Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

What to buy with Crowns

Skye
Skye
✭✭
Hi!
I was wondering what the best thing for a new player to spend crowns on is. I have 1600 currently, but I am thinking about getting ESO Plus (The craft bag seems so nice rather than having to deal with inventory all the time) which will put me to 3250. I am also thinking about getting the 10 dollar Newcomer pack that has 1500 crowns and pet. So I'd have 4750.

I don't have Elswyr, so that is an option, but I think I'd rather wait until my character gets closer to that content (I am trying to do everything in order).

I am thinking about getting the starter packs in the crown store for 1050, especially the one on sale for 550 that includes the Crown Lesson scrolls. Is there anything else I should get with crowns as a new player?
  • Aisleyne
    Aisleyne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Individual play style, focus, and priorities are different for everyone. People may be able to advise you, but in the end, only you can know what matters to your game play. My suggestion to you, especially as a new player, would be not to be in a rush to spend your crowns. Save them up until you see something you really want or notice something that you need. Wait until you understand the game and items' value to you.

If you are a person who cares about your characters appearance, the only thing I would recommend to you starting out is a costume you like so that you won't have to worry about the look of whatever mish mash armor you'll be picking up.

And a note of caution: some items in the crown store are available in game for a much better value than in the crown store. You may want to check before you waste crowns.
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Please watch youtube videos about opening multiple crown crates before buying them, the drop rates are atrocious.

If you aren't after any DLC, you don't really need eso+ until you get more stuff to put away. In game gold increases your bank and carry bag limits. The base game has hundreds of hours of content that don't require eso+.

Almost all of the crown items you get for player use can be obtained in the game - a player guild can help introduce you to crafting better than anything you pay real money for.

Crowns and in game gold can be exchanged with other players through gifting. Be careful, there are scams out there.

Vampire and Werewolf curses can be obtained/cured in game for free.

The riding lessons are all I can see of use to a new player that they can't get from other players. Sorry its more of a DO NOT list, but you don't want buyer's remorse from spending irl money on crown tri-restoration pots.
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • SpiritofESO
    SpiritofESO
    ✭✭✭
    :D
    Edited by SpiritofESO on June 29, 2024 7:24PM
    • ~ PS NA ~ ALDMERI DOMINION ~
    • SPIRIT GOLDBLADE, WOOD ELF NIGHTBLADE, Former Empress
    • "Adapt or Die"
  • Skye
    Skye
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all the responses everyone!

I think I'll wait on getting ESO plus but I'll pick up the newcomer pack and save the crowns for when I know more about what I need and what I want.

I appreciate all the answers. :)
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Can't go wrong with the storage chests. You will never regret those
  • Aisleyne
    Aisleyne
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I would if I'd spent crowns on them before I realized they were available in game. New players need to be made aware of these things so that they can make informed decisions instead of spending crowns blindly.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Aisleyne wrote: »

I would if I'd spent crowns on them before I realized they were available in game. New players need to be made aware of these things so that they can make informed decisions instead of spending crowns blindly.

I guess, if you want to do the crafting writs. Was assuming this OP had crowns to burn as he was talking about lessons scrolls
  • Skye
    Skye
    ✭✭

I guess, if you want to do the crafting writs. Was assuming this OP had crowns to burn as he was talking about lessons scrolls

I was just saying that I am thinking about getting the Adept Starter Pack while its on sale for 550 crowns since it seems like a good deal with the 15 lesson scrolls.
  • Aisleyne
    Aisleyne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    New players aren't always aware of how things work and what's available which is why I personally recommend waiting until there's a better understanding of the game to spend crowns.

@Skye As far as the Adept Starter Pack specifically, it's not a bad deal especially if you are interested in the horse or costumes. I would not spend money on consumables generally because you'll likely get more from login rewards than you'll know what to do with. If you do want to spend crowns on riding lessons anyway, it's a good value.

But I just want to be sure you know that you can train your mount at any stable master once a day(every 20hrs) for only 250 gold. Some people still choose to buy lessons because they don't want to wait to max them. This is especially true for people who have been playing a long time and are used to maxed out mounts on other characters and for people focused on Cyrodil (PVP) where having speed and stamina are important.
  • goldCoaster
    goldCoaster
    ✭✭✭
    All the new zones, obviously.

Or the camel. The best mount in the game.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't buy ANYTHING with crowns if you're totally new to the game.
    Save them for later, when you know the game, what you like and don't like, and are able to make educated choices within the crown store offers.
  • Eifleber
    Eifleber
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most useful two items are your personal Banker and Merchant.
    You will use them EVERY DAY.

This. This will save you SO MUCH time.

DO NOT buy starter packs!!!
    Storage chests are nice - but you can attain them in game as well.

Edited by Eifleber on August 18, 2020 6:47AM

Playing since dec 2019 | PC EU
  • Malborn66
    Malborn66
    ✭✭✭
    Much of the Starter Pack stuff comes to you in bits via Daily Rewards.
    So not really a good investment.

Also do the 'get a House quests', it should be virtually free to you and gives you a no-cost bug out place from anywhere (assuming you ar not in combat).

I am an olde player and mainly spend my crown on buying Motifs for my master craftsman.
    Malborn66
    PC-EU
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least on steam the newbie pack with salamander was the cheapest way of getting 1500 crowns last time I looked.

You don't actually *need* crowns.

For houses - do the get a house quest. The next size up is 15,000 gold or so which is peanuts once you are progressing in game. Then if you want a big house do the Elsweyr quest line and you'll get the temple in Rimmen which is *huge* and basically as good a base for anything as the super pricy crown only stuff (It's also a good story line - especially the dragonguard end of it in southern elsweyr too, with some great boss fight stuff)

Too many toons not enough time
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Skye wrote: »

I was just saying that I am thinking about getting the Adept Starter Pack while its on sale for 550 crowns since it seems like a good deal with the 15 lesson scrolls.

Your call. You're basically buying 15 days of riding. I don't think riding scrolls are worth anything. You're just paying for time.
  • josiahva
    josiahva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only buy actual content with crowns....whether that is dungeon packs, chapters, Imperial race option, banker/merchant, or storage chests....actual content is what you are after...I would avoid all cosmetics unless you just have to have it.