The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Scalding Rune. AOE and Single Target?

_Kaziel_
_Kaziel_
I've been wondering if Scalding Rune is boosted by the Inferno single target damage passive or not.

The initial part, rune on the ground explosion, is obviously an AoE... however I assume the DOT that each enemy gets is considered single target (like Entropy).

Has anyone tested this?

Best Answer

• universal_wrath
    universal_wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    _Kaziel_ wrote: »
    I've been wondering if Scalding Rune is boosted by the Inferno single target damage passive or not.

The initial part, rune on the ground explosion, is obviously an AoE... however I assume the DOT that each enemy gets is considered single target (like Entropy).

Has anyone tested this?

I tested it on live and ut went like this:

Lighting staff buffs initial explosion and dot is not affected

Fire staff does not effect initial explsion but buff dot.
    Answer ✓
  • _Kaziel_
    _Kaziel_

Has anyone tested this?

Thank you, much appreciated :smile:
  • Everest_Lionheart
    Everest_Lionheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone tested this?

So if I had scalding tune back barred on a lightning staff but switched to a flame staff on front bar would I get the benefit of the bigger initial hit plus extra damage to each tick of the dot on the inferno bar?
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone tested this?

So if I had scalding tune back barred on a lightning staff but switched to a flame staff on front bar would I get the benefit of the bigger initial hit plus extra damage to each tick of the dot on the inferno bar?

You will have to be on backbar when it explodes, 2 seconds after you casted it, but I am pretty sure that it will hit harder anyway on frontbar, since you have mage light and second set bonus on it.
  • _Kaziel_
    _Kaziel_

Has anyone tested this?

AFAIK, Single Target DoTs are influenced by the stats of the bar you were on when casting the ability. AoE's future ticks however inherit new stats after you switch to Front bar (e.g. Wall of Elements, Lightning Flood etc). So in essence, if you crit more on Front bar those AoE's will crit more than if you stayed on Back bar. This doesn't work for Single Target DoTs though.

So that's why I put Scalding or any single target (Destructive Reach, Entropy etc) abilities on Front Bar.
  • universal_wrath
    universal_wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone tested this?

I also tested this, the dot will scale on what ever staff you are equip. You can cast scalding rune on lighting staff bar and wait for the explusion to happen, then you can swap to fure staff to buff up the dot.

Has anyone tested this?

AFAIK, Single Target DoTs are influenced by the stats of the bar you were on when casting the ability. AoE's future ticks however inherit new stats after you switch to Front bar (e.g. Wall of Elements, Lightning Flood etc). So in essence, if you crit more on Front bar those AoE's will crit more than if you stayed on Back bar. This doesn't work for Single Target DoTs though.

So that's why I put Scalding or any single target (Destructive Reach, Entropy etc) abilities on Front Bar.

I did test scalding rune, destructive reach, entropy, and consuming trap, all of them were scaling with equiped weapon. They do not carry to front or bar bar. If you have fure staff on back bar and you cast any of those skills, the DOT will scale with fire staff and current offensive stats, as soon as you swap to front lighting staff, all abod DOTs will be affected by lighting staff and front bar stats and vise versa. As far as I know, nightblade skill cripple is the only single damage damage over time skill that is effected by what bar you casted on and carry it to other bar unchanged. You can test it yourself on target dummy to make sure.
  • _Kaziel_
    _Kaziel_

Has anyone tested this?

I also tested this, the dot will scale on what ever staff you are equip. You can cast scalding rune on lighting staff bar and wait for the explusion to happen, then you can swap to fure staff to buff up the dot.

Has anyone tested this?

I did test scalding rune, destructive reach, entropy, and consuming trap, all of them were scaling with equiped weapon. They do not carry to front or bar bar. If you have fure staff on back bar and you cast any of those skills, the DOT will scale with fire staff and current offensive stats, as soon as you swap to front lighting staff, all abod DOTs will be affected by lighting staff and front bar stats and vise versa. As far as I know, nightblade skill cripple is the only single damage damage over time skill that is effected by what bar you casted on and carry it to other bar unchanged. You can test it yourself on target dummy to make sure.

Ah ok, that must've changed since I last played a few years ago then. Thanks for the update :smile:
  • universal_wrath
    universal_wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone tested this?

Has anyone tested this?

Ah ok, that must've changed since I last played a few years ago then. Thanks for the update :smile:

You are most welcome, feel free to try cripple, it might have changed.