The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Altmer views on Stendarr

Athan1
Athan1
✭✭✭✭✭
There's a lot of lore and Altmer phrases on all divines except Stendarr. I presume this is because he was supporting all beings, including the lesser humans. However, although he's most popular with Redguards and Bretons, he seems to have originated from Summerset as well, potentially a god-ancestor like the other divines. Do you guys know anything else about how the Altmer see Stendarr? It's a shame he's forgotten in Altmer lore.

This is the only lorebook I could find, which confirms he isn't as popular with Altmer. More importantly, it confirms the Altmer of Lillandril developed the Templar techniques (either at the college or the academy) and then spread them to mainland Tamriel.
latest?cb=20140526131300
Athan Atticus Imperial Templar of Shezarr
  • Eporem
    Eporem
    ✭✭✭
    Athan1 wrote: »
    There's a lot of lore and Altmer phrases on all divines except Stendarr. I presume this is because he was supporting all beings, including the lesser humans. However, although he's most popular with Redguards and Bretons, he seems to have originated from Summerset as well, potentially a god-ancestor like the other divines. Do you guys know anything else about how the Altmer see Stendarr? It's a shame he's forgotten in Altmer lore.

This is the only lorebook I could find, which confirms he isn't as popular with Altmer. More importantly, it confirms the Altmer of Lillandril developed the Templar techniques (either at the college or the academy) and then spread them to mainland Tamriel.
    latest?cb=20140526131300

For me I just wonder where Stendarr's light originates from. In reading I gathered he was once known as Stuhn, and was renamed to Stendarr when St. Alessia combined/created/defined the Eight. As Stuhn, he was known to serve as a shield thane to Shor, and Shor I believe is viewed as Lorkhan in the Nordic pantheon? and then there is Jone, who is mentioned as being Secunda, and Stendarr's Sorrow.
  • Sjestenka
    Sjestenka
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how these Altmer priests manage to ignore something as obvious as planets in the sky. There's these big huge planet-things that Imperials call 'Stendarr', and 'Arkay' and 'Dibella'. Altmer astrologists just gotta call them somehow? Even if priests conveniently forget about them in their Sundas services
  • Athan1
    Athan1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stendarr is Stendarr. Arkay is Xarxes. Dibella doesn't have an Altmer equivalent. The imperials stole the Altmer astronomy and religion anyway
    Edited by Athan1 on August 28, 2020 11:39AM
  • Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sjestenka wrote: »
    I wonder how these Altmer priests manage to ignore something as obvious as planets in the sky. There's these big huge planet-things that Imperials call 'Stendarr', and 'Arkay' and 'Dibella'. Altmer astrologists just gotta call them somehow? Even if priests conveniently forget about them in their Sundas services

As Athan1 says one same heavenly body can have different names. Jupiter is Brhaspati in indian RL astronomy.

(I guess it would mind-blow people who believe the planets of Mundus are the actual dead bodies of the gods themselves in-unvierse but that's not how it works technically, it's all in-universe symbolism :p Nevertheless one can still interpret that the divine souls mantled/fused in those planets somewhat)

_
    Athan1 wrote: »

It's an Auridon lore book IIRC? Regarding Summerset lore I guess it's still true, we don't hear about Stendarr much (at all).

Beware then, there are slight differences or discrepancies between the religious lore of the auridian altmer and the summerset mainland altmer...
    (OK here, the author is mainland (Lillandril) herself here but don't forget the unreliable narrator trope hahaha)

The main difference I found was the holy chants in that ruin (Torinaan) https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Coils_of_the_Father that clearly identified Auri-El's symbolism with Akatosh's, with coils, scales, fangs and fire - just like your regular dragon-god or yokudan-lava-serpent-god (perfectly fit for a Dragon-Knight class type of powers).

Yet, Summerset lore and more recent pieces (like the statuette furniture) clearly depicts him/it with elven eagle features - feathered wings and so on (which fits more with Templar class type of powers).

Maybe the behind-the-scene reason is that high-elven lore was still blurry and sketchy for ZoS when they wrote Auridon zone texts.

For me, in-universe, it is merely a mark of the altmer / imperial cultural divergences.
    Continental Tamriel cultures are heavily influenced by imperial lore - and most generally human lore, where the god's king is a Dragon. We can find this back in Nordic culture where and when dragons ruled humans.
    However the high-elven Ascendants of their own pantheon are different (minus Mara and Stendarr that the early imperials borrowed to their ayleid elven rulers) and Auri-El's true symbolism is Eagle-like.
    So most probably the lore of Auridon is mixed-up of Summerset dogma (=> the aedra gods' king is called Auri-El, not Akatosh) with insidious continental influences (=> the Aedra main god has a heavy draconic depiction).
    Edited by Ajaxandriel on August 31, 2020 9:49AM
    TESO:Triskelion - forum RP, guilde francophone
    Ajaxandriel - haut-elfe gardien 50 ;
    Altarya - haute-elfe templière 50 ;
    Angelith - elfe des bois gardienne 50 ;
    Antarius Scorpio - impérial chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Artémidore de Corbeaulieu - bréton lame noire 50 ;
    Azothos Sadras - elfe noir sorcier 50 ;
    Celestras - haut-elfe sorcier 50 ;
    Diluviatar - elfe des mers sorcier 50 ;
    Dorguldun gro-Arash - orque sorcier 50 ;
    Hjarnar - nordique sorcier 50 ;
    Jendaya al-Gilane - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Sabbathnazar Ullikummi - elfe noir chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Selvaryn Virotès - elfe noire lame noire 50 ;
    Tahajmi - khajiit sorcière 50 ;
    Telernil - haut-elfe templier 50 ;
    Zadzadak - gobelin nécromancien 50 ;
    Zandoga - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50
  • Athan1
    Athan1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The book is about the Templar class and can be found in many locations afaik. Indeed, Auri-El typically has eagle/elf features for the Altmer and draconic features for other races.