The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Can we please get some clarity from the devs on why the servers aren't being upgraded?

JohnnyTaco112
JohnnyTaco112
✭✭
@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_BillE @ZOS_KaiSchober @ZOS_AntonioP @ZOS_JessicaFolsom

You have a huge population of people who really enjoy your game. I looked forward to finding a game like this for many years. Baldur's Gate and Diablo were the precursors to this game for me.. 3rd person, might and magic, dungeon crawler type games that are super immersive and unique in so many ways. What those titles lack, ESO has plus much, much more. ESO is everything most of your players have ever wanted in a game, and it's the only one I've ever paid a subscription to. What makes ESO unique is that it is massively multiplayer, PvP AND PvE, 3rd person capable, non turn-based, and at the same time being stunningly beautiful. ALL of these aspects, together, are what make this game great.

If you take any of these things away, it loses it's luster. it becomes handicapped, lame, watered-down. Your players have been screaming for years about why there is so much lag, especially in Cyrodiil. Cyrodiil fights feel like epic, real-time, Lord of the Rings scale battles, sieges and keep defenses that we used to only witness in movies. If you start putting delays on skills, then the game dies. The lag is a real problem, yes, but can we please get some clarity FROM YOU as to why you don't use our money to upgrade your servers? You are opting to gimp your game to fix a problem, which may work for the game, but that won't work for your players. We have paid you all a lot of dough to scroll, so please help us out here.

Thanks in advance for your response. And thank you for such an awesome game.
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Business.

Profit wise it doesnt make sense for them to increase server capacity beyond whats absolutely necessary.

Also the game is 6 years old now, and has gone through a lot of changes, they probably think they can alleviate some of the issues by cleaning up the code.
  • valeriiya
    valeriiya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would cost money
  • lostcloud
    lostcloud
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly wonder if it is a case of better hardware honestly the game its self is so broken they simply do not know how to fix it.
    Nocturnal (AD AvA Oceanic guild, still kicking after 5 years) Formed in 1999 DAoC Beta now in our 21st year.
  • Xologamer
    Xologamer
    ✭✭✭✭
    lostcloud wrote: »
    I honestly wonder if it is a case of better hardware honestly the game its self is so broken they simply do not know how to fix it.

it is hardware
    i know this cause they increased server capacity on mym = good performance
    after mym= trash perforamnce
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Xologamer wrote: »

it is hardware

Well, the game is also full of bugs, delays, desyncs etc, and a lot of it has nothing to do with lag.

• redgreensunset
    redgreensunset
    ✭✭✭✭✭

it is hardware

Guess I imaginrd all the people who complained about performance during MYM then.
  • caeliusstarbreaker
    caeliusstarbreaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They were too busy making a zebra pet for you to buy in the crown store
    Rhage Lionpride DC Stamina Templar
    K-Hole
  • ChimpyChumpy
    ChimpyChumpy
    ✭✭✭
    Think of all the stuff they do throughout the year. Greymoor chapter, new dlcs, new cosmetics. All to get new players, new players bring money. They already got your money.

Here's two scenarios for you:

Hey you folks not playing the game we improved performance, the game works better!

Hey you folks not playing the game here's a new 15 minute video about a new chapter in SKYRIM!!!! Check out these cool caverns!!

What will make more money?
  • Neloth
    Neloth
    ✭✭✭✭

it is hardware

or

it's mym -> Cyrodiil full of solo PVEers -> guild ball groups sit in a queue for 2 hours (or split between different campains) -> significantly less AoEs are casted -> we have good performance during mym (not all the time though)
  • RMerlin
    RMerlin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Beside hardware, I personally have doubts about their Internet connection. I constantly get the feeling that those lag bursts are triggering their anti-DoS protection, which would be why after you get kicked out, you are no longer able to reconnect for the next 5 minutes. And I`m not talking about "You are already logged in", but "Cannot reach the server, check your Internet connection" types of messages that we get during that period, which would indicate to me that the packets are silently getting dropped at the remote end, rather than being actively rejected.
  • VeragoSlater
    VeragoSlater
    Soul Shriven
    Get rid of snow and unnecessary npcs
  • Spearpoint
    Spearpoint
    ✭✭✭

CAN'T RUIN THE 'MMERSION!
    Arinwyn ~ Cute Wood Elf Archer
    Wardena ~ Frost Wardeness [Died alongside Arctic Blast]
    Dry Spell ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ
    Dark Heart of Skyrim 🍺
    Bomblebee ~ cya'll out there
    Bouncing Betty ~ Front Toward Enemy
    Spearpoint ~ Jab Them With The Pointy End
    Six Feet Above ~ Reapertime!
    Bisolar Disorder - Bright & Moody
    Django Unleashed ~ Mr. Nordic Bather's Towel
    Master Angler ~ Struggles With Ichthyophobia
    Ichthyophobia ~ Secretely Dreams of Becoming a Master Angler
    Lol Brb

"Today we make our stand. Today we take back the Ruby Throne, which is ours by ancient right and the blessings of the Divines. Stand with us." — Queen Ayrenn
  • ManDraKE
    ManDraKE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    valeriiya wrote: »
    It would cost money

That is actually false. Upgrading servers to new generations, reduce cost because they are more power efficent. The main cost of datacenter is energy bills. Staying with older servers is actually more expensive than upgrading to newer ones.

What people need to understand is that no matter how much money they put into servers, as long as their code is the bottleneck, you will have lag. When your code is unefficent and the execution time of the server-side algoritms is awful, you can poor millons into server infrastructre and still see 0 performance benefits.

Having devs full time working on performace improvments for months and years, is far more expensive than upgrading servers. This is not a money issue, is a tecnical and game design issue.
    RMerlin wrote: »
    Beside hardware, I personally have doubts about their Internet connection. I constantly get the feeling that those lag bursts are triggering their anti-DoS protection, which would be why after you get kicked out, you are no longer able to reconnect for the next 5 minutes

They use Akami for routing and DNS protection, and is a *** terrible service. The routing is abismal, specially from outside the US. If they switched to AWS Global Accelerator, they could probably reduce ping by 50/60ms. Akamai is the bane of my existence in ESO.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ManDraKE wrote: »
    They use Akami for routing and DNS protection, and is a *** terrible service. The routing is abismal, specially from outside the US. If they switched to AWS Global Accelerator, they could probably reduce ping by 50/60ms. Akamai is the bane of my existence in ESO.

I am not an expert on AWS, but I don't think that AWS Global Accelerator is the same thing as Akamai's DDOS protection.
    Having devs full time working on performace improvments for months and years, is far more expensive than upgrading servers. This is not a money issue, is a tecnical and game design issue.

This. Whatever they did for MYM, where some people say they saw improvement, I figure it was not what people are thinking.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • ManDraKE
    ManDraKE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »

I am not an expert on AWS, but I don't think that AWS Global Accelerator is the same thing as Akamai's DDOS protection.

is not the same, but AWS global accelerator leverages AWS shield for DDOS Protection.
  • Jierdanit
    Jierdanit
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It actually makes a quite noticable difference, at least it seems like you get way more Loadscreens in the snowy parts of cyro.

Like i dont get to Dragon or Bruma without at least 1 or 2 Loadscreens
    PC/EU, StamSorc Main
  • IAmIcehouse
    IAmIcehouse
    ✭✭✭✭
    Throwing money at a problem isn't always the solution to the problem. We are players. We have no idea what the root causes are.

Constantly asking for better hardware is ignorant. You can't always just add more cores and think everything is going to be OK. Obviously it can't hurt, but it doesn't mean its going to "solve lag".

Let the devs do their damn thing and don't expect them to try to explain what's a software problem and what's a hardware problem. They are better at that jobs than we are.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    could the servers be upgraded?
    really?
    i have no idea how that would work, but seems to me that might not even be possible.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

yes, absolutely, Especially in cryodiil - there is Zero reason to have those guards at the shrines inside the castles.
    i can understand guards on the flaggs and maybe 2 "At Most 2" at the door but thats all need, because why would they even be there? they look so stupid and have no reason to exist, if we OWN that castle then the guards "serve us" but in cryodiil those guards are not serving us.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Gilvoth wrote: »
    could the servers be upgraded?
    really?
    i have no idea how that would work, but seems to me that might not even be possible.

Of course. But it would probably mean a maintenance downtime of a day, probably longer, up to a week.
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dollar-sign.jpg

Really, though, saying, "It's not money, because it's more expensive to do it the way their doing it" fails to understand the nature of cheapness. Cheapness and frugality are not the same thing; they're opposites. Cheapness is almost always very, very expensive.
    Edited by MasterSpatula on September 14, 2020 7:43AM
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • Ghostbane
    Ghostbane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    What people need to understand is that no matter how much money they put into servers, as long as their code is the bottleneck, you will have lag. When your code is unefficent and the execution time of the server-side algoritms is awful, you can poor millons into server infrastructre and still see 0 performance benefits.

source.gif

{★★★★★ · ★★★★★ · ★★ · ★★★★★}
    350m+ AP PC - EU
    AD :: Imported Waffles [37]EP :: Wee ee ee ee ee [16]DC :: Ghostbane's DK [16], Impending Loadscreen [12]PC - NA
    AD :: Ghostbane [50], yer ma [43], Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 2.0 [18], robotic baby legs [18]EP :: Wee Mad Arthur [50], avast ye buttcrackz [49], Sir Horace Foghorn [27], Brother Ballbag [24], Scatman John [16]DC :: W T B Waffles [36], Morale Boost [30], W T F Waffles [17], Ghostbanë [15]RIPAD :: Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 1.0 [20]
    Addons
  • vestahls
    vestahls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They will never tell you the rea$on.

Aside from the servers, and their pushing more and more checks on the server side rather than investing in a cheat-detection software (because when more stuff was client-side, that also helped with lag), there is the code that is messed up. A lot of the people who made the game have since left, and the people working on it currently must not have gotten a proper handover. This is why when they fix one problem, they create two more somewhere else. They would have to re-write the whole game, and there's no way that would get approved.

Guess we just have to hope ESO2 will be better.
    “He is even worse than a n'wah. He is - may Vivec forgive me for uttering this word - a Hlaalu.”
    luv Abnur
    luv Rigurt
    luv Stibbons

'ate Ayrenn
    'ate Razum-dar
    'ate Khamira

simple as