The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Monster set armor type question

KaGaOri
KaGaOri
✭✭✭✭
About to put first monster set on my magsorc and have question about armor type. It seems people prefer heavy head + medium shoulder. Is there a reason for it? My toon already has heavy chest (Julianos) - would it matter if I'd kept it and went medium head + light shoulder? Or would it be preferable to switch chest for light (already have it too) and go heavy head + medium shoulder like everybody else?
  • Mobius0
    Mobius0
    ✭✭✭
    First of all, head and shoulder are the same armor value, so don't get caught in the misbelief that helm should be the heavier of the two.

The only reason most people mix up their armor like that, is for undaunted passive. Since you already have heavy chest (which is ideal), then I would simply open boxes until you get a medium or light shoulder piece, and then get your helm last. If you get light shoulders then get medium helm, and if you get medium shoulders get light helm.
  • Astrid
    Astrid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usually heavy + medium monster set is because as a magicka character you should be running 5 pieces light to get all your light armour passives. Usually this is done on the body pieces of Chest, legs, arms, waist and feet (with likes of Mothers Sorrow, False Gods, Spell Strategist to name a few) Then heavy and medium each respectfully as the above said about the undaunted passive. If you’re running crafted sets you have a little bit more freedom as it can be crafted in any weight you want. 🙂

Truthfully I’d recraft your body to be light if you’re going to be staying in PvE and going for the farmable sets so you don’t have to try and get another helm later on when you do move away from crafted, but if you’re not too bothered in the meantime I wouldn’t worry too much about it.
    Edited by Astrid on September 21, 2020 1:20AM
  • KaGaOri
    KaGaOri
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you both. Actually already have light chest crafted + golded out. Made that heavy one as replacement to get higher defense stats. Now it's only matter of what caves first - RNG or my patience, since the game thinks my toon needs whole collection of medium Ilambris head pieces. Or I settle for Slimecraw or Iceheart - that dropped for me heavy on first and second try.