The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Sorc vs NB vs Necro

washbern
washbern
✭✭✭✭
Hey guys, i'm trying to decide which character to main. I have been playing Sorc for a while and it has grown rather stale for me. I am mostly interested in soloing content. I know that Sorc is deemed the king of solo right now, but i looked over some of the NB skills and couldn't understand the true difference. Is Sorc only easier because of the pets? I played some Necro and i must say that as much as i love his ultimate and blast bones, i struggle with tethers. they bug out on me all the time. That brought me to the NB class.

So, to finish off, is Nightblade a really hard class to pick up? Do they lose a lot of ruggedness compared to Necro and Sorc? Can NB do Stam and Magica as well as a Necro and Sorc?

Thank you so much for your time!
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've played magsorc, magblade, stamblade, and stam necro. Never played mag necro, so can't cover that. Right off, you will be missing the strong shields you get with a sorc as well as burst healing with these other classes. Both magblades and stamblades have sustain/healing skills where causing damage heals and/or sustains you. This is where most struggle when picking up nightblades as your rotations are typically dynamic with different timers that you have to maintain in order to get the best damage and keep alive. Magblades right now have the edge on stamblades in terms of damage.

Necros are also a bit different than the traditional roles. The stam necro has sustain issues you will need to overcome when you first start playing, as well as finding a happy medium between health and stamina resource pools. They are heavily reliant on orbs and shards in group play. The rotation is wonky at first as you need to keep the tether up to keep your damage up to keep your sustain up. You do get vigor as a burst heal, and you get other heals that are mag based backups for stamina if you want. All that said, their ultimate is the strongest in the game and are very easy to play once you understand how to play them. I know that sounds oversimplistic, but if you play around with the necro, you'll understand.

Out of the three, I don't really have a favorite. I am running my magblade the most of the three, but that's only because I haven't played with it in a long time.
  • universal_wrath
    universal_wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorcerer is great for solo due to 2 things or skills actualy. First is pets which can taunt enemies for you, meaning you recieve little damage for enemies. Second us critucal surge, this skill grant between 3-5k healing every secs if you do critidal damage. Most important aspects of solo is survivability, and sorcerer is great at that.

Nightblade is not a bad class for solo by any means, it is just different playstyle. Magicka nightblade do heal whenever they do damage. It is just that you lose a lot of survivability because every enemeis is did focused on trying to kill you.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The sorcerer shield advantage isn't that great, because you can always run Harness/Dampen Magicka if you choose. That said, if I solo on a sorcerer and spend two skill bar slots on a Matriarch, I have a very nice burst heal. The 10 second duration of Empowered Ward also makes things a bit more relaxing.

The idea that a sorcerer or warden pet does some tanking for you often works out in practice.

The sorcerer and nightblade execute skills are fun.

The nightblade Major Evasion skill is great in fights with unavoidable ground-based AoEs.

All classes hit hard enough for solo purposes.

A magcro needs the melee-range scythe skill to have strong passive healing. That can be annoying.
  • Icaruzs
    Icaruzs
    ✭✭✭
    The thing about sorc aside from pets, is crit surge (free power up and heals while you hit things) and shields (you can stack with light armor shield). I'm not even touching on the matriarch best burst heal in the game.

On my sorc i use empowered ward so my shield last for 10 seconds, that's very comfortable and i get minor intelect with that too!

I always do vMA, and the vMA with ny magnecro was the hardest, as with sorc was the easiest.

The best solo classes are mag sorc, mag templar and mag NB and mag wardens can do well too

In the end just play what you feel comfortable. That will make the class easier for you.
    Edited by Icaruzs on September 30, 2020 4:13AM
  • washbern
    washbern
    ✭✭✭✭
    thanks so much for your replies guys!
  • Wandering_Immigrant
    Wandering_Immigrant
    ✭✭✭✭
    The sorcerer shield advantage isn't that great, because you can always run Harness/Dampen Magicka if you choose.

Well sorcerer's shield advantage isn't that thier shield is supposed to be stronger, it's that they're the only class that can double-bar a full strength shield. Effectively giving you a shield equal to 100-120% of your max health rather than being capped at 60%. It also allows you to keep a shield up full time without wasting resources on recasting before the shield is broken by alternating between harness/dampen and ward.

Other classes could do similar if they really wanted by combining harness/dampen with the healing staff shield. But that's generally a weaker shield and also requires you to equip a healing staff, which none of these 3 classes would otherwise need in solo play.