Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Best One Handed & Shield Combo?

Zama666
Zama666
✭✭✭✭
Thoughts on the best one handed weapon and shield combo? Enhancements, sets, traits?

I want to do a little more damage!

Or if you have a nifty combo - please share what it is and why!

Tanks!
ZVI
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What type of content are you trying to do, exactly? Sword and board isn't really known for dps. Maybe in a pvp build or something.
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agree, I am guessing it is better for tanking, but solo play?

I want to crit more and was hoping one handed weapons would be faster than two handed, possibly dishing out more damage, or crit'ing more often...

What is the biggest benefit of one handed +shield? Thoughts?
  • MoonlightShadow
    MoonlightShadow
    ✭✭✭
    Biggest benefit: It is a defensive skill line with a few damage things thrown in, the skill line taunt and shield you can slot. IF you like to block and bash, and charge a lot, this can be fun. I take my tank into battlegrounds every once in a while just so I can charge players and knock them down. Then I charge the next one :) Don't kill anything, but stir up lots of choas :smile:

Downside: not very high dps. If you are looking to kill something fast, this is the wrong place.

Sounds like you want the dual wield skill line instead if you want to do lots of damage with 1h weapons. I know there are some different mechanics for the dual wield (like offhand weapon is partially nurfed).
    Edited by MoonlightShadow on September 12, 2020 2:46PM
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    Biggest benefit: It is a defensive skill line with a few damage things thrown in, the skill line taunt and shield you can slot. IF you like to block and bash, and charge a lot, this can be fun. I take my tank into battlegrounds every once in a while just so I can charge players and knock them down. Then I charge the next one :) Don't kill anything, but stir up lots of choas :smile:

Downside: not very high dps. If you are looking to kill something fast, this is the wrong place.

Sounds like you want the dual wield skill line instead if you want to do lots of damage with 1h weapons. I know there are some different mechanics for the dual wield (like offhand weapon is partially nurfed).

yeah, the charge and know down is a lot of fun! Same with the bashing! But then they get up and it take a while to beat them down.

Think two handed is any better for damage?
  • lozq
    lozq
    ✭✭✭
    Two-hand and dual-wield are the ones for killing things quickly. One hand and shield is mostly a tanking setup, and sometimes used in PVP.

You can totally make a build using one hand and shield that will work well enough for overland and low-level dungeon running, there's even a set that boosts its damage specifically. https://eso-sets.com/set/knight-errants-mail

That said, most of the passives in the one hand and shield line are for damage mitigation and blocking, whereas the passives in all the other weapon lines are focussed on increased damage. So you'll be missing out on the increased damage that other weapons provide.

If you want to use it, I'd suggest using it on one bar only and using 2h/DW/Bow on the other. Soften the enemy up with some debuffs/stuns from the one hand and shield bar, and do the actual killing on the other bar.
    Quinnine | Tankblade | PC NA
  • Stinkyremy
    Stinkyremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an old (have only just got into the game after 2 years) mag DK with sword and board on front bar, desto on back bar. I can't remember my skill set up and things will need to change when I revive him but damn it is such a fun build. With heroic strike building ult like a tank, peirce armour to debuff like a tank and the skills that make you ruch in with the shield and heal from projectiles coming at you I was a dps in the face of the adds, felt like a tank as I am a tank main but was just destroying tehm with damage.
    Unconventional build and I remember people calling me out here because I got insta kicked for COA2 pug because I had a shield.
    Thing is, I made a unique build and it barely touched my DPS at all, only hit I had of dps was with the few s&b skills I used that could have been used on mag skills and my target attacks on frontg bar.
    Obviously no where near a meta dps but it's a video game, meant to be fun.
    I was using pelinal aptitude set and sun silk.
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stinkyremy wrote: »
    Unconventional build and I remember people calling me out here because I got insta kicked for COA2 pug because I had a shield.

Really....wow....jerks....let me guess this crew also got pounded during dodgeball at gym? #headshot