The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Difference between Syrabane and Magnus?

Athan1
Athan1
✭✭✭✭✭
I know the backstory of each god, what I'm asking is the difference in what they represent. Afaik, one is the god of sorcery while the other of magic? Sounds like potato-potahto to me.
Athan Atticus Imperial Templar of Shezarr

Best Answers

• Aigym_Hlervu
    Aigym_Hlervu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me it is like.. well, "potato-potato extractor", if we use your association. "Magicka" is an Ayleid word for "magic" - "Av molag anyammis, av latta magicka" meaning "From fire, life; from light, magic". Magnus is said to be the reason for magicka itself to exist on Nirn, i.e. the energy, to be able to flow down into the Mundus, while sorcery is a magical power, a combination of skills, items and rituals to control that energy.
    Edited by Aigym_Hlervu on August 20, 2020 12:03PM
    Answer ✓
  • Xaramasa
    Xaramasa
    ✭✭✭
    Magnus is not the source of Magic himself since that ultimately comes from Aetherius, but his act of escaping Mundus and tearing a hole through Oblivion (creating the sun) means he, in essence, established magic in the world.

Syrabane is the Aldmeri god-ancestor of Magic. By magic, I think he's meant to represent the applications of magic such as in warfare.

Interestingly, Syrabane is referred to the "Youngest of the Eight", which means he ascended to divine status instead of being a god from the start. Perhaps his ascension as the god of magic is him mantling Magnus?
    Answer ✓
  • Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syrabane was a regular high elf who led the All Flags Navy (along with Bendu Olo) and got divinized. We can guess his feats saved Summerset from the sloads and their thrassian plague.
    His holy artifact is a mage’s ring, IIRC.

Magnus is a far earlier ancestor, maybe at the time of Ehlnofey or even before - the Et’Ada to be precise - from a group that the myth called Magna-Ge. They were famous people/beings whose souls breached the sky while fleeing Mundus, according to the myth indeed, letting the light (thus magic) from Aetherius in.
    One can interpret this (in a "grounded" interpretation of the lore) as a feat from Magnus and his apprentices to be the first beings to gather and use sun and star energy, so that these heavenly bodies were named after them when they died and became divinized.

So basically both Magnus and Syrabane are high elven ancestors divinized for their magical prowess - but from different ages.

Notice that both are altmer Ascendants (their own original « Eight ») but none are part of the imperial Divines that the human usurped from the Ayleids.
    TESO:Triskelion - forum RP, guilde francophone
    Ajaxandriel - haut-elfe gardien 50 ;
    Altarya - haute-elfe templière 50 ;
    Angelith - elfe des bois gardienne 50 ;
    Antarius Scorpio - impérial chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Artémidore de Corbeaulieu - bréton lame noire 50 ;
    Azothos Sadras - elfe noir sorcier 50 ;
    Celestras - haut-elfe sorcier 50 ;
    Diluviatar - elfe des mers sorcier 50 ;
    Dorguldun gro-Arash - orque sorcier 50 ;
    Hjarnar - nordique sorcier 50 ;
    Jendaya al-Gilane - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Sabbathnazar Ullikummi - elfe noir chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Selvaryn Virotès - elfe noire lame noire 50 ;
    Tahajmi - khajiit sorcière 50 ;
    Telernil - haut-elfe templier 50 ;
    Zadzadak - gobelin nécromancien 50 ;
    Zandoga - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50
    Answer ✓
  • Athan1
    Athan1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xaramasa wrote: »
    Perhaps his ascension as the god of magic is him mantling Magnus?
    I was also wondering about that, but they are clearly two separate gods - e.g. look at Torinaan. Though they are placed in the same room. Interestingly, other sources treat Syrabane as a female.

• Athan1
    Athan1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found it really interesting that essentially all Divines were Aldmer/Altmers... Which could or couldn't be the same as Altmer being Aedra. Even Auri-El seems to have been a normal ancestor. This could explain why we also got Anui-El, which is presumably a genuine Aedra spirit.

I like that TES doesn't have stereotypical gods like the "sun god" or the "sea god", but I find the distinction between Syrabane and Magnus quite thin.
  • Ajaxandriel
    Ajaxandriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TES might have had such stereotypical gods back in Arena-Daggerfall but they evolved to have somehow their own backstory...
    For example, some Daedra Princes have the same field of powers unlike well-dispatched gods.
    I think the lore text from Celarus about psijic beliefs expains all this suite well. It is the theory of the cult of the ancestors (like Euhemerus’ IRL)
    TESO:Triskelion - forum RP, guilde francophone
    Ajaxandriel - haut-elfe gardien 50 ;
    Altarya - haute-elfe templière 50 ;
    Angelith - elfe des bois gardienne 50 ;
    Antarius Scorpio - impérial chevalier-dragon 50 ;
    Artémidore de Corbeaulieu - bréton lame noire 50 ;
    Azothos Sadras - elfe noir sorcier 50 ;
    Celestras - haut-elfe sorcier 50 ;
    Diluviatar - elfe des mers sorcier 50 ;
    Dorguldun gro-Arash - orque sorcier 50 ;
    Hjarnar - nordique sorcier 50 ;
    Jendaya al-Gilane - rougegarde chevalier-dragon 50 ;