The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Simplified stats sheet

Athan1
Athan1
✭✭✭✭✭
This game's culture focuses around building DD characters, stacking resources and offensive stats, and pushing the DPS as high as possible. As a result, the majority of chars are min-maxed and unbalanced. Most players sit below 18k health, and only go over 20k if they're a tank. Resistances are also very low... Everyone stresses about getting the least survivability possible in order to stack DPS as high as possible. Sure it's fun to OHKO stuff but if you're not careful you get OHKO'ed as well...

Anyway, for many people this is kind of stressful or pointless and it's frankly quite neurotic. I do think that chars should be more balanced. It's hard to see the imbalance because our char stats are absolute values, not relative. For instance, we only see 20k Max Magicka, so ofc we think we need to stack more. I like how in some games your stats are shown as relative values, e.g. 50% defence or 3/5 stars in offence, etc. I came up with a simplified stats sheet for ESO as well, which helps me build a more balanced char. I wanted to share my idea with other players.

I grouped all stats into 6 stats:
  1. Health (Max Health & Regen)
  2. Defences (All Resistances, including elemental or crit resistances)
  3. Offences (Spell/Weapon Damage, Crits, Penetration)
  4. Magicka (Max Magicka & Regen)
  5. Stamina (Max Stamina & Regen)
  6. Agility (Speed/Dodge roll/block/sneak buffs or cost reductions)

Then I get some arbitrary approximate max values for each stat and calculate a relative score out of 5. Based on the majority of builds that stack one particular stat and the physical limitations of the game (e.g. how many gear slots you can actually get), we can say that resources cap at about 40-50k (in pve), regen goes up to 2-3k, resistances cap at 33k, pen at 18k, and damage 4-5k (ofc it can be pushed over that with buffs). Agility depends on how many pieces of medium armor you wear or the CP passives. With max values in mind, you can calculate where approx your char sits across the six stats, and decide which ones you need to invest in, if you want to make a more balanced set.

Below is an example of a char I'm building at the moment, intended to be a tank-healer (stats are values out of 5). Not bis or min/max, but all-round:
Health: 3
Defences: 4
Offences: 2
Magicka: 4
Stamina: 1
Agility: 2
Edited by Athan1 on August 26, 2020 10:28AM
Athan Atticus Imperial Templar of Shezarr