The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

ESO drop rates

ACamaroGuy
ACamaroGuy
✭✭✭
Should the developers and programmers of ESO increase the drop rates on items? Are you tired of farming for that one armor, weapon or jewelry peace over and over again?
Edited by ACamaroGuy on August 28, 2020 4:45PM
For the Empire

ESO drop rates 64 votes

Increase the drop rates
45%
chimneyswift_ESOGrymmoirezariaTanis-StormbinderPathHymzirMettaricanacmetzger93Katahdinpod88kkBananaSeminolegirl1992rennePirateassassin3HoolieluluUnified_GamingNairinheAshrynLangdon64ACamaroGuy 29 votes
Keep drop rates as they are
50%
daryl.rasmusenb14_ESOdcam86b14_ESOAwesomestMattidkStilliandarigaaz87EdaphonStreegapreeviousCaffeinatedMayhemAlnilamETaleof2CitiesroflcoptertygyrNemeliomGreenseajosiahvaEvilAutoTechcrysis992Schokolade 32 votes
Decrease drop rates
4%
Fur_like_snowMajThoraxAshfieldLad 3 votes
  • JinMori
    JinMori
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Depends which one we are talking about, if it's about inferno staff of succession, yes.
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Surely it not as simple as increasing drop rates. I could be farming for frost staff of succession, flame staff of succession or sword and board... You see what I mean?

I currently have an equal chance of getting any of the above or none of them...

They could have a token system you could obtain by trading with the appropriate merchant, allowing you to get the item you want in exchange for many items you don't want.

Increasing drop rates for motif's, furnishing mats etc... Could be another debate? Changing that decreases their market value, as they become less rare this will upset other players that rely on that method for income.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO is a lot less grindy compared to other similar MMOs ...
  • JinMori
    JinMori
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Surely it not as simple as increasing drop rates. I could be farming for frost staff of succession, flame staff of succession or sword and board... You see what I mean?

They could have a token system you could obtain by trading with the appropriate merchant, allowing you to get the item you want in exchange for many items you don't want.

Increasing drop rates for motif's, furnishing mats etc... Could be another debate? Changing that decreases their market value, as they become less rare this will upset other players that rely on that method for income.

Just like how you have an equal chance of getting inferno medusa compared to resto or ice.... Come on.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JinMori wrote: »

Just like how you have an equal chance of getting inferno medusa compared to resto or ice.... Come on.

The people who have poor luck are the only ones who say anything. Those who get it as expected do not.

Confirmation bias sorry... selection bias at its best.
    Edited by tmbrinks on August 28, 2020 5:25PM
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zos effectively increased the drop rates a couple of years ago when they added the transmutation system to the game so we can change the trait. Instead of farming a specific weapon and done, we were farming for a specific trait on that weapon making the grind 9 times longer.

On top of this, Zos added the ability to trade gear/weapons with anyone in the group at the time the boss was defeated. If you run with friends, guildmates, with the idea they will trade you the item if they get it that is another increase in the drop rate. If you run with strangers who will not trade, that is a personal choice.

So yes, Zos already did this.
  • JinMori
    JinMori
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

tmbrinks wrote: »

The people who have poor luck are the only ones who say anything. Those who get it as expected do not.

Look, out of about 50 runs, about 20 staves dropped, only 2 of those were inferno. Now, that was either extremely unlucky, or something is going on.

You know just because you have 4 staves doesn't mean that the chance is necessarily 1/4.

Same thing for advancing jokeda jewelry, if the chance to get it was really 1/6 then you would on average see 2 drops per raid, but that's not what actually happens.

So confirmation bias? No not really. I guess it is only if you close your eyes and pretend that if it 4 staves than the chance much be 1/4.
    Edited by JinMori on August 28, 2020 5:46PM
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    decrese the dropped packet rates by a factor of 1000x or more :persevere:

Edited by Gythral on August 28, 2020 9:19PM
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Look, out of about 50 runs, about 20 staves dropped, only 2 of those were inferno. Now, that was either extremely unlucky, or something is going on.

You know just because you have 4 staves doesn't mean that the chance is necessarily 1/4.

Same thing for advancing jokeda jewelry, if the chance to get it was really 1/6 then you would on average see 2 drops per raid, but that's not what actually happens.

So confirmation bias? No not really. I guess it is only if you close your eyes and pretend that if it 4 staves than the chance much be 1/4.

That's why I crossed out confirmation bias... since it's actually selection bias.

By the way. The odds of getting 2 inferno staves out of 20 drops is 6.69%... about 1 in 15. Not exactly uncommon. (Assuming there is a 25% drop rate of each)

It's like doing a poll of "who likes school", and then only people you poll are those that are failing school... of course you're going to get a high percentage to say they don't like it :joy:
    Edited by tmbrinks on August 28, 2020 6:07PM
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
  • Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Increase the drop rates
    I want borderlands 3 droprates a literal lootsplosion!! Normal adds maybe dropping random gear at random rates like boss may drop 1 wep or like 3 weps and a ring neck and duplicates would make runs alot more rewarding and less disappointing.
  • JinMori
    JinMori
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

That's why I crossed out confirmation bias... since it's actually selection bias.

By the way. The odds of getting 2 inferno staves out of 20 drops is 6.69%... about 1 in 15. Not exactly uncommon. (Assuming there is a 25% drop rate of each)

It's like doing a poll of "who likes school", and then only people you poll are those that are failing school... of course you're going to get a high percentage to say they don't like it :joy:

The point was never about the percentage itself, the point was about how getting an inferno staff is not the same as getting an ice or resto or lightning. And you are trying to change the subject.

Inferno does not drop to the same rate as the other 3. And the second rarest is lightning.

At the end of the day you tried to change the subject so this will be the last reply. It's clear what you wanted to try.

The basic point i wanted to make is that just because there are 4 staves, doesn't mean that each of them has the same drop rate. That is all.

People just cannot stomach not being wrong, so need to change the subject. You can go and try it yourself. Try medusa or advancing jokeda, if you run enough dungeons, you will see that the drop rate is not equal for every piece.
    Edited by JinMori on August 28, 2020 7:06PM
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lower the drop rates for Embershield, raise it for the BSW Inferno staff. Could probably say this about a dozen other items.

Increasing drop rates isn't the issue. Balancing them is more important.

Oh, and do something about the utterly useless weapons. Like the Berserking Warrior staves. In a set where the devs removed the bow because "it doesn't make sense in a melee set." Oh, but that inferno staff does...
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If anything drop rates need to be evened out. It's easy to see what the "rare" drops are: BSW Inferno staff, 1h/shield on any tanking set, Lightning/fire staves on any mag DPS set, axes on bleeds sets, restoration staves on healing sets, etc. While some people do score rare drops regularly, they are very much the exception.
    Edited by CaffeinatedMayhem on August 28, 2020 7:06PM
  • MagicalLija
    MagicalLija
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some stuff which is more in META should get a higher drop rate.

I'm mostly talking about Inferno Staffs:
    • Mother's Sorrow
    • Siroria
    • Maelstrom Staffs
    • Burning Spellweave

Stuff like this. I'm so unbelievably sick and tired of getting 10 Ice and Electric MS staffs.

It would break the economy now sure since people grind the staves and sell them for a couple ~90k but yeah.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The point was never about the percentage itself, the point was about how getting an inferno staff is not the same as getting an ice or resto or lightning. And you are trying to change the subject.

Inferno does not drop to the same rate as the other 3. And the second rarest is lightning.

At the end of the day you tried to change the subject so this will be the last reply. It's clear what you wanted to try.

The basic point i wanted to make is that just because there are 4 staves, doesn't mean that each of them has the same drop rate. That is all.

People just cannot stomach not being wrong, so need to change the subject. You can go and try it yourself. Try medusa or advancing jokeda, if you run enough dungeons, you will see that the drop rate is not equal for every piece.

How am I changing the subject? (Yes, I tried to use an analogy to describe a similar situation..)

How can you say the bolded part? What data do you have to show it. I'm saying that the situation you described has a 6.69% change of happening by RANDOM CHANCE That's not rare.

The data you (and others) use to come to these conclusions is flawed, it's biased.

You honestly don't think I've farmed for items myself? :joy:
  • Disturbed_One
    Disturbed_One
    ✭✭✭✭

You're offering as "proof" in a sample of 20 that you only got 2 inferno that the drops rates are different?? and have the nerve to call somebody "wrong" :smirk:

They used basic statistics. Everybody should know it.

[Edit to remove bait]
    Edited by [Deleted User] on August 28, 2020 7:59PM
  • JinMori
    JinMori
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You're offering as "proof" in a sample of 20 that you only got 2 inferno that the drops rates are different?? and have the nerve to call somebody "wrong" :smirk:

[Edit to remove bait]

My point was not about rarity, or complaining about it necessarily, i only pointed out that just because there are 4 staves doesn't mean the chance to drop for each of them is 1/4.

But people have trouble understanding this.

Although inferno staff of succession drop should be either increased or you get a chance for a weapon drop at each stage.

So basically, you guys made an argument that i didn't really bring up.

If you farm for sets like jokeda gold jewlery or medusa inferno you will realize after some runs that the chance to drop is not equal to other sets.

By the way, i didn't get 2 staves. And the actual medusa staves drops might actually be more than 20 now that i think about it. I didn;t really stand there and count them, but it was a lot of resto and ice staves, and very few inferno and lightning. For every group i joined.

[snip]

Yes, if we look at the actual drop rate, it is not that rare even compared to some other mmos, that was never the actual point.

[Edited for Baitng]
    Edited by Psiion on August 28, 2020 10:02PM
  • Disturbed_One
    Disturbed_One
    ✭✭✭✭

[Edit to remove bait]

My point was not about rarity, or complaining about it necessarily, i only pointed out that just because there are 4 staves doesn't mean the chance to drop for each of them is 1/4.

But people have trouble understanding this.

Although inferno staff of succession drop should be either increased or you get a chance for a weapon drop at each stage.

So basically, you guys made an argument that i didn't really bring up.

If you farm for sets like jokeda gold jewlery or medusa inferno you will realize after some runs that the chance to drop is not equal to other sets.

By the way, i didn't get 2 staves. And the actual medusa staves drops might actually be more than 20 now that i think about it. I didn;t really stand there and count them, but it was a lot of resto and ice staves, and very few inferno and lightning. For every group i joined.

[snip]

Yes, if we look at the actual drop rate, it is not that rare compared to some other mmos, that was never the actual point.

[Edited For Baiting]

Of course the drop rates COULD be different, they can program it to be whatever they want. But it's likely they are similar.

I guess I don't even understand your point then. You say one thing and then contradict it with the next statement. But, to each their own.

You literally said "Inferno does not drop to the same rate as the other 3. And the second rarest is lightning" and your "proof" is something that happens often by random chance.
    Edited by Psiion on August 28, 2020 10:04PM
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Increase the drop rates
    Its some trolling sets, medusa might be the old SPC, remember farming it, well it was +50 runs, so many bows, even destro staffs was very rare. No jewelry at all, know this as I farmed in normal, had jewelry from vault.

After the first anniversary event I had gold so spent over a million on keys and got it.
    Now for some reason SPC jewelry and weapons was not so hard to get after Summerset got released.
    They keep confusing Khajiit, granted this is probably easy.
    H4r0jrZh.png
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Eifleber
    Eifleber
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Increase the drop rates
    Drop rates are generally ok - but sometimes it's utterly frustrating to do 100+ runs and still don't get that one inferno staff.
    For example.

Must say that it wouldn't be bad if you'd also get 1 (dungeon specific) voucher per normal completion /2 per veteran and say 100 vouchers get you an item of choice or enchantment that changes the set an item belongs to.

Playing since dec 2019 | PC EU
  • Aznarb
    Aznarb
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This ^
    I've come on these kind of topic time to time to explain this.
    A token system would be way more useful and less boring.
    X1 token = Random part of 1 set
    X2 token = Choosing part of 1 set with random trait
    X3 token = Choose part and trait
    [ PC EU ]

[ Khuram-dar ]
    [ Khajiit ]
    [ Templar - Healer ]
    [Crazy Gatherer & Compulsive Thief]

• Psiion
    Psiion
    ✭✭✭✭
    Greetings,

After removing a few unnecessary back and forth from this thread, we would like to remind everyone that Baiting is against the Forum's Community Rules, as stated below:
    Trolling or Baiting: The act of trolling is defined as something that is created for the intent to provoke conflict, shock others, or to elicit a strong negative or emotional reaction. It’s okay and very normal to disagree with others, and even to debate, but provoking conflict, baiting, inciting, mocking, etc. is never acceptable in the official The Elder Scrolls Online community. If you do not have something constructive or meaningful to add to a discussion, we strongly recommend you refrain from posting in that thread, and find another discussion to participate in instead. It is also not constructive or helpful to publicly call out others and accuse them of trolling, or call them a troll—please refrain from doing so. If you genuinely believe someone is trolling, please report the post or thread to the ESO Team, and leave it at that.
    If there are any questions, feel free to review the rules in full here.
    Staff Post
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

and why we notice getting what we do not want which I suspect is part of your point.

Further, just looking at our personal drop chances does not provide a large enough sample to determine what the actual drop rate is. It is why you continue to note samples of the information you track to ensure you get a reasonable sample size to be able to deduce what is actually happening.
  • stefj68
    stefj68
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got 4 medusa inferno staff yesterday, run it 6 times... 2x precise 1x infused 1x trained... got 0 medusa chest in 4 days farming... yes sometimes drop rates are just annoying... 0 lightning/ice staffs

• Pauwer
    Pauwer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Increase the drop rates
    I'd like the drop rates to be actually random. Because they do not seem to be. Like if i want some stam dps set from a dungeon, best to go on heal ;) am i rite? And like when ever some set is bis, it's very hard to get those right kind of weapons from set. For instance when viper set got nerfed, suddenly bows and 1-h and 2-h weapons were dropping all the time. It just seems like it is not honestly random at all.
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Increase the drop rates
    Specific weapons are always a nightmare in my experience to the point where I usually don't bother and use something else :|