The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Impen worth running?

Tsunahmie
Tsunahmie
✭✭✭
as the title says, is it still worth running Impen?
I have 2 builds in mind and am wondering if I should go for 5x impregnable armour in divines or 5x Ancient Dragonguard in Impen or divines.
With no Impen gear except allocated in CP I would be sitting at around 2847 crit Resistance. Do you reckon with Malacath around that this is enough Crit resist?
cheers!
  • Crow_IX
    Crow_IX
    ✭✭✭
    personally i like the settup of 5 impen (med or light) and 2 reinforced (heavy chest and legs). imo you'll need impen otherwise critblades will be your worst matchup.

personally i dont think impreg or ancient dragon would be good as defense just isn't really the way to go these days. meta is shifting in favor of proc sets which is very unfortunate but i guess thats what we have to deal with. PvP tanks are nearly useless and most good players will just ignore you until everyone else is dead.

if you plan on running malacath, cause i'm unsure if thats what you're asking, then i would say 1 defensive set like eternal vigor and then an offensive set like stuhn's with malacath, would hit very hard. all while in heavy to help with defense.

if you're asking about defensive from malacath, you cant crit with malacath. again i'm unsure what you mean but i'm assuming the first one.

long story short yes i personally think impen is still very much needed but no i dont think impreg set, nor do i think dragon is good. but if you must choose one i would say dragon.
    RIP skill based PvP days. . .
  • Haquor
    Haquor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont think its as viable to run 7/7 impen anymore with the huge nerfs to the bonus.

Benefits of reinforced and sturdy on a few pieces is pretty significant now for the sacrafice of a few hundered crit resist that can be invested into with cp.
  • Theignson
    Theignson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always aimed to have 3k crit resist as 3.3k is 50% crit mitigation.

But my standards have slipped and I'm running around 2.8k crit resists and sometimes less.

2400 crit resist still gives you mitigation but it is a slippery slope. You can keep reducing your crit resist, and you will be hitting harder = increased offense, but being hit harder , it is the usual trade off that partly depends on your playstyle
    Quakrson, Stam DK, Grand Overlord
    Trackrsen, Stam Warden, Grand Overlord
    Quakrsen, Mag DK, Overlord
    Tolliverson, Stam NB, General
    Farfarel, Stam Necro, Praetorian
    Spencerson, Templar, Prefect
    Phosphorsen, Stam Sorc, Colonel
    Phosphorson, Mag Sorc, Centurion
    Glimson, Arcanist, Major
    All EP/ PC NA
  • L_Nici
    L_Nici
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I mostly run Impen on the small pieces becaus ethe value of impen is always the same on any piece and the 3 big pieces Infused with Tristat, because the Glyphpower is higher on big pieces.
    Edited by L_Nici on August 31, 2020 11:50AM
    A very special girl

PC|EU
  • mikey_reach
    mikey_reach
    ✭✭✭
    I personally wouldnt do more than 3 impen traits anymore. Sturdy or well fitted look a lot better now and of course reinforced and divines for others.
  • Mortiis13
    Mortiis13
    ✭✭✭✭
    No cp is hell to survive atm, stats only can't save u only anymore as updates before. Without any adjustments my sorc and blade critbuilds(mag and Stam) do significantly more dmg.
    So I build a bit more into stam sustain, changed 4 traits into wellfitted.
    I do the same dmg as before, but with more stam recovery = a lot more dodgerolls.
    Especially with stamsorc/blade I can dodge into BoL/cloak like forever.

My stamcro will maybe stay in all impen, as I build (max mitigation) him to be in mistform all the time beside when it's time to burst, so I don't need much dodgerolls as with other chars(I wanted a playstyle like the greymoor trailer vamps ^^ as my stamcro had only 2 low cost mags kills and bad mobility , it was the best choice for auch a playstyle).

I also want to test if I can drop the sustainset in no cp for another defense or offense set with the buffed sustain Mundus with all chars.
    With 3/4 devines u get a huge amount of recovery. Especially my stamcro vamp3 could turn out into an extremely tanky and hard hitting force.

Overall That impen nerf isn't that bad as I thought first, atleast for those whos defense is more active than passively, but u can still figure out other ways to be super tanky even against critbuilds, u just need to theorycraft a bit :wink:
  • Vanagrand
    Vanagrand
    ✭✭✭
    In CP you can build arround with CP to reach the softcap of 3k. Atm im with 2 reinforced pieces+shield on back bar.

In No-CP if you want to survie sorcs and NB you need to go full IMP.
  • pauld1_ESO
    pauld1_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vanagrand wrote: »
    In CP you can build arround with CP to reach the softcap of 3k. Atm im with 2 reinforced pieces+shield on back bar.

There is so much damage I see no difference between impen and no impen. Maybe I die in 3 seconds instead of 2.5?
  • raasdal
    raasdal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In No CP the answer is no. Even more so this patch, but was also a no in last patch.

Almost all other options are more effective and will allow you to use other resources to get your defense.
    PC - EU
    Gromag Gro-Molag - Sorcerer - EP
    Dexion Velus - Dragonknight - AD
    Chalaux Erissa - Nightblade - AD
    Firiel Erissa - Templar - AD
  • Vanagrand
    Vanagrand
    ✭✭✭
    pauld1_ESO wrote: »
    Vanagrand wrote: »

There is so much damage I see no difference between impen and no impen. Maybe I die in 3 seconds instead of 2.5?

It will depend on the build but being able to survive the burst and heal it can be the difference between winning or loosing.
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In no cp I would run divines or well fitted , depending on class and spec. Infused has value on your big pieces, and your chest could be reinforced though the benefit is not huge. If I still have impen on anything at this point it's because I'm too lazy to transmute it or want to save my gems.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • NinchiTV
    NinchiTV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All im gonna say is if you have low crit resist, you are VD proc standing next to your buddies. And its very noticeable when somebody has low CR because they tend to get 1-2-3 combo and drop. Just because they nerf impen doesnt mean its bad or out dated.
  • Recapitated
    Recapitated
    ✭✭✭✭
    In BGs I don't wear it at all.

1) There's now base resists. Without impen in no-CP now you have 1350 base resists, just a bit more than 5 pieces of old impen. Or, in actual stats, it means the standard 1.5x crit multiplier will instead be 1.31. Wearing all impen this patch gets you another 13% off or so, so Crits hit you for 1.18%. How high crit chances are now and how many guaranteed crits you're eating might also have changed

(Fun fact, depending on how many pieces of impen you're wearing, gold might make no difference at all. Definitely true for 7 pieces.)

2) Depending on what people are wearing or what mode you're playing they may have significantly higher crit %. I've seen VD in BGs but it's not the same as walking through a choke point in IC. And of course CP brings its own crit chance.

3) Malacath is common enough right now that crit resist amounts to putting all your eggs in one basket. You might as well not have any trait on against a Malacath user. I'd rather sacrifice damage somewhere else and invest in general tankiness (which I did via Pirate Skeleton, but if it doesn't proc when a NB decides it's time I shed my mortal coil I'm in trouble); traits can be damage or something else.

4) There are other sources of crit resists, and with impen getting directly AND indirectly nerfed leaning on them makes more sense. On a mage mundus build, divines can get you another 2k mag, or just under that. If you were wearing impen alfiq before with tri-stat glyphs on big pieces, you can go all mag glyph all divines Impreg with minimal changes to your stats and way more crit resist than impen gets you.
    Edited by Recapitated on September 8, 2020 4:13AM
  • Swomp23
    Swomp23
    ✭✭✭✭
    Crow_IX wrote: »
    personally i like the settup of 5 impen (med or light) and 2 reinforced (heavy chest and legs). imo you'll need impen otherwise critblades will be your worst matchup.

personally i dont think impreg or ancient dragon would be good as defense just isn't really the way to go these days. meta is shifting in favor of proc sets which is very unfortunate but i guess thats what we have to deal with. PvP tanks are nearly useless and most good players will just ignore you until everyone else is dead.

if you plan on running malacath, cause i'm unsure if thats what you're asking, then i would say 1 defensive set like eternal vigor and then an offensive set like stuhn's with malacath, would hit very hard. all while in heavy to help with defense.

if you're asking about defensive from malacath, you cant crit with malacath. again i'm unsure what you mean but i'm assuming the first one.

long story short yes i personally think impen is still very much needed but no i dont think impreg set, nor do i think dragon is good. but if you must choose one i would say dragon.

Why do you think ancient dragonguard isn’t good?
    XBox One - NA
  • JayKwellen
    JayKwellen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Swomp23 wrote: »
    Why do you think ancient dragonguard isn’t good?

Personally the reason I dislike ancient dragonguard is because it reduces your healing when you need it most. Sure, the added resistance is nice and might save you from an execute or two, but you know will save you better? Being able to quickly heal out of it.

If you really want to lean heavily into defense, go for something like pariah which won't also situationally gimp your healing.

Xbox NA - JaeKwellen
    AD PvP
    Trying to main a magcro. This is awful.
  • CompM4s
    CompM4s
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try and hit at least 2500 crit resist. I prefer more.
  • JinxxND
    JinxxND
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, in CP it's not as important but still will help you survive burst dmg and snipers
    PC NA -
    'Jinxx - Nightblade
    'Jinxx X Necromancer