tab target based combat is not a positive feature in any game. Games which use full tab target such as FF14 are good despite it, not because of it.

Nothing is wrong with ESO's soft lock tab system. ESO is a buggy mess but the core idea of combat is fine.
  • eKsDee
    eKsDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As @Elwendryll said, it absolutely does have an effect on targeting, but that effect is extremely inconsistent. Sometimes it'll be hyper aggressive, forcing your character to turn a full 180° to attack the target you have tabbed, and other times it'll literally be an anti-target, causing your attacks to land on everyone else except the guy you have tabbed.
  • Daffen
    Daffen
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tab targetting works as intended when i use it (PC EU) if i target a person and he stands behind i pet i can still hit him. You just have to aim right on him and not around him. If your aim is off, you wont hit him. Which is probably 99% of the reason players dont think it works because they are not aiming directly at the player they want to attack.
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daffen wrote: »
    Tab targetting works as intended when i use it (PC EU) if i target a person and he stands behind i pet i can still hit him. You just have to aim right on him and not around him. If your aim is off, you wont hit him. Which is probably 99% of the reason players dont think it works because they are not aiming directly at the player they want to attack.

so aside from its visual effect, it's more of a precision adjustment? if a player has a pet in front of him, even if i target the player aside from the pet, i am still going to hit the pet. But if i tab the player behind the pet, i will actually hit the player if i move my reticle way from the pet. Not sure it works this way, i often find the targeting not caring if my target is highlighted or not, in the end thinking it's actually visual only.
  • PizzaCat82
    PizzaCat82
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Easiest way to target the centipede in front of the boss mob you are standing next

Because everyone knows thats who you wanted to waste your ult on.
    Edited by PizzaCat82 on October 1, 2020 4:58PM
  • Daffen
    Daffen
    ✭✭✭✭

so aside from its visual effect, it's more of a precision adjustment? if a player has a pet in front of him, even if i target the player aside from the pet, i am still going to hit the pet. But if i tab the player behind the pet, i will actually hit the player if i move my reticle way from the pet. Not sure it works this way, i often find the targeting not caring if my target is highlighted or not, in the end thinking it's actually visual only.

If you target a player, and you aim directly on him you will hit him even if there are 4 players or 5 pets between you and him. You just have to keep your crosshair in between the white outline to hit him. If you aim just on the edge or outside the outline, you will hit the object closest to you.

Im probably better than most players as i have played almost 3k hours in csgo and 3k in ESO which makes you better at aiming at your target.
  • Sergykid
    Sergykid
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you target a player, and you aim directly on him you will hit him even if there are 4 players or 5 pets between you and him. You just have to keep your crosshair in between the white outline to hit him. If you aim just on the edge or outside the outline, you will hit the object closest to you.

Im probably better than most players as i have played almost 3k hours in csgo and 3k in ESO which makes you better at aiming at your target.

you know i made this thread exactly because of the opposite of what you say. I have my reticle on my target, but i charge on their pet or on the player that's right next to me (talking from battleground experience). I target the squishy mosquito that shoots snipes from behind the tanks, i put my reticle on it, and when i charge him i actually land on the 40k hp warden.
  • MincVinyl
    MincVinyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good news, if you play healer almost all of the abilities auto target for you.
  • Daffen
    Daffen
    ✭✭✭✭

you know i made this thread exactly because of the opposite of what you say. I have my reticle on my target, but i charge on their pet or on the player that's right next to me (talking from battleground experience). I target the squishy mosquito that shoots snipes from behind the tanks, i put my reticle on it, and when i charge him i actually land on the 40k hp warden.

My first reply is just saying that tab targetting works for me on pc eu at least.
  • Recapitated
    Recapitated
    ✭✭✭✭

Huge if true. Would like to see someone test that on dummies.
  • Merforum
    Merforum
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Irfind wrote: »

You forgot our best friends .... rats and bugs they love to get ultimates even 2m behind us ;)

The game is better the way it is with no tab auto aim, and allowing people to use pets and other stuff to hide behind or take damage for you, that's a skill all it's own like light attack ani/cancel bug.

If they were going to change something that really helps no one is allowing targeting of snakes, bugs, etc, it happens often enough to be annoying when I am targeting someone who will die when I leap on them, but I fly right past them and hit a rat that I couldn't even see because it targeted them.

Off topic but related, one very good change for controller would be NOT having the JUMP and INTERACT button as the same thing. Can't tell how many times I was going to jump over a box but open it instead, this is just stupid. And it doesn't allow changing those keybind. At least I can change the stupid weapon swap keybind on controller which I recommend to everyone, so you don't pop potion or change to 1st person view, when you wanted to weapon swap.