The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Improving Kjalnar's Nightmare

Cloudless
Cloudless
✭✭✭✭✭
Sup,
let me begin by saying: I love Kjalnar's Nightmare. I love the way the effect looks, I love that I can "make it" proc rather than "hope for it" to proc as long as I keep up a reasonably good rotation. And did I mention I love the way the effect looks?
The problem is... the set is pretty much useless, as far as the meta goes. Not useful in PvP outside of duels (and even then, I mean... people can and will dodge your light attacks, and the bone stacks don't really last long enough to make up for a missed light attack or two), and in PvE right now the meta for magicka builds seems to be Maw of the Infernal - which I find fun to use on some charcters, but it's sad to pigeonhole every magicka build into using it - and I do enjoy "themed" sets with themed effects, so suddenly the fact that it's daedroth season for everyone from templars to necromancers just feels... off.

I've been stubbornly using Kjalnar in PvE and wondering on how to make it maybe a bit less undesirable compared to the more meta stuff, maybe without making it over-OP to the point of people complaining about it in PvP.

The one thing that could work, somehow, is make those 5 bone stacks something more than just... well, stacks. We already have sets that apply an effect to the target upon light/heavy attacking, e.g. Relequen, and also sets that change the way your abilities work on the target you just attacked, e.g. Spell Strategist.
So why not use that? It could be something minor, like each bone stack increasing your spell damage against the target by 50 for each stack - that would be 200 more spell damage upon reaching four stacks, with the fifth proccing the set's effect and resetting the spell damage bonus.
Oor, to go more on the Relequen-like side, each stack could deal 300 (too low?) magic damage every second until you hit the fifth again, and then reset.
Would be nice if the bone stacks could stack on a successful heavy attack as well, but... I feel like this could already be a nice, non-game breaking change.

Come on, I can't be the only one who loves that bony hand. :p