The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Please help me decide if single character is viable

washbern
washbern
✭✭✭✭
Hello everyone!

I want to start out by saying that i am not the best player and am not looking to be doing top tier anything in this game. I also do not trust myself to heal or tank anything. That said, here is my dilemma: I want to play a single character without getting bored. This means variety of builds, good class identity and excellent viability in both Stam and Mag.

I currently have a Brettan Magsorc on which i have unlocked quite a bit of the game. I have grown bored with the (what feels to me in my inexperience) limited scope of possible builds. So here are my questions:

1) Is it worth race changing my sorc to a Dark Elf, flipping him over to Stam just to see if the grass is greener?
2) Would i be better served by a different class that can easily flip flop between stam and mag and offer a variety of builds on either? (i.e. Necro / Templar)
3) Is it better to have a single mag class and a single stam class instead?

Please help! I really love this game but i also love change.
  • ZaroktheImmortal
    ZaroktheImmortal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) Depends what you want them for. Stam builds seem to do well in pvp not sure. Stam builds seem less reliable in pve content. But dark elves are a good race for being able to do either stam or magika since they have racial perks for both.
    2. Again depends what you want. Templar I found is the easiest class to solo content on and also make great healers if you want to ever do that role. Necromancers have some fun abilities and some of the best animations for the abilities and though I know stam necromancers can deal a lot of damage in pve content you're still trying to work with stam builds which I find less reliable. Not sure how well Magika Necromancers do but someone was saying to me they do have abilities that give buffs/debuffs that can help a group a lot but I haven't really tried it too much yet. My main toon is my templar healer which can work well enough to get me through pve content easily even on a healer build.
    3. Again depends what you want to do. If you want to do crafting writs to make gold you benefit more having multiple toons. Also can give you a chance to try out different builds/roles/classes
  • The_Camper
    The_Camper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Step 1: Make a Dark elf/Argonian
    Step 2: Make it either a warden/templar
    Step 3: ????
    Step 4: Profit
  • washbern
    washbern
    ✭✭✭✭
    1) Depends what you want them for. Stam builds seem to do well in pvp not sure. Stam builds seem less reliable in pve content. But dark elves are a good race for being able to do either stam or magika since they have racial perks for both.
    2. Again depends what you want. Templar I found is the easiest class to solo content on and also make great healers if you want to ever do that role. Necromancers have some fun abilities and some of the best animations for the abilities and though I know stam necromancers can deal a lot of damage in pve content you're still trying to work with stam builds which I find less reliable. Not sure how well Magika Necromancers do but someone was saying to me they do have abilities that give buffs/debuffs that can help a group a lot but I haven't really tried it too much yet. My main toon is my templar healer which can work well enough to get me through pve content easily even on a healer build.
    3. Again depends what you want to do. If you want to do crafting writs to make gold you benefit more having multiple toons. Also can give you a chance to try out different builds/roles/classes

Thank you for speedy reply. The main thing i want to do is have fun and not get my toon grow stale as i believe my Magsorc has simply due to lack of options available to him. So in my head i imagine playing (for arguments sake) as a single build on mag. Then when i get bored, use a few scrolls, switch to stam and play a bit on that. Or stay on mag and completely change sets around to make my gameplay feel different even if slightly so.

I am not going to trials but i want to have goals to work towards other than doing dailies. This means hunting new sets, making new builds out of them. I love watching Hack the Minotaur because he has some of the most interesting build ideas for classes. That said, there seems to be only 1 viable agreed upon Magsorc build. that's what made me think on the whole build variety on stam and mag and which class can offer that.
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magsorc PvE DPS can play 2 pets or 1 pet or no pet for DPS, and healer has a few options. You can also try an all-DoT build without a spammable, or the common heavy attack lightning staff build

I do world bosses on my no-pet Dual Wield magsorc, and it's pretty fun

Making a second character will offer you MUCH more ease of switching from one build to another. It's also pretty much free, but of course you can't get a "real" sense for a class til getting to level 50 and unlocking the skills you need. I've become as attached or more to all my characters as I was to my first. The different classes have a lot to offer, and each class can play mag or stam right now, no exception.

I find dragon knight, nightblade, & magsorc to offer the most different skill builds in one class, but really the classes all offer something different

As you probably know, Dunmer and Khajiit have good race passives for Mag or Stam, so are great races for any class if you care about the passives and want the option swap
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are at or above CP160, level some Alts. I know you say you want a single character, but you also don't want things to be stale. An Alt is the best way to keep things fresh.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I only played one class and wanted to be able to respec between mag & stam and be comfortable with both, I'd go with either sorc or warden. I'm very pleased with both of them in either stam or mag roles. Both are durable and flexible.

As far as race goes, for the goals you profess, it is overrated. All my mages and archers are Bosmer and they do fine in both roles. Specifically, even though Bosmer are considered a stam race, my mages do great and I'd change games before changing races.

Let me offer you how I approach my character - it may be of interest/use to you. In my head, I only play one character - a tiny Bosmer who is good with bow, magic and hates melee weaponry. I've been playing her since 2007 (Oblivion, Skyrim, ESO). In ESO she exists as half a dozen variants. All are identical except for class. Her approach to a play session is to decide which class to play that session as casually as she decides her outfit or hairstyle for the day. One session she's a magic templar healer; the next time she goes out, she grabs her bows and does so as a stam sorc archer. I view this as rather than respeccing the same character, simply logging out and in on a respecced variant.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • washbern
    washbern
    ✭✭✭✭
    thanks so much! I'd totally do the same thing as you but seeing an unfinished map and ungathered sky shards inflames my OCD.

Its funny how fluid the sorc felt a few patches ago. Now I find it really wonky. Still he is my main crafter and adventurer.