The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Lore behind the Accursed Death polymorph?

FafnirDovahkiin
Is there any background lore to the Accursed Death polymorph? I know it's just the death hound skin for a humanoid, but looking at the animation summoning a swarm of bats, and other npc creatures with the skin, such as "vampiric bears," are they another type of vampyr?
Edited by FafnirDovahkiin on August 31, 2020 7:57PM
  • Eporem
    Eporem
    ✭✭✭
    Is there any background lore to the Accursed Death polymorph? I know it's just the death hound skin for a humanoid, but looking at the animation summoning a swarm of bats, and other npc creatures with the skin, such as "vampiric bears," are they another type of vampyr?

There is this written of it, though it does not mention vampires..

“Become one with death, allowing it to flow from within you and change your very appearance."
  • Cameron991
    Cameron991
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is more so just a guess so I’m just saying what I believe it to be. But anyways so since the other accursed/vampiric creatures look just like the polymorph I definitely believe it’s a form of vampirism. However I think it is more so a different strain, a more similar strain that the wild animals that also are accursed. So that being said I think it may be some sort of strain that involves alchemy and vampirism sort of like how harrowfiends are. Ik harrowfiends are created from Harrowstorms but perhaps this polymorph is more like the alchemy from the Harrowstorms mixed with that of the vampiric wild animal which creates an even more feral harrowfiend know as the accursed death?(polymorph). It’s a long shot but I think it may be what’s going on, or it’s just simply a cosmetic that gives a player a more blood hound look and means nothing at all. Either way I think it definitely is a form of a vampire
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be nice if they fleshed out the lore on it a bit more. It was cool seeing a ritual being performed turned a wolf into a death hound, but you don't get an idea of what is gone into making it happen other than vampiric power and necromancy blended together. One could say the Accursed Death polymorph mimics what is happening with the Castle Thorn dungeon with the awakened vampires, but with a mortal as the target. I'm just speculating though.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • FafnirDovahkiin
    Maybe it's something to the effect like ghouls the from Hellsing anime. They can be turned by vampyres, but aren't in fact vampyres. lol just a strictly vampiric familiar
  • Thevampirenight
    Thevampirenight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you take a look at the appearance of the polymorph and compare it to Morrowind three Draugr.
    Then you will notice its much like that, basically Draugr is the wrong word for it. Basically what it is is a type of Ghoul basically. I don't know if we will see anything behind in in Markarth but maybe they will play a role next year. Hopefully we will be able to find out more on them.
    PC NA
    Please add Fangs to Vampires.
  • Aristocles22
    Aristocles22
    ✭✭✭
    It's not like every last little element in the game has a life story. It just looks cool.