Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Yet another newbie with questions

ManmeriMage
ManmeriMage
Soul Shriven
Hi. I'm a relatively new player to ESO, and it's my first MMO. I'm playing on the xbox. I expected to do everything solo when I began, but obviously some challenges are really difficult if not impossible for one player, plus I'd like to communicate with other players sometimes, even if just to say 'good job' or 'thanks for the help'. I've been using emotes, but most players don't emote back. I tried basic text chat, but no one replied. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I'd like to try guild chat to attempt to find like-minded players for a group rather than the random bunch you get when you use the activity-finder, but I'm not sure how to chat with just a specific guild, or a specific group or player for that matter. What do all the listed chat options mean, and how are they used? I'd also like to donate unused items to other players or make equipment for them, maybe trade a little, but I'm not sure how to do that either. I hear that's what guilds are for, but how does it work? The unaffiliated guild-traders I've found won't allow me to do anything, and the affiliated guild-traders for me are too far away from my current location, in areas of the world I've not yet been to. So, if you wouldn't mind, please help me with (xbox) text communication specifics and guild functions. I appreciate your time and wisdom!
  • Hämähäkki
    Hämähäkki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello there,

Well first of all, if you want to trade you have to join a trading guild. You can not just go up to a guild trader you find while questing and start trading. There are a couple of ways to join such a guild. The best way is to just ask in zone chat. For example "LF trading guild" and most of the time someone sends you an invite. Or you go to the xbox guild site here on the forum and look there.
    Talking about chating with other people you have also a couple of options.
    1. whisper to the player you want to talk to
    2. use zone chat
    3. use guild chat (you need to be in a guild to do that)
    4. use emotes (but some people just don't care to respond)
    5. use group chat (you need to group up with someone to do that)

You can also use voice chat if thats an option for you. But the zone voice chat is not very private so you should use a group or guild chat for that.

I hope that helps a little :)
    TherealHämähäkki
  • ManmeriMage
    ManmeriMage
    Soul Shriven
    @ Hämähäkki

Thanks for your quick reply. If you wouldn't mind some follow-up questions:
    - I am in a guild, my affiliated guild. That guild's trader is in a distant part of Tamriel I haven't been to. I've found traders for other guilds, unaffiliated guilds, but I can't figure out how to do anything with them, if that's possible. Can I do anything with unaffiliated traders? Can I access my own guild's trading functions without being face-to-face with my guild's trader? If so, how exactly?
    - I see the option for text chat, and I see a dropdown list for different kinds of chat. When I tried to chat, I didn't select anything from the dropdown. I just typed a message immediately after clicking on 'text chat'. What kind of chat was that by default? I saw all types of chat listed in the text window... some of it identified as zone chat or guild chat, plus script from the in-game townspeople too. Can I text to just my guildmembers and filter out everything else, so I see only their texts, and only they see mine? if so, how do I do that exactly?
    - As far as other types of chat... I assume zone chat applies only to everyone in a specific part of the continent, like zone chat for Glenumbra only, so only those currently in Glenumbra can see it and reply? I'd like to be able to type a short message in the text bubble above my character's head, like the text emotes but with my own text. Is that possible, and if so, how exactly?
    - In the roster for my guild, I see some members have a short message, one or two lines, added to their listing. When I look at my listing, I don't see any obvious editing option to allow me to add a message. How did they do that (with xbox)?

Thanks again!
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @ Hämähäkki

Thanks for your quick reply. If you wouldn't mind some follow-up questions:
    - I am in a guild, my affiliated guild. That guild's trader is in a distant part of Tamriel I haven't been to. I've found traders for other guilds, unaffiliated guilds, but I can't figure out how to do anything with them, if that's possible. Can I do anything with unaffiliated traders? Can I access my own guild's trading functions without being face-to-face with my guild's trader? If so, how exactly?
    - I see the option for text chat, and I see a dropdown list for different kinds of chat. When I tried to chat, I didn't select anything from the dropdown. I just typed a message immediately after clicking on 'text chat'. What kind of chat was that by default? I saw all types of chat listed in the text window... some of it identified as zone chat or guild chat, plus script from the in-game townspeople too. Can I text to just my guildmembers and filter out everything else, so I see only their texts, and only they see mine? if so, how do I do that exactly?
    - As far as other types of chat... I assume zone chat applies only to everyone in a specific part of the continent, like zone chat for Glenumbra only, so only those currently in Glenumbra can see it and reply? I'd like to be able to type a short message in the text bubble above my character's head, like the text emotes but with my own text. Is that possible, and if so, how exactly?
    - In the roster for my guild, I see some members have a short message, one or two lines, added to their listing. When I look at my listing, I don't see any obvious editing option to allow me to add a message. How did they do that (with xbox)?

Thanks again!

You can access your guild store at any bank in a town.

You can buy from other guild traders, but not sell. You can only list items for sale with your guild store/s. Since we can belong to 5 player guilds, [as long as the guild has a guild store or won a trade kiosk] we can sell items at all of our guild stores.

"Default chat" was probably zone chat. Or people using /say

If you want to use guild chat, in the chat box type /guild1 or /guild2 or /g1 or /g2 etc. In the settings you can set the font color for your guilds to make it a little easier to keep which guild you're chatting to clear. Not completely clear on how that works for console though.

Depending on how your guild is set up, you might not be able to edit the player note. A guild officer might have to do it for you.
  • SpiritofESO
    SpiritofESO
    ✭✭✭
    I use emotes all the time -- it's my main form of communication since chatting by text chat takes too long.

I have one "wheel" full of emotes for basic communication and entertainment emotes (like "Play Lute").

Voice chat is probably the best mode of communication for groups -- by the way, not everybody likes hearing voice chat.

:o
    • ~ PS NA ~ ALDMERI DOMINION ~
    • IVY GOLDBLADE, WOOD ELF NIGHTBLADE, Former Empress
    • IVY GOLDBLAZE, HIGH ELF TEMPLAR
    • "Adapt or Die"