Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PvP vs PvE Builds

juliandracos
juliandracos
✭✭
This may be impossible to answer without referring to a specific class, but after reading some threads in the non-PvP section and some info on the net, I came away with the impression that in PvE, people min/max for certain their roles, i.e. DPS, Tanking, or Healing. On the other hand, in PvP, PCs that do well tend to be balanced (whatever that means).

So, is there a general difference in how to build for PvP vs PvE? If so, how it is different?
  • Jierdanit
    Jierdanit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This may be impossible to answer without referring to a specific class, but after reading some threads in the non-PvP section and some info on the net, I came away with the impression that in PvE, people min/max for certain their roles, i.e. DPS, Tanking, or Healing. On the other hand, in PvP, PCs that do well tend to be balanced (whatever that means).

So, is there a general difference in how to build for PvP vs PvE? If so, how it is different?

Well in PvE as you said you build for 1 specific playstyle, so you either play DPS, Healer or Tank.

In PvP you should try to get aspects of all those playstyles in your build (at least if you are not playing in a big organized group), so you should try to be tanky to an extend that you can survive other players (this combines tank and heal aspects) and you should try to get enough damage to kill enemy players.

Because otherwise you will struggle against other players, because youre either not gonna be able to kill them or you are going to die very quickly.
    PC/EU, StamSorc Main
  • erio
    erio
    ✭✭✭✭✭

In pve you probably want to do as much damage as possible over a given time if youre dps.
    Pvp is more of a balance of survivability and actually being able to kill your opponents. This includes factoring in healing, damage, sustain, tankiness, mobility, and other stuff.

An example would be someone using the eternal vigor set (which gives healing,sustain and tankiness if worn on the body) and pairing it with a damage set. Like you said you are more balanced, you do some damage, and you can actually take damage and survive.

From my pve experiences you might just wear 2 damage sets in pve. However if youre just a dps in pve, and step into a pvp environment with your pve gear, you probably wont have much survivability.
  • juliandracos
    juliandracos
    ✭✭
    Thanks. Would there be any difference between builds for open vs battlegrounds?
  • Swomp23
    Swomp23
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jierdanit wrote: »
    Well in PvE as you said you build for 1 specific playstyle, so you either play DPS, Healer or Tank.

In PvP you should try to get aspects of all those playstyles in your build (at least if you are not playing in a big organized group), so you should try to be tanky to an extend that you can survive other players (this combines tank and heal aspects) and you should try to get enough damage to kill enemy players.

Because otherwise you will struggle against other players, because youre either not gonna be able to kill them or you are going to die very quickly.

Very good points, but I would add that an important aspect of pvp is how you dish out damage. In pve, you try to deal the most damage in a certain amount of time, and very often that means sustained damage (dots). In pvp, you want to kill your opponent faster than he can heal, which means burst damage. Most class have a delayed burst skill, allowing them to make 2-3 skills hit at the same time, preventing their opponent from healing back. Mag sorc is a good example with curse, meteor and mages wrath that can all hit at the same time, on top of a spammable like frags. Good players are in defensive mode most of the time, until they see an opening, execute their combo and burst down their opponent in 4-5 seconds. If their opponent is also a good player, they will recognize that combo, defend against it (block / dodge roll, then heal back) and the cycle will start over.
    XBox One - NA
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks. Would there be any difference between builds for open vs battlegrounds?

Well, yes, if you’re playing CP Cyrodiil (which is different than no-CP battlegrounds).

Players often tweak their PvP build for no-CP to compensate for the lack of sustain and/or defense.