The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Crystal Weapon feels kinda clunky

CaptainVenom
CaptainVenom
✭✭✭✭✭
The new Crystal Fragments feels almost like a long waited sorc spammable. Nice job!

However, I'm a little worried about Crystal Weapon. It's nice, hits hard, but... it feels a little clunky to me, mostly with melee weapons. Sometimes it just doesn't fire and are kinda hard to weave. Maybe a quicker or different animation? Imbue Weapon suffers from the same problem.
🌈 Ride with Pride 🌈Magicka/Damage Necromancer - PC - NA - DC
  • TBois
    TBois
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The new Crystal Fragments feels almost like a long waited sorc spammable. Nice job!

However, I'm a little worried about Crystal Weapon. It's nice, hits hard, but... it feels a little clunky to me, mostly with melee weapons. Sometimes it just doesn't fire and are kinda hard to weave. Maybe a quicker or different animation? Imbue Weapon suffers from the same problem.

Agreed, the melee light and heavy attack range is pretty small too. I had some fun using the skill today, but if you watch closely you can see the clunkiness you spoke of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQlAqVv2Ww8
    Current Guilds: Fantasia
    Former Guilds: Decibel, Hagnado, Lemon Party

PC/NA
    T-Bois (Stam Sorc since 1.4) - AD
    An Unsettling Snowball (Templar) - AD
    Bosquecito (Stam Sorc) - DC
    Peti-T-Bois (Stamden) - AD

Youtube
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run a bowbow sorc. I tried and rejected the Psijic Order spammable (too clunky). Today I tried the new crystal weapon skill and quickly found it too clunky as well. Like my bowbow NB and spectral bow, gimmick/clunky spells are distracting enough to manage that the net result to me is a dps loss. So I won't use them.

PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought it would be cool going crystal weapon into dizzy, then med/heavy attack but it often didnt want to fire dizzy after. As a spammable with the clunky part of it, I dont think the damage and armore reduction matches the extra damage, off-balance of dizzy.
  • universal_wrath
    universal_wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a psijic order ceushing weapon replica. That skill was cluncky to use on melee weapons as well due to light attack range and interaction with target and skill. Zos refused to fix thst problem, instead they took same skill with same animation and put it on a different skill line. For anyone who used crushing weapon, they should feel awfoully femiliar with the new crystal weapon. Very bad to use on melee weapons and slightly better on range weapons. Many people mentiined this problem on PTS, but again, it was release as it is just like anything else people plead about to change. Zos is just being Zos.
  • catnamedwill
    catnamedwill
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why they straight up refuse to add a stamina instant melee spammable. Magicka has three with Whip, Concealed Weapon and Eviscerate while most magicka builds are ranged, resulting in melee instant spammables only used by magDKs. On the other hand, all stamina PvP builds apart from gankers are melee, yet the only one class has access to a instant melee spammable in Surprise Attack.

This is the primary reason 4 of 6 stamina classes gravitate to Dizzying Swing. They had a great chance to allow stamsorcs to finally be something other than Dizzy spammers, by making Crystal Weapon a Surprise Attack clone with slightly different effects. But no, they had to make it a clunky spammable that depends on LA/HA, making it only semi-viable for ranged play and virtually unusable for melee against moving targets. Also unlike Crushing Weapon, it does not return the stamina cost on failure to proc.

There should have always been an universally accessible stamina instant melee spammable like Surprise Attack.

• katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Did they ever give it's own animation or does it still copy the clunky imbue weapon animation?
  • joseayalac
    joseayalac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can assure you that you will begin to feel it more natural the more you practice with it.

Each skill and each weapon has a different weaving feel to it.
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah there is some major issues with the skill and the class kit as a whole for pvp. Using this solely as a spammable doesn't out match other options and is reliant on hitting auto attacks in melee range which can prove to be difficult with pvp.

So.. it ends up being a pseudo delayed burst skill instead of a spammable that you try to combine with Dizzy, albeit weaker than skills like NB bow proc, Wardens Shalks, Necro BB, or Templar POtL. Bound Armaments doesn't work as a delayed burst skill despite behaving almost identically to NB's bow proc and clearly purposed for that. It's an abject failure for pvp.

So with that in mind.. how the hell do I fit this on my skill bar with another spammable while also wanting to use BA for passives? BA offers so much passive utility that it's insane to drop, 20% stam regen, 20% hp regen, 8% stamina, 8% hp, and 10% light attack damage. The regen alone is why I wouldn't want to drop it as it feels necessary for the kit.

This patch I'm grateful they touched on stam sorc, but I feel like the entire class kit needs to be fine tuned, starting with passive interactions, I hope they do that with Update 28.

BA offers way too much passive utility from slotting.. of course I'm happy about that to some degree, but I'd prefer for it to be reduced for a more powerful and reliable Burst Skill like the other classes, instead of trying to make my spammable (Crystal Weapon) fill that skill type.

Starting with changing the 20% stam/hp regen for having BA slotted to something easier to obtain would greatly help the class kit. Even something like moving the hp/stamina 8% bonus to a weaker value in a passive would be cool.

And of course, Crystal Weapon has no damage related passives making it weaker as a spammable compared to Wrecking Blow, Rapid Strikes, Snipe and even slightly behind Crushing Weapon.. but I still like using it because it's new, fresh, unique to sorc and provides a pretty great amount of utility for yourself and the group.

I think a passive rework would go a long way to fix some my concerns. Unfortunately, I think we're stuck with Crystal Weapon acting like Crushing Weapon instead of an actual spammable the likes of everything else in the game :|
    Edited by MashmalloMan on August 25, 2020 1:06AM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    katorga wrote: »
    Did they ever give it's own animation or does it still copy the clunky imbue weapon animation?

No. Same as week 1 of PTS, 0 changes despite all the feedback, the same way they handled Bound Armaments that only got a change to it's animation/sound when it was released on pts.

For whatever reason, stam sorcs always feel like the ugly step child to mag sorcs with no actual feedback taking effect quickly on the related pts. I know every class deals with this problem, but I've seen changes for others completely reverted or updated within their respective pts cycles. Maybe we're not vocal enough. I don't know why it always feels that way.

Eg. The dedication they put into constantly changing DK's Poop Fist for Update 24/25 (still meh) while BA remained exactly the same throughout the same patches. I guess that means they're happy with it?

I will say however, CrystalW is easier for me to weave than CrushingW. I don't know why, maybe it's just a placebo effect because they seem to be identical.
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • Schattenfluegel
    Schattenfluegel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mhmm no one in an organized Raidgroup would play with this skill..

It has less dmg then rapid strikes. :(
    Love my Stamsorc
  • sMuggle
    sMuggle
    ✭✭✭
    Too difficult to land, especially in PVP Battlegrounds, in particular where no one is standing still. Same issue as with crushing weapon. I really wanted, tried to make it to work.
  • sindalstar
    sindalstar
    ✭✭✭
    I kinda like it.
    Though granted I'm a bowbow user and firing an arrow and 'then' activsting the spamable still works. So your millage may vary.

It atleast feels a little nicer than weaving snipes castime
  • Artorias24
    Artorias24
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skill is clunky to use and in generel a lazy solution to stamsorc spammable. But i didnt expected anything else
  • Sarousse
    Sarousse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clunky, boring, slow, not fun at all to use in a fast pvp game with no cooldowns, exactly like the psijic skill.

Many players have asked for this skill to be changed since day one on PTS but as expected it stayed like this.

No spammable for stamsorcs in PvP. Ever. That's it. Back to spamming wrecking blow. So many available choices for stamsorcs !
    Edited by Sarousse on August 26, 2020 7:20AM
  • Aendruu
    Aendruu
    ✭✭✭
    Imbue Weapon suffers from the same problem.
    It is a psijic order ceushing weapon replica. That skill was cluncky to use on melee weapons as well due to light attack range and interaction with target and skill.
    While I don't use Crystal Weapon, if the animation's anything like imbue/elemental/crushing weapon, then stamsorcs have my sincere condolences!

"So, drinking is a sacrament to Y'ffre... because it's his way of reminding us not to take things too seriously... You know how the other Elves are. Altmer have their crystal towers, and that's how they want to be — cold and perfect. And Dunmer are just like their Red Mountain — smouldering and dark. We just want to have a drink and not worry about it."
    - Regring the Spinner
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't understand why they straight up refuse to add a stamina instant melee spammable. Magicka has three with Whip, Concealed Weapon and Eviscerate while most magicka builds are ranged, resulting in melee instant spammables only used by magDKs. On the other hand, all stamina PvP builds apart from gankers are melee, yet the only one class has access to a instant melee spammable in Surprise Attack.

This is the primary reason 4 of 6 stamina classes gravitate to Dizzying Swing. They had a great chance to allow stamsorcs to finally be something other than Dizzy spammers, by making Crystal Weapon a Surprise Attack clone with slightly different effects. But no, they had to make it a clunky spammable that depends on LA/HA, making it only semi-viable for ranged play and virtually unusable for melee against moving targets. Also unlike Crushing Weapon, it does not return the stamina cost on failure to proc.

There should have always been an universally accessible stamina instant melee spammable like Surprise Attack.

Through weapons stamina has plenty of those, and weapon line passives >>>>>> class passives
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

And of course, Crystal Weapon has no damage related passives making it weaker as a spammable compared to Wrecking Blow, Rapid Strikes, Snipe and even slightly behind Crushing Weapon.. but I still like using it because it's new, fresh, unique to sorc and provides a pretty great amount of utility for yourself and the group.

I think a passive rework would go a long way to fix some my concerns. Unfortunately, I think we're stuck with Crystal Weapon acting like Crushing Weapon instead of an actual spammable the likes of everything else in the game :|

Not really. It has weapon passives + glyphs + armor debuff. I think it's OK with that.

Pair it with something like way of fire and those light attacks are gonna hurt
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Celestro
    Celestro
    ✭✭✭
    Xvorg wrote: »

Not really. It has weapon passives + glyphs + armor debuff. I think it's OK with that.

Pair it with something like way of fire and those light attacks are gonna hurt

Weapon passives and glyphs applies to the Light and Heavy Attacks themselves, so no, its not really substantial for what the skill offers in itself.
    Edited by Celestro on August 26, 2020 12:46AM
  • Ylikollikas
    Ylikollikas
    ✭✭✭
    Crystal weapon is very good in pvp when paired with crushing weapon and weaved into some ability or ult. For example crystal + crushing + snipe/dawnbreaker. Paired with some proc like red mountain and you can oneshot some people. In practice though the short time 2s window for crushing makes it hard to pull especially when lag plays in.
  • CaptainVenom
    CaptainVenom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wish it worked more like a buff, for example:

Crystal Weapon: imbues your weapon with dark magic for 40 seconds, dealing an extra [x] physical damage when dealing light or heavy attacks, once every 0.5 seconds. Every successful strike drains [x] stamina.
    Edited by CaptainVenom on August 26, 2020 1:05PM
    🌈 Ride with Pride 🌈Magicka/Damage Necromancer - PC - NA - DC
  • Celestro
    Celestro
    ✭✭✭
    Wish it worked more like a buff, for example:

Crystal Weapon: imbues your weapon with dark magic for 40 seconds, dealing an extra [x] physical damage when dealing light or heavy attacks, once every 0.5 seconds. Every successful strike drains [x] stamina.

A buff was something along the lines I referred over the current iteration as well. Specifically a Light and Heavy Attack boost, similar to the Undaunted sets. Ultimately, a traditional spammable is preferred overall but anything over the clunky skill as it is now.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im not sure why "crystal" is the theme at an attempted stam spammable any way. Feel like they could build identity sticking to the wind theme of hurricane.
  • Celestro
    Celestro
    ✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »
    Im not sure why "crystal" is the theme at an attempted stam spammable any way. Feel like they could build identity sticking to the wind theme of hurricane.

Thats just the general theme surrounding the skill line, being Dark Magic. The wind theme with Hurricane comes from the Storm Calling line, which specifically deals with lightning and wind. Wouldn't make a lot of sense to just randomly deviate from that.

The Daedric Summoning skill line is a combination of the two though, with the magicka pets dealing Shock Damage while Curse and Bound Aegis/Armament are Dark Magic-esque, especially with the daggers of BA being crystal-like essentially.
    Edited by Celestro on August 26, 2020 2:54PM
  • Flaaklypa
    Flaaklypa
    ✭✭✭✭
    TBois wrote: »

Agreed, the melee light and heavy attack range is pretty small too. I had some fun using the skill today, but if you watch closely you can see the clunkiness you spoke of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQlAqVv2Ww8

that dude is running wrecking blow in pvp, i wouldnt care too much what he is doing :)
  • Rebirthment
    Rebirthment
    ✭✭✭✭
    Off topic but ever since the new crystal frags change I've had great success using it as a Spammable for my magsorc and was even able to parse about 37k with it + Suppression field ult instead of atro to try new things out! The lower cast time makes it much easier to weave and with the cost reduction and insta proc on itself makes it nice.
  • luen79rwb17_ESO
    luen79rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was reported since week 1 in PTS but as usual all we get is meme spammables sadly.
    PC/DC/NAserver

V16 sorc - V16 temp - V16 dk - V1 nb - V1 temp - V1 dk