Update 43 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of July 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – July 29

Riddle Scavenger Hunt

JohnnieKBaller
Hello everybody,

I've been running a riddle based scavenger hunt through the month of September for my guild. Shortly after it was started, it was recommended to me that I share it with the forums. After some more nudging, here I am.

Since it's an ongoing event, I can't share the in-game riddles just yet, but I did several test runs leading up to it and they'll serve the purpose. If there's enough of you interested, I'll release the event riddles for you to use with your own guilds. In the meantime, here are some riddles that helped me hone the riddles used in-game:
Note: Many of these are in DLC as I saved the base game riddles for the actual event as to not exclude anyone.

"In Northern lands of city reborn
A people live oft forsworn
Before the crafty of rugged lands
A mighty prince of Daedra stands"

"Before new lands unveiled themselves
Adventures began for beasts and elves
Upon the land below the shore
Named for sky and ancient roar
O'er the place where wind is caught
Here a catcher of rat does trot"
(Ended up settling on a four-line format after this one)

"Challengers of old can still be found
Frozen in time, standing their ground
For clearly the victor has always been
The Ruins own custodian"

"To save the court of wilderqueen
Complete a quest with heart of green
Within a palace, overgrown
Find the use within the stone"

"Anchor falls upon the ship
Try as it may to find its grip
No sailors found, but Mourn not!
For warriors wait to foil Bal's plot"

"As Strife abounds and grips the lands
Where Tamriel causes brands
Fire spews and stones do fall
About the brothers in their brawl"

Anyway, I'll leave you with these and see if it's anything anyone would be interested in.

The way I've been running it is by releasing a new riddle each odd day of the month (there were 2 on the 15th to total 16 by month's end). My players must send me a screenshot of the solution, and I pay them 1k gold for every correct submission. At the end of it all, the winner (first to solve all 16) gets 1 million gold, a bunch of runeboxes of pets, emotes, costumes, a few gold motif books, and other goodies.

Admittedly, I haven't had more than a handful of people participate thus far, but perhaps it can benefit you. And hey, if there's enough positive feedback on here, maybe I'll write and run a communal event for the forums.

Thanks for reading!
-JKB
  • JohnnieKBaller
    Welp, the event is over. Would anyone care to take a stab at these riddles or even the ones from the event? No? Cool, cool.
    Options
  • ectoplasmicninja
    ectoplasmicninja
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll take a stab. I'm not near my PC though so these are best guesses from a vacuum.

In Northern lands of city reborn - This is definitely the Malacath statue near the Trial By Fire crafting station in Wrothgar, and this is the only answer I'm sure of.

Before new lands unveiled themselves - Is this the Laughing Moons Plantation in Khenarthi's Roost? It's the one with the skeever infestation, so makes sense with the catcher of rats.

Challengers of old can still be found - Kinda sounds like the Ruins of Mazzatun, the statues in the final boss arena?

To save the court of wilderqueen - This is somewhere in Greenshade. Greenheart...the abandoned Manor. Something in there? It's definitely an overgrown palace if I've ever seen one.

Anchor falls upon the ship - I can't decide if this is a reference to the Shad Astula boat in Mournhold or the Lost Fleet in Coldharbour. Or an entirely different third option I have not thought of.

As Strife abounds and grips the lands - This is something somewhere near the Brothers of Strife landmark in Stonefalls.
    PC NA, CP2200+. Character creation is the true endgame.
    Options
  • JohnnieKBaller
    I'll take a stab. I'm not near my PC though so these are best guesses from a vacuum.

In Northern lands of city reborn - This is definitely the Malacath statue near the Trial By Fire crafting station in Wrothgar, and this is the only answer I'm sure of.

Before new lands unveiled themselves - Is this the Laughing Moons Plantation in Khenarthi's Roost? It's the one with the skeever infestation, so makes sense with the catcher of rats.

Challengers of old can still be found - Kinda sounds like the Ruins of Mazzatun, the statues in the final boss arena?

To save the court of wilderqueen - This is somewhere in Greenshade. Greenheart...the abandoned Manor. Something in there? It's definitely an overgrown palace if I've ever seen one.

Anchor falls upon the ship - I can't decide if this is a reference to the Shad Astula boat in Mournhold or the Lost Fleet in Coldharbour. Or an entirely different third option I have not thought of.

As Strife abounds and grips the lands - This is something somewhere near the Brothers of Strife landmark in Stonefalls.

Whoops, didn't see this.

You're correct on the first.

You're almost correct on the second. Since this was a screenshot contest, players had to travel to Windcatcher Plantation and take a screenshot of a cat that walks around the plantation. Just about everywhere it goes, there are dead rats that it's caught.

The third was an early trial, so not refined very well. It refers to the Frozen Ruins in the Rift. I think I got better at writing the riddles after a few tests...

The fourth one you knew where to go. There were actually 2 acceptable answers to this one. The first is as you traverse the tunnels below the manor, there's a throne that prompts players to use. The second is above ground within the manor, which is a random fireplace that has a provisioning station in it.

Well played on number 5, though you were off. It's the Mournoth Dolmen just outside of Mournoth Keep.

The final riddle was a rework of one of my guild members who wanted to try her hand at it. Personally, I never noticed the actual statue of the two brothers before... In my defense, I don't spend a lot of time in Stonefalls...

I won't even tell you how long it was before someone pointed out "The Weeping Giant" to me...

Anyway, @ectoplasmicninja, thank you for giving it a whirl. I hope that these answers are satisfactory. I'd love your feedback on the event riddles themselves if you're interested.

Thanks for playing my game.
    Options