The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Returning player trying to find info on changes

Stinkyremy
Stinkyremy
✭✭✭✭✭
I have only got back into the game after 2 years, there is so much new content, sets and changes. I can't go through all the patch notes so I'm asking here.

I'm looking online about things and it seems that 2h weapons are a viable option in PvE now is this true?
PvP skill lines got changed and rapids takes longer to get was there a reason for this?
Apparently caltrops is no longer needed to be used by a PvE stam dps any more, why?
Does a stam dps still need to use vigor?
Are the other PvP skills useful in PvE like magika detonation and purge? I already know warhorn is fine.
I have noticed (only mainly looked at my DK) that skills that used to CC do not do CC any more. Is this an overall change for every class?

There are probably more questions I need answering so will post them in the thread if you guys can help me.
If you can think of anything noteworthy that has changed since summerset release please let me know.

Thanks in advance

Edited by Stinkyremy on September 17, 2020 5:23PM
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stinkyremy wrote: »
    I have only got back into the game after 2 years, there is so much new content, sets and changes. I can't go through all the patch notes so I'm asking here.

I'm looking online about things and it seems that 2h weapons are a viable option in PvE now is this true?
    PvP skill lines got changed and rapids takes longer to get was there a reason for this?
    Apparently caltrops is no longer needed to be used by a PvE stam dps any more, why?
    Are the other PvP skills useful in PvE like magika detonation and purge? I already know warhorn is fine.
    I have noticed (only mainly looked at my DK) that skills that used to CC do not do CC any more. Is this an overall change for every class?

There are probably more questions I need answering so will post them in the thread if you guys can help me.
    If you can think of anything noteworthy that has changed since summerset release please let me know.

Thanks in advance

Of course the best thing to do would be to dive into patch notes for most of this.

2h weapons are a viable option in PvE now is this true? It is more true than it used to be. The DPS potential between 2H and DW is much closer than it used to be. Viable is of course, subjective.

PvP skill lines got changed and rapids takes longer to get was there a reason for this? Money grab from ZOS under the guise of making it easier to level stam toons. Of course, they want skill line and riding lessons purchased from the Crown Store.

Apparently caltrops is no longer needed to be used by a PvE stam dps any more, why? Damage was nerfed. It does apply major fracture, so it has its uses, but you never need more than one person running it. For ST DPS, its not worth a slot.

Does a stam dps still need to use vigor? If they need a heal, its the best available.

Are the other PvP skills useful in PvE like magika detonation and purge? I already know warhorn is fine. You do see prox det used in trash pulls, but thats about it. Purge has its uses, but very situational.

I have noticed (only mainly looked at my DK) that skills that used to CC do not do CC any more. Is this an overall change for every class? They have done a lot to attempt balance and standardized CCs and well just about everything else (DOT strength, duration, etc). Two years is a long time in this game. Lot's of things have changed.

If you want to be up to date on the meta, I would at least browse the patch notes of the last two patches.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on September 17, 2020 5:32PM
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks in advance

Of course the best thing to do would be to dive into patch notes for most of this.

2h weapons are a viable option in PvE now is this true? It is more true than it used to be. The DPS potential between 2H and DW is much closer than it used to be. Viable is of course, subjective.

PvP skill lines got changed and rapids takes longer to get was there a reason for this? Money grab from ZOS under the guise of making it easier to level stam toons. Of course, they want skill line and riding lessons purchased from the Crown Store.

Apparently caltrops is no longer needed to be used by a PvE stam dps any more, why? Damage was nerfed. It does apply major fracture, so it has its uses, but you never need more than one person running it. For ST DPS, its not worth a slot.

Does a stam dps still need to use vigor? If they need a heal, its the best available.

Are the other PvP skills useful in PvE like magika detonation and purge? I already know warhorn is fine. You do see prox det used in trash pulls, but thats about it. Purge has its uses, but very situational.

I have noticed (only mainly looked at my DK) that skills that used to CC do not do CC any more. Is this an overall change for every class? They have done a lot to attempt balance and standardized CCs and well just about everything else (DOT strength, duration, etc). Two years is a long time in this game. Lot's of things have changed.

If you want to be up to date on the meta, I would at least browse the patch notes of the last two patches.

Thanks for the solid reply.
    I would look at the patch notes but 2 years is a bit too much to sift through. I'm not concerned about meta right now as I have enough content to do solo. Next major patch and next DLC I will concern myself with meta. I haven't even learned warden class yet let alone necro!
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks in advance

Thanks for the solid reply.
    I would look at the patch notes but 2 years is a bit too much to sift through. I'm not concerned about meta right now as I have enough content to do solo. Next major patch and next DLC I will concern myself with meta. I haven't even learned warden class yet let alone necro!

You may want to peak at the recent patch notes, and the one before for the Chapter release. Pretty big changes. That should bring you up to speed. A lot of older sets were reworked as well. Some useless stuff is now pretty powerful. If you simply read the chapter patch notes once a year, you will be ahead of most.