The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

1 week test with grouping totally disabled

Ranger209
Ranger209
✭✭✭✭✭
Wish they would do a week with only grouping totally disabled, no cool downs, no cost ramping, just not grouping. I would be curious to know the effect that and that alone would have on reducing certain kinds of spam, as well as how much less server traffic there would be from addons that track group buffs and things of that nature. Those things are bouncing data back and forth to group members constantly thru the server. No group synergies, no group buffs, that are group only. I would find it interesting.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i would Love this.
    zenimaxpleasedothis!
    and yes i am serious. i Hate groups especially in pvp.
    it will absolutely lower lagg and you guys know it.
    less people in small areas = less lagg
    even the devs know its true.
    Edited by Gilvoth on September 8, 2020 10:57PM
  • dsalter
    dsalter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ranger209 wrote: »
    Wish they would do a week with only grouping totally disabled, no cool downs, no cost ramping, just not grouping. I would be curious to know the effect that and that alone would have on reducing certain kinds of spam, as well as how much less server traffic there would be from addons that track group buffs and things of that nature. Those things are bouncing data back and forth to group members constantly thru the server. No group synergies, no group buffs, that are group only. I would find it interesting.

i came here expecting "ball groups nerf" but tbh you make a lot of sense, addons are defo a balance and performance issue that plagues even WoW so if this can be tested and controlled to see just how much so they impact performance by disabling them for a week or even just a weekend i'd be onboard with giving it a whirl.
    PLEASE REPLY TO ME WITH @dsalter otherwise i'm likely to miss the reply if its not my own thread

EU - [Arch Mage Dave] Altmer Sorcerer
    Fight back at the crates and boxes, together we can change things.

• NightSky
    NightSky
    ✭✭✭
    Might be a fun event, we can see how it can affect the overall server - lag wise. Like people been saying, less people in one location the better performance.
    "For everything you gain, you lose something else."
  • Tammany
    Tammany
    ✭✭✭✭
    There was a time with group invite being bugged, cyro ran perfectly due to no ballgroups around.
    No need to test this again.
  • hacker725x
    hacker725x
    ✭✭
    yeah
    like battleground.......
  • Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually this would be the opposite of battlegrounds. In battle grounds you are put into a group but have no control over who with. In this test, as described above, you have complete control with who you group with, you just aren't put into an actual group. People running together with voice comms have a distinct organizational advantage over those not using comms, whether there is an in game group function or not. In other words you can group up and run together as a group using comms even if the game doesn't recognize the fact that you are in a group.

Honestly some of the group addons that people use in Cyrodiil are a cheat code for pvp akin to Miat's. They aren't to the same degree, or as ridiculously offensive as Miat's, but no one is supposed to have omniscient awareness of their entire groups buffs, layers of healing, Ultimate status, etc. that many of these organized groups now have available to them.

I fight in large scale pvp battles all the time without being in a group, you don't need to be in a group in game to fight in large scale pvp battles. You just need to show up where the action is.
  • merevie
    merevie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So this happened by accident in the past. We had two days no one could group.
    The results were a lot less lag. That was epic.

But... experienced groups utterly dominated -far more than usual. Not having groups is going to disadvantage new and casuals far more.

A lot of people outside the US have to play without addons already due to lag-they are not suddenly going to be less effective.

People who play together for years can be blind drunk and still know what their idiot friend is going to do if certain situations present themselves and already be in position to mitigate it.

Anyone who plays all the classes knows what their group members will need/what damage is likely incoming etc -they don't need a group program to tell them.

In IC this week experience trumped zergs and experience trumped composition.

Taking groups to 12 is the way forward - 12 is killable but also gives enough flexibility for fun play. The healing/buff changes should do most of the rest.

The community response to Aoe changes is already clear by the numbers in Pvp -that won't fly.
  • RDMyers65b14_ESO
    RDMyers65b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have had that as a bug. It worked OK for my PVP guild. We still ran and had fun.

• Ghostbane
    Ghostbane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Group data within addons is typically shared through map pings, which is only accessible if you are in the group. Any detriment that could exist, would only effect the group in question.
    {★★★★★ · ★★★★★ · ★★ · ★★★★★}
    350m+ AP PC - EU
    AD :: Imported Waffles [37]EP :: Wee ee ee ee ee [16]DC :: Ghostbane's DK [16], Impending Loadscreen [12]PC - NA
    AD :: Ghostbane [50], yer ma [43], Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 2.0 [18], robotic baby legs [18]EP :: Wee Mad Arthur [50], avast ye buttcrackz [49], Sir Horace Foghorn [27], Brother Ballbag [24], Scatman John [16]DC :: W T B Waffles [36], Morale Boost [30], W T F Waffles [17], Ghostbanë [15]RIPAD :: Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 1.0 [20]
    Addons
  • Zabagad
    Zabagad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) Add-on is maybe an issue, but for sure not the issue, bc the same problems exists on xbox/ps4 too.
    2) I think group play should exist in Cyro, so the final solution should never be without groups.

Despite those 2 points - I absolutely support your idea and would love to see this test.
    But, just to find out which amount of the lag problems is comming from that part. If there is a "big" impact they should analyze deeper and find solutions without killing group play as a whole.
    PC EU (noCP AD) Grey/Grau AD
  • Tranquilizer
    Tranquilizer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Right after ZOS changed a lot of abilities to only affect group members ?
  • AbraXuSeXile
    AbraXuSeXile
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why play an AvAvA game if you hate groups.

AbraXuS
    Grand Overlord Rank 50 [First EU]
    Clan Leader of eXile
    Gaming Community - Est. 1999
    Crashing an EP Wedding | DK Emp | 1vX | Between Enemy Lines | Hate Video | 5 v Many

• TwinLamps
    TwinLamps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No matter what they find out after all these tests, group size in ESO should be limited to 12 players only.
    Awake, but at what cost
  • Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I can group with people without being in a "group". I do it all the time.
  • pma_pacifier
    pma_pacifier
    ✭✭✭
    merevie wrote: »
    So this happened by accident in the past. We had two days no one could group.
    The results were a lot less lag. That was epic.

But... experienced groups utterly dominated -far more than usual. Not having groups is going to disadvantage new and casuals far more.

A lot of people outside the US have to play without addons already due to lag-they are not suddenly going to be less effective.

People who play together for years can be blind drunk and still know what their idiot friend is going to do if certain situations present themselves and already be in position to mitigate it.

Anyone who plays all the classes knows what their group members will need/what damage is likely incoming etc -they don't need a group program to tell them.

In IC this week experience trumped zergs and experience trumped composition.

Taking groups to 12 is the way forward - 12 is killable but also gives enough flexibility for fun play. The healing/buff changes should do most of the rest.

The community response to Aoe changes is already clear by the numbers in Pvp -that won't fly.

Yes. Experienced groups could still coordinate in discord or wear a certain costume.
  • vgastel
    vgastel
    ✭✭✭
    Today on PC EU. Leading a medium sized DC group of 12-14. Meet huge EP zerg of 40-50 between ales and bleakers, the usual back and forth between the farm and bleakers. Zerg looks like they are not grouped up and not coordinated. Fight starts, lots of lag. Killing a lot of EP because we coordinate our dps and heal, eventually we go down cause of numbers. Only difference, EP zerg casting aoe like we do, but not coordinated. Question. Who causes more lag, coordinated groups of 12, or ungrouped zergs of 40-50?
    Edited by vgastel on September 17, 2020 10:10PM
  • Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vgastel wrote: »
    Today on PC EU. Leading a medium sized DC group of 12-14. Meet huge EP zerg of 40-50 between ales and bleakers, the usual back and forth between the farm and bleakers. Zerg looks like they are not grouped up and not coordinated. Fight starts, lots of lag. Killing a lot of EP because we coordinate our dps and heal, eventually we go down cause of numbers. Only difference, EP zerg casting aoe like we do, but not coordinated. Question. Who causes more lag, coordinated groups of 12, or ungrouped zergs of 40-50?

Let's find out.
  • AbraXuSeXile
    AbraXuSeXile
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ranger209 wrote: »

I can group with people without being in a "group". I do it all the time.

Zerg surfing;

A zerg of unorganised useless players who cant progress a battle so the fight stays in 1 location for a long ammount of time and lags the server then proceeds to flame ball groups who usually end a battle in 5 min.
    AbraXuS
    Grand Overlord Rank 50 [First EU]
    Clan Leader of eXile
    Gaming Community - Est. 1999
    Crashing an EP Wedding | DK Emp | 1vX | Between Enemy Lines | Hate Video | 5 v Many

• SgtNuttzmeg
    SgtNuttzmeg
    ✭✭✭✭
    Imagine playing a MMO and not wanting to play with other players. Group size needs to be looked at not eliminated.
    Legions of Mordor Core

Cold0neFTBs
  • Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imagine grouping up in discord without needing to have a group UI tool
  • LoreToo
    LoreToo
    ✭✭✭
    Just delete internet connection from the game. It's already good single