The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Character Pathing Elevation Change Issue

MinuitPro
MinuitPro
✭✭✭✭
Does anyone know if there are plans to fix the elevation change bug with pathing where the object does not follow the path precisely but hugs the floor/lowest object until it's about 80% of the way to the next node and then snaps to that elevation?

We could see it during Gina's preview of pathing but it wasn't fixed yet and I want to be able to make certain object (pets) fly around but they are very glitchy.
  • Shadowspawn42
    Shadowspawn42
    ✭✭✭
    I’m having the same issue. Was planning to make my dragon imp fly up and land on a tree but it is just not working. It also keeps randomly disappearing.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do they path like regular NPCs going up or down stairs or differently?

I cannot recall an NPC that paths on stairs but I am sure there are some. If they path as they do in-game then that probably answers the question.

Edit: There is a Wayrest Guard in the Wayrest Castle that paths the stairs. See if they path similarly.

2nd Edit: I just set a path for an assistant to go up and downstairs. It is a smooth transit and is similar to that guard in Wayrest. They do not step on each stair and neither does our character. There is likely just an angle that our characters and NPCs take.
    Edited by idk on September 18, 2020 2:26AM
  • MinuitPro
    MinuitPro
    ✭✭✭✭
    A agree that anyone using stairs has an acceptably forgiving motion to complete the path. I'm more concerned with objects that have a path in the air; they are still tethered to the ground (or highest object under them) until they almost get to the destination node.

I will upload a video later which demonstrates this. I have display cases with a pocket watcher floating over them - it keeps jumping up and down as it passes instead of a smooth glide over them all.
  • MinuitPro
    MinuitPro
    ✭✭✭✭
    Here's a demonstration of my path vs the game's path as executed.

https://youtu.be/k4pvUO-LU4U
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am probably seeing things wrong but it seems the pathing is going over furnishings vs normal flooring/stairs/ramps. If I am seeing correctly then I do not think Zos will make changes to accommodate such possibilities.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I haven’t tried doing this yet, but isn’t the watcher supposed to follow the pink line at that exact height?

If so, it looks like the furnishings cause the watcher to drop in the space between instead. Hard to say for sure because I don’t see the path over just open floor.

Perhaps it senses the height change along the path and tries to correct for it and goes the wrong way. I am not sure why it would care if there was an object beneath it if it’s supposed to follow the path.

?
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven’t tried doing this yet, but isn’t the watcher supposed to follow the pink line at that exact height?

You are on to something. The first test that needs to be done is to set a path for the watcher at several different heights with the ground being level. If the watcher has a specific height or range it can be above the ground then the issue is solved.
  • MinuitPro
    MinuitPro
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you @ZOS_RobGarrett for delivering that fix information on stream today!

https://clips.twitch.tv/SarcasticHonorableLegOneHand
  • AdamBourke
    AdamBourke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope that the abilty to turn this on/off is per node. I have issues where I want my pony to run under something and then up some stairs - I don't want this solution to mean I can have it run under something but not go up the stairs properly!
    PS4 - EU

Please put the Eyevea/EarthForge wayshrines back on the map?
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    idk wrote: »

You are on to something. The first test that needs to be done is to set a path for the watcher at several different heights with the ground being level. If the watcher has a specific height or range it can be above the ground then the issue is solved.

I hope someone can try this, I am so busy grinding for Solitude plans and paintings and Antiquities that I do not foresee playing around with pathing for a long time.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA