The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Daily Crafting Writ Guide

allhailskippy
allhailskippy
✭✭✭✭✭
I do daily writs on 13 toons (so far), and have worked at optimizing that process as best I can to reduce how much time it actually takes to reap the plentiful rewards it brings.

This usually brings me around 300k gold per week as well as a host of gold (and other) mats.

Here's the write-up I've done. There's some images part way down that will sum a bunch of the text up:
https://hirelingwanted.com/daily-crafting-writ-guide/

Let me know if there's anything there that doesn't make sense, or if you know of a faster/better way that I've missed. I'm always on the hunt for improvements.

Hopefully this will help some of you who either a) want to get into crafting or b) already craft, but want to take it to the next level.
Edited by allhailskippy on September 30, 2020 3:00PM
Hireling Wanted! - An Elder Scrolls Tale https://hirelingwanted.com
  • allhailskippy
    allhailskippy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also realize that there are a ton of options for PC users. But I play on PS4, so we need to make due with the tools we have.
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Link doesn't work for me 😔
  • allhailskippy
    allhailskippy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hotdog_23 wrote: »
    Link doesn't work for me 😔

Well that's not.. ideal.

What's it doing? What device are you using to access it?

It's just a wordpress site without anything overly fancy... doesn't have any ads or anything either.. so an adblocker shouldn't affect it either.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Link works for me

Nice Guide

Suggestions:

Mention using a Banker to hold everything, then each Alt can just access the Banker. Helps if they are all in the same Alliance for Provisioning

Zombie Farming can provide plenty of gear to decon for Style Mats.

Original 9 Style Mats sell for 15 Gold, do not pay more than that at Guild Stores. I have seen common style mats listed for 50 or 80 gold each, buy from Crafting NPCs if that is the case.

Edited by Nestor on September 30, 2020 5:35PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• allhailskippy
    allhailskippy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are some good suggestions.
    Nestor wrote: »
    Link works for me

Mention using a Banker to hold everything, then each Alt can just access the Banker. Helps if they are all in the same Alliance for Provisioning

I don't find the banker method helpful for me, since mine is usually full with stuff. And taking the time to access a bank slows me down. But I can see how that would work for some folks. Perhaps those with less hoarding tendencies :)
    Zombie Farming can provide plenty of gear to decon for Style Mats.

Zombie farming is a great tip! I've been playing for a long time, so my stockpile of these is pretty absurd. Definitely a needed component for daily writs.
    Original 9 Style Mats sell for 15 Gold, do not pay more than that at Guild Stores. I have seen common style mats listed for 50 or 80 gold each, buy from Crafting NPCs if that is the case.

Agreed. I always by mine from the NPC as it is. But that is more of a convenience than anything else. Can definitely find better pricing in traders if you're starting, and are on a budget.

Thanks for reading, and the feedback!
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well written, hope its helpful for people. What I do (on PC, but without add-ons) is somewhere between your options. I craft 3 days worth of stuff at a time (other than alchemy and provisioning) as yet another level of compromise between efficiency and inventory. Bonus is that it's always the same items, so I don't have to pay attention to which characters are where in the cycle, they just make the same items every time.
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I was on my phone when I could not get it work but on a normal computer it worked fine. Thanks for sharing.

Another routine you could use which is the one I use is craft every other day. Pick up writs, don’t do them. The next day do writs for the ones I have from yesterday and do the ones for the current day. I have a chart I use so I know what I need to craft. Just go by the glyph needed for the day before and go in the order below since I craft in Vivic city. This way I only craft every other day and save on bag space.

Day 1
    Enchantment: Glyph: Stamina / Health
    Jewelry: 1 Rings / 3 Necklaces
    Woodworking: 2 Bows, 1 Inferno, 1 Ice, 1 Lightning and 1 Shield
    Blacksmithing: Sabatons, Gauntlet, Helm, Pauldron, Great Sword, Dagger
    Clothing: Shoes, Hat, Sash, Bracers, Helmet, Arm Cops

Day 2
    Enchantment: Glyph: Health / Magic
    Jewelry: 3 Rings, 2 Necklaces
    Woodworking: 1 Inferno, 1 Ice, 1 Lightning, 2 Resto’s, 1 Shield
    Blacksmithing: Cuirass, Sabatons, Gauntlet, Greaves, Sword, Greatsword
    Clothing: Robe, Shoes, Hat, Epaulets, Breeches, Sash

Day 3
    Enchantment: Glyph: Magic / Stamina
    Jewelry: 4 Rings, 1 Necklace
    Woodworking: 2 Bows, 2 Resto’s, 2 Shield’s
    Blacksmithing: Cuirass, Helm, Greaves, Pauldron, Sword, Dagger
    Clothing: Robe, breeches, Epaulets, Bracers, Helmet, Arm Cops

Rinse and repeat. This way the only bag space needed is to hold the food/alchemy. Some alchemy writs I don’t do except on my main since I don’t see the value in using nirnroot and cornflower for writs.

Now with this said with the upcoming sticker book and having more bag space available I may just craft every 7 days and hold the rest needed. Day 1 craft everything needed for a week. Turn in current day and hold what is needed for the next 6 days. The only thing I will need to learn to do is not sell what I am holding to turn in for writs. Wish we could mark gear as not to sell but turn in for writs.

Be safe and have fun :)
  • allhailskippy
    allhailskippy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad you were able to get to is. Still strange that it won't work on your phone though :/
    Hotdog_23 wrote: »
    The only thing I will need to learn to do is not sell what I am holding to turn in for writs. Wish we could mark gear as not to sell but turn in for writs.

This is a very good point. I've developed the habit of looking to see if an item was made by someone before selling. And even then I've occasionally still had to buy stuff back.

As for the Pick up, save and drop off tomorrow technique. I was trying that for a bit. I found there was a few things that made it difficult for me.

1. Trying to remember if I"m on an on day, or an off day.
    2. Trying to remember if I need to do my horse or not.
    3. I still had to do the same amount of thinking about which pieces I needed to make, and it was different each time anyways.
    4. Different alts start at different days. So things get wonky pretty quick.

Not that there's anything wrong with the strategy, I just found it wasn't a particularly good fit for the way I do writs.

I'd definitely recommend trying the switch to single sets. It takes a few times to memorize which sets go with which, but once I had that list in my head, it became very easy to whip through a days worth of crafting. It sound like you've already got the individual sets locked down, so matching them up as a whole should hopefully be quick to pick up.

I also feel like the next update is going to invalidate all but the pre-crafting methods anyways. Which I'm quite excited for. From the sounds of it, we're going to be able to kind of auto-craft based on the active quests, meaning I'll have to do 0% thinking when making a single daily.

I still won't want to do this for all my alts, as the pre-crafting is still faster, but hurray for more QoL improvements in the crafting space!
  • allhailskippy
    allhailskippy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kringled_1 wrote: »
    Well written, hope its helpful for people. What I do (on PC, but without add-ons) is somewhere between your options. I craft 3 days worth of stuff at a time (other than alchemy and provisioning) as yet another level of compromise between efficiency and inventory. Bonus is that it's always the same items, so I don't have to pay attention to which characters are where in the cycle, they just make the same items every time.

I can see why this works. Definitely a reasonable tradeoff of time spent vs bag space. Thanks for sharing!
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm on XB and found that pre-crafting works best for me. But I don't do crafting writs every day any more, except on my main, as it still takes a lot of time loading in/out on alts. So, I've gone to just doing them on the weekend. Since my alts have plenty of bag space, I'll craft 2 of each "set" on a Friday and then am able to turn them in for two weekends. Then, the following weekend I'll craft enough for two more weekends (Fri/Sat/Sun).

I'll try out the new system with the update to see if it works better for me to just go in with each character, pick up the writs, and just go to each station to craft. It may be that I'll still only do them on weekends for all alts, but we'll see if it ends up being faster than pre-crafting. I've got it down pretty well, now, where I don't think in sets (sword, cuirass, greaves, etc.) but rather sword, greatsword, dagger, cuirass, sabatons, gauntlets.... It ends up being faster than creating the sword, cuirass, greaves set, then the greatsword, sabatons, gauntlets set, etc.
  • allhailskippy
    allhailskippy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »
    I'll craft 2 of each "set" on a Friday and then am able to turn them in for two weekends. Then, the following weekend I'll craft enough for two more weekends (Fri/Sat/Sun).

That's a great idea! Wouldn't have occurred to me, since I'm on every day, but that's a fantastic option for the weekend warriors.

It's a limited amount of effort, and you still get 6/14 days worth of stuff for one days work of crafting. I'll def try to add that to the list of routines. Thanks!
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have always wanted to pre craft and have done it for a few chars at some points including just grabbing writs and doing 2x writs per day but inventory space has always been an issue as the alts are mules, mainly for monster gear.
    Now I have a lot more space (dummy guild bank) but still not enough space on all the alts.
    That is about to change with the markath sticker book and I am going to study and follow this guide to the point unless I find a more economical way to do things.

A tip though (although I am not using it right now) is to keep surveys in the bank rather than on an alt. Yes that is a lot of bank space but every alt can dump in the bank. use your chests for gear (atm I am using chests for surveys but will switch when next patch drops.
    Obviously goes without saying that to level an alts crafts it's as easy as dumping all intricate gear you find while playing into the bank and deconstructing on the alt when you do writs.

A point to the guide that could be added is where is the best place in all of tamriel to swiftly do writs and level horses?
    I currently use deshaan for all my chars but the horse journey is too long. I can't think of where the best place to do writs and train horses would be as I only really ever done writs in all EP zones on my main while leveling, first zones on alts, craglorn for max writs then defaulted to deshaan when they allowed us to use any zone for writs.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stinkyremy wrote: »
    I have always wanted to pre craft and have done it for a few chars at some points including just grabbing writs and doing 2x writs per day but inventory space has always been an issue as the alts are mules, mainly for monster gear.
    Now I have a lot more space (dummy guild bank) but still not enough space on all the alts.
    That is about to change with the markath sticker book and I am going to study and follow this guide to the point unless I find a more economical way to do things.

A tip though (although I am not using it right now) is to keep surveys in the bank rather than on an alt. Yes that is a lot of bank space but every alt can dump in the bank. use your chests for gear (atm I am using chests for surveys but will switch when next patch drops.
    Obviously goes without saying that to level an alts crafts it's as easy as dumping all intricate gear you find while playing into the bank and deconstructing on the alt when you do writs.

A point to the guide that could be added is where is the best place in all of tamriel to swiftly do writs and level horses?
    I currently use deshaan for all my chars but the horse journey is too long. I can't think of where the best place to do writs and train horses would be as I only really ever done writs in all EP zones on my main while leveling, first zones on alts, craglorn for max writs then defaulted to deshaan when they allowed us to use any zone for writs.

Vvardenfell probably has the closest horse stable, with a bank, etc... If you are leveling horse training, along with not having the banker, it's probably the best.

If you have the banker and aren't doing horse training, Alinor is probably the quickest.

If you're pre-crafting, it doesn't really matter much where you're at.
    Edited by tmbrinks on October 7, 2020 1:43PM
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • allhailskippy
    allhailskippy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I also used to do this :) Technically I still do, but it's much more organized. I don't play all my alts, but I have designated them all as "going to be a". So for example, one of my alts is "going to be stamplar". And then I have them hold onto all of the related sets as I go along. As long as I don't go too nuts with the sets (I think my healer is the worst.. holding onto almost 10 full sets) there is still enough room to do the optimized version of my crafting still.

I also have a spreadsheet that I use to help keep track of which toon has/needs which pieces of which sets.

It really helped me stay organized about what gear I actually need vs which gear I might need.

Although even with that, all my chests are still full of random gear sets that the sticker book is gonna let me wipe off the map. I am VERY excited for this change :)

There's about 150ish slots used for surveys. When I get them from my alts, I do put them into a bank, but then pull them out on my toon that I used to hold them. He's following the speedy g build from alcast: https://alcasthq.com/eso-fast-gold-farming-build-pve/ so it's best for him to do them vs my other guys anyways. (Or on my main with the ring of the wild hunt.. so many zoomies)

Also, I consider anything in my bank as taking space away not just from one toon, but from all toons. So if you have 10, then those 150 is really like stealing 1500 slots from everyone. Ok, not really, but an over full bank makes it feel like I have to do more inventory management than I already do.

This is exactly what I do :) For jewelry, I also pass along all the white ones (even ornate).

For best location, I prefer Vivec City in Vvardenfell. A lot of people write it off because it's not intuitive like Alinor, but it's got a bunch of perks for me. Number #1. No doors. Anywhere. All stations, Stable, Bank. All out in the open.

I hit the equipment writs board, then if I need to, the clothing, blacksmithing and woodworking (in that order).
    Switch sides of town and pick up the consumables board then the provisioning (it's one of those hlaalu metal stove ones), enchanting, jewelry and alchemy (if needed).
    Then the drop off is just down the docks.
    I like it because there is absolutely no doors anywhere. Banker is there, horse is really close by.
    Also, there's no bard in town, so no annoying repeating songs.
    Heck, even zone chat (on my server) isn't usually too awful.

There are a couple of cons though. If you need any of the following, you have to go into the awful maze of the city.
    - Pack Merchant (I usually max out my alts all at once.. 180k, but they'll pay me back over time)
    - Chef / Brewer (For writ recipes)
    - Outfit station

But I can live with those cons. I tend to start new toons out in Alinor anyways, so they can get certified in Jewelry. So I do the pack merchant and pick up my first recipes while I'm there.

Alinor is a solid second choice (Stable is far, bank has a door), but the crafting section on its own is #1
    Rimmen is third. (Provisioning is in a weird spot, bank has a door)

Not sure of any base game locations that don't have some serious flaws though. Usually it's because they're too spread out.

I might do a new post just talking about the pro's and cons of some of the places to craft across Tamriel though. So ty for the suggestions / feedback!
  • Feric51
    Feric51
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure of any base game locations that don't have some serious flaws though. Usually it's because they're too spread out.

My favorite base game location for crafting writs and horse training is Velyn Harbor in Malabal Tor.

The three material crafts are under a single, small, open air building. Jewelry, enchanting and alchemy are just a few meters away (through a door) in the Mage's Guild hall. Bank is the next building (also a door) and has a cooking fire next to the banker.

The writ turn in is extremely close, and the stable is right next to the writ turn in.

Pros:
    - Everything in a very small area
    - Low population "town" so fast login load times
    - Separate pre- / post-quest instances

Cons:
    - Quest-gated with aggressive npcs (quest requires about 10-20 minutes to complete)
    - No guild traders
    - Doors (2)

This is by far my favorite area to do daily writs on alts. The quest-gate is a bit of a pain, but it's a one-time deal for each character. Turn-in site and stable proximity make this convenient and seems to have much faster login times that somewhere like Alinor or Vivec (XB-NA).
    Feric51
    Xbox NA

Darkness Falls: The Crusade survivor (you young kids will never know the struggle of text-based games)

• BenevolentBowd
    BenevolentBowd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are doing writs on consoles, I have created a tool for you to calculate and summarize all the items needed to pre-make daily writs for up to 15 days.

http://benevolentbowd.ca/apps/eso-craftingwrit-calc.php

The easiest number of days to pre-makeis 9 days. Just make 3 of the blacksmithing, clothing, enchanting, jewel crafting, and woodworking items requested for the first 3 days of the writ (if you don't want to use the tool). This will be much easier after the next update with the filters to be implemented at the crafting tables.

Since the alchemy and provisioning stuff are stackable and can be made by any account, make a stack (size up to you) of the 4 - 8 alchemy recipes and the 6 provisioning recipes.

Best to have all the provisioning writ crafters at the same level save on inventory space. I recommend having them at the max proficiency level as it only takes 5 minutes, 2700g, and 5 skill points to level to rank 50. Alliance faction only matter if the crafter is between proficiency 1 to 3.

My favourite crafting location is Vivec City. No doors, no loading screens, and I can get free reagents from the shadowy supplier after turning my writs in nearby.
    Megaservers: PC NA / EU (sometimes) Xbox NA (sometimes)
    Luxury Furniture Gallery [PC/NA]: Moon-Sugar Meadow
    Website:BenevolentBowd.ca, "Sharing My Notes With the World to Help Others"
    Charity:#GivingTheNewMeta
    ESO Calendarmancer: http://benevolentbowd.ca/calendar (10+ timezones to choose from)
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/BenevolentBowd
    #TeamStackableTreasureMaps
  • allhailskippy
    allhailskippy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feric51 wrote: »
    Low population "town" so fast login load times

Definitely out of the way.. most of the time I'm spending on this is in the loading screen, so if it's consistently faster, even by 20-30 seconds.. that's a huge time saving.
    Feric51 wrote: »
    No guild traders

Ah yes, one of other nice perks of Vivec City. One of my favourite traders spots :)

I'll definitely try out Velyn Harbor. Might be worth the quest gate for alts. Thanks for the tips!
  • allhailskippy
    allhailskippy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are doing writs on consoles, I have created a tool for you to calculate and summarize all the items needed to pre-make daily writs for up to 15 days.

The easiest number of days to pre-makeis 9 days. Just make 3 of the blacksmithing, clothing, enchanting, jewel crafting, and woodworking items requested for the first 3 days of the writ (if you don't want to use the tool). This will be much easier after the next update with the filters to be implemented at the crafting tables.

Since the alchemy and provisioning stuff are stackable and can be made by any account, make a stack (size up to you) of the 4 - 8 alchemy recipes and the 6 provisioning recipes.

Best to have all the provisioning writ crafters at the same level save on inventory space. I recommend having them at the max proficiency level as it only takes 5 minutes, 2700g, and 5 skill points to level to rank 50. Alliance faction only matter if the crafter is between proficiency 1 to 3.

My favourite crafting location is Vivec City. No doors, no loading screens, and I can get free reagents from the shadowy supplier after turning my writs in nearby.

That's a handy dandy little tool ya got there :)

Good to know my favourite spot is BenevolentBowd approved.

Also, unrelated, but thanks for all the work you do with the luxury vendor. It's invaluable to us housing folks, and is greatly appreciated! I check it every weekend :D
  • doomette
    doomette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a couple of cons though. If you need any of the following, you have to go into the awful maze of the city.
    - Pack Merchant (I usually max out my alts all at once.. 180k, but they'll pay me back over time)
    - Outfit station
    -Constant gurgling of NPCs being murdered
    -Always seems to have a few dingdongs dueling right in the middle of the crafting zone

But I agree, Vivec City is the best. I do sometimes switch it up and go to Rimmen if I don’t need mount training. Awesome bard is there and the tables are in an alphabetical circle (minus alchemy and provisioning but I maintain a stack of those ones).
  • allhailskippy
    allhailskippy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    doomette wrote: »
    - Outfit station
    -Constant gurgling of NPCs being murdered
    -Always seems to have a few dingdongs dueling right in the middle of the crafting zone

But I agree, Vivec City is the best. I do sometimes switch it up and go to Rimmen if I don’t need mount training. Awesome bard is there and the tables are in an alphabetical circle (minus alchemy and provisioning but I maintain a stack of those ones).

Ah yes, the constant gurgle and fighting folks are a definite con. Fortunately I've tuned both of those out already.

Only thing that still drives me a bit nuts is the pets that block the drop off boxes. But I suspect that may be an issue everywhere.
  • dddy8122
    dddy8122
    Soul Shriven
    Great guide, very helpful for newer crafters like myself. :)
    Psn. Dddy8
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Simple but great tool
    thanks man.