The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Re-work UNDO, not AOE"s, to fix performance

JohnnyTaco112
JohnnyTaco112
✭✭
It occurred to me recently that most players are running Temporal Guard on their back bar these days, which means the servers are having to keep up with "the last 3 seconds" constantly, for MOST players. Where you were, what resources you had, for the last 3 seconds CONSTANTLY. Temporal Guard passively grants Minor Protection just for being slotted, which is both very valuable AND hard to come by, which is why so many of us have been running it. However, almost no one uses it for the "Undo" aspect. So maybe lets just take that aspect away and re-work it to be less strenuous on the game?

So many have pointed out that servers have always been populated, full of good players doing huge things, but performance has only been a bad issue for the last few years.. which is about when Summerset came out. So maybe it's Undo. Lets re-work Undo and it's morphs, keep combat crazy fun and full of AOE's, and see how the smart/group healing system changes helps fix things for a bit before we start overhauling things that make this game unique and awesome.
Edited by JohnnyTaco112 on August 14, 2020 2:00PM
  • Nairinhe
    Nairinhe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised if this info is stored anyway. Also, it's only storing values, not calculations with them
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a good point about that ultimate. However, I think people confuse Zos testing something with them actually changing things like how they tested it. We know from the history of this game that does not happen like that.

1. Zos tested all campaigns with CP turned off a few years ago to see what the effect would be. We can see that they did not remove CP from all campaigns and left things untouched.
    2. Zos did an off-cycle PTS test of some specific changes to combat. They heeded our comments and did not go forward with the changes and are considering other options.

The tests will give them information and we should test and give Zos feedback on the actual tests vs speculating.
  • Tammany
    Tammany
    ✭✭✭✭
    Saving few kylobites of player's stats and position for the last 3 seconds is surely recource consuming for 2020 servers.
    Wait, it's not.

Standart game servers save billion combat stats/logs, so game dev could easy say how much damage you did recieve In The Rift at 12:32 last Friday by some critter u taunted for fun and where exactly that happened. Executing these stats in one particular ability is not hard nor res consuming.

Aoe changes aimed to CALCULATION action server performs each time the player press a skill, and this action takes some recources because there are milllion checks for an aoe avility (compare to single one)
    In your example, calculation of stats and position has been made anyway, will you press the undo or not.
    Edited by Tammany on August 15, 2020 4:48PM
  • Ultravylence
    Ultravylence
    ✭✭✭
    The "Undo" aspect has been severely bugged for some time now as well in Cyrodiil. These days if I "Accidentally" am on the wrong bar and actually use the ultimate, I tend to rubber band around for some time before settling into a stuck position where I cannot move or attack much of anything. You convulse around for a while, and may eventually unstuck yourself or get killed by AOE.

I would be thrilled to see a re-work of this ability to something worth using for more then its amazing passive.
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I actually use undo when outnumbered and an offensive ultimate won't help. It's been very buggy from the beginning, and as much fun as it can be when it works, I'm OK with it being something else that does work more than half the time.

Ultravylence is right, you get into some repetitive rubber-banding after using it which defeats the whole purpose as an escape mechanism. Going back in time, then spazzing out for what seems like the same amount of time you went back (3-4 seconds) is a new bug introduced to this skill in Greymoor. Pre-Greymoor it would consume your ultimate and do nothing else besides an animation. Now, you go back in time only to be anchored to the spot you came from.
    Fear is the Mindkiller