Maintenance for the week of May 20:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 20
• NA megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• EU megaservers for maintenance – May 22, 8:00 UTC (4:00AM EDT) - 16:00 UTC (12:00PM EDT)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 22, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC) https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/658773

Will Eso run at 60FPS On PS5/series X?

hungrymagpie
Saw the announcement about eso coming to PlayStation 5 and Xbox SX ! There seems to be limited information right now but will there be a 4K@60fps option?

I just tryed out eso pc 4k@60fps and wow it feels so goood!! But I don’t want to restart or leave my Friends on ps4
Edited by hungrymagpie on August 25, 2020 1:33AM
  • trackdemon5512
    trackdemon5512
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @hungrymagpie there are no details at all beyond that one can play the current PS4 version via backwards compatibility at launch and that later this will be a PS5 native version.

That said a solid 60fps at any point on a playstation would be nice...
    Options
  • Synnastix
    Synnastix
    ✭✭✭✭
    Must’ve been a good pc, my 1060 can’t keep 60fps at 4k and maxes the gpu, not vram or cpu. Biggest difference imo is fidelity and view distance - pc is more detailed and you can see further. Oddly, in some areas this detail creates a lot of visual clutter (noticeable in Wayrest around the keep) and I prefer the ps4 graphics in some areas.

Rough estimates are that next gen consoles will function at around the same level as a pc with amd 3700x proc and gtx 2070 gpu.

I’ve been researching this a lot lately with the thought of getting a new laptop or building a new pc, but what i keep coming back to is this: new consoles come out this holiday season and i can’t reasonably build something that competes, esp at that price point. 1500 for a new pc vs 500 for next gen console is kind of a big deal.

My current approach is to stay current on the PS while leveling my pc account. Over 1k cp on ps4 but only 380-ish on pc so there’s a lot of relaxing gaming left there, which is what i’m after anyway. My hope is next gen steps up to current max pc graphics at 4k, and i’m ok if it doesn’t hit 60 fps. Maybe we get lucky and they just release an update that gives us the option to choose our settings.
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Synnastix wrote: »
    Must’ve been a good pc, my 1060 can’t keep 60fps at 4k and maxes the gpu, not vram or cpu.

I know people on PC that get 100 FPS in trials which is one of the more taxing areas of the game.
    Options
  • Synnastix
    Synnastix
    ✭✭✭✭
    Indoors yeah it tends to do much better, probably has a lot to do with settings as well. I run most settings at max and spend most of my time outdoors - 40’s are not uncommon with max gpu usage.

Also i have a 1060 which isn’t the latest and greatest but also no slouch. Not saying you can’t get better frames but details about how you’re doing it matter.
    Edited by Synnastix on August 25, 2020 3:00AM
    Options
  • nbksaske
    nbksaske
    ✭✭✭
    From my understanding, it will still be locked at 30fps while they still support the PS4/xb1, as in PvP that would be an unfair advantage (unless PS4/ps5 etc players are separated, which I highly doubt)

I could be wrong but that is my thought
    Options
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Will ESO run at 60FPS (reliably) on a REALLY good PC (CPU)

If yes, a potatoe has a chance...
    (we all know the answer)
    :wink:
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
    Options
  • hungrymagpie
    Must’ve been a good pc, my 1060 can’t keep 60fps at 4k and maxes the gpu, not vram or cpu. Biggest difference imo is fidelity and view distance - pc is more detailed and you can see further. Oddly, in some areas this detail creates a lot of visual clutter (noticeable in Wayrest around the keep) and I prefer the ps4 graphics in some areas.

Rough estimates are that next gen consoles will function at around the same level as a pc with amd 3700x proc and gtx 2070 gpu.

I’ve been researching this a lot lately with the thought of getting a new laptop or building a new pc, but what i keep coming back to is this: new consoles come out this holiday season and i can’t reasonably build something that competes, esp at that price point. 1500 for a new pc vs 500 for next gen console is kind of a big deal.

My current approach is to stay current on the PS while leveling my pc account. Over 1k cp on ps4 but only 380-ish on pc so there’s a lot of relaxing gaming left there, which is what i’m after anyway. My hope is next gen steps up to current max pc graphics at 4k, and i’m ok if it doesn’t hit 60 fps. Maybe we get lucky and they just release an update that gives us the option to choose our settings.

Ahh I have a Ryzen 3600 with Radeon RX 5700 XT , on high settings, but that’s just testing running around cities as I’m only level 5 on pc and CP 654 on PS4

Just working out if it’s better to wait for ps5 upgrade or jump to pc but that 60FPS really makes the game feel good! And improved light rays is Gorgeous

Options
  • AgaTheGreat
    AgaTheGreat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt if it will ever play like that. Not because PS5 couldn't handle it but because ESO is badly ported to PS4 already. With each update the situation is getting worse and worse. I don't expect any performance improvement for consoles any more. Zos can barely handle working on general performance as it is.
    PS4 EU Aga_The_Grey - retired | PC EU AgaTheGreat
    Options
  • Synnastix
    Synnastix
    ✭✭✭✭
    I spent more time on this than reasonable but it's a fun topic and I keep going back and forth myself, so I took some screenshots in different scenarios to highlight what, for me, are the biggest differences. First some specs:

PS4 - vanilla, did not take SS on my pro

PC - AMD 8350 cpu, 16gb ram, Nvidia 1060 w/ 6GB vram. All in-game ESO settings maxed @ 1440p, FPS included in screencaps is pretty normal for that area on my system.

First here are two shots from just north of the shademother WB in Western Skyrim looking north towards Solitude. The main differences are the water quality, view distance, and quality on distant objects. PC first:

D7Y7rbcu_t.png

Then PS4:

jLXbIhKg_t.jpg

In addition to some of the lower quality textures, you lose some structures as you get more distant. You can see the building by the water disappear as well as the ruins on top of the hill as you go from PC to PS4. Also the mountains near Solitude have way more detail on PC. Water quality is also a big difference between the platforms.

Next I went to the geyser outside Alinor on Summerset, looking towards the city. Again PC first:

d2CxkxSQ_t.png

Then PS4:

p0TolYyM_t.jpg

The missing structures aren't as bad here but you can see clear differences in the detail of distant objects. The city skyline just looks crisp on PC and colors less washed out.

Finally I took a trip to Wayrest to stand on the keep wall looking towards the city. The differences in missing objects here is more noticeable as many builds just aren't there, so the city itself looks more like a city on PC than on PS4. PC first:

tWjceslu_t.png

Then PS4:

fm83Zb5i_t.jpg

Take a look at the gap where the river runs through the center of the city there - on PS4 you get no builds and it looks like the city just ends :'(

We already know that PC has better graphics but that isn't what this is about, it's more about what you can reasonably expect to see change with next-gen consoles. In all cases my GPU maxed but still had headroom on the CPU and Vram, so next gen consoles will do a little better frame-wise but I don't think you're going to be packing enough power to expect a constant 60 FPS @4k unless the graphics are still held back. Personally I'd at least like the option to have max quality & distance over raw FPS but that's just how I play, so I'd appreciate it if the devs took the approach of giving us settings to adjust our experience instead of deciding that for us. If their goal is going to be at min 30 fps then I think we can probably anticipate next gen graphics matching maxed current PC graphics, but I wouldn't expect much more than that.
    Edited by Synnastix on August 25, 2020 3:27PM
    Options
  • WildRaptorX
    WildRaptorX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The one X and Pro are capable for 60fps but for balance, they locked it at 30fps. I think eventually they’ll stop current gen support to keep the game relevant
    Options
  • JinMori
    JinMori
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I can pretty much guarantee that it would run at least 60 fps on the new consoles, probably even with 4k. They are actually pretty powerful, but you can probably forget the usual 400 dollars price tag.
    Edited by JinMori on August 25, 2020 4:14PM
    Options
  • kypranb14_ESO
    kypranb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Press Series X PS5 times to doubt.
    Options
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keylun wrote: »
    The one X and Pro are capable for 60fps but for balance, they locked it at 30fps. I think eventually they’ll stop current gen support to keep the game relevant
    They might cap it at 30 simply so frame drops in larger fights get less noticeable.
    You will not get 60hz at 4K in Cyrodil or trial trash fights.

If they are a bit smart they drop to HD in these instances.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
    Options
  • JinMori
    JinMori
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    They might cap it at 30 simply so frame drops in larger fights get less noticeable.
    You will not get 60hz at 4K in Cyrodil or trial trash fights.

If they are a bit smart they drop to HD in these instances.

To me that "logic" sounds like, we are gonna make the game feel *** all the time, so you feel less *** when the fps would drop.
    Options
  • trackdemon5512
    trackdemon5512
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Keylun I concur. ESO on current consoles likely has 2 years left after next gen launch in November. The developers have repeatedly stated that they have content for years to come but being held back by decade old technology isn’t going to cut it.

It’s not the first time it’s happened anyways. Older PC/Mac support was dropped with both the Thieves Guild update and Murkmire DLC.
    Options
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    lower you settings if you struggle to keep 60fps on PC i rarely drop below 150 in quiet spots i get 240
    Options
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

you could try this also

Unlocking FPS hard cap in ESO
    1. Go to Documents/Elder Scrolls Online/live
    2. Search the UserSettings.txt file and open it with Notepad or Wordpad
    3. Change the SET MinFrameTime.2 directive to a specifc number.

60 FPS = 0.01666666

120 FPS = 0.00833333
    144 FPS= 0.00694444
    240 FPS = 0.00416667
    Before
    fps1.png
    After
    fps2.png
    Options